• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your best gaming bargain finds?

Dyne

A lot. Some examples?

Sonic Adventure (Limited Edition) $6.99 CAD
Jet Grind Radio $1.50 USD
Countless Mario/Duck Hunt carts: Free
Vagrant Story: $10 CAD
Chrono Trigger $10 CAD (Flea Market)
Turtles in Time: $8.99 CAD
Final Fantasy Tactics (Original) Free. :D

I know there's more, but I can't remember them.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I got my Xenon pinball machine for $75, it goes for like $900 on eBay.

As far as console games, this video store was going out of business, and I nabbed Yoshi's Island, Mega Man X2, Mega Man X3, Mega Man 7, Harvest Moon (!!!), and Uniracers for $2 each. I gave the Mega Man games to a worthless cunt of a friend for Xmas because I'm too nice. $200 profit would've been a swell deal. :(

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Asteroids arcade - $100
Solomon's Key PCB - $30 (this sells for hundreds, easily)"

you're winner!
by a long way!
the jealousy burns!

DCharlie said:
"Asteroids arcade - $100
Solomon's Key PCB - $30 (this sells for hundreds, easily)"

you're winner!
by a long way!
the jealousy burns!

A Solomon's Key fan, eh?? Did you hear about the new Tecmo "Hit Parade" compilation for PS2? It looks awesome. The list of games is:

Star Force
Bombjack
Solomon's Key
Tecmo Cup
Pinball Action
Pleiads
Senjyo

All arcade versions, which is pretty awesome considering a true home conversion of Solomon's Key hasn't come out before now. Looks like it has a pretty sweet interface as well. You can check it out here: http://www.tecmo.co.jp/product/thp/index.htm

^ How in gods name did you score arcade cabinets so cheap? Spill the details!

Lots and lots of classified ad searching, mostly. You'd be surprised how many seemingly average people out there have arcade games stowed away in their garages, given to them by a friend or left there by an old roommate 15 years earlier, who want nothing more than for someone to haul off that "hunk of junk." You just have to be ridiculously persistent in your pursuit of games. Half of those games were picked up at garage sales that were in the classifieds with simply "Arcade Game" in their listed contents. No name, no price. You just have to wake up at 7 AM and run over to the sale and see what you get. You might show up at the crack of dawn to find a $1000 Double Dragon hacked into a Super Pac cab. Many, many times I've been burned.

Many other times I've barely missed impossibly good deals to other, quicker, collectors. One time I famously missed a Space Duel (color vector, hugely collectable and expensive) cocktail for $50. Another time I missed a $100 Ms Pac that had been purchased directly and HOME OWNED for 20 years. It was still there, with a SOLD sign hanging on it, and I swear it looked like it had been taken out of the shipping crate that morning. It was fabulous. I wept.

Obviously it pays off if you keep it up long enough, though. Also, I should note that Lambtron, with his completely insane Xenon find, started collecting arcade and pinball games by asking me to spill the details. I believe he ended up paying something like $100 for a really nice Centipede as well. So if you're interested in getting into it, jump right in - odds are you'll be posting some rad find of your own on here before too long. :D

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
i've never really had an OMG WTF score, although coming across jumping flash 2 at gamestop for $2.99 and a big boxed jumping flash 1 at a nearby game exchange for $10 was great

although, it seems my best deal might be coming up. probably picking up a drum mania controller, two guitar freaks guitars and copies of guitar freaks/drummania 3 & 4 for only $100. wowzer bowzer!

aoi tsuki

Outside of the "official" sales, i got

Wario Ware GBA - $7.48 @ Target (told a friend and he got the other copy)
Christmas NiGHTS - $.99 @ Blockbuster years ago (bought all they had - 12 copies)

i also got F1 Sprint and another game i can't remember for the MSX at a place that sold games and baseball cards. The guy behind the counter obviously had no idea what they were, so i told him "Yeah, i just buy stuff like this because it looks like some cool Atari stuff. i don't even know what it is." Both cost a buck. Don't have the MSX to test them on though.

demi

actually i do have a pretty good gaming bargain find:

i bought suikoden II at my rental place for $5 (no instructions). i hear it goes for $100+ on ebay, perhaps i should sell it?

nnthomas said:
i bought suikoden II at my rental place for $5 (no instructions). i hear it goes for $100+ on ebay, perhaps i should sell it?

