• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Don't Know Jack |OT| None of these hostages leaves until Cookie gets his chopper

Ondore

So has anyone taken the plunge on the DS version yet?

I'm hoping for single cart play but not exactly holding my breath...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Getting the "lose a million in Jack Attack" achievement is a bit trickier than it looks, you can't just spam the button haphazardly. And the phrases only repeat once, so you need to jam on the button really quickly but take quick pauses in case the right answer appears.

Impossible Questions: Only appearing in Vol.3 and the first PlayStation version, Impossible questions are worth very large amounts of money, but as the name implies, they are almost always very, very difficult. An example of an impossible question is one which asks the players what the word 'pyrrhic'. The Lost Gold had a variation of this question as well, but it was more Pirate-oriented questions, for example "What was the name of Blackbeard's Parrot?"
I remember one of them was "I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10. What is it?"

I guessed right, it was
five
. Thought it was hilarious they would use that as a question.

XiaNaphryz

Also, if they would just randomize the answer placements for the questions, that would sorta help replayability since you'd have a half second of looking at the screen to find it. It would help online games somewhat at least if you end up on an ep someone's already played.

The original plan for next weekend was a potluck night and then a whole lot of Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but I am tempted to throw YDKJ into the mix because only half the people at the party will want to play MVC.

Chairhome

Loving this game. It kind of sucks that "put the answers in the right order and buzz in to see if you are right question" is not an accurate title, cause you don't actually buzz in. I was expecting it to be like Scene it where you try to put the stuff in the right order then hit the buzzer. This turns out to be exactly like a regular multiple choice question. Not a huge deal, game is amazing.

Uggg! I'm having some major retardation issues with trying to set up a 2 local v 2 online party for this game. Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong? The primary issue is that everytime a second local player tries to jump on in the party it kicks everyone out.

Edit: 360 version here

bh7812

Banned
I know there's going to be some people reading this thread who've never played a YDKJ game before and are wondering if they're worth it or not. Let me put it like this: Do whatever you have to to scrape up the 30 bucks for this game, if it's anything like the original PC games that is. This series is pretty much the "Twilight Zone" of quiz games in a good way imo. It's not your boring, standard quiz game show at all. It's quirky, funny and these games have a ton of imagination. I have 1, 2, 3 and The Ride...haven't gotten to play 5 or 6 because I couldn't find them when I wanted to buy them :( I'll say I was disappointed a bit with The Ride but to each his own. Anyway, do whatever ya gotta to get the money for it. The Jellyvision guys deserve the support that's for sure.

While the thread's hot, I have a general YDKJ question regarding the original games I've been trying to get an answer to for a while. I love the little jingles they have for the different questions and a lot of the musical audio that is in 1, 2, and 3. My question is: Is there any way to rip the musical audio portions from the CD's so that I can listen to them outside the games or no? I figure there's gotta be a way to access the sound files but can't figure out where I'd find them on the CDs. My laptop can run the games no problem, much older desktop has started having trouble running them so it would be easier to have all the music in one place so I can listen to it without running the games. Is there a soundtrack for the first 3 games I could buy that includes all the music? I'm pretty tech-savvy so if I can rip the music off the CDs I'd rather do it that way.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chairhome said:
Loving this game. It kind of sucks that "put the answers in the right order and buzz in to see if you are right question" is not an accurate title, cause you don't actually buzz in. I was expecting it to be like Scene it where you try to put the stuff in the right order then hit the buzzer. This turns out to be exactly like a regular multiple choice question. Not a huge deal, game is amazing.
yeah i just ran across that today too. would have been a good opportunity for a new question type for sure. when they said it was worth extra money i was sure that would be it but nope just a regular abxy question so doesn't make much sense to me.

they also really need to fix the $4000 jack attack number. just wrong on every level

Doodis

Saint10118 said:
Uggg! I'm having some major retardation issues with trying to set up a 2 local v 2 online party for this game. Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong? The primary issue is that everytime a second local player tries to jump on in the party it kicks everyone out.

Edit: 360 version here
I was just met with the same frustration. I know you can't take a "guest" online with you, but I had two Xbox Live gold member profiles on my machine and it wouldn't let us pair up for the game. Really frustrating.

Also, the mic was automatically muted for both me and my friend online. I was using Kinect, he was on a regular headset. None of our mute settings were on. Anyone know what's up with that?

Otherwise, the game is classic YDKJ. Awesome.

C4Lukins

I hope word of mouth spreads on this game. Only 9000 people on the 360 leaderboard as of last night. My mom is actually going to buy it so she can play with me online.

A really fun game just like the rest of the series, but there are so many little ways they could improve it. The Jack Attack scoring system is so silly, with it typically accounting for more then half my score. I think 13 questions is closer to the soft spot, with Jack Attack scoring at maybe around 2500 a question. They also need a few easy questions each round to make it appealing to a broader audience. I worry about my parents playing it and how out of touch they will be with the majority of the questions. I really hope it does well so we can see a better version in the near future.

