• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's touch and go pics

SantaC

old?

37_1098388541_001.jpg

37_1098388541_002.jpg

37_1098388541_003.jpg

MutFox

Banned
Game looks AWESOME!
That game is one of the primary reasons I'm getting a DS.
(So glad DS is coming out, so tired of the same types of games with different art direction.)

SantaC

AniHawk said:
So is this Yoshi's Island 1.5?

It looks like something that'd appear on the CDi. :|

cdi? If anything it looks like a mix between SMW and Yoshi's island in terms of graphics.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Some of the graphical style DOES look similar to the CDI -- it might be the backgrounds.

I think the game looks neat, personally. It's Yoshi, Gumshoe, and Balloon Fight, all mixed into one.

Coen

That's for gameplay purposes. I know it sounds funny and stupid, but it's true. You have to draw circles around enemies and lines over gaps to navigate Yoshi. More onscreen actions would've made this game unplayable.

MutFox said:
Game looks AWESOME!
That game is one of the primary reasons I'm getting a DS.
(So glad DS is coming out, so tired of the same types of games with different art direction.)

The thing I like about the DS is it's like the N64 but with both 2D and 3D games.

shibbs

Coen said:
That's for gameplay purposes. I know it sounds funny and stupid, but it's true. You have to draw circles around enemies and lines over gaps to navigate Yoshi. More onscreen actions would've made this game unplayable.

Thats true but they could do some work on the background.

Mrbob

I think he is trying to state that Yoshi's Island has more style, color, and substance while this touch and go game looks a bit drab in comparison.

jarrod

Banned
The concept sounds great, but I have to agree about the visuals. Maybe it's the color palette but it just reminds me of those crap Software Creations Mario edutainment games... none of the visual flair from Yoshi's Island, Story or Universal Gravitation is present here.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Looks hot to me. I really dug that short video of it from awhile back. One of the ones I'm most looking forward to.

Dragmire

But what you don't see in the screens is that Mario is falling at hundreds of miles an hour. A later plot twist in the game is that Baby Bowser slipped an A-Bomb into Baby Mario's diaper, and it's up to Yoshi to absorb most of the impact. That's right, this is Yoshi's final game.

snapty00

Banned
I can't put my finger on it, but it seems like a lot of Nintendo's DS efforts have a very cheap, amateur-ish look to them or something. At any rate, I think it's safe to assume that a lot of the staff that worked on Nintendo's older games aren't working on these, for whatever reasons (whether they're busy working on other titles or just aren't with Nintendo, anymore).

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
snapty00 said:
I can't put my finger on it, but it seems like a lot of Nintendo's DS efforts have a very cheap, amateur-ish look to them or something. At any rate, I think it's safe to assume that a lot of the staff that worked on Nintendo's older games aren't working on these, for whatever reasons (whether they're busy working on other titles or just aren't with Nintendo, anymore).

i'm getting one anyway as i'm a sucker for new gadgets but i kind of feel this way too :\
the one thing i was also scared of is the DS support not 'ramping up' over the next year or so. i dunno. while some of the games look great, others look more like glorified tech demos to me - i'm also concerned about the length of the games- but it's not really something you can verify until they're actually out- just gotta wait it out i guess :D

Scalemail Ted said:
Who's developing this title?

So far what I've found out is that Yoshi's Touch and Go is being produced by Animal Crossing producer Takeshi Tezuka.

Hmmm...I'll search for some more details

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Yes I meant the art style of island is much better then touch and go. I don’t see how you can’t have vibrant backgrounds as long as the enemies stick out by being well animated and sensibly couloured!

Sein

Neo Member
Does the game scroll vertically? If not, I'm not sure why it'd be helpful to see what's happening far above or below Yoshi.

Blackbird

Sein said:
Does the game scroll vertically? If not, I'm not sure why it'd be helpful to see what's happening far above or below Yoshi.

it does. There's two kinds of 'levels' in Yoshi's Touch & Go:
- vertical levels, in which you'll have to guide baby Mario down to the ground by drawing clouds as walls or 'stairs'
- horizontal levels, in which you'll be guiding Yoshi, including egg-throwing I think

Memles

While sidescrolling (Yoshi moves automatically) you fire eggs at the enemies in the sky to collect items. That's why it's important to see what is above Yoshi.

And from the footage I've seen of the game in the Japanese DS conference trailer, Yoshi seems to animate really well, and since there's a lot going on it looks fine.

bitwise

Banned
deadlifter said:
OMG teh mature.

Dood Your sooo kewl. DS is teh kiddy!!!

hmm.. when I am trying to do something to look "cool", the first thing that comes to mind isn't posting on a gaming message board.

Why can't people admit when a game is for kids around here??

AniHawk

bitwise said:
hmm.. when I am trying to do something to look "cool", the first thing that comes to mind isn't posting on a gaming message board.

I think people are still pissed about your Paper Mario statement.

Memles

Socreges said:
What's the difference between this and the Gravitation game? I don't know how either plays, tbh.

Yoshi's Touch and Go - the game scrolls automatically; Baby Mario floats down at the beginning of a level, and you have to draw the clouds to keep him safe, and to get coins (I think you get Blue Coins worth two if you circle an enemy with the stylus). After Baby Mario lands safely on Yoshi's back, it heads into a sidescrolling area.

Yoshi moves automatically. Tap on Yoshi to jump and tap again for him to flutter in midair. Draw bridges across gaps, or draw circles around enemies. As you collect eggs, you can fire these into the upper screen to get coins and attack enemies.

Gravitational: Uses the GBA Tilt Sensor, only Yoshi is involved, and although I'm not sure exactly how it works, it is not similar to Touch and Go.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
bitwise said:

Why does everything have to be kiddie vs. mature?

Why can't games be good vs. bad? Which is what really matters.

The fact that you won't try a game because it looks like it is made for kids makes you come off as an insecure and immature person.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
deadlifter said:
Why does everything have to be kiddie vs. mature?

Why can't games be good vs. bad? Which is what really matters.

The fact that you won't try a game because it looks like it is made for kids makes you come off as an insecure and immature person.

I love you

Memles

Cloudy said:
WTF, that is A DS game? Why does is have SNES graphics? o_O

Go to GameSpot. Watch the Trailer of multiple games from the Japanese conference.

It animated far better than it looks in still shots...plus, the game is all about the functionality anyway. It's the closest thing to a tech demo the system has, but the press loved it.

Cloudy said:
WTF, that is A DS game? Why does is have SNES graphics? o_O
What sort of difference were you expecting for a game with this style to have that's apparent in screen shots? It appears to use more colors.

Top Bottom