• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

I just started Kiryu's story, but I went to reminisce about Yakuza 1 (forgot/didn't do most of the other games but I'm gonna finish this one for sure) and I noticed that I don't have any videos of Tanimura's third chapter. Was there none or is the entire chapter optional? I do feel his story went by quickly.

Also, some questions. Are the trophies combined across the characters? For example, it says I have broken 80 weapons already but there's one for doing 100 with Kiryu. Does that mean I have 100 to go or just 20?

I'm loving the game but there's so much crap to do. I did some of the stuff I missed in earlier games but I don't see a point in going off to play golf and stuff again. Mahjong is great though, I'll probably give it another shot once I can play with all characters.

the trophy for breaking 100 weapons is kiryu specific.

just use bicycles, they break on one hit, pick up others and repeat.

i only need the mahjong and normal withing continuing and i'll have my platinum yayy

SiegfriedFM said:
Also, some questions. Are the trophies combined across the characters? For example, it says I have broken 80 weapons already but there's one for doing 100 with Kiryu. Does that mean I have 100 to go or just 20?

I imagine that you have to do 100 with just Kiryu for that trophy, given that it specifies him. I mean I got over a million yen with Tanimura but only got the Akiyama's trophy when I made 1 million with him specifically.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just made it to Kazuma. It's so rare you get like 1 good character in a game these days, and now you get 4 in this one.

Tanimura was great. The story really unfurled, you had nice sidemissions, etc.

klee123

Personally so far, I'm liking Saejima and Tanimura the most in terms of gameplay styles.

I find Tanimura really overpowered personally. His parries and heat combos are just way too effective.

I must also mention, the music in the game. It's quite different from the previous games in terms of style. My fav battle track has to be Saejima's theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd4H8u3YKKA

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
damn, 31 hours in and Im still in part 1 chapter 4, and I finished all Akiyama's sidequests!

I guess its time to actually play the story of the game :p

IrishNinja

dgenx said:
damn, 31 hours in and Im still in part 1 chapter 4, and I finished all Akiyama's sidequests!

I guess its time to actually play the story of the game :p

damn, we're like neck & neck here as far as time goes - but how many sidequests does Akiymana have total? i think ive got like 13 or 14 knocked out, with just a hostess one left...i need to explore more, found most of the keys but i gotta be missing something.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
IrishNinja said:
damn, we're like neck & neck here as far as time goes - but how many sidequests does Akiymana have total? i think ive got like 13 or 14 knocked out, with just a hostess one left...i need to explore more, found most of the keys but i gotta be missing something.

Akiyama has like 15 or 16, so you are nearly there. the final one is kinda touching :)

wait.. JUST one hostess left?? can you explain me the hearts? I have 4 sets with RIo. how that does work?

IrishNinja

dgenx said:
wait.. JUST one hostess left?? can you explain me the hearts? I have 4 sets with RIo. how that does work?

ah, my bad - i literally just started the dress-up part with the hostesses; the one i have in queue is the one where im supposed to be tying out hostess bars for some guy at cuex bar or the like.

Do the hostesses give different responses based on which character you are?

Edit: Looks like you get a different hostess based on who you are. Saejima won't even go into the clubs, lulz.

Edgeward

All of Akiyama's sidequests and hostess club are done! Even got the fashionista trophy, which was kinda borked as I had to buy an extra dress even tho I bought one from every set to get it to pop up. Still in Chap 4 part 1 but now I am maxed out and got all of his shit in order now.

george_us

I'm kind of shocked how good the story has turned out to be. I expected it to be a bit goofy but it's been pretty suspenseful with a ton of mystery. I'm on Tanumura's chapter now and I can't wait to see what happens next!

JEKKI

geeeeez this game is so timesink!

like u play it and crazy hours go by,

which sux coz it's gonna be monday tomorrow and I cant afford much gaming time thru the week :(

SO, I've never played a Yakuza game, I never really knew what they were about or what to think of them.

I watched the GameTrailers vid review, and wholly shit it looks awesome fun time.

The game that I last played that it reminds me of is Shenmue a bit. Is that a reasonable comparison?

Please don't flame me - I have never bothered even checking out the series before so I know DICK ALL about this one, I'm just interested now and would like some feedback.

