• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YO. HAWKGUY. BRO.

Mr. Sam

Still waiting for my Hawkeye order >:|

I'm planning to jump on another superhero series from the 52 dc universe relaunch. At the moment I'm flirting with Snyders Batman, Aquaman or Green Lantern. Marvels latest Daredevil series also an attractive option.

What do you recommend HawkguyGAF?

Daredevil is fantastic, I'd absolutely recommend that.

Daredevil is amazing.

Yeah, Daredevil. Everybody go buy Hawkeye and Daredevil.

you guys recommending Daredevil - End of Days?

If so, you recommend it even if I haven't read any of the other Daredevil series? Isn't about the end of Daredevil or something?
You don't need to have an intimate knowledge of current Daredevil goings-on to read it.

Acid08

Banned
you guys recommending Daredevil - End of Days?

If so, you recommend it even if I haven't read any of the other Daredevil series? Isn't about the end of Daredevil or something?
No, not End of Days. The current run by Mark Waid.

WorldStar

Banned
No, not End of Days. The current run by Mark Waid.

Yeah I figured it out, just read the wiki page on "the new 52."

Seems interesting, gonna check out Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Never heard of Animal Man, but intrigued. It any good? Any other recommendations?

Acid08

Banned
Yeah I figured it out, just read the wiki page on "the new 52."

Seems interesting, gonna check out Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Never heard of Animal Man, but intrigued. It any good? Any other recommendations?
I didn't read much of Animal Man nu52. Hated the art but the story itself was interesting.

The best Animal Man story ever is Grant Morrison's run. Check that out.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's been so long I don't even know what Hawkguy looks like any more.

hawkblocking.jpg

Happy to help, bro.

WHERE DID YOU BUY THESE AND FOR HOW MUCH?

I NEED TO BUY SOME

I NEED TO COMPLETE THE COLLECTION

PLS WILDER.

Hehe, I've shot them on Ebay for a little less than 60€.

Edit: I'm already through the first 2 issues. So far it's awesome. Those dialogs man, THOSE DIALOGS!
I'm already afraid of them moment when I will be done with those 10 issues and I have to wait to get more of this goodness :D

Edit 2: Man, what an idiot I've been, staying out of the comic business the last few years. It feels so good to finally get back to business. Have to read other comics as well!

Edit 3: Did I mention those are all 1st printings? :D

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I also wanted to thank this thread for convincing me to give this series a try... I've been out of comic books for a while, and was mostly a DC fan in the past, but this book is just so good. Fraction's dialogue and character interactions are perfect and I have a huge artist-crush on Aja for injecting his incredible design sensibility into every cover and panel.

Unfortunately, I'm buying strictly digital issues + the TPB... pretty jealous of wilder.Boy's collection of all those 1st printing floppies. :p Tried to make up for it with this additional pick-up though...

tumblr_monuls2tUD1rn8nkfo1_500.jpg

Hehe, I've shot them on Ebay for a little less than 60€.

Edit: I'm already through the first 2 issues. So far it's awesome. Those dialogs man, THOSE DIALOGS!
I'm already afraid of them moment when I will be done with those 10 issues and I have to wait to get more of this goodness :D

Edit 2: Man, what an idiot I've been, staying out of the comic business the last few years. It feels so good to finally get back to business. Have to read other comics as well!

Edit 3: Did I mention those are all 1st printings? :D

tumblr_m5qex3nGYx1r3zat8.gif

From Matt Fraction's tumblr, something I hadn't noticed from the preview to #11:

RAZqIcG.jpg
tN504Bu.jpg

Same scene, different perspective.

Yeah I saw that on tumblr and reposted it on my own.

I love how Pizza Dog is 'facepaw'ing' and is basically done with everyone's shit.

Cannot wait until the 26th to finally read this issue.

