• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YO. HAWKGUY. BRO.

Francavilla's covers lovingly invoke all those pulp magazines from the 40's & 50's for me. Even the cover he did for Captain America & Bucky a while back just has that pulp hero feel to it, it's awesome.

CAPABUCKY625_cvr.jpg

So yes, it's different from Aja's, but it works for me.

Don't get me wrong, the covers are great. I just think his style causes a disconnect in the consistent style of Aja. But I'm not angry or anything, heh.

Also, Matt Fraction posing with a I <3 Hawkeye shirt!

1360003390.jpg

I hear you though on Francavilla's covers though I do like the break from Aja's every so often.

I acutually wore my I <3 Hawkeye on Wednesday when I picked up my books, though in true form, there was a stain on there that hadn't washed out (yes, it was a tomato sauce stain). Ended up wearing a light button-up over it.

Got new shirts coming tomorrow so it's all cool.

Quick

Banned
I hear you though on Francavilla's covers though I do like the break from Aja's every so often.

I acutually wore my I <3 Hawkeye on Wednesday when I picked up my books, though in true form, there was a stain on there that hadn't washed out (yes, it was a tomato sauce stain). Ended up wearing a light button-up over it.

Got new shirts coming tomorrow so it's all cool.

Aww shirt no.

HNNG. Tempting. I'm on the website looking right now.

How's the quality and fit of the shirts?

The quality is nicer than most "geek" shirts, so the shirts are more fitted and not as long. Not exactly American Apparel, but it has that similar feel to it so think like a super premium Hanes t-shirt or so.

Quick

Banned
The quality is nicer than most "geek" shirts, so the shirts are more fitted and not as long. Not exactly American Apparel, but it has that similar feel to it so think like a super premium Hanes t-shirt or so.

Nice.

Might get myself the black one with the arrow pointing down, and that same SHIELD shirt.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Neat. What, it'll be the first 12?

Most likely, or at least the whole "shit hawkeye does when he's not an avenger" arc along with the annual for this year.

I wanted each volume for hardcover but this will do for the end of the year, I guess.

Acid08

Banned
Okay, finally read #9, incredible issue. Aja was killing it with the little logos throughout the issue. Fucking love that guy please never leave. Did anyone else notice the one panel is Kate's part where she pulls up to Clints and
the crying eye logo
was spray painted onto the metal shutter? Awesome easter egg. And of course last page FUCKFUCKFUCK.

Kate was killing it this issue too:

iImOovOU4BW7y.jpg

iZzidPOeh2KIB.jpg

Monocle

This book is amazing. Half of the reason it's such a quality piece of work is Matt Fraction's pitch perfect writing, and the other half is the beautiful economy of David Aja's art. His Clint is so wonderfully expressive. Aja really brings the writing to life.

The first time I got to a Javier Pulido issue I was staggered by the drop in quality. I was seriously put off. He made Clint into a playdough creature. No sense of solidity in the lines, none of the subtle endearing details that hint at the characters' thoughts or act as a counterpoint to the dialogue. Pulido should go away and stay gone. I wish Aja would stick with Hawkeye for its entire run. No guest artists are needed or wanted as far as I'm concerned, because Fraction + Aja are one of the best creative teams in comics, and the ideal match for this unorthodox series.

Acid08

Banned
This book is amazing. Half of the reason it's such a quality piece of work is Matt Fraction's pitch perfect writing, and the other half is the beautiful economy of David Aja's art. His Clint is so wonderfully expressive. Aja really brings the writing to life.

The first time I got to a Javier Pulido issue I was staggered by the drop in quality. I was seriously put off. He made Clint into a playdough creature. No sense of solidity in the lines, none of the subtle endearing details that hint at the characters' thoughts or act as a counterpoint to the dialogue. Pulido should go away and stay gone. I wish Aja would stick with Hawkeye for its entire run. No guest artists are needed or wanted as far as I'm concerned, because Fraction + Aja are one of the best creative teams in comics, and the ideal match for this unorthodox series.
It would be great if there were no guest artists but Aja can't keep up with every issue of a monthly comic. Its a lot of work.

Acid08

Banned
Eisner's killin it on the Best Writer category.

Fraction, Brubaker, Hickman, AND Graham? All personal favoritesfrom this past year.

Yeah, I was reading the nominees yesterday, pretty awesome honor.

So glad that so many people are digging this book, it's great.

Viewt

As much as I love Hawkeye, I have a feeling Saga's gonna sweep the Eisner Awards. Having BKV back in comics is too huge.

As much as I love Hawkeye, I have a feeling Saga's gonna sweep the Eisner Awards. Having BKV back in comics is too huge.

