• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

KanameYuuki

Noooooo, that Yakuza 5 ending, why would they do that to us. Hype levels for 6 went through the roof.

Akiyama is simply amazing. And I hope everything goes well to Shinada.

IrishNinja

0 confirmed, 6 is confirmed in my heart
Kiwami is the holdout!

Noooooo, that Yakuza 5 ending, why would they do that to us. Hype levels for 6 went through the roof.

Akiyama is simply amazing. And I hope everything goes well to Shinada.

having just finished a few days ago: my thoughts exactly, that was a meaner cliffhanger than 3! also parts didnt make sense, but eh

Yay, I finally ended Yakuza 3. Time to move onto the next one. Here's some of my thoughts regarding the game:

(1) The story was..... well, if this was any other series then I'd say it wasn't that great, but for a Yakuza game it was certainly entertaining. The whole
brother that came out of nowhere
angle is one that they've already used in Yakuza 2 and
Mine turning out to be
the main "antagonist" was a bit surprising. Also lol at Andre Richardson.

(2) The only other
CIA agent besides Joji and Andre that we talk to, is a guy named Rick Langley. A CIA agent whose last name is Langley
. Never change SEGA!

(3) I played the EU version so no hostesses for me sadly. Still a bit disappointed but there really isn't much I can do, at least the next games won't have content cut from it.

(4) Enjoyed the introduction of the chase mechanic. The
cross-dresser
substory was so insane too. Just started Yakuza 4, went into a bar in the champion district and it's the same person there lol. I imagine once I get ahold of Kazuma some shit is gonna start.

(5) The graphics are hella improved from the PS2 games. Granted, I emulated them at like 4x native resolution so there was a considerable increase in quality but even at the sub-720p of the PS3, Yakua 3 is still a massive improvement.

(6) The combat is just as fun as ever, and even after putting in so many hours, I still couldn't help but wince when Kazuma put his boot to an enemy's face in the ground heat move. I practically gasped when I unlocked the third upgrade which followed up the second boot to the face with an elbow drop.

(7) The antagonists were so much fun. How could ya not love/hate a guy whose
fetish is to give women massages against their will.
Mine was.... a bit hit and miss for me at times but he's still better than Hamazaki and Lau Ka Long in terms of personality which isn't saying much but oh well.

(8) That IFR thing was nifty. And the Revelations mechanic was really funny at times, though choosing the correct option for the blog title/entry was a bit annoying since 2 or sometimes even 3 options seemed like something he might say.

(9) The Hitman substories were really cool, and that last fight was some goddamn bullshit.
One dude is constantly hitting you with guns and the other is constantly stabbing you. The shinzaki dude was much more aggressive in this 2-1 fight than he is when you fight him solo.
Still powered through though.

(10) The soundtrack was.... not as memorable as I would've liked. The main themes that stuck out to me was the music in the
final stage, when you're working your way to Daigo at Toto Hospital
. And the final boss music. That Colosseum music was also tight. EDIT: How could I forget,
that Joji Fuma Joji Kazama
fight music was fantastic.

EDIT: (11) THOSE SUPER FINISHES ARE SO FUCKING INSANE. ALSO HE SMOKES A GODDAMN CIGARETTE IN THE MIDDLE OF A FIGHT AND CAN TRIGGER A HEAT MOVE FROM IT. HOLY SHIT.

All in all, a very fun game and certainly lived up to the insane ride that was Yakuza 2. Maybe the story and fights aren't as good as Y2 but they were still excellent. Already started 4 and I'm at the 3rd chapter of the 1st part I believe. Spent so little time with the guy and I'm already loving Akiyama, dude is so fucking suave and badass. A pleasant change from the Paragon of Virtue that is Kazuma Kiryu. And there are 2 more new protagonists still in the game. So excited!!

cj_iwakura

Well, a few familiar faces are back:

CsHlTxNVIAENL7z.jpg:large

Don't see Saejima or Tanimura...

Jimrpg

(5) The graphics are hella improved from the PS2 games. Granted, I emulated them at like 4x native resolution so there was a considerable increase in quality but even at the sub-720p of the PS3, Yakua 3 is still a massive improvement.

All in all, a very fun game and certainly lived up to the insane ride that was Yakuza 2. Maybe the story and fights aren't as good as Y2 but they were still excellent. Already started 4 and I'm at the 3rd chapter of the 1st part I believe. Spent so little time with the guy and I'm already loving Akiyama, dude is so fucking suave and badass. A pleasant change from the Paragon of Virtue that is Kazuma Kiryu. And there are 2 more new protagonists still in the game. So excited!!

Yes, this is my biggest pet peeve of Y2 (I played it on the PS2 as well) is that its basically a blurry low res mess now that we have Yakuza at 720p. And the Yakuza games on PS3 would be what I would consider bare minimum resolution.