Doodis said:
I was just met with the same frustration. I know you can't take a "guest" online with you, but I had two Xbox Live gold member profiles on my machine and it wouldn't let us pair up for the game. Really frustrating.

Also, the mic was automatically muted for both me and my friend online. I was using Kinect, he was on a regular headset. None of our mute settings were on. Anyone know what's up with that?

Otherwise, the game is classic YDKJ. Awesome.
Thanks for the response - this really has to be fixed as I'm really not understanding a rationale as to why this wasn't implemented in the first place. What really makes it suck is that, as you said, the game is awesome otherwise.

C4Lukins said:
I hope word of mouth spreads on this game. Only 9000 people on the 360 leaderboard as of last night. My mom is actually going to buy it so she can play with me online.
In Canada, this was downright impossible to find on the 360, and PS3 has been sold out. I don't think THQ thought this was going to sell, it's really under the radar.

C4Lukins

AlphaTwo00 said:
In Canada, this was downright impossible to find on the 360, and PS3 has been sold out. I don't think THQ thought this was going to sell, it's really under the radar.

It really needs a demo, and a bit of distribution. I mean how hard could it be to just put the first few episodes up for free?

bryehn

SailorDaravon said:
Doesn't work that way, voices over electronics just don't carry at all for her really.

Right, but let's be honest, the banter is half of it.

Will pass, super disappointing that in 2011 we still can't get proper subtitle options in game releases. I still almost on a daily basis get thanking me via email for a Resident Evil 4 transcript I posted on GameFAQS like 5 years ago (half from deaf/hoh, and half from people where english is not their first language). I don't know if game companies are just clueless to this audience or what.

I agree this really sucks and is inexcusable in 2011 from an accessibility standpoint.

That said, I love this game. It's very fun and funny and made for a fun evening with friends.

Xater

kaizoku said:
apparently someone found out via the YDKJ facebook age that the game will NOT be coming out anywhere else. Jellyvision said it's out of their hands so could be a THQ decision, all the rights and so on are probably a nightmare.

sucks, I was all up for my first quiz game too.

Can any nice person inform me on whether this game can be imported and educate me on the ramifications of playing it on a UK Xbox? No online play? No DLC?

Really disappointed, THQ don't even respond on twitter the assholes.

That sucks. I want to import but in this case the pop culture stuff might not always translate.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Xater said:
That sucks. I want to import but in this case the pop culture stuff might not always translate.

Pop Culture stuff isn't too bad in this edition (there are lots of jokes about Facebook, Twitter, Jersey Shore, etc so you obviously need to know Pop Culture, but I mean it's nothing you couldn't read on the Internet) but you might be a little confused because government/politics questions are US-centric and questions that relate to measurements are all imperial rather than metric.

Stumpokapow said:
Pop Culture stuff isn't too bad in this edition (there are lots of jokes about Facebook, Twitter, Jersey Shore, etc so you obviously need to know Pop Culture, but I mean it's nothing you couldn't read on the Internet) but you might be a little confused because government/politics questions are US-centric and questions that relate to measurements are all imperial rather than metric.
I felt like there was more pop culture stuff then there used to be, but I also don't know any of the pop culture questions anymore so I think I just notice them more.
Hey, can anyone guess the face my friends put on when I asked who the hell Michael Scott was?

Xater

Stumpokapow said:

Ok that might be even a bigger deal, especially imperial measurements.

Xater said:
Ok that might be even a bigger deal, especially imperial measurements.
Many of those questions however have to do with relating the two units of measurement from what I've seen so you kind of have to know both anyways.

Meier

Absolutely loving it.. plays well online although I had some weird lag/jumping during the Jack Attack in one game last night unfortunately. The obvious issue with playing online is that I clearly played against someone who had already gone through an Episode and it obviously affected the fun of the game quite a bit.

Have a points card coming via Amazon (ugh, I hate the removal of the online codes from there) to get the extra episode.

The Jack Attack is really the only time lag is even a problem and it's not just on my end. Often a very easy answer goes by and it's clear everyone tried to answer and no one was recognized. I find it very hard to concentrate with my mic on but it's way more funny if everyone is yelling and bitching screwing each other.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
$5 for 100 questions. :/

Not sure how I feel about that.

Edit: Also saw the quick look. Is the it really that long to load the questions and answers or is there some game show host thing that I'm not seeing/"hearing" before the questions?

XiaNaphryz

TheSeks said:
$5 for 100 questions. :/

Not sure how I feel about that.