To list my favourite games this Gen:
Vanquish
Uncharted 2
Crysis 2
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Portal
Batman Arkham Asylum
God of War III

I'm probably not thinking of some but they are the ones that are stand out memories for me.

Do you think I'll like this game?

cazar

Neo Member
ColonialRaptor said:

Well it is hard to say as everyone got different tastes, but if you're into adventure games with a well crafted story then you're in for a treat. The game is Shenmue-esque but stands on its own feet. Besides there's alot of substories and other activities, especially some of the substories are well carved out.

So in short it's game with awesome cast of characters, enthralling and emotional story with some comic moments and top of that there's alot that you can do outside the main story arc.

ColonialRaptor said:

The game has a lot of fighting and a lot of text to read :D So its kind of a combination of God of War and Final Fantasy 7 with a Shenmue heritage.

You have a lot of fighting games there on your list so im sure you will like it, just play on Hard to get a proper challenge out of it.

IrishNinja

Noisepurge said:
The game has a lot of fighting and a lot of text to read :D So its kind of a combination of God of War and Final Fantasy 7 with a Shenmue heritage.

i dont know that i entirely agree with this, but if i was in sega's marketing, id be tempted to put that quote on the box.

hamchan said:
Yeah Tanimura is my favorite guy to play as. You can do a heat move after every square...triangle combo, it's so fun.

This. I just finished as Tanimura and have now begun as Kazuma and I actually miss his fighting style something awful. It was really fluid and seamless, and the parrying move was just the icing on the cake. Fighting as Saejima was just the worst.

Can't say any of them really sticks out as "bad" to me when it comes to their fighting style. I loved Akiyamas fast, drawn-out combos and the raw violence of his Heat actions (kicking a guy endlessly against a wall or ramming his knee in someones face never got old). Saejima is a brute with a useful counter ability, he can grab and throw pretty much anyone and breaks the enemies guard easily with his charge moves. Tanimura can parry and has seamlessly combo-able Heat actions. And Kazuma has something of everything.
Yep, they were all fun to play.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
ColonialRaptor said:
SO, I've never played a Yakuza game, I never really knew what they were about or what to think of them.

*SNIP*

Based on your preferences, I think it might be a bit difficult to enjoy. Graphics are not top notch, fights became repetetive in earlier episodes, but on this version they fix it with multiple characters. It has a shitload of things to do, story is nice, and hits you especially hard first time around if you have been to Japan, because you recognize a lot of stuff. Convenience stores, shops, vending machines, architecture an all that. Later on Kamurocho becomes boring because recycling too much is bad, m'kay. Give the demo a whirl and see how you like it.

@ above - good advice all, thanks guys :)

Ooooh, there's a Demo? Perfect! I will get that and try it out. That will pretty much seal or break the deal for me.

I'll give my feedback as to whether I end up getting it or not ;)

Riposte

I just had a stunning realization.

Yakuza plays like an updated version of the old wrestling games on n64 and whatnot.

hamchan

ColonialRaptor said:
@ above - good advice all, thanks guys :)

Ooooh, there's a Demo? Perfect! I will get that and try it out. That will pretty much seal or break the deal for me.

I'll give my feedback as to whether I end up getting it or not ;)

Isn't the demo just a bunch of fights? If so it doesn't truly represent that the game has a lot of wandering around a smallish open world area just doing a bunch of random fun crap. Also the game has a whole load of cutscenes. Playing these games every year is pretty much like watching a new tv show season every year.

androvsky

Yeah, the Yakuza 4 demo is just some fights, there's no wandering around at all. The fights don't even take place in the regular Kamurocho areas, so you don't get to see the city well.

This might sound strange, but if the Yakuza 3 demo is still up, try that. That one actually gives you some cutscenes, as well as let you run around the city a little bit. Then go buy Yakuza 4. :)

androvsky said:
Yeah, the Yakuza 4 demo is just some fights, there's no wandering around at all. The fights don't even take place in the regular Kamurocho areas, so you don't get to see the city well.

This might sound strange, but if the Yakuza 3 demo is still up, try that. That one actually gives you some cutscenes, as well as let you run around the city a little bit. Then go buy Yakuza 4. :)

I swear neither of the Yakuza demos did anything to help sales. Y3's demo actually put me off for a few months. Y4's almost did the same!

androvsky

33-Hit-Combo said:
I swear neither of the Yakuza demos did anything to help sales. Y3's demo actually put me off for a few months. Y4's almost did the same!

