• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Don't Know Jack |OT| None of these hostages leaves until Cookie gets his chopper

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Cartman86 said:
Like in the Giantbomb Quicklook my 360 version has horrible audio skipping. I tried installing to see if that fixed it, but nope.
No skipping audio here, 360 version installed to HD.

Mister Zimbu said:
Had to kill my save file after 8 games because I went for the -$1,000,000 jack attack achievement and completely ruined my stats.
Couldn't you just have created a new contestant for that?

XiaNaphryz said:
No skipping audio here, 360 version installed to HD.

Couldn't you just have created a new contestant for that?

Wasn't thinking about my overall stats when I initially did it.

Was in an XBL game which you can't use custom contestants on anyway. Otherwise I'd've just started a new contestant as a blank slate.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm getting hungry for Jack. Any USA Gaffers willing to Steam gift this for me? I have Psychonauts for trade (lousy bum of a friend never redeemed it) and Half-Life 2 so if you fancy a trade I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: Crossposting. There's a copy of Dead Space 1 sent to a family member but not redeemed, so if there's interest I'll make sure the gift was really wanted.

I just bought this for the Wii at Wal-Mart. Less than $40 Canadian was nice -- appreciate the budget price. The wife and I played an episode and we've got 72 left, so it should last a while. :)

ScrabbleDude said:
I just bought this for the Wii at Wal-Mart. Less than $40 Canadian was nice -- appreciate the budget price. The wife and I played an episode and we've got 72 left, so it should last a while. :)

How was it????????

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
How was it????????
Awesome. I imagine it's about the same experience as it would be for local multiplayer on an HD console. Fully voiced and everything.

Basically it was everything I was looking for and my wife liked it too -- she'd never played YDKJ before.

ScrabbleDude said:
Awesome. I imagine it's about the same experience as it would be for local multiplayer on an HD console. Fully voiced and everything.

Basically it was everything I was looking for and my wife liked it too -- she'd never played YDKJ before.

Cool to know.

webrunner

ScrabbleDude said:

I assume the Wii version doesn't have internet play or DLC?

Doodis

Thnikkaman said:
I'm getting hungry for Jack. Any USA Gaffers willing to Steam gift this for me? I have Psychonauts for trade (lousy bum of a friend never redeemed it) and Half-Life 2 so if you fancy a trade I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: Crossposting. There's a copy of Dead Space 1 sent to a family member but not redeemed, so if there's interest I'll make sure the gift was really wanted.
Remind me to never ask for a gift from you.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Got the game today and played 4 episodes with my roommates. What a great game this is. Having some people over Friday night to play some more of it, can't wait.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Emerson said:
Got the game today and played 4 episodes with my roommates. What a great game this is. Having some people over Friday night to play some more of it, can't wait.
yuuup. this is jack for real. which is one of the highest compliments i could pay a game. can't wait to play it with friends this weekend too

Doodis

Thnikkaman said:
Then you must be the lousiest of bums! Be glad, for the best thing I would send you is a biscuit through the post. I say!
Is this supposed to be a derogatory thing? Because I actually like biscuits, if by biscuit you mean cookie, and if by cookie you mean COOKIE MASTERSON!

Fox Mulder

Emerson said:

yep, great fun.

I've only played a bit by myself because I don't want to ruin any of the episodes for when playing with friends. Gonna get drunk and play the shit out of this game this weekend.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
apparently someone found out via the YDKJ facebook age that the game will NOT be coming out anywhere else. Jellyvision said it's out of their hands so could be a THQ decision, all the rights and so on are probably a nightmare.

sucks, I was all up for my first quiz game too.

Can any nice person inform me on whether this game can be imported and educate me on the ramifications of playing it on a UK Xbox? No online play? No DLC?

Really disappointed, THQ don't even respond on twitter the assholes.

Played another 2 rounds with the wife. Those wrong answers are super hard to find. Kept it in mind the whole game and never found one.

I'm taking the Jeopardy online test in 3 minutes, so hopefully that was enough to get me ready.

Trakdown

Just played a round...already got a wrong answer of the game. It's like they never left. :)

Commercials are still hilarious too
Racist Doctor, :lol

MrDaravon

SailorDaravon said:
Got confirmation from Ryan Davis via twitter, but can anyone re-confirm that there's no subtitle option anywhere for Cookie's dialogue? My wife is hard of hearing, so if there's not that makes this a likely no purchase :/

Anyone?

MrDaravon

XiaNaphryz said:
Didn't see any options. Turn up the TV volume? Or use headphones on a secondary output?

Doesn't work that way, voices over electronics just don't carry at all for her really.

AstroLad said:
fwiw i'm pretty sure all the relevant information is written out. you miss the banter that's it

Right, but let's be honest, the banter is half of it.