Edit: Also saw the quick look. Is the it really that long to load the questions and answers or is there some game show host thing that I'm not seeing/"hearing" before the questions?
What? Are you not hearing all the host chatter or something that the players are laughing/responding to? Or are you referring to the animated "1ne, 2wo, etc" bits before each question pops up?

see5harp

Really enjoying this game but it seems like they should take away some of the strength of the Jack Attack. Seems like 90% of the matches I've played so far have all come down to the last round.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
see5harp said:
Really enjoying this game but it seems like they should take away some of the strength of the Jack Attack. Seems like 90% of the matches I've played so far have all come down to the last round.
Yep there's just no excuse for it tbh.

Meier

AstroLad said:
Especially since even if you slam on the button it's kind of a crap shoot on whether or not you'll be determined to be first.

see5harp

AstroLad said:

Love the Dis or Dat. It would be nice if something like that was the last round instead of always Jack Attack. I almost would rather it be like the first two rounds where you can get a random "put the words into order" or "ventriloquist lisp answers." Then the game would feel more like The Price is Right (always sorta wished the bidding wasn't always the last part of Price is Right also).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheSeks said:

IIRC you're hard of hearing, and the game's host is not captioned. Unfortunately, you're missing like 50% of the appeal of the game.

Meier

ultron87 said:
The alternate Question 10 animation is incredible.
The 1 and 0 sex one where she pops out a baby? Priceless.

One thing to mention for potential buyers.. as of last week, they didn't sell this at the Target I went to so I had to get it on Amazon (which I'd normally do but I wanted it over the weekend so I tried to go B&M.. no luck).

ultron87

Meier said:
The 1 and 0 sex one where she pops out a baby? Priceless.

It's so simple, yet so explicit.

I was specifically referring to the alternate version of it where she
has a devil baby with horns and stuff.

6 is still my favorite though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
see5harp said:
Love the Dis or Dat. It would be nice if something like that was the last round instead of always Jack Attack. I almost would rather it be like the first two rounds where you can get a random "put the words into order" or "ventriloquist lisp answers." Then the game would feel more like The Price is Right (always sorta wished the bidding wasn't always the last part of Price is Right also).
I don't mind the Jack Attack since it's been around since the beginning, but it would probably be perfect at around $1000/$1500 a question. That's still a lot. But the Jack Attack questions are generally so easy that all of a sudden it's like Jeopardy with Watson and just a buzzing contest. You mention the Dis or Dat and it's unfortunate that the amounts are so low there compared to Attack that it's almost completely meaningless how you do.

see5harp

Wish there were a few more pop culture questions too. Like R. Kelly album or children's toy Dis or Dat level difficulty. I aced that one with 20 seconds left. 12 Play WAS MY SHIT.

faceless007 said:
I remember one of them was "I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10. What is it?"

I guessed right, it was
five
. Thought it was hilarious they would use that as a question.
technically, wouldn't 5 AND/OR 6 be a correct answer?

edit: misspelled "correct" lol

OneLetter

ultron87 said:
It's so simple, yet so explicit.

I was specifically referring to the alternate version of it where she
has a devil baby with horns and stuff.

6 is still my favorite though.

There's an even better one where
(I forgot the exact episode, but it had to do with an orphan) If you get the wrong answer of the day, the prize is your very own orphan in portrait form. When Question 10 comes around, instead of an "n" or a devil baby, the same picture you won earlier pops out and says "Hey. How are ya?" We were laughing so hard we all missed question 10.

It was amazing.

Speaking of amazing, for the intro animation for question 4, have any of you seen where
the first number 4 gets shot, and they all scream and run away? Hilarious.

So glad this series is back. Already bought DLC 1 and eagerly waiting for any more coming.

see5harp

OneLetter said:
There's an even better one where
(I forgot the exact episode, but it had to do with an orphan) If you get the wrong answer of the day, the prize is your very own orphan in portrait form. When Question 10 comes around, instead of an "n" or a devil baby, the same picture you won earlier pops out and says "Hey. How are ya?" We were laughing so hard we all missed question 10.

It was amazing.

Speaking of amazing, for the intro animation for question 4, have any of you seen where
the first number 4 gets shot, and they all scream and run away? Hilarious.

So glad this series is back. Already bought DLC 1 and eagerly waiting for any more coming.

What the hell man. I've sent you messages and invites and you didn't accept :(. Play me man.

OneLetter

see5harp said:
What the hell man. I've sent you messages and invites and you didn't accept :(. Play me man.