Yeah, even Yakuza 3's demo is pretty restrictive, and dumps the player in the middle of a fairly confusing story if you're new to the franchise. It's still better than the U.S. Yakuza 4 demo. :)

androvsky said:

Theatre Square and Millennium Tower are great venues. :l

androvsky

General Shank-a-snatch said:
Theatre Square and Millennium Tower are great venues. :l

I didn't bother trying to get very far when I realized what the demo was. All I remember is the subway. If it starts out with either of those two, then yes, they're great venues, I just don't remember them.

RedSwirl

Riposte said:

Yakuza plays like an updated version of an the old wrestling games on n64 and whatnot.

The PSP Yakuza spinoff was actually made by the same team as those games.

Riposte said:

Yakuza plays like an updated version of an the old wrestling games on n64 and whatnot.

xmtuag.jpg

Well I'll be...

RedSwirl said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKHdyCv3TMY&feature=related

KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO KOKOYO

I didn't bother trying to get very far when I realized what the demo was. All I remember is the subway. If it starts out with either of those two, then yes, they're great venues, I just don't remember them.

Theatre Square / Rooftop / Subway / In front of Millennium Tower

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wouldn't it be nice if Black Panther got remade or repackaged for PS3 or NGP?

Kind of like uh.. Chain of Memories.

Can't say I care much for Black Panther, let alone a hypothetical remake. The next Yakuza I'm going to play should be something very different from the last games, since I'm kinda fed up with Kamurocho and the same Yakuza stuff over and over again.
I would be a very happy person if SEGA just brought Kenzan over. :(

GeoramA

Amon defeated. Four Yakuza games and this was my first time ever fighting him. Wasn't that hard, just took a long fucking time.

Had a lot of fun with all 62 sub-stories. Some were really touching.

kiryogi

Banned
RedSwirl said:

Wha...? Aki? I did not know this. This might explain why it's probably the most robust entry of them all.

bender

What time is it?
Just bowled a a perfect game. The prize is worth 3 Million Yen in the pawn shop. 0o

I'm going to miss playing as Akiyama. The first two chapters were so amazing.

Y2Kev

klee123 said:
Personally so far, I'm liking Saejima and Tanimura the most in terms of gameplay styles.

I find Tanimura really overpowered personally. His parries and heat combos are just way too effective.

I must also mention, the music in the game. It's quite different from the previous games in terms of style. My fav battle track has to be Saejima's theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd4H8u3YKKA
I love the western/jazzy boss battle theme.

GeoramA

bender said:
Just bowled a a perfect game. The prize is worth 3 Million Yen in the pawn shop. 0o

I'm going to miss playing as Akiyama. The first two chapters were so amazing.
I'm going to try for a 300 game tonight. Trying to get that 10,000,000 Yen trophy.

And as for not playing as Akiyama anymore...well, just keep playing through the game ;)

Y2Kev

george_us said:
Tanimura's final battle is so fucking irritating.
Against
suigiuchi?
I had a WAY harder time getting back to Homeland for some reason. I had no healing items.

george_us

Y2Kev said:
Against
suigiuchi?
I had a WAY harder time getting back to Homeland for some reason. I had no healing items.
No the one against
Munakata.
Fighting a bunch of his goons while he's taking pot shots at you isn't fucking fun. At all.

bender

What time is it?
GeoramA said:
I'm going to try for a 300 game tonight. Trying to get that 10,000,000 Yen trophy.

And as for not playing as Akiyama anymore...well, just keep playing through the game ;)

Didn't know that. I've been procrastinating and not doing any story missions so I could stay with Akiyama for as long as possible. I almost have all of his stats maxed.

I just bowled another 300 and you can get the prize again. Looks like it is time to blow 6 million Yen in the hostess clubs.

george_us

Finally beat it with 30 hours on the clock. Great overall game with an excellent cast of characters and gripping story. Sure the plot twists got a bit silly but it still kept me glued to my controller. I need Yakuza 5 now plz.

dgenx

Ok what do i need to do to get a perfect game? All strikes ? Or what?

Top Bottom