Will pass, super disappointing that in 2011 we still can't get proper subtitle options in game releases. I still almost on a daily basis get thanking me via email for a Resident Evil 4 transcript I posted on GameFAQS like 5 years ago (half from deaf/hoh, and half from people where english is not their first language). I don't know if game companies are just clueless to this audience or what.

Cynar

This is such an awesome game. Bought it purely for nostalgia on 360 and the fact that my girlfriend never played. We played 3 episodes together and she trounced me. So much fun and she loved it too, good replacement for no 1 vs 100 anymore.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm sure this is just wishful thinking but I would absolutely love to see a regular stream of new episodes added to this game. It seems there's at least 4 packs coming though.

Trakdown

Anybody else not able to get DLC on PS3? I tried finding it and I keep getting an error that forces the game to restart.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Haeleos said:
$4000 bonuses and penalties in Jack Attack is fucking bullshit.
Yah, here are my finicky nitpicks, with the qualifier that this is the best trivia game out by far:

-I actually like the new system where everyone gets to answer the normal questions. afaicr the old system wasn't so much a design decision as the best way to handle three people huddled around a keyboard. The new system is great because everyone gets to participate in every question, and, far more importantly, more people get to be mocked for wrong answers, BUT: There needs to be more of a bonus for answering fast. Maybe $1000 for the fastest right answer? Something like that. Restore some of that tension.

-Jack Attack values are way inflated such that it basically will always come down to the Jack Attack. I don't even remember how it used to work, but I remember Jack Attack being important but not everything. The Jack Attack values basically make the first five questions unimportant, and make the bonuses for answering fast really unhelpful.

-I do miss all the question types we saw in The Ride. A few more question types would have been great.

But man I love the mockery of wrong answers. A+

Lorr

I'm torn between the Wii version, which would be easier to play with more people, or the PS3 version, which has DLC.
Help me GAF, you're my only hope :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Lorr said:
I'm torn between the Wii version, which would be easier to play with more people, or the PS3 version, which has DLC.
Help me GAF, you're my only hope :(

Well the DLC will amount to additional content that becomes over 1/2 the size of the original game when it's out, and even more substantial if it goes beyond 4 packs. Main reason I have no interest in the PC version right now, it'd be missing half the game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
People complaining that the question number intro videos need more variety should probably note that there actually is subtle variety. Play through eight or ten episodes in a row and you'll see that each intro video has a few variations. The most obvious one is Question 6.

AstroLad said:
-Jack Attack values are way inflated such that it basically will always come down to the Jack Attack. I don't even remember how it used to work, but I remember Jack Attack being important but not everything. The Jack Attack values basically make the first five questions unimportant, and make the bonuses for answering fast really unhelpful.

Yes, this is true. A simple finger-slip or gun-jump in JA can cause an $8000 swing (you flub it, get gunshy, opponent buzzes in) and most games have maybe maximum a 10-12k margin at that point. The Disordat in particular comes a little too early, we've found that if it comes at question 4, the person who is behind is normally behind by less than a few hundred bucks. Stealing on the Disordat helps mitigate that, though.

-I do miss all the question types we saw in The Ride. A few more question types would have been great.

There's a few question types.
- Who's the Dummy?
- Cookie's Fortune Cookie Fortunes With Cookie "Fortune Cookie" Masterson
- The Put The Answers In The Right Order And Buzz In To See If You Are Right Ques Tion
- the one where Cookie has a weird dream
- the one where Cookie looks through someone's trash and you have to guess whose trash it is
- the one where the intern misremembers a quote and you need to figure out who said the actual quote
- Disordat
- Jack Attack
+ Wrong Answer of the Game

What did the Ride have?
- Road Kill
- BINGO
- Gibberish Questions
- Disordat
- Jack Attack
- I can't remember, did the Ride have the impossible questions where every answer cost you bigtime?

So I think the variety is probably around the same.

Stumpokapow said:
There's a few question types.
- Who's the Dummy?
- Cookie's Fortune Cookie Fortunes With Cookie "Fortune Cookie" Masterson
- The Put The Answers In The Right Order And Buzz In To See If You Are Right Ques Tion
- the one where Cookie looks through someone's trash and you have to guess whose trash it is
- the one where the intern misremembers a quote and you need to figure out who said the actual quote

These aren't really different question types though- they're just standard questions that happen to have a theme song before them.

I'm also disappointed with the lack of minigame type questions to mix it up, but the Wrong Answer of the Game is a great addition and is a good stride towards making up for it.

Besides the horrible online lag, this is still a great game.

ultron87

The game only being 10 questions long has made it come down the Jack Attack every single time for our group. Last night I was several thousand dollars in the red when the Jack Attack started, did really well (5 out of 7 I think) and rocketed into the lead.