Whenever you send an invite/sign on, I'm already in a group of 4. I won't be playing tonight, but I'm sure I'll be on at some point over the weekend. I'll invite you to the next one if I see you on. :)

see5harp

OneLetter said:
Whenever you send an invite/sign on, I'm already in a group of 4. I won't be playing tonight, but I'm sure I'll be on at some point over the weekend. I'll invite you to the next one if I see you on. :)

Well the second I see a question regarding classic french art you are FUCKED mayne.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wheeeeee I finally started this and got through the first episode with only 1 answer right and it was a guess at that!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
played this again with some friends tonight . . . the questions are great. the scoring is still driving me nuts though. it's very frustrating that the game always comes down to the jack attack. might as well call it jack attack. i actually liked the new answering system where everyone gets a shot. but it just provides way too little disparity between people. i feel like maybe this could be addressed by reducing the point value not just based on time but also on position. so for example if you answered second you'd get $500 less than first no matter what. they could accomplish this by just taking a chunk off once someone answers. maybe put the chunk back if they got it wrong. just something to make there be more discrepancy between people earlier on.

which brings me of course to the jack attack. given the new system the way jack attack is set up is absurd almost to the level of being a troll. where i'm expecting some joke in the game about how none of this matters anyway b/c all that really counts is jack attack. so given that the entire game everyone gets a chance to get points it's really odd to give $4k straightaway to someone just for buzzing fastest on what is 90% of the time a ridiculously easy answer that everyone knew. just $4k itself is actually a really big difference in the main game. after 10 rounds imo that would be the difference between and good and mediocre to bad performance. and yet buzz in fast enough that abe lincoln was "honest" abe and it's all completely wiped out and then some. i think one way to handle the attack in a way that works much better with the current system and economy is to give everyone the opportunity to buzz in again. fastest gets $4k, second $3k, third $2k, fourth $1k. fastest wrong buzz gets -$4k and so on. and you don't reveal the results until the selection has passed. just something like that where you don't totally break the game and it goes from ydkj which has some good and often hard questions (less so than the ride imo but still solid) to just who can answer stupid questions the fastest.

also i've done about 10 episodes so far and there seem to be far fewer (any?) joke jack attack answers. i remember back in the ride a lot of the answers would crack us up and occasionally make us screw up the right answer because we were still laughing about one of the joke answers

just my 2c

Minsc

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
played this again with some friends tonight . . . the questions are great. the scoring is still driving me nuts though. it's very frustrating that the game always comes down to the jack attack. might as well call it jack attack. i actually liked the new answering system where everyone gets a shot. but it just provides way too little disparity between people. i feel like maybe this could be addressed by reducing the point value not just based on time but also on position. so for example if you answered second you'd get $500 less than first no matter what. they could accomplish this by just taking a chunk off once someone answers. maybe put the chunk back if they got it wrong. just something to make there be more discrepancy between people earlier on.

which brings me of course to the jack attack. given the new system the way jack attack is set up is absurd almost to the level of being a troll. where i'm expecting some joke in the game about how none of this matters anyway b/c all that really counts is jack attack. so given that the entire game everyone gets a chance to get points it's really odd to give $4k straightaway to someone just for buzzing fastest on what is 90% of the time a ridiculously easy answer that everyone knew. just $4k itself is actually a really big difference in the main game. after 10 rounds imo that would be the difference between and good and mediocre to bad performance. and yet buzz in fast enough that abe lincoln was "honest" abe and it's all completely wiped out and then some. i think one way to handle the attack in a way that works much better with the current system and economy is to give everyone the opportunity to buzz in again. fastest gets $4k, second $3k, third $2k, fourth $1k. fastest wrong buzz gets -$4k and so on. and you don't reveal the results until the selection has passed. just something like that where you don't totally break the game and it goes from ydkj which has some good and often hard questions (less so than the ride imo but still solid) to just who can answer stupid questions the fastest.

also i've done about 10 episodes so far and there seem to be far fewer (any?) joke jack attack answers. i remember back in the ride a lot of the answers would crack us up and occasionally make us screw up the right answer because we were still laughing about one of the joke answers

just my 2c

Maybe the PC version will be modded somehow I doubt it though. I bet they did that so no one gets left out, basically rubber-banding like you'd see in a mario kart game (fall to last place and the game hands you items to get back to 1st).

I'm surprisingly ok with having not played this game yet. For a franchise I enjoyed so much, well I still feel they fumbled this re-launch enough for me to not support them yet.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AstroLad said:

You're nuts on this one. I'd say a full 25% of the JA answers are joke answers of some sort or another.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stumpokapow said:
You're nuts on this one. I'd say a full 25% of the JA answers are joke answers of some sort or another.
what i mean specifically is jokes relating particularly to the word that's up in some clever way, not just obviously bad answers (actually sort of the opposite). but maybe this is the case and i just missed them because i was so keenly focused on buzzing i wouldn't put it past me

lawblob said:
Wow, this is only $30 on Amazon. Is one console version better than the other?
that's the price everywhere actually. it's a great deal imo.

xbox has big button support, ps3 doesn't support buzz controllers. only difference i know of.

Top Bottom