• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

Audioboxer

FINALLY.

CameraZOOM-20110320152742.jpg

Finished yesterday. This one just manages to edge out Yakuza 2 as the best game in the series. A little disappointed that The End is coming as opposed to a true Yakuza 5, oh well.

Red Blaster said:
Finished yesterday. This one just manages to edge out Yakuza 2 as the best game in the series. A little disappointed that The End is coming as opposed to a true Yakuza 5, oh well.

haha, i have the same feelings :D been playing like "got to enjoy all of this now because it's going to be a loooong time until we get a Yakuza 5"

Of the End was fun, sure, but not in the same vein as the main series.

Red Blaster said:

Yakuza 5 will come out after the end. So far it has been 2 mainline games 1 game that is different. Even the director said Yakuza 5 would be made at TGS last year when The End was announced.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm happy to see positive impressions of the game. Unfortunately, law school has informed me that I don't have time to play the game this week, but this weekend.... oh boy. Ima go nuts on this game. Wanted to play Crysis 2 this week as well, but it takes a back seat to The Adventures of Kiryu-chan.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Red Blaster said:
Don't worry. I'm sure we'll get Kenzan before 5 as well.

Right? Right.

Yuterald

Red Blaster said:

I agree. I will say though that there isn't a 'bad' Yakuza game. I've put 100 hours into Yakuza 3 and thoroughly enjoyed Yakuza 1 & 2 back when I played them around their release. But Yakuza 4 just felt like the culmination of all their ideas, refined to perfection. The story and attention to character detail was just phenomenal in this game.

I can't wait for Of the End to be released in the states, but I know it won't spark the same feeling that Yakuza 4 tapped into. I am close to my Platinum in Yakuza 3 and I am working on Yakuza 4's plat now. I think once I do what I want to do in these games I am going to head back and play the first two Yakuza games and get really into their post game 100% stuff. Hopefully by then Yakuza 5 will be out lol!

At least when Yakuza 5 releases we can look forward to some
Saejima family drama!

WTF I took 15 gambling aides with me and still lost it all : (

ok, so PACHINKO

Wtf is this game and what am I doing wrong. I had 400 'spins' on each of two machines and never once got a jackpot. It seems (no offense) like this is just an insanely shitty slot machine you have to play $10 to play.

Can I actually do anything besides adjust the shot power which doesn't effect the rate of balls dropping the slot spot? I mean I can't change direction can I? The direction keep using the word 'aim' put the left and right and PUSH don't do anything even if I press it every time it lights up. Wasted ~ 3 hours playing and just watching this thing fail over and over. HELP!~!!!!!

I ended up buying this game now (as opposed to after I finish yakuza 3), after all the good impressions (=> me want to support sega doing the right thing for once) + the best buy deal.

This is a bit off-topic, but has anyone played Yakuza: Black panther (the PSP game)?
Is it worth it at all? I can't seem to find anything like thePatrick's faq for it. I am pretty sure my japanese is not good enough to enjoy a JP yakuza without a side faq. :(

The completionist in me is sad.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
harriet the spy said:
I ended up buying this game now (as opposed to after I finish yakuza 3), after all the good impressions (=> me want to support sega doing the right thing for once) + the best buy deal.

This is a bit off-topic, but has anyone played Yakuza: Black panther (the PSP game)?
Is it worth it at all? I can't seem to find anything like thePatrick's faq for it. I am pretty sure my japanese is not good enough to enjoy a JP yakuza without a side faq. :(

The completionist in me is sad.
So much text would make it seem like a hassle to play it even with a guide.

That said, that one will never come over here so I guess it wouldn't hurt to try

harriet the spy said:

it propably isn't, its mostly comicbook-style cutscenes so it might be really boring to play with just a guide. Kenzan with all the cool action going on in the cutscenes is still pretty decent with a guide.

Noisepurge said:
it propably isn't, its mostly comicbook-style cutscenes so it might be really boring to play with just a guide. Kenzan with all the cool action going on in the cutscenes is still pretty decent with a guide.

Yeah, I picked up Kenzan from a Don Quixote when I went to Kabuki-cho in October (which by the way, wow, if you've played multiple Yakuza games the deja-vu sense is amazing - I even bought it from the Don near where you always start) and yeah, it's just not import friendly at all...I'm more or less using trial and error on everything.

