• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

Mockingbird said:
This Black Manta design looks more like Devil Ray from the JLU series.

Devil Ray was pretty much already Black Manta in everything but name. They couldn't use Black Manta at the time due to Aquaman rights.

SykoTech

Megan is still the most awkward character ever, but I'm kinda warming up to her catchphrase. Maybe it just worked really well here.

Great episode all around. The Atlantis mythology is usually the most disinteresting aspect of DC to me, but I love it here. Especially Aqualad himself. Hopefully the next episode involves the whole team though. Those are usually the best.

Thanks to this thread, i know about this amazing series. Thanks.
This series is surprisingly good. I want to see more character development in the upcoming episodes.
I really like that Batman played Basketball with Robin.

Asbel

Really liked the water magic the royal family seems to have.

Why was SB staring at a blank TV?

Didn't like how Aqualad didn't just shock Clayface like Bats did but I guess his head was out of the game.

Didn't like Robin being all angsty.

Aqualad did well, was a good episode.

Just got into this show. Man it is one of the best animated superhero series I've seen within recent times. The hello Meagan thing is a bit annoying though

Bit-Bit

CaptYamato said:
Has anyone ever just sat down and realized how over powered DC heroes are?

To be fair, the villains are just as powerful. Suit up Lex can pretty much take out the whole Justice League.

Bit-Bit said:
To be fair, the villains are just as powerful. Suit up Lex can pretty much take out the whole Justice League.

Pretty much.

If Marvel VS DC actually happened I don't see how Marvel would win. Shit, Supes can just chill in Space and sniper dudes with his heat ray.

I really like Aqualad in this series. In the comics I don't really care about him or Aquaman. After this episode he is probably tied with my favorite Wally.

Asbel

Bit-Bit said:
how does lex take a punch from supes without a helmet?

Dick made that wall his bitch. The basketball scene is where I figure that the writers understand Bat and Robin a lot more than most writers.

Jayge

Asbel said:
Really liked the water magic the royal family seems to have.

Didn't like how Aqualad didn't just shock Clayface like Bats did but I guess his head was out of the game.

Didn't like Robin being all angsty.

Aqualad did well, was a good episode.
The sorcery doesn't seem restricted to the royal family, unless you mean the Queen, who was a complete bad-ass.

I have no answer for SB's weirdness. Maybe he likes white noise. Maybe he was receiving super-secret snowy communications from "The Light." Maybe the writers are batshit crazy.

Robin is a 13-year-old who has a near-parental relationship with Batman. He also expects to be leader of the team one day if Aqualad steps down. The dismissal went two-fold for him because of that. It's easy to see why he would be annoyed.

or maybe Connor is just thinking how he could be spending time with his deadbeat dad like Dick is spending time with Bruce. in fact, if he saw the two playing ball together, he might go emo on us

I don't know ... I think AL handled all this shit a lil to well. I think he is just holding back how he feels and something (Likely Black Manta) is gonna be the last strew.

I mean, damn. Its only been 2 months and his girl and BFF are smanging. Its not hard to make your decision when the one guy who is supposed to be your Bro is literally fucking the only reason you wanted to stay under the sea.

I think he is handling it well on the outside but he still hasn't dealt with it. (kind of like how someone can have a death in the family or some other horrible thing happen and they go full on work mode to keep themselves from thinking about it. They can out-put some great work but thy're still avoiding the pain) I also thing Black Manta is about to throw all that into motion and make him question a lot more about who he is. (He has to have wondered why he has webbed feet and hands yet no one else does.)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
CaptYamato said:
Pretty much.

If Marvel VS DC actually happened I don't see how Marvel would win. Shit, Supes can just chill in Space and sniper dudes with his heat ray.

I really like Aqualad in this series. In the comics I don't really care about him or Aquaman. After this episode he is probably tied with my favorite Wally.
Characters like the blue marvel and the sentry are capable for supes. And the nova corps for the green lantern corps. Its not as one sided as it used to be

Veelk

Banned
Black-Wind said:
I don't know ... I think AL handled all this shit a lil to well. I think he is just holding back how he feels and something (Likely Black Manta) is gonna be the last strew.

I mean, damn. Its only been 2 months and his girl and BFF are smanging. Its not hard to make your decision when the one guy who is supposed to be your Bro is literally fucking the only reason you wanted to stay under the sea.

I think he is handling it well on the outside but he still hasn't dealt with it. (kind of like how someone can have a death in the family or some other horrible thing happen and they go full on work mode to keep themselves from thinking about it. They can out-put some great work but thy're still avoiding the pain) I also thing Black Manta is about to throw all that into motion and make him question a lot more about who he is. (He has to have wondered why he has webbed feet and hands yet no one else does.)

There's also a strong theme of family going on throughout the episode. Artemis and her mom, Wally and his folks, Bruce and Dick. The only exception is SB and Megan, but they are still living under the same roof which makes them a sort of surrogate family. People who don't know about him being Black Manta's son are going to go back to this episode one day and see how the writers subtly hinted at his real issue and the truth behind his family.

