• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

deadfolk

Yeah. I didn't mention Yakuza 6 cause it's not out yet. Will this be better then?

More useful, but perhaps overly wordy?

How about something like:

A: Well if we take spin-off titles into account then the answer will be, 2 PSP titles and 10 home console games (6 main titles, 1 remake and 3 spin-offs). And soon to be 7 main titles with the release of Yakuza 6 exclusively for PS4.

Tizoc

Here's something tot hink about, but only because I myself am too lazy to think up a better term for it:
The Yakuza series' gameplay elements (main story, combat in the streets and minigames) have a form of Symbiosis: In the case of Yakuza 0, you earn money whenever your fighting enemies; that money, even at late game goes into playing the minigames. Completing certain minigames can improve a few of your stats (like in Yakuza 5 for example). If ever you run out of cash for the minigames, there will always be some dumb ass punks waiting for you to son them and pocket their Yen.

More useful, but perhaps overly wordy?

How about something like:
Yeah, that's better. I'll use that. Thanks.

And not to try to rope you in or anything but any other kind of help would be welcomed as well :)

Here's something tot hink about, but only because I myself am too lazy to think up a better term for it:
The Yakuza series' gameplay elements (main story, combat in the streets and minigames) have a form of Symbiosis: In the case of Yakuza 0, you earn money whenever your fighting enemies; that money, even at late game goes into playing the minigames. Completing certain minigames can improve a few of your stats (like in Yakuza 5 for example). If ever you run out of cash for the minigames, there will always be some dumb ass punks waiting for you to son them and pocket their Yen.
I almost didn't recognize you with your new avatar Tizoc :)

Yeah, as I said we'll have to do a "What makes Yakuza series special" question as well and put these stuff in it. I also would like to do a section for Yakuza 0 itself and talk a little bit about what sets this particular title apart from rest of the series and we'll definitely talk about gaining money through beating punks, style systems, new arcade games and stuff like that in that part.

Though, the main problem right now is the lack of people interested in helping with the thread. As I've said before, I'm not confident in my English so I would much rather someone else do these long descriptions, but if no one else comes forward then I have to do them bit by bit myself.

This has probly been asked but has any non-jp speakers played the spinoffs with a guide? It doesn't seem fun but I really want mo Yakuza in my life.

Sgblues

Well you'll meet the extortionists, which are huge hulking guys that carry around a lot of cash which you can farm, you can even let them beat you and take your money but you receive a bonus the next time see them, often times you can find them passed out drunk(probably celebrating a bit too much) and you can siphon money from them carefully without waking them and then wake them up and get even more money when you beat them.

This has probly been asked but has any non-jp speakers played the spinoffs with a guide? It doesn't seem fun but I really want mo Yakuza in my life.

Yeah I have for Kenzan, 3, 4(even after playing the localized versions since 3 was missing substories), Kurohyo 1 and 2, Ishin, 5, Zero and Kiwami and I never felt like it took away any of my enjoyment since most stuff I understood right away, other things were trial and error and then there were things that confused me so much(eg: The Answer X Answer game).

Yeah, I play each game when they are released in Japan (as I hate waiting months/years for official translations) and just use guides/online resources to fill in the blanks). Not as satisfying story wise using a guide, but I get the gist of it and get to understand the game well enough, plus the gameplay is dead easy to get down, and I sink 100's of hours into the series this way. Kenzan! and Ishin have great guides created for them so they are very much playable if you go the guide route (and I strongly suggest you play Kenzan!, its the best Yakuza game that the west never got, it was my top Yakuza game at the time, its just really, really good).

I couldn't imagine waiting for Yakuza 6 to get an English release either, after watching those above vids, I want to play it now! I wonder how long it'll take me to 100% the game... between the improved mini games and many brand new mini games, not to mention however many side stories they pour into the game, I can see it being one of the longer Yakuza titles. Maybe not 140 hours like 5 was, but close.

Vic_Viper

Quoting from Yakuza 4 OT since like he said, I should probably just use this thread.

QUOTE=lucebuce12;217461278]In regards to upgrades, I'd recommend picking up ones tahat enhance your offensive capabilities then going for defense. Particularly for Akiyama as he's a very mobile character. Though there are 4 different playable protagonists and they each have their unique style so it's ultimately up to you how you want to go about it. There's a lot of freedom with the upgrade paths as compared to previous Yakuza games which had a very set in stone upgrade path.

