• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

IrishNinja

reposting: can someone explain to me how to pull off Saijam's hits from the tutorial? holding triangle and hitting square just regular hits for me, i must be fucking up the timing or something.

IrishNinja said:
reposting: can someone explain to me how to pull off Saijam's hits from the tutorial? holding triangle and hitting square just regular hits for me, i must be fucking up the timing or something.

I'm pretty sure there is no part where you need to push square while holding triangle. There is, however, a hold triangle after pushing square combo.

kiryogi

Banned
William Percy Nightstick said:
Hahaha, all I will say is sidestory+ability to toss guys off of roofs=hilarity.

I think what was awesome that I still haven't seen since Yakuza 2 was throwing people out of windows. I also loved how they named it "Eviction".

Kagari said:
Bought, thanks.

Why didn't you get it at launch from Best Buy :eek:

CatPee

Picked this up from Amazon for $15 today after using my $25 Amazon credit. Super excited to play it after reading all of the positive reactions here.

Now I just need to hurry up and finish the last 2 chapters of Y3. >_>

Edgeward

Ugh, I really don't know how to get Saejima's lariat move to work. I know square, hold triangle gets the bounce, but I never get the prompt. Should I not be fully charging the triangle to get the heat prompt?

Edgeward said:
Ugh, I really don't know how to get Saejima's lariat move to work. I know square, hold triangle gets the bounce, but I never get the prompt. Should I not be fully charging the triangle to get the heat prompt?
You want to do that move after the second, "smaller" bounce. The first, big bounce wont give you the prompt.

warpaint

I'm loving this game more and more everytime i play it. Ok let's just take now I've got 5 cards off of 5 hostess and the lines in some points of the game are funny

I'm hopelessly addicted to the fighter maker minigame, but I've got the 4th apprentice maxed out and goddamn he is shit. By the time the first three reached this point they could cream anyone in a 4 star exhibition match and mildly struggle in a 5 star, but this guys getting beat down by 2 star opponents.

IrishNinja

ugggh hate fighting with seajima...im at the part where
bumrushing Majima's crew before meeting him, and i can handle everyone but the red-pants punk gets down to about 3/4 of his final health bar and gets cheap as shit, just constant combo spam + immolating an i can barely touch him.
suggestions? should i be going for the grab (doesnt seem to work) or what? i hate having to start all over without having a plan, but i just cant fight with seajima worth a shit, keep wishing i could tag in Akiyama or Kaz here.

GeoramA

IrishNinja said:
ugggh hate fighting with seajima...im at the part where
bumrushing Majima's crew before meeting him, and i can handle everyone but the red-pants punk gets down to about 3/4 of his final health bar and gets cheap as shit, just constant combo spam + immolating an i can barely touch him.
suggestions? should i be going for the grab (doesnt seem to work) or what? i hate having to start all over without having a plan, but i just cant fight with seajima worth a shit, keep wishing i could tag in Akiyama or Kaz here.
In every tough fight with Saejima, I just spammed the helicopter spin attack (hold down triangle for a couple seconds)

So at the end of the fifth fighter my previously high opinion of the fighter maker has plummeted. The AI on the last two apprentices is balls, they just don't even try to press the attack. I've watched as my guy has gone from having the enemy down to less than 20% health and having over 70% of his health, to being beaten because he literally does not attack, even when he dodges a combo and has the opponent primed for a counter.

Here is the lowdown

I loved Shenmue 1. Never played Shenmue 2 :( I hated Heavy Rain, mainly because it was a fuck stupid plot that tried to be cool and the twist made no sense. I barely know what kind of game Yakuza is but I've heard it's good.

I have the oppurtunity to pick up Yakuza 4 and get Yakuza 3 with it it's some deal at a store here in Australia (So Aus-PAL version if that changes anything)

Do I need to play the others? Any "don't play this if you don't like X" warning?

Riposte

Hahaha! Yakuza is nothing like Heavy Rain. It is more action centric than Shenmue was and its world is much less lively.

teacupcopter said:
Here is the lowdown

I loved Shenmue 1. Never played Shenmue 2 :( I hated Heavy Rain, mainly because it was a fuck stupid plot that tried to be cool and the twist made no sense. I barely know what kind of game Yakuza is but I've heard it's good.

I have the oppurtunity to pick up Yakuza 4 and get Yakuza 3 with it it's some deal at a store here in Australia (So Aus-PAL version if that changes anything)

Do I need to play the others? Any "don't play this if you don't like X" warning?

This is one of the more non-sequitur posts I've seen in a while.

Yeah I heard Mass Effect 2 was good. I enjoyed KOTOR but I hated Street Fighter 4.

IrishNinja

^haha....we could do this all day. "i loved phantasy star IV, yet didnt jibe with katamari...is borderlands for me?"

also, thanks GeoramA - your method totally worked. on to chapter 3! ill come back to mop up sidequests with everybody in chapter 5, then.

I don't have time to do sidequests right now so I'm plowing through the story, I'll work on the rest later. Goddamn, there's like 60 seconds of gameplay
in every chapter for Kiryu's story, he has nothing to do
, what a bummer.