There just isn't enough questions to build out a sizeable lead. Especially when you consider that everyone gets to answer each question, so if it's an easy question no one will really gain on anyone else.

This isn't really a bad thing, since you should have to do at least semi decently in the Jack Attack to win, but it's definitely different from the original game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mister Zimbu said:
These aren't really different question types though- they're just standard questions that happen to have a theme song before them.

I'm also disappointed with the lack of minigame type questions to mix it up, but the Wrong Answer of the Game is a great addition and is a good stride towards making up for it.

Besides the horrible online lag, this is still a great game.
yeah that's the thing, the new question types are mostly window dressing. here's a list of question types from jack over the years (culled down from wikipedia's list) that i think would have worked well in this game and that illustrate how you can really do trivia variety (unfortunately several of the good ones (not included below) did rely on keyboard use, so that's definitely part of the issue):

Sequel Question: Some questions have questions that refer to them and are guaranteed to appear immediately after them. When this happens, all three selectable categories will refer to the sequel question. In The Ride and 5th Dementia, all questions are arranged into 'episodes' whose questions always appear in the same order. This allows for a question to refer to any previous question, and for running jokes to be made.

Road Kill/Coinkydink: Exists in The Ride (as RoadKill) and Mock 2 (as Coinkydink). In this fast-paced question type, you're given two clues. A series of words fly by and you have to buzz in when the word that connects the two is on the screen. A bonus is given at the end if the commonality of all the answers is selected.

Jack BINGO: This exists only in The Ride. Here, you are given a five-letter word followed by a series of clues. Your job is to buzz in when the first letter of the answer is lit up. If you collect all five letters, you get the bonus prize.

Wendithap'n: This only exists in Louder! Faster! Funner! and Mock 2 and follow the same rules as the ThreeWay. In this question type, you are given an event, followed by several more events which you have to decide when it happened in relation to the main event: Before, after, or if it never happened at all.

Impossible Questions: Only appearing in Vol.3 and the first PlayStation version, Impossible questions are worth very large amounts of money, but as the name implies, they are almost always very, very difficult. An example of an impossible question is one which asks the players what the word 'pyrrhic'. The Lost Gold had a variation of this question as well, but it was more Pirate-oriented questions, for example "What was the name of Blackbeard's Parrot?"

This game really makes me realize how absolutely no other trivia games have clever questions, and it's so refreshing. Buzz has lots of garnish, but when it comes down to the questions, they are actually even plainer than Trivial Pursuit questions. It's nice to have good writers.

Looking at the Wiki also confirms that the Jack Attack was traditionally $2000 (wanted to make sure since I remember playing some volumes where it was different). No idea why this was doubled. $2000 is the right number.

webrunner

AstroLad said:
Sequel Question: Some questions have questions that refer to them and are guaranteed to appear immediately after them. When this happens, all three selectable categories will refer to the sequel question. In The Ride and 5th Dementia, all questions are arranged into 'episodes' whose questions always appear in the same order. This allows for a question to refer to any previous question, and for running jokes to be made.

There are actually "unofficial" sequel questions in the new Jack as the orders are set.. in the QL, for instance, the question about String Theory was followed up by "A Fun String Theory Question!" which was about actual string.

Azura

I just got this game yesterday and played one round, very fun so far, feel free to add me on xbl as vixen23 if you wanna play a multiplayer round

Fladam

Considering it has been eight years since the last full retail release, I can't find much to complain about here. Even the DLC is comparably priced.

Chairhome

webrunner said:
There are actually "unofficial" sequel questions in the new Jack as the orders are set.. in the QL, for instance, the question about String Theory was followed up by "A Fun String Theory Question!" which was about actual string.
Yeah, that was fun, we ran into that last night.

AstroLad said:
Looking at the Wiki also confirms that the Jack Attack was traditionally $2000 (wanted to make sure since I remember playing some volumes where it was different). No idea why this was doubled. $2000 is the right number.

What? $2000 dollar jack attack kind of ruined the game and now they bumped it up to four?

newsguy

I picked this up today just from watching the quick look. I always knew about YDKJ but never played it. I ask my girlfriend to play since I've been trying to find something she'll play with me. She suggests strip YDKJ... FUCKYEA.gif My question is: how would one go about the logistics? Since they're only 10 questions per episode, how many wrong should be allowed before the first article of clothing comes off?

Wehrwolf

I understand that they wouldn't want to do it online because of it messing up with statistics, but it'd be nice to be able to modify the value of Jack Attack for offline games at least.

I'm fine with the $4,000 Jack Attack values mainly because it keeps everybody in the game. With $2,000 it's pretty easy for someone to get shut out, especially with the added fourth player. Maybe it's a bit high, but $2,500 or $3,000 would work.

Top Bottom