Asbel

From The Dust said:
Supes aint trying to kill him so he holds back. in fact, in all of his fights he holds back.
that's what I thought but in crisis on two earths, ultraman has no reason to hold back against that worlds lex.

SykoTech said:
Megan is still the most awkward character ever, but I'm kinda warming up to her catchphrase. Maybe it just worked really well here.

Initially she would emphasize the catchphrase waaaaaaay too much(she paused a bit before saying it and said it louder that the rest of her lines).

In this ep she just said it normally. It blended into her dialogue so that, while it's still noticeable, it isn't annoying.

Asbel said:

Guess who has the lowest intelligence level of the cast. :p

explodet

From The Dust said:
or maybe Connor is just thinking how he could be spending time with his deadbeat dad like Dick is spending time with Bruce. in fact, if he saw the two playing ball together, he might go emo on us
Superdad has nothing on Batdad.
Batdad is best dad.

Slayven

From The Dust said:
I think Superman is handling it as well as can be expected.

Parallax said:
Characters like the blue marvel and the sentry are capable for supes. And the nova corps for the green lantern corps. Its not as one sided as it used to be

I would worry more and The Ray and Firestorm. FS has the power of a big bang.

Slayven said:
I think Superman is handling it as well as can be expected.

By the end Supes will turn it around. The last episode of the season will probably show him taking Superboy to the Fortress Of Solitude. The real question is how will his powers improve over the rest of the season. Isn't he more powerful now in the comics?

Ephemeris

Another great episode. Loved the character design of Black Manta, plus the segments between the Bat and speedster families.

yencid said:
tumblr_lhk8e8FC0X1qcmnnho1_500.png

gotta love tumblr
:lol

Slayven

CaptYamato said:
I would worry more and The Ray and Firestorm. FS has the power of a big bang.
Ironman would solo the Ray and between Pymtech, Bannertech, and Richardstech they would have something for Firestorm. If Sersi was for some reason unavailable.

Slayven said:
Ironman would solo the Ray and between Pymtech, Bannertech, and Richardstech they would have something for Firestorm. If Sersi was for some reason unavailable.

If you go by what was said in Brightest Day, Firestorm can just blow up the entire universe and still live.

Jangaroo said:
Wait really? Was it during the bit between her and Superboy because I had to go away for a split second so maybe I missed something. When I sat back down Superboy was covered in eggs or something.
During Artemis' scene, the television was cut off after it said "Hello M-."

Jayge

Black-Wind said:

Eh... I was pretty sure Garth had webbed appendages, although I'm probably mistaken.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
CaptYamato said:
If you go by what was said in Brightest Day, Firestorm can just blow up the entire universe and still live.
With all the reality warpers, hell end up blowing up all the pocket dimensions he wants until he expires. He can be handled too. Or let elixir get close enough to separate the two :lol

Jayge said:
Eh... I was pretty sure Garth had webbed appendages, although I'm probably mistaken.
Nope, in every shot I can see he doesn't. Not until he puts on the enemy suit but those webs look see-through so I'm guessing they're built into the suit.

Tizoc

EDIT: BTW in case anyone didn't notice, Artemis' full name is shown in the letter that was sent to her; apparently it's Artemis Crock-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_Crock#Artemis_Crock

CaptYamato said:
So who are the light?

Penguin said:
I feel like it will be revealed to be a LEgion of Doom-esque group that ends up controlling key members of the Justice League and YJ have to stop em for the season finale.
The way I see it, The Light might be based of what the Legion of Doom did in the Justice mini-series from a few years back-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_(DC_Comics)

So far I've speculated that teh following are members of The Light-
Lex Luthor (seriously guys how can he NOT be, and let's not forget his connection to Superboy in the comics)
The Brain (Sportsmaster was talking with a member of the Light who spoke with a french accent, that's bound to be him)
Ocean Master, I'm just guessing this since one of the silhouttes at the end of Ep. 8 has the person wear what might look like OM's headwear.

Urban Scholar said:
To perpetuate that weird teenager phase aspect of the show?
Or maybe he doesn't know how to use a TV?

X-Frame said:
Mira kicking ass was an awesome part of the episode too. Wonder what Aquaman would've done if he were there ..
He probably would've called in sea life to fuck up their shit-
braveboldV2_32pg15.gif

It worked against Cthulhu, so a bunch of random mooks in high tech gear shouldn't be a problem.

Ookami-kun said:
I like the episode, but I too couldn't agree on Clayface owning the whole team.
Wait that wasn't a simulation? I actually thought it was, lol

...but yeah this ep. was all about THE GODDAMN BLACK MANTA. Though what I find weird is
him HAVING to get the starfish/Starro and no one else. I mean it's not like he was going to keep it, since it'd be in service of The Light

I'm thinking Black Manta's tantrum was a front; he failed to acquire his target underwater, now it's forced to be stored on land, where it can be more easily nabbed.

Top Bottom