Riposte

revolverjgw said:
I don't have time to do sidequests right now so I'm plowing through the story, I'll work on the rest later. Goddamn, there's like 60 seconds of gameplay
in every chapter for Kiryu's story, he has nothing to do
, what a bummer.

The exploration is very backloaded and the actual main storyline content is very short. The first two chapters should have been one chapter and the next hypothetical chapter(which would allow us to run around the city) should have been longer and we should have gotten awhole other chapter to make up for it. Poorly done imo, except for chapter 4.

Audioboxer

cj_iwakura said:
Yakuza 4 get.

For $20. Someone at GameStop doesn't know how to label 'Yakuza 3' correctly. :D

I never resist a steal.

This man/woman was clearly working undercover to spread the Yakuza 4 love.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Is
the Saguichi (sp?) boat chase
the last part of Tanimura's chapter? I think I've done all of the side mission stuff that I want to deal with for him as of now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mooreberg said:
Is
the Saguichi (sp?) boat chase
the last part of Tanimura's chapter? I think I've done all of the side mission stuff that I want to deal with for him as of now.
AFAIK, yep. After that, it ends on a pretty big cliffhanger.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Other than the bullshit
CIA
stuff, I thought 3 had a decent story. They took anxiety over the American occupation (or whatever) of Okinawa and ran with it.

Riposte

Die Squirrel Die said:
Gameplaywise 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

Plotwise 2 > 4 > 1 > 3

Overall I'd give it to 4.

I would say 4 and 3 are neck and neck. 4 has fresher mechanics, but 3 has better encounters. 4 is a joke 80% of the time and never as challenging as 3. The final boss fight might be an exception, but it wasn't really fun/cool...

GeoramA

Trevelyon said:
So, where is Amon at again? Done all 62 sub stories and nothing has popped indicating what to do next.
You go back to New Serena as Kiryu, and Tanimura gives you a note saying where to meet him. Go to the underground parking garage and there's a car waiting to take you there.

Trevelyon

GeoramA said:
You go back to New Serena as Kiryu, and Tanimura gives you a note saying where to meet him. Go to the underground parking garage and there's a car waiting to take you there.

Aha, thanks. Just another one of those weird trigger points you have to stumble onto yourself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cj_iwakura said:
Does 4 fill in the blanks at all, or do I not need to know much besides that Dojima is the hardest of the core?
Which blanks?

Also, how do you put on the alternate outfits you get from the DLC in Premium Adventure Mode?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finally beat it!

The final sequence
was all out of sequence. Kazuma should have gone last. And it was so lame. I had no healing items as Tanimura. So it was so hard. But I did it!

Best Yakuza, and a great game.

The cutscene graphics are like PS4 shi.

IrishNinja

Gravijah said:
instead of playing this, irishninja was playing some game called DEF JAM RAPESTAR

the shame

you'll recall your fan club membership card including one rule: NO SNITCHIN

it just came in today, bought it "used" on amazon for like $18 shipped, but it's unwrapped! good track selection, i stand by this title, will go find the OT soon. bro we should do a video together to biz markie.
wait, rapestar, i think you might have some different expectations here....you into h games brah?

Gravijah

IrishNinja said:
you'll recall your fan club membership card including one rule: NO SNITCHIN

it just came in today, bought it "used" on amazon for like $18 shipped, but it's unwrapped! good track selection, i stand by this title, will go find the OT soon. bro we should do a video together to biz markie.
wait, rapestar, i think you might have some different expectations here....you into h games brah?

i like my h games like i like my gangster rap

IrishNinja

*high-fives*
i cant hate you for hating on my Sega-love, Raichus. i checked US PSN today, and you're right, no Outrun 2 to be found, will check the EU one soon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cj_iwakura said:
I mean the events of 1-3.
Ah, yeah, some of the questions from 1 and 3 are answered I suppose... but it still works as a stand alone story - mostly because of the new characters.

Also, alternate costumes anyone? I feel like I'm missing an obvious menu option to change the costumes.

Edgeward

Zero Jewel get! Got the Tanimura trophy easily =D And even got the turkey bowling trophy during a hostess date. Goddamn, I felt so happy when I got the 3rd strike. I never thought I would get it.

Edgeward

firehawk12 said:
Also, alternate costumes anyone? I feel like I'm missing an obvious menu option to change the costumes.

You have to be in premium mode and change at Naomi's place I believe. That what Bob A is for.

EDIT: Maybe try at New Serena? It worked like that in Y3.

Tanimura's style is sooo good, like being able to just go into heat after a square combo. It just fucking sucks for IF7-R, I lost to the Akiyama and Saejima simulations because of a time over. I haven't found an attack that is as broken as Saejima's helicopter spin yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Edgeward said:
You have to be in premium mode and change at Naomi's place I believe. That what Bob A is for.
Weird. I thought I tried going there already and nothing came up. Maybe I'll check again soon.

I think it's hilarious that even though Haruka isn't in the game much, she still has a "favor" meter to build up.

JEKKI

I've been doing square x 5, triangle, Heat with Tanimura over n over again and I have yet to unlock a followup Heat move!!!

does he not have one for square x 5??? I got followups for all the other lower hit combos...

I also did a sidequest where I fought Maria's entourage of bodyguards named after bball players...

that was kinda cool I guess.

Top Bottom