When I ran the GIA, Konami would support us with previewable and reviewable silvers, but the ONLY retail game they sent me in three years of the site was Suikoden II. Which, if you had to pick one game from Konami's PSX library to receive a retail copy of, would be the one. I sold it last year on eBay for $120 or so.

JackFrost2012 said:
When I ran the GIA, Konami would support us with previewable and reviewable silvers, but the ONLY retail game they sent me in three years of the site was Suikoden II. Which, if you had to pick one game from Konami's PSX library to receive a retail copy of, would be the one. I sold it last year on eBay for $120 or so.

Wish I could say the same for the copy of Rhapsody that Atlus sent me. I was thinking of trying to sell it anyway, as a "rare promo" or something. :(

bobbyconover said:
Wish I could say the same for the copy of Rhapsody that Atlus sent me. I was thinking of trying to sell it anyway, as a "rare promo" or something. :(

Hey, Nippon Ichi is the New Hotness, maybe you can trick some Disgaea fan.

Acosta

Syndicate, original (big) box sealed: 5$

Shemue 2 mint condition: 12$

Kid Icarus + Revenge of Sinobi + Gunstar Heroes: 10 $

Planescape: Torment: 5 $

Sacrifice, mint: free (a nice PR sent it to me when I told it was a game I was searching, seems they had some box full of it :(, not good because it was a nice game.

BobbyRobby said:
Well there is a sealed Rhapsody going for $142 on ebay right now with 20 hours left. I'd say there's a market for it.

Yeah, that was the whole point. It's a game that sells for a ton, but I was sent a non-retail "burn" of the game, which is probably nowhere near as sought-after. If at all.

Drexon

Banned
Got a _mint_ Chrono Trigger SFC Jap for $18 the other month, been hankering for one for a year and now they dropped in price. =)

User 406

Banned
Since Take Out Bandit is banned, I'll have to relate his once-in-a-lifetime bargain find.

This was around when the Saturn was dying off at retail, and Toys R Us had no more of the systems left, but they still had the packs of three games that were supposed to be bundled with the systems. Since these game packs weren't in the system box, but were considered a bundle, they had their own item tags which rang up for a penny. Now normally these would never be sold without the systems, but since the systems were all gone, they were getting rid of them anyway.

So we went to the TRU and TToB asked an employee at the customer service kiosk if she could scan and verify the price for him, so she took the tag and scanned it for him. When she saw the one cent price come up, she just stood there flabbergasted for a moment. Then she said something about how crazy it was that he should even have to pay for it, dug into her pocket and handed TToB a nickel. So he took the nickel and the tag up to the register and paid for it, getting four cents change.

When he went to the software booth with the receipt to pick up the game pack, they also handed him the netlink game pack, which had the netlink version of Virtual On and some crappy Sega arcade racer. ;D Apparently this was also part of the system bundles, so they just tacked it on with the three game pack.

When we exited the store, we had to sit down on the sidewalk and laugh ourselves sick. He got paid four cents to take five Sega games. It was the most preposterous bargain ever.

Ristamar

Metal Arms - Free after $10 mail-in rebate and some instant '$10 off next purchase' junk mail promo on ebgames.com

UT2004 DVD Special Edition - $20 after pre-order w/ mail-n rebate

Aquired new and massively discounted through EA's web blunders in January 2002:
Knockout Kings 2003 - $15
Tiger Woods 2003 - $20

Again, aquired new and massively discounted through EA's web blunders around just before Thanksgiving in 2003:
NFS:U - $7
NBA Live 2004 - $12
NHL 2004 - $15

EB Games Black Friday Sale:
Max Payne 2 (PC) - $20
GTA: Vice City (PC) - $10

And of course, the 16 games snagged during the $5 CC deal. I used 9 of the more craptastic titles as $10-per-title trade-ins at EB to get Madden 2005 and Spiderman 2 very cheap.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Bangai-O at Game in the UK for £1 a pop. bought ten. And now I have ten coppies of Bangai-O. I never really understood my ex-girlfriend complaining about me filling our house with game shit. Perhaps she had a point.

"Why did you have to buy ten?"

"Because they were only a quid each!"

"But what are you going to do with them?"

"Keep them."

"What for?"

"Um..."

No wonder she dumped me.

Top Bottom