Y4 is my favourite. Just a great story overall, great use of different characters and keeping each section short and interesting and tying them all up at the end.

cj_iwakura

Y5's ending was really weak. Dramatic, but... abrupt.
The post credits scene should have been pre-credits, and afterward some sort of epilogue.

And don't tell me Saejima's going back to jail AGAIN. He's more than done his time, sheesh.

Just started Part 2, Saejima's story in Yakuza 4. And he just
fell on top of Haruka and stayed there for what felt like a solid 15 seconds
. Good thing that dude didn't try anything cause I would not want a pissed off Kazuma coming at me. Calm and collected Kazuma is bad enough.

IrishNinja

Well, a few familiar faces are back:

Don't see Saejima or Tanimura...

yeah, im bummed but hopefully they return? although per your next comment: man i love jail breaks, but if that's all they got in mind for sajjy for now, i guess he can sit this one out.

i'd be surprised if Tani or Shin made it around this time but i'd be happy with either. still, Akiyama's that dude.

oh and that TGS swag looks amazing but holy shit id love a Tojo pin!

Y5's ending was really weak. Dramatic, but... abrupt.
The post credits scene should have been pre-credits, and afterward some sort of epilogue.

And don't tell me Saejima's going back to jail AGAIN. He's more than done his time, sheesh.

agreed - i was like come on haruka, we both knew you weren't staying an idol but since people literally died for this dream, could you at least close out the concert before dipping?! poor t-set

and i got vibes of 3 with us being left seeing the clearly immortal kazzy in momentary peril, nevermind haruka not being in a hurry to get him help

still, Shinada's raw-dogging deal was such a highlight though, hahaha

Tizoc

Gentlemen we are beset with a small dilema
Kingdom hearts 2.8 releases in january
We need to double our efforts in these coming momths by hyping up yakuza 0 like no tomorrow in general gaming discussion

Past

We need to double our efforts in these coming momths by hyping up yakuza 0 like no tomorrow in general gaming discussion

Resident Evil 7 comes out the same day as Yakuza 0. D:

Is he out of jail finally?

Yeah, but now
Majima was/is in prison
. No word exactly at what period of time he's in prison, could be at the same time as Kiryu (who is released just as the story of Yakuza 6 starts). Then again Akiyama's status is also up in the air going by promo shots so there are many question marks as to what the main cast is up to.

IrishNinja

KH is butt, this should be easy! Now RE7 on the same day, that's a bit rough
Ill keep hyping it on GAF & elsewhere, we need to grow Yakuza-GAF too though!

KH is butt for me too and I'm way too much of a pussy to play this more horror-oriented RE7 so it's Yakuza 0 day-1.

Famitsu's out. This week's features Kiryu w/ baby, a multiplayer Clan Creator strategy minigame featuring NJPW wrestlers (?!), Kiryu taking selfies with his phone, and Kiryu gettin fuckin ripped at the gym

this is gonna be a hell of a game

edit: the baby is haruka's???????

Yep its all here

http://yakuzafan.com/new-yakuza-6-story-details-harukas-son-build-clan-selfies/

I've been talking about it all day with some other people and I still can't get over it.

Yeah, I didn't see any of that coming. I'm betting the
baby has some type of twist akin to Haruka holding the key to 10 Billion Yen like in the original Yakuza. Apart from bringing the series full circle, it'd make sense why Haruka was attacked and why people are trying to kidnap the baby. Or I'm miles off and completely wrong. As long as the twist isn't Haruka dying and Kiryu raising the child as his own son I'll be happy.

As for the mini game stuff - sounds good. The social media stuff sounds like ways of finding out new side missions so that's a good idea, and I'm glad Kiryu finally gets a new phone!

For the team vs team playspot - is it multiplayer only? Or is it mainly a single player mode that has the option to challenge other people online? I'm a bit confused as it mentioned both possibilities. I just hope any 100% progress in the game isn't tied to online wins, I don't really want that in a Yakuza game (I hate online trophies as a whole).

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I didn't see any of that coming. I'm betting the
baby has some type of twist akin to Haruka holding the key to 10 Billion Yen like in the original Yakuza. Apart from bringing the series full circle, it'd make sense why Haruka was attacked and why people are trying to kidnap the baby. Or I'm miles off and completely wrong. As long as the twist isn't Haruka dying and Kiryu raising the child as his own son I'll be happy.

As for the mini game stuff - sounds good. The social media stuff sounds like ways of finding out new side missions so that's a good idea, and I'm glad Kiryu finally gets a new phone!