Yeah, that weapons dealer was in Yakuza 3 but his truck is being lifted onto the roof. Did you know you can access rooftops!! I believe there's a substory or main mission that has you fight somebody right next to it and that unlocks the weapons dealer.

Akiyama's chapter is mainly an introduction to the series so don't be worried if you don't get to access everything or find everything with him because you'll eventually be able to switch between characters at will.

If you still find yourself needing a guide, there's one on IGN and there are also good guides on GameFAQs.com

EDIT: Btw, feel free to pop in to the Yakuza community thread with any questions you might have since the OTs have been mainly inactive for these games because they've been out for so long.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips for 4. I was getting worried I was missing too many side missions and wouldn't be able to go back to them once I switched characters.

Are there any good videos that show off some advanced combat? So far it seems pretty basic light combos to heavy finishers but I've seen mention of attacks that are launchers. Plus I'm having a hard time with enemies with guns, especially the bald camo guy that trains you with a machine gun lol.

Really like the story so far. I'm amazed these games get put out pretty regularly with their huge storylines. Been really fun so far. I'm up to about 5 hours in to 4, checking up on Lily at Elise for the first time.

Quoting from Yakuza 4 OT since like he said, I should probably just use this thread.

Thanks for the tips for 4. I was getting worried I was missing too many side missions and wouldn't be able to go back to them once I switched characters.

Are there any good videos that show off some advanced combat? So far it seems pretty basic light combos to heavy finishers but I've seen mention of attacks that are launchers. Plus I'm having a hard time with enemies with guns, especially the bald camo guy that trains you with a machine gun lol.

Really like the story so far. I'm amazed these games get put out pretty regularly with their huge storylines. Been really fun so far. I'm up to about 5 hours in to 4, checking up on Lily at Elise for the first time..
Yeah, usually encounters with gun-wielding enemies aren't that bad, that particular mission is hellish. Once you spend more time with the game and particularly when you get the double quickdash, dealing with enemies that have guns becomes easier as you can usually quickdash behind them easily.

Launchers are attacks that either send an enemy flying in any direction, backwards or upwards. You might have noticed that when you hit an enemy with an attack that knocks them back and they hit a wall, they hit the wall, get on their knees and fall down. When they're in that state, you can still hit them with regular attacks though there's a certain limit after which you can't hit them anymore.

Akiyama and Tanimura( the 3rd guy you control) have slightly faster normal attacks which is why they can really get some insane attacks going with this system. Akiyama is the fastest hitting character in the game and he can definitely get some insane hits in if other enemies aren't getting in the way.

Kazuma and Saejima are slower characters, Saejima in particular. It's still possible to do that stuff but they're mainly about hitting hard.

In general though, just play it at your own pace and let the game's system sink in gradually. You'll start to get the knack of it on your own, there's really nothing that complicated about it.

Sgblues

-Sigh-

1474395931948.jpg

Fucking Daigo I swear to god you have done nothing right..................Jesus Christ.....

-Sigh-

1474395931948.jpg

Fucking Daigo I swear to god you have done nothing right..................Jesus Christ.....

Gets
shot
like a bitch in Y3.

Gets
played and manipulated
like a bitch in Y4

Currently playing through Y5 but I imagine
he'll just have taken a massive L
like a bitch by the end.

Can't believe this is the kid Kiryu fought so hard for in Y2.

TreIII

-Sigh-

1474395931948.jpg

...There's gotta be times where I wonder if Kiryu wishes he and the board could have just left Yayoi in charge, or something. Ten years later, was it really worth putting this much time and energy into this guy?

Well that Daigo news is unsurprising. Honestly I'd have been far more surprised if it'd been revealed that he actually did a competent job for once... I'd bet Haruto would do a better job running the Tojo Clan than he would. Makes me wonder why Majima puts up with him...

cj_iwakura

-Sigh-

1474395931948.jpg

Oh come on.

Gets
shot
like a bitch in Y3.

Gets
played and manipulated
like a bitch in Y4

like a bitch by the end.

You're not wrong.

That story trailer....