Acid08

Banned
tumblr_mos66fTqvq1qhp6tuo1_400.jpg

This is Pierce. His previous catch phrase was "hawkeye" so this was OBVIOUSLY going to happen the second he asked me to change it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, I have no idea if any previous Hawkeye series have been anything like this, so I can't really recommend anything else. I love this series for being about him in his downtime, being very down to earth and the writing is awesome. It seems to stand out among all the other superhero books by being about a regular guy trying to make it work. I don't know if anything else has tried that before. Plus the art really adds so much to the charm of the thing.

So i dont really read comics regularly.

I have only ever read Y the last man at the inistance of my friends and the first 3 trades of Walking dead.

I hate being so shallow like this, but when TWD changed artists my interest dropped dramatically. I hated the new art because i loved the one it started with so much and i eventually dropped it.

I had the same reaction to the 4th issue of Hawkeye. I randomly clicked this thread a few months ago and have continued to every time it popped up until last night when i decided what the hell, and i download comixolgoy and jumped in. Loved the first 3 until i hit the two parter in 4 and 5, I had another 180 moment of sudden disinterest. I realize its just a guest artist and it gets back to normal, but does this type of thing happen alot? Should i always bee looking at he preview pages for comics i pick up to make sure its something i'll like?

Also, am i crazy? Have any of you experienced comic book fans gone through what i have? It feels weirdly shameful fr some reason because its still written by the same guy whose previous issue i have really enjoyed, but i cant deny those scans people posted occasionally were a huge part of why i decided to download them.

Anyway, thank you GAF for introducing something awesome to me outside my comfort zone.

Acid08

Banned

I have only ever read Y the last man at the inistance of my friends and the first 3 trades of Walking dead.

I hate being so shallow like this, but when TWD changed artists my interest dropped dramatically. I hated the new art because i loved the one it started with so much and i eventually dropped it.

I had the same reaction to the 4th issue of Hawkeye. I randomly clicked this thread a few months ago and have continued to every time it popped up until last night when i decided what the hell, and i download comixolgoy and jumped in. Loved the first 3 until i hit the two parter in 4 and 5, I had another 180 moment of sudden disinterest. I realize its just a guest artist and it gets back to normal, but does this type of thing happen alot? Should i always bee looking at he preview pages for comics i pick up to make sure its something i'll like?

Also, am i crazy? Have any of you experienced comic book fans gone through what i have? It feels weirdly shameful fr some reason because its still written by the same guy whose previous issue i have really enjoyed, but i cant deny those scans people posted occasionally were a huge part of why i decided to download them.

Anyway, thank you GAF for introducing something awesome to me outside my comfort zone.
No, I get what you mean. I was actually excited to see Pulido on there at first because he's usually really great but it wasn't his best work.

It's going to happen with this series because Aja isn't a work horse that can crank out issues on the one a month schedule. Fortunately the first artists we've gotten after Pulido have been great. The hurricane issue was rushed so it has two guests artists. Francavilla is doing two issues but he's one of the best in the business, his work is incredible. Stick with it.

Check out my haul that just arrived from Amazon :)

Can't wait to dig into Hawkeye, but the others look promising as well!!

Told myself i was only gonna keep going with ONE of these series, the one i like best, but i can already tell how this is gonna end sigh...

Can't wait to dig into Hawkeye, but the others look promising as well!!

Told myself i was only gonna keep going with ONE of these series, the one i like best, but i can already tell how this is gonna end sigh...

Great choices! I wanted to order Daredevil Vol.1 today at my local comic store as well. Unfortunately it was closed so I have to go again tomorrow and order this sweety. Tell me how you've liked Aquaman after reading ;)

Slizz

Alright, gonna have to check out this Daredevil since everyone here agrees its good.

Lemme get this Pizza Dog issue and July issues already in my veinssssssssss

mu cephei

I had a similar reaction. I bought the TPB because of the art posted in this thread, and was pretty cheesed off when I got to story 4 & 5 (and the young avengers story after that is just dire). I wasn't expecting it; I rarely read comics.
I understand from this thread that Aja can't do all the artwork himself, but I'd rather just wait longer for each story.
It only temporarily put me off pre-ordering the 2nd TPB though.

Top Bottom