For the team vs team playspot - is it multiplayer only? Or is it mainly a single player mode that has the option to challenge other people online? I'm a bit confused as it mentioned both possibilities. I just hope any 100% progress in the game isn't tied to online wins, I don't really want that in a Yakuza game (I hate online trophies as a whole).

(Yakuza 5 spoilers)
They never kill off major players. Daigo survived getting shot, somehow. Haruka's fine, it's a drama effect.

Just hope she shows up to save Kiryu's ass sporting a phoenix tattoo.

Sgblues

Yeah when I saw the scans untranslated earlier I was like "What?..Am I reading this right?" so I waited for a translated version and I'm still shocked.

Yeah the clan maker thing I've seen a few people actually ask for this, along with a create a character option since people hated all the characters in the series and wanted to play their own(obviously Western people)

Riposte

I'm going with the baby thing being a swerve. Having the baby "in secret" usually means you didn't actually have the baby. But if it's not, the father better not be anything like hers; you had a decade with top-tier dad material to solve any lingering daddy issues.

Looking good so far. Any chance we get a gameplay trailer as well sometime this week? I can already tell this might be a tearjerker of an ending... Kiryu looking badass as per usual though.

(Yakuza 5 spoilers)
They never kill off major players. Daigo survived getting shot, somehow. Haruka's fine, it's a drama effect.

Just hope she shows up to save Kiryu's ass sporting a phoenix tattoo.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it'll turn out ok, but at the same time I still think that they will off at least one character since its the end of Kiryu's story arc
my moneys still on Date getting killed off

Gacha-pin

I'm glad they finally start following today's standard like "immersion / seamless" game play. But hey, RGG Studio, you don't have to bring the thing like making players press/hold a button for ruuning...

So at the end of the combat trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7yapLnAblo

You see Kiryu and a homeless dude double team a goon (at 1:20). Its a short clip and hard to identify, but is that
Akiyama? Guess he really is homeless in the present day again

Awesome looking trailer though, lots of cool looking moments, I especially like the multi tier combat now. The bit with the train was pretty funny!

Tizoc

We must get Operation PDP underway Corpral IrishNinja.

In the meantime WHERE CAN I GET RYU GA GOTOKU 6 CHEAPEST FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I MUST HAVE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

IrishNinja

fuck it, told myself i don't wanna be spoiled but we're well over a year out from seeing 6 so i gotta go watch all the TGS stuff

fuck so hyped i'm going back into 3 to spend more time with it now, haha

We must get Operation PDP underway Corpral IrishNinja.

In the meantime WHERE CAN I GET RYU GA GOTOKU 6 CHEAPEST FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I MUST HAVE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

i am down with this plan for real, Tizocs! i even tweeted @ rubyeclipse to see if he had ideas for awareness stuff but i think he's on sonic projects now

also i tend to wait on ebay, even greatest hits releases drive down the OG prices but it's your call m'man!

IrishNinja

^goddamn, yeah....was watching the Kamurocho one earlier, it's unbelievably seamless. so excited for Hiroshima (particularly interesting since ive been watching the Yakuza Papers, haha) but that video really made it look incredible.

The Yakuza 6 news this week has all been great. All this new story, combat, and playspot info has me hungry for the full game. I wonder how longer the game has been in development for? As they've managed to do an amazing job by the looks of things in filling the game with tons of new content, an expanded combat system, not to mention how beautiful and seamless everything looks now. The wait until December is going to be harsh indeed!

Aki-at

Yakuza 6 was incredible. My game of the show at TGS! Haven't seen if they showed off everything they showed on Thursday to those who played it but it was great!

IrishNinja

got so hype, i just picked up that 10th anniversary encyclopedia book on ebay! found a good price, so here's to cool pictures with moonspeak, haha

also anyone know how to get the demo for 6 off JP PSN?

Sgblues

The Yakuza 6 news this week has all been great. All this new story, combat, and playspot info has me hungry for the full game. I wonder how longer the game has been in development for? As they've managed to do an amazing job by the looks of things in filling the game with tons of new content, an expanded combat system, not to mention how beautiful and seamless everything looks now. The wait until December is going to be harsh indeed!

Yeah they've had this going along with the regular productions(Ishin, Zero, and Kiwami) all the while working on RGG6 as well which is crazy but it makes sense and why Kiwami may have been a little light on content since they were working on this, same situation like with Dead Souls and Binary Domain. I already have my Pro money secured, haven't pre-ordered yet but I will soon, don't have a 4k tv and I use a monitor to play games on so its gonna be interesting if I can get the most out of the visuals.

got so hype, i just picked up that 10th anniversary encyclopedia book on ebay! found a good price, so here's to cool pictures with moonspeak, haha

also anyone know how to get the demo for 6 off JP PSN?

It was from a code you got when you bought Kiwami.