Spoilers for those who want to stay completely in the dark:
It's pretty nuts all around. Though if for whatever reason that kid isn't Haruka's then they are gonna have some 'splaining to do. Doctors can tell if someone has had a kid or not, and there would be medical records also, even if the father wasn't known.

IrishNinja

Whoa guys, slow down with the suggestions a little bit :p

Seriously though, no one wants to help with Beginner Guide thread? That's a little disappointing. Yakuza needs all the love and help that it can get right now.

Anyway, I came up with a bunch of stuff for Q&A. Would love to get your opinions on it:

Let me know if there are any misspells or badly worded sentences in there.

this covers a lot of the basics, i like it! leaves behind the big "so whats this series all about/play like" section, which i could work on.

really wish there were more demos/older games in the series on PSN.

imported Kenzan! gonna wait for price to drop some more for 0, kiwami and isshin

waiting on Ishin myself, got 5 on the cheap. 0 is coming and im still holding out for Kiwami!

-Sigh-

1474395931948.jpg

Less useful than Haruka, LOL.

Gets
shot
like a bitch in Y3.

Gets
played and manipulated
like a bitch in Y4

like a bitch by the end.

You forgot what happened to him in Dead Souls,
though I image Majima did that for laughs and a bit of revenge.

To be fair, like Karou (and probably most characters) after 2, SEGA/RGG studios had no real idea what to do with him. He had a good arc in 2, they've just been stumbling with him afterwards. Just look at Date
(quitting then coming back to the police.)
, Kage, Sudo, Kazuki, and Yuuya. I'd say something about Saejima, but you're currently playing 5 so I'll shut up.

this covers a lot of the basics, i like it! leaves behind the big "so whats this series all about/play like" section, which i could work on.

really wish there were more demos/older games in the series on PSN.

Thanks. I'll leave that part to you then :)

Yeah. At least they could have put the Yakuza 1-2 HD collection on PSN as PS2 to PS4 classics or something. I really wanna play 2 but finding a copy of that is not easy and even if I could find one, I don't have my PS2 anymore.

Fingers crossed for a Kiwami 2 with Y6's engine.

Vic_Viper

Think im about to finish the Akiyama part and move on to the next character. I still have a few threads left unfinished and I also havent finished doing the trainning with the bald guy on the roof. I can still finish the training stuff when I get to select Akiyama later on in the game right? Is there anything I should absolutely do before leaving his section?

Think im about to finish the Akiyama part and move on to the next character. I still have a few threads left unfinished and I also havent finished doing the trainning with the bald guy on the roof. I can still finish the training stuff when I get to select Akiyama later on in the game right? Is there anything I should absolutely do before leaving his section?
I don't think you can even do all of his substories in the first chapter. I can't think of anything that's an absolute must-do. You should be fine just moving forward with the story and yes, you can do any and all sidequests and activities that you didn't do before when you can switch protagonists.

Yes, you can do it later, or do it all in one sitting, your choice really.

Aki-at

Let's be honest, it's not just Daigo but the WHOLE of the Tojo Clan is a mess, I include Majima in that too. Building up Kamurocho Hills, then demolishing it, then building it up again... It's amazing the clan only had three chairmen in the space of like 40 years before the quick succession between Kiryu > Terada > Daigo since it's so badly run on all fronts.

IrishNinja

while im very much okay with accepting the complete ineptitude of the Tojo Clan - christ, kazzy's been such a crutch for them forever now - i don't think Daigo was as useless in 5; he actually made some boss moves and knew the score

..he just either sucks at delegating others to go undercover (why is the 8th chairman doing this?!) or wisely doesn't trust fucking anyone in his organization to get it done without kaz/majjy about

Yeah, Daigo actually got stuff done in 5.

The problem is that all the other competent/trustworthy people in the clan keep dying or going to prison.

So at the start of 5, Saejima is off in prison leaving Majima as pretty much the only top guy aside from Daigo who had any real trustworthiness. This is one of the issues that comes up from the clan having a major crisis practically every year. All of the top guys keep dying.

Vic_Viper

Finally finished Akiyama's section in 4 last night and started Seijima. That flashback in the opening was intense! Can't believe how well done some of the scenes are.

