• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

Audioboxer

BobTheFork said:
Seriously can anyone tell me what's up with the pachinko? Still having the same issues

Is that the one in the Sega Arcade where you buy balls and it's based around Virtua Fighter?

I played that once and had absolutely no fucking idea what was going on. I was just button mashing and firing balls everywhere.

explodet

DJChuy said:
I'm having trouble with the Welcome to Club Sega trophy. I played boxcellios and UFO catcher, but the trophy didn't unlock. I played them in the other Club Sega, but to no avail. Am I missing something because I can't seem to find anything else.
This one was dumb.

As Akiyama, play Boxchellios II three times. It will unlock Boxchellios I.
Play that to pop the trophy.

finished it yesterday

GOTY so far, easily. might even end up being my overall GOTY, including stuff like Dark Souls. In terms of story and characters, i honestly can't see myself liking anything more in that respect.

have 43 hours on it, and the first thing i'm doing when i get home is going for another 8 hour session!

fighter maker! AHHHHHH why is this game so much fun?!

Is that the one in the Sega Arcade where you buy balls and it's based around Virtua Fighter?

I played that once and had absolutely no fucking idea what was going on. I was just button mashing and firing balls everywhere.

Yeh, I played that for the first time last night :) Exactly the same response to it... just those tiny balls flying out, and the most insane things appearing on the screen with no idea what's happening.

I haven't played any of the Yakuza games before, this is my first one, and I'm loving it... Really good characters, nice story, and the environment is fabulous. I've never played anything quite like it, it's an eclectic mix, but a brilliant one.

As a noobie to Yakuza, couple of questions... How difficult does the game get? Do I have to strategise my fight upgrades, or can I just play my gut? Is there enough XP to get all upgrades, or do you miss out on some?

How important is the optional stuff, looking at the thread people have spent ages on the bowling, darts and what-not... Is this just for completism, or is it stuff that I need to get through the game?

I believe there's NG+ when you complete, or at least "free roam", so I was going to go through primarily the story and side quests first, and focus on the fetch quests (locker keys, sports etc) after 1st completing the game. That a decent strategy?

DJChuy

explodet said:
This one was dumb.

Got it. Thanks. Boxcellios I is a whole lot easier than II.

Damn Kiryu's chapters are short. I was going to take my time with him, but I'm on chapter 4 already. Think I'll just blast through to the final chapter so I can mix the guys up and do side content.

jorgeton

explodet said:
This one was dumb.

Did not know Boxchellios I was included in this! Does this unlocking work even if I'm in Tanimura's chapter?

Argh for fuck's sake (part 4 spoiler)
this series has got to get over over relying on the whole, oh but he's not dead yet and he has a gun ploy. It's a cheap trick that contrary to what the writer's think doesn't add emotional depth to the plot. In fact the complete opposite.

klee123

Trevelyon said:
Anyone know if the Aus street date has been broken? Have read a few people picked it up yesterday in a Sydney EB.

Well, not sure about Sydney, but I got mine yesterday and I'm at Brissy.

hamchan

Die Squirrel Die said:
Argh for fuck's sake (part 4 spoiler)
this series has got to get over over relying on the whole, oh but he's not dead yet and he has a gun ploy. It's a cheap trick that contrary to what the writer's think doesn't add emotional depth to the plot. In fact the complete opposite.

It's pretty much a standard to the series now.

Trevelyon

klee123 said:
Well, not sure about Sydney, but I got mine yesterday and I'm at Brissy.

We talking EB? Rang my locals (Perth) and they have no word of any street date breaking.

Might be an east coast thing with distribution slower to make it here.

IrishNinja

man, im still early (ch 4) in part 3 and im actually enjoying the mindless dog-chasing sidequest shit, but ya'll are making me wanna hurry through and get to this magic. dammit.

Edgeward

Started this yesterday and walked into the convenience store, it then played "the concept of love." Mind is fucking blown, I love Yakuza even more now.

I'm at a story part where it says I need to recruit girls for the hostess bar. Thing is I can't find any! I remember in the day a girl or two mentioning hosting but I can't find them at night. Hostess dude says in front of Millenium Tower, Underground Mall or Bars but there are no girls to speak to. What am I missing?