IrishNinja

so, following Tizoc's notion of getting the word out, Son of Sparda had this to say in the latest Y6 thread:

Yeah. I think we should probably start doing that a tad bit earlier though, since Jan-Feb is so packed that people might start doing pre-orders early to get all the titles that they want.

Also, we could/should scout some of the other communities that might enjoy Yakuza series as well, so when the thread is up we could post a link in those communities to get their attentions too. Though, that's probably something we should talk about more later in the community thread.

i think he's right on all counts: we should do a yakuza for beginners thread to push Yakuza 0, and do so before the holidays to get preorders in (especially since january's more packed than usual too).

likewise, i'm a member of a few forums - sega, sega-16, segabits, shenmue dojo, racketboy, SHMUPs, HG101, etc - where i'd be happy to help spread such an effort.

i really do think this is the perfect time, since a) 0 is the best jump-on for the series and b) getting a physical release feels like they're taking another chance on the western community. if there's anything we can do to grow, i think now's the time! again, i reached out to RubyEclipse on twitter but dude's busy & more on Sonic projects these days, so if there's any other resources you guys can think of, lemme know...i'm thinking of hitting up YakuzaFan, TojoHD & KHHsubs just to help get the word out, but we really should put together something solid to point at to encourage newcomers & break down exactly what the series is, and isn't.

PS ordered this book - so hyped!

Tizoc

fuck it, told myself i don't wanna be spoiled but we're well over a year out from seeing 6 so i gotta go watch all the TGS stuff

fuck so hyped i'm going back into 3 to spend more time with it now, haha

i am down with this plan for real, Tizocs! i even tweeted @ rubyeclipse to see if he had ideas for awareness stuff but i think he's on sonic projects now

also i tend to wait on ebay, even greatest hits releases drive down the OG prices but it's your call m'man!

I'm sorry man but all those gameplay stuff+VF5 won me over @o@ I MUST HAVE IT WEEK 1!

Well, obviously I agree with everything Irish just said. And if it's okay with you guys I'll start by making some suggestions.

First things first, we need someone who is good at making gifs and OT like pictures/materials for the thread. The OP needs to be beautiful and easy to read for eyes, so more people give it a chance and actually read it. So, if you guys know any Yakuza fans that have those abilities here, you should see if they are up for this.

After that comes the most important thing which is the actual content of the thread. Q&A is a most have and obviously "What is Yakuza?" should be the first thing that people read in the OP. This will be our chance to rectify any bad/inaccurate perception that has been set into the mind of the public like "it's just a poor's man Shenmue" or "a third rate Japanese GTA clone".

In order to do that, we need an accurate, yet brief and easy to read answer for what Yakuza actually is. I personally think this description will be very important since it will be the thing to peak people's interests enough to make them read through the rest of the thread.

With our description of Yakuza series we want to capture the interests of three groups of people.

A) Action/Brawler fans
B) RPG fans and those who like RPG elements in games
C) People who like games with good stories and/or tons of contents

So with all of that in mind, any ideas?

IrishNinja

my man cj_iwakura did the tight work for the yak 5 OT, so he's my go-to, personally

"What is Yakuza?" should be the first thing that people read in the OP. This will be our chance to rectify any bad/inaccurate perception that has been set into the mind of the public like "it's just a poor's man Shenmue" or "a third rate Japanese GTA clone".

this is 100% what i meant by "what it's not" and pivotal, yeah - the poor man's shenmue is what kept me off the series for years too, so i totally get it. i definitely wanna put in work dispelling that, and if it fell on me, id be down to have it proof-read/looked over here as well for brevity/etc

So with all of that in mind, any ideas?

i think you're in the right ballpark, we're after those people - i assume JPRG fans know about the series but i could very well be wrong, i think the beat-em-up type crowd might assume this is some niche weeabo thing (haha, kinda fair) but that it wouldn't appeal to then, and i'd love to do something over at Sega-16 and places like that to help get that kinda crowd on board.

but yeah, you're asking the right question for said thread: both what we're trying to do, and who we're after. given the retro crowds i run in, i'd personally add a d) to your list of classic sega fans: not only is this basically a beat-em-up with RPG sensibilities, one of the things it very much carries over from the suzuki/AM2 pedigree is the idea of gritty realism mixed with arcade sensibilities: which is to say, it's a sim, but it's a fun one with a veneer of realism but sacrifices that for simplicity/enjoyability. moreover, while this leads to enjoyable casual play, there's a level of skill (and thereby, replayability) called for to master any number of minigames/etc, which is really cool and very clearly right below the surface in a world of suzuki classics waiting to be played at local in-game arcades.

see that was kinda drunk and verbose but you get what im going for here

Top Bottom