I thought the ending of Akiyama's with Lily though came out of nowhere. Spoilers follow (tagged jic).
Her being the killer they've been talking about through out his section was a complete shock, I mean where was the lead up to him finding out other than going to the Tranny Bar? Was there a side story I missed or something? I mean it wasn't hinted at at all. Was a neat twist and all but they could have done alil more showing how he figured it out

Think I'm going to skip a lot of the side stuff from now on though so I can get to 5. 5 just seems to have a lot more fun stuff to do and I don't want to burn out on it before I get to the good stuff in 5. The Taxi cab stuff alone looks like a lot of fun.

Plus I have Ishin otw and then pre ordered 0! Wish I had given this series more attention. although now I don't have to wait forever for the next game lol.

IrishNinja

Yeah, Daigo actually got stuff done in 5.

The problem is that all the other competent/trustworthy people in the clan keep dying or going to prison.

So at the start of 5, Saejima is off in prison leaving Majima as pretty much the only top guy aside from Daigo who had any real trustworthiness. This is one of the issues that comes up from the clan having a major crisis practically every year. All of the top guys keep dying.

see i was gonna say that seems like a Tojo thing, but then every game the Omi or someone else step up, they lose key peeple too, haha...guess it's just the nature of the job, Kazzy shows up every other year for spring cleaning

So I'm currently playing through Y5 and just got done with part 1 (
Kazuma'
s part) and ......

Did
the fucking Tojo Clan just bring 2 rocket launchers in the middle of a clan war?

Did
Kazuma Kiryu literally side step 2 fucking rockets that blew up like 5 cars behind him and probably killed a quarter of the guys there?

Did Kazuma Kiryu just beat up what feels like over 40 guys on his own?

Did
he really recover from a bullet to the leg in 2 days?

What in the actual fuck. I love this.

cj_iwakura

So I'm currently playing through Y5 and just got done with part 1 (
Kazuma'
s part) and ......

Did
the fucking Tojo Clan just bring 2 rocket launchers in the middle of a clan war?

Did
Kazuma Kiryu literally side step 2 fucking rockets that blew up like 5 cars behind him and probably killed a quarter of the guys there?

Did Kazuma Kiryu just beat up what feels like over 40 guys on his own?

Did
he really recover from a bullet to the leg in 2 days?

What in the actual fuck. I love this.

For Kiryu, that's a Sunday workout.

That entire docks fight is one of my highlights of Yakuza 5, it just feels so damn badass. The missile bit still cracks me up, Kiryu doesn't even flinch, just casually moves to one side!

This series has definitely done some insane stuff before but that was just a whole new level.

And don't get me wrong, that was incredibly badass and I love it.

EDIT: Separate thing but since a lot of you have played it, is it worth importing Ishin? Vic_Viper's post got me researching it and there is indeed a very comprehensive guide out there and I don't imagine getting the gist of what to do will be too difficult but I'd still love some opinions from the people here.

This series has definitely done some insane stuff before but that was just a whole new level.

EDIT: Separate thing but since a lot of you have played it, is it worth importing Ishin? Vic_Viper's post got me researching it and there is indeed a very comprehensive guide out there and I don't imagine getting the gist of what to do will be too difficult but I'd still love some opinions from the people here.

Ishin is well worth importing, especially on the PS4 where it runs at a wonderful 1080p/60FPS which makes a heck of a difference, especially in combat. I didn't like the game as much as Kenzan! personally but its still a bloody good game. My only real issue with Ishin is down to the combat - you learn new moves early on then the game locks them away until you level up enough to purchase them with EXP, problem is, unless you focus on doing EVERYTHING in the game as you go you'll no doubt not have nearly enough to level up all 4 styles. So keep that in mind - do as much side stuff as you can so that you won't miss out on the combat, as once leveled up the game gets even better, as you feel like a real samurai badass dispatching foes in many stylish ways.
The story still rocks, and the supporting cast are put to great use here, and as always there is loads of side stories and mini games to occupy your time. The completion list sucks though if your going for 100% completion - it forces you to do certain tasks an insane number of times, thankfully the completion list is refined greatly in 0 and Kiwami so its nowhere near as grindy as Ishin was.

So - do you want a samurai game with Yakuza gameplay/fighting? With a cool story that has almost everyone from the last few games guest star? If so, this game is definitely worth your time.