Never mind, thought I was looking for lots of girls when it was just the one.

Audioboxer

Akiyama has 3 hostesses right?

Just done 3 fully, netted 30,000 exp but spent an unholy amount of money >:[

I do love that you get to play dress em up with your own hostess club. This game is just so confident in itself it can do anything alongside letting you practically curb people's faces in and not be embarrassed. What other games let you do girls makeup and then walk outside and finish someone off by ramming a magazine up their arse?

Dude, they really put
Ken Master (no S)
in the game?

EDIT: How do you perform Saejima's revelation moves? The ones which require the enemy to bounce off a wall/floor? I'm in Heat mode and the option never comes up. I make sure I'm not following up triangle with another triangle because that string produces another combo right?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Hapkido teacher/MMA fighter in Australia got a Kazuma tattoo that Sega paid for :x

yakuza4-tattoo-2.jpg

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3033914

Its pretty sweet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Akiyama has 3 hostesses right?

Just done 3 fully, netted 30,000 exp but spent an unholy amount of money >:[

I do love that you get to play dress em up with your own hostess club. This game is just so confident in itself it can do anything alongside letting you practically curb people's faces in and not be embarrassed. What other games let you do girls makeup and then walk outside and finish someone off by ramming a magazine up their arse?
Where do you find the other hostesses? I found one by Millennium Tower but haven't found the others.

Do you need to hit a trigger before you can recruit more than one girl?

BeeDog

Yay, my Steelbook Edition finally arrived, can't wait to dig in. This steelbook looks awesome, one of the better PS3 steelbooks by far. Though I have to say, the rock track playing over the installation screen makes me want to puke. HURRY UP DAMNIT!

EDIT: Oh, before I begin, what difficulty level is recommended? Should I start on Hard like in Y3 to be able to get that trophy?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BeeDog said:
Yay, my Steelbook Edition finally arrived, can't wait to dig in. This steelbook looks awesome, one of the better PS3 steelbooks by far. Though I have to say, the rock track playing over the installation screen makes me want to puke. HURRY UP DAMNIT!

EDIT: Oh, before I begin, what difficulty level is recommended? Should I start on Hard like in Y3 to be able to get that trophy?
You need to play on Normal if you want to get the Plat trophy anyway, so...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, it's weird. One is to beat the game on Normal without switching to Easy. One is to beat the game on EX-Hard, but you need to beat the game on Hard to unlock it... so, yeah. :lol

I guess with Premium New Game, it's supposed to be easier?

swoon

Wait there isn't a trophy for beating it on hard? If I switch from hard to normal would i get that the beat game on normal without switching to easy?

33-Hit-Combo said:
Dude, they really put
Ken Master (no S)
in the game?

EDIT: How do you perform Saejima's revelation moves? The ones which require the enemy to bounce off a wall/floor? I'm in Heat mode and the option never comes up. I make sure I'm not following up triangle with another triangle because that string produces another combo right?

the wallbounce is abit tricky, you need to get an enemy's back against a wall, do the three [] hit combo and finish with a /\ heavy hit, and when the enemy bounces off the wall and is on his knees, press /\ to pick him up and smash his head against the wall. The level-up continuation of this once you do it a few times is superbrutal :D just like Akiyamas knee to the head.

And i mean come on! thats like MURDER! :D

my copy finally got here, &, after 2+ hrs, i can safely say that the yakuza series is absolutely, positively among my half-dozen favorites evar! took the time to watch the y1 story summary, & it reminded me of how unexpectedly blown away, & totally delighted, i was :) ....

for me, the quality of the dialog, storytelling, & humor in these games far surpasses just about any other existing action/adventure franchise. add to that all the other goodness, & the consistent improvements from one episode to the next, & you've got (afa western gaming, anyway) likely the most under-appreciated high-quality series there is...

(insert mandatory 'please localize kenzan! & black leopard, sega!!!' here...)

swoon

quinntendopower said:
i got a trophy for finishing it on hard.

the other is Normal mode without reverting to Easy, and EX Hard.

yea, but isn't that one just the one for beating the game?