I think he can take the ones he's nominated in, but Saga has less noms than Hawkeye from what I glanced through yesterday. So I think Hawkeye can hopefully take 1 home possibly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Reynolds has played at least three comic characters. They should get him for it! How much could he possibly cost?
Oh that's right, he was goddamn Hannibal King too. They need to stop with the overlap man. Chris Evans alone wrinkles my brain most unpleasantly.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Aja is incredible and the best fit for this comic BY FAR, but Pulido is not that terrible of an artist. He's just being compared to what amounts to visual perfection. As far as I'm concerned, Pulido can get a pass for this picture (and only for this picture)

MiYAofx.png

Also, Kate is too real. Is Lady Hawkman anywhere as likeable in any other comic?

Yeah, I never got the hate for Pulido but when he has to fill in for Aja, it's definitely a tall order, but he does have his own style that I like too.

As for Kate, she's okay in her books, but I think she's best on Hawkeye really since she has Clint as a foil.

As far as I'm concerned, Pulido can get a pass for this picture (and only for this picture)

Also, Kate is too real. Is Lady Hawkman anywhere as likeable in any other comic?

Pulido didn't draw that panel, Jesse Hamm did.

Also Pulido is a great artist.

And yes, read Young Avengers for more Lady Hawkguy goodness.

Also, does Clint gets his ass handed to him this much in his own books? Because, my God, he really gets pulped pretty bad. It's like half of his body is perpetually covered with stitches.

Not really as in regular Avengers, he's usually bandage-free and remains as thus.

Aja remains the king, but the fill-in artists aren't bad by any stretch. Sometimes you gotta got somebody else while Aja's perfection is cooking.

I kinda wanna see Rafael Albuquerque do an issue. Love his work on American Vampire. Would like to see him try something "lighter"

Acid08

Banned
Pulido was okay but some of his faces/poses were straight up ugly and poor. Really excited to see Francavilla's take, he's one of my favorite artists right now.

Speaking of him is you guys aren't reading his pulp book The Black Beetle you are fucking up.

Monocle

It would be great if there were no guest artists but Aja can't keep up with every issue of a monthly comic. Its a lot of work.
I guess so. It's a shame though.

Pulido didn't draw that panel, Jesse Hamm did.

Also Pulido is a great artist.

And yes, read Young Avengers for more Lady Hawkguy goodness.
I know just enough about anatomy to be driven bonkers by an impossibly placed eye or a bone that's clearly dislocated. And Pulido's problems don't stop at anatomy. Technical skill is rarely concealed by style, and style certainly can't cover up the absence of skill. Aja's got it, Pulido hasn't. The difference is night and day to me.

Hopefully Aja takes home the pencillers award.
Seriously right? I'd love for him to get some official recognition for rocking so hard.

cross post from the da Vinci's Demons thread, but it turns out Matt Fraction and Johnathan Hickman are also writers for that show!

“

Hey, all, nerd-gasm here. One of the best parts of this job is that you occasionally get to call up people you admire out of the blue and ask them if they want to play in your sandbox. Sometimes, they say “yes”. So…

I managed to convince Starz and the powers that be to hire Matt and Jonathan on to write two episodes of Season 2 with our trusty staff.

In case you don’t know who Hickman and Fraction are — they are comic gods in the indie and Marvel world.

Jonathan kicked holy crap out of Fantastic Four for a number of years and is currently writing The Avengers. He’s also done some incredible indie books through Image like Pax Romana and The Manhattan Project.

Fraction inherited the two FF books from Hickman and also writes the Eisner-nominated book Hawkeye, which pretty much redefined the super-hero genre. He also created the quirky indie book Casanova.

I also tried to get Thomas Pynchon, but he said “no”.
”

the incredibly kind, amongst other things, David S. Goyer on me + jhix’s new gig

(also if you liked ep 1 last week? ep 2 this week is going to sheer the top of your fucking head off)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I read about that on his tumblr and was instantly confused, as the title makes it seem like one of those cheap knock off shows trying to capitalise on another franchise, like that show that was sort of Tomb Raider. Relic Hunter. Is this show supposed to be good then?

I read about that on his tumblr and was instantly confused, as the title makes it seem like one of those cheap knock off shows trying to capitalise on another franchise, like that show that was sort of Tomb Raider. Relic Hunter. Is this show supposed to be good then?

It's basically Da Vinci as Renaissance Batman. Kinda.

I might check out Da Vinci's Demons, somewhat intrigued but I'm also burnt out on the whole 'Batman'-type of hero.

We'll see.

Well, he's not Batman esque yet. Just has cool gadgets and a penchant for standing up for the little guy. And he can probably fly soon. There's mysterious conspiracies and shit, but also naked women, so yeah.

Top Bottom