Ishin is well worth importing, especially on the PS4 where it runs at a wonderful 1080p/60FPS which makes a heck of a difference, especially in combat. I didn't like the game as much as Kenzan! personally but its still a bloody good game. My only real issue with Ishin is down to the combat - you learn new moves early on then the game locks them away until you level up enough to purchase them with EXP, problem is, unless you focus on doing EVERYTHING in the game as you go you'll no doubt not have nearly enough to level up all 4 styles. So keep that in mind - do as much side stuff as you can so that you won't miss out on the combat, as once leveled up the game gets even better, as you feel like a real samurai badass dispatching foes in many stylish ways.
The story still rocks, and the supporting cast are put to great use here, and as always there is loads of side stories and mini games to occupy your time. The completion list sucks though if your going for 100% completion - it forces you to do certain tasks an insane number of times, thankfully the completion list is refined greatly in 0 and Kiwami so its nowhere near as grindy as Ishin was.

So - do you want a samurai game with Yakuza gameplay/fighting? With a cool story that has almost everyone from the last few games guest star? If so, this game is definitely worth your time.
Thanks for the writeup. I almost always just wander off the story mode and keep doing as many side activities as I can so this works well for me. And I don't mind the 100% completion thing so that's good.

All right, what the hell. I'll try to import it by November so I can put some good time into the game before 0 comes out.

Aki-at

I just came back from Japan with both Ishin and Kiwami. Started playing Ishin yesterday and loving it so far, the combat system is really fun and I'm finding the game slightly tougher than the other Yakuza titles, so far I'd recommend it.

Gacha-pin

TGS gameplay videos (this is the same TGS demo but Yokoyama is playing it and not some kyabakura gal who plays a video game for the first time).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDqjhUqeUY8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ojncpRo2Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DyfZDEKO0g

The way Kiryu is typing...Haruka is dying on the bed while Kiryu is enjyoing ero chat typin g like "たまらねぇ" & "キュン死しそう......"

Interesting stuff is Yokoyama says Sawamura Haruto the baby Haruka gave birth to.

omgkitty

Playing through Yakuza 1 for the first time right now, and I've been trying to follow a guide, though there seems to only be the one on Gamefaqs, and it's not the easiest thing in the world to follow. Is it worth me trying to find all the sidequests? Have a hell of a time keeping up with where everything is, and I kinda just want to power through to get to the PS3 games. I just saved the girl from Mark Hamill in a batting cage. I can definitely see how these games could become much better as they go on and become fleshed out, but so far the first one is kinda repetitive, especially the fighting.

Playing through Yakuza 1 for the first time right now, and I've been trying to follow a guide, though there seems to only be the one on Gamefaqs, and it's not the easiest thing in the world to follow. Is it worth me trying to find all the sidequests? Have a hell of a time keeping up with where everything is, and I kinda just want to power through to get to the PS3 games. I just saved the girl from Mark Hamill in a batting cage. I can definitely see how these games could become much better as they go on and become fleshed out, but so far the first one is kinda repetitive, especially the fighting.
Aww shit, I'd forgotten Mark Hamill voiced Goro Majima in the first game. What a world lol.

Also, you don't HAVE to do all the sidequests. Just make sure to do whichever take your fancy. If you're just playing this to power through to the PS3 games then by all means. The first one can get a little rough in places and time has not been kind to certain elements, particularly after witnessing so much improvement in the formula from the following games.

But take your time with Yakuza 2 because a lot of Yakuza fans consider it to be the BEST Yakuza game and IMO, it truly is.

omgkitty

Aww shit, I'd forgotten Mark Hamill voiced Goro Majima in the first game. What a world lol.

Also, you don't HAVE to do all the sidequests. Just make sure to do whichever take your fancy. If you're just playing this to power through to the PS3 games then by all means. The first one can get a little rough in places and time has not been kind to certain elements, particularly after witnessing so much improvement in the formula from the following games.

But take your time with Yakuza 2 because a lot of Yakuza fans consider it to be the BEST Yakuza game and IMO, it truly is.

That's what I've heard. It's currently the only one I don't have access to yet, mainly because I wanted to see if I still wanted to play it after beating 1 since it's going to cost me close to $100 :\

Top Bottom