I need about 3.4 million Yen to get the walking bank trophy. I've already used the green jewel on the roulette table and done Tanimura's
Russian Roulette
substory. Anything that'll get me there quick? None of the other gambling aids seem up to much.

Speaking of which, how are you meant to get 10000 chips in a single hand for the blackjack/poker mission complete?

Mahjong is so much more complicated than Canto Mahjong... The winning conditions are slightly more complicated, too much for me to handle!

a1m

Banned
I got my awesome Kuro edition yesterday. The case looks stunning in pitch black with two dragons. Now I just need to find some time to play the game.

Boogie9IGN

Red Blaster said:
You mean the one where you have to protect Master from the incoming boulders? That one's not too bad, just quickstep and take each out with one punch.

...I hadn't thought of quickstepping, I just kept running around and getting hit. damn

8bit said:
In the Mah-Jongg parlour for Tanimura's introduction I was so delighted to note the background music was Concept of Love from Jet Set Radio Future.

I saw a poster for the mahjong anime Akagi, thought that was a nice touch!

Clott

How hard is hard? Part 3 and 4 have finally come in the mail, since it's my first time with the series I will play 3 on normal, but would like to play on hard if both are on the easy side?

Go_Ly_Dow

Still playing Akiyama's section and just reached
Lily's challenge

Do more substories become available the further you progress or can a lot of them be accessed straight away? I've completed 3-4 at the moment but cant seem to find anymore.

Clott said:
How hard is hard? Part 3 and 4 have finally come in the mail, since it's my first time with the series I will play 3 on normal, but would like to play on hard if both are on the easy side?

i thought yakuza 3 was pretty easy on normal. But yakuza 4 has definately been more challenging on normal. and there is a trophy if you complete it on EX-hard that unlocks only after you beat it on hard :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
33-Hit-Combo said:
Mahjong is so much more complicated than Canto Mahjong... The winning conditions are slightly more complicated, too much for me to handle!
God yeah, the betting rules almost change the entire strategy. I'm glad I finally get a chance to play a decent game of Japanese mahjong though. :lol

M_Night said:
Lily's challenge

Do more substories become available the further you progress or can a lot of them be accessed straight away? I've completed 3-4 at the moment but cant seem to find anymore.
Some require certain time conditions and some require you to finish previous ones first, but they should unlock as the game progresses through the chapters.

Audioboxer

Die Squirrel Die said:
I need about 3.4 million Yen to get the walking bank trophy. I've already used the green jewel on the roulette table and done Tanimura's
Russian Roulette
substory. Anything that'll get me there quick? None of the other gambling aids seem up to much.

Speaking of which, how are you meant to get 10000 chips in a single hand for the blackjack/poker mission complete?

As I posted in here already, the perfect bowling trophy is worth 3 million.

Mikhal

M_Night said:
Lily's challenge

If you want to know if any substories are available, check out the bar Shellac located in the Champion District. There's a man there that will tell you the locations of them if any are available. I usually keep going back to him after each one is completed (or at least initiated so it appears on the substory screen) until he says there's no more rumors, continue the main story, and check back with him after to see if any more pops up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Mikhal said:
If you want to know if any substories are available, check out the bar Shellac located in the Champion District. There's a man there that will tell you the locations of them if any are available. I usually keep going back to him after each one is completed (or at least initiated so it appears on the substory screen) until he says there's no more rumors, continue the main story, and check back with him after to see if any more pops up.

All games in the series needed this...

Mikhal said:

excellent! - thanks for the info! while many of the side-missions can be pretty mundane, there're always a few truly bizarre 'don't miss' ones, & it's usually tracking them all down, rather than going to hostess bars or playing mini-games, that chews up most of my playtime...

explodet

33-Hit-Combo said:
My god. What better way to
talk a suicidal man down than to throw them off the building with a Heat move
I did the EXACT SAME THING, it was the first thing I did 'cause my Heat was maxed out.

Funniest damn thing I'd seen in a while.

Top Bottom