Y4 came out at a really terrible time (Pokemon, Dragon Age, etc) but damn, it's really good. Just immediately sucked back into the flow of hunting for keys, beating up thugs and finding good ramen/booze afterward.

Facism

Traded in Krapzone 3 today to get this.

Loving it so far. Feels like the Yakuza formula polished up so shiny.

God damn. Looks like tonight il work towards that trophy. I almost had it with akiyama but got careless. Darts tho...got a three bullseye and three triple 20. Love this god damned game!

I imported black panther but im not aware of a guide yet. I love it especially the fighting system would have loved for them to localize it.

rvy

Banned
You really do earn a glorious amount of money for this trophy :D

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/gavdeeimages/CameraZOOM-20110320191942.jpg[IMG]

Just started Chapter 4 with Akiyama.[/QUOTE]
[B][I][U]Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit![/U][/I][/B]

Noisepurge said:
If the general story is translated, I am sure it would be doable (I played Kenzan like that and enjoyed it). I vaguely googled for an english patch but all I find are pirate iso sites, so I am pretty sure it's bullshit (so some claim to have a patched iso, of course there are no videos showing any proof. Fucking kids..)

Too bad, the game looked enjoyable...

Boogie9IGN said:
The rock challenge in the sewers is fucking retarded, smfh

You mean the one where you have to protect Master from the incoming boulders? That one's not too bad, just quickstep and take each out with one punch.

8bit

Knows the Score
In the Mah-Jongg parlour for Tanimura's introduction I was so delighted to note the background music was Concept of Love from Jet Set Radio Future.

Backflip

8bit said:
In the Mah-Jongg parlour for Tanimura's introduction I was so delighted to note the background music was Concept of Love from Jet Set Radio Future.

I heard a song from Billy Hatcher in one of the Poppo stores. I wonder if there are songs from Shenmue in the game.

Audioboxer

quinntendopower said:
well, i know what i'm trying tonight when i get home..

300, here we come!

Best of luck!

Getting up to 8/9 strikes in a row then making a mistake will make you pull your hair out :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The payoff with Saejima is REALLY good, even if he does look like a unabomber in his outfit.

Y2Kev said:
The payoff with Saejima is REALLY good, even if he does look like a unabomber in his outfit.

A shame you can only change costumes in Premium Adventure mode, walking around town with Saejima dressed as a luchador is awesome.

canadian crowe said:
That's good to hear. I'm really not feeling him as a character or his fighting style.

i love his fighting style, charging those heavy hits with a pretty solid invincibility is awesome :D

Noisepurge said:
i love his fighting style, charging those heavy hits with a pretty solid invincibility is awesome :D
I've been getting my ass kicked with him. I always feeling like he is a sitting duck when he charges.

I'm pretty excited to play as the detective though. I liked him fighting style in the demo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, saejima is like the chun li of yakuza. Not a huge fan of first but I have gotten used to it.

Picked this up yesterday. I never finished 3, or played the first two, but I like this game so far. I will admit keeping up with all the names and story is a bit tedious but the game is certainly humorous and has its own spirit.

explodet

I'm on the final chapter just dicking around with the 4 characters, side missions and such.

My significant other has dubbed this game "Everybody Gets Shot 4".

explodet said:
I'm on the final chapter just dicking around with the 4 characters, side missions and such.

My significant other has dubbed this game "Everybody Gets Shot 4".

Sounds like a Yakuza game! And I can't wait :)

rocK`

Banned
@Indigo -- not too sure but I saw the option of going there when I went near a cab.

I'm relatively new to the Yakuza franchise (started 4 last night). Good God this game is amazing, I'm already getting a great feel for the combat, story and non-combat driven activities.

I'll come back later after I dig into it more for a better review, but I like what I'm seeing.

rocK` said:
@Indigo -- not too sure but I saw the option of going there when I went near a cab.

I'm relatively new to the Yakuza franchise (started 4 last night). Good God this game is amazing, I'm already getting a great feel for the combat, story and non-combat driven activities.

I'll come back later after I dig into it more for a better review, but I like what I'm seeing.

Ah ok, must be available later on then. That's how it was in 3.

DJChuy

I'm having trouble with the Welcome to Club Sega trophy. I played boxcellios and UFO catcher, but the trophy didn't unlock. I played them in the other Club Sega, but to no avail. Am I missing something because I can't seem to find anything else.

Top Bottom