• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Chuckie

I had never heard of this game before reading this thread. Now somehow I want to go buy it. Isn't there a demo available on PSN?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tence said:
I had never heard of this game before reading this thread. Now somehow I want to go buy it. Isn't there a demo available on PSN?

No demo on US PSN but that's to be expected, I wouldn't mind trying it though.

sarcoa said:
I'm nearly positive gaf exists in a sort of alternate dimension. On the blogs and other boards Nier's getting eaten alive, both by people who have played it as well as the inevitable dipshits who pile on "lol thx for saving me $60" comments. It's outright dismissal is insane.

15 hours in and loving it btw.

Not all reviews. Not mine :D

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't get the whining (in reviews like Kevin VanOrd's Gamespot one) about the fetch-quests, they are just optional diversions not the "meat" of the game or its story. I mean I could get behind the criticism if they were all that the game has to offer, but they aren't and Weiss's humorous tut-tutting ensures you're made aware that there's always something more important to do.

Personally I just grabbed a bunch of quests whenever I was in town and then let the collect-em-up process happen naturally as I went about my business. Simple and painless.

People wanted the game to be bad. They see what they want to see.

A classic jRPG comes : OMG it's so classic no more teenager plzzz !!!!
Something new comes : OMG ugly caveman, herma, freedomz and... ... hum. It's ugly !

Sad but true...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Oyashiro said:
How the hell are you guys beating the game in 14-15 hrs? :lol I'm 11 hrs in and I'm barely at the temple/dungeon place you go to right after Facade. Granted, I'd say about 3 or 4 of those hours are idle time, but still.

I'm doing all the quests and I'm 30 hours in. At 62% of quests (though I have two that are incompletable). I still only have 34% of words though, so I'm thinking some only get unlocked after you've gone through the game once. I'm probably 2/3rds of the way through (my party now contains a
transformed Emil and reanimated Kaine
).

My biggest complaint with the game is the overuse of bloom. I actually looked for a brightness setting in options to try to make it less blinding, but I guess Cavia wanted to blind us. :lol

I'm really enjoying all the
perspective changes throughout the game. It's almost like a mini-tour of game design. You got your sidescrolling, isometric, top down view, text adventure. I'm looking forward to each new dungeon just to see how the perspective will change

glaurung

Does it make sense to turn the game to HARD from the get-go?

I managed to get killed by the shades in the tutorial because they managed to surround me and then I could no longer get up.

Is there a new game plus mode that I can utilize to get the hard difficulty ending trophy - provided there is one?

Kyoufu

glaurung said:

I managed to get killed by the shades in the tutorial because they managed to surround me and then I could no longer get up.

Is there a new game plus mode that I can utilize to get the hard difficulty ending trophy - provided there is one?

Yeah its probably wiser to play on hard on your new game+ playthrough.

You can just roll away if you get knocked down btw. Theres also words that give you knockback resistance which you'll no doubt have access to on your 2nd playthrough.

Volcynika

glaurung said:

I don't think there's any trophy for completing any specific difficulty. And I heard enemies apparently have considerably more HP. So I just put it on normal.

Hard mode can be pretty tough. Some of the bosses take a long time to kill. Also, they're harder the second time round and take even longer :lol Other than that, it's manageable. I struggled mainly at the beginning when I didn't have magic.

Volcynika

Baloonatic said:
Hard mode can be pretty tough. Some of the bosses take a long time to kill. Also, they're harder the second time round and take even longer :lol Other than that, it's manageable. I struggled mainly at the beginning when I didn't have magic.

Yeah, my friend is like, "man the first boss took like an hour, how long it'd take you?" "About 10-15 minutes max" (I forgot how long) "What" "Yeah" "Oh, I'm on hard." "Have fun with that!"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How many word-edits are there? I got 50. Trying to get the trophy.

Jinaar

Played a little bit last night and it was great to see my garden finally harvest able. Lots to harvest. Starting on the quest to get my weapons upgradeable as well. The game is very calming and rewarding so far.

Spruchy

After watching the Gamespot review I bought it off Kmart.com. While the reviewer was completely bashing the game the video footage totally turned me on to it (and all the praise from GAF).

HiResDes

Cep said:
Shit, is he allowed to do that?

I do not put much stock in reviews, so I really do not care what he says, but those two things are like the kiss of death when it comes to me and games.
I was just hoping for the combat to fun, if not incredibly deep, especially since it seems to be such a enormous component of the game.

Oh I figured out the "Level" words last night. If you combine the word set that starts with an H, that grants... "Level 8" let's say, with a word that grants a status effect, like "Paralyze lv1," it increases it to level 8. So you can make status effect swords :-D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
pancakesandsex said:
Oh I figured out the "Level" words last night. If you combine the word set that starts with an H, that grants... "Level 8" let's say, with a word that grants a status effect, like "Paralyze lv1," it increases it to level 8. So you can make status effect swords :-D

So the Level words boost the level of other effect words? That's pretty cool. I'll keep it in mind.

thefil

You guys make me want to play every game.

Maybe when this goes on sale and I retreat to the life of a hermit I'll be able to play it. :lol

desverger

I caved in and ordered this! 45 eurobucks with delivery.

Now just waiting it for to arrive, might have to finish Resonance of Fate first though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I find it hilarious that such a minor part of the game (fishing) has become the most important aspect for that dumb Joystiq thread.

Jinaar

schennmu said:
Nier Gestalt|Replicant: The Official Thread of epic fishing

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant: The Official 'X Marks the Spot' Thread of Epic Boar Drift Fishing"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got Ending A, time to get the other endings.

Jinaar

How do the endings work?

Is it incremental in the sense that Playthru 1 is Ending A, and Playthru 2 is Ending B, etc etc?

Or is it based on actions in the game that will change the Ending you will receive in the end?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
jinaar said:
"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant: The Official 'X Marks the Spot' Thread of Epic Boar Drift Fishing"

First DLC had better be Northern Ridge Racer.

I swear at least 2 of my hours played were doing the porcine equivalent of handbrake turns around the railway bridge supports.

Durante

The second post really needs a link to the New York Times review of the game, it's well-written and informative.

desverger said:
I caved in and ordered this! 45 eurobucks with delivery.
I got mine from the hut for 38. I hope it gets here before the weekend.

Sacha

Jinaar said:
How do the endings work?

Is it incremental in the sense that Playthru 1 is Ending A, and Playthru 2 is Ending B, etc etc?

Or is it based on actions in the game that will change the Ending you will receive in the end?

Playthrough 1 -> Ending A, Playthrough 2 -> Ending B
Playthrough 3 ->
At the end of the game, you get to choose between Ending C and D. As Ending D deletes your save, it is recommended to do a save at the last save point and to backup it on an USB key. Then, finish the game, choose Ending C. Load your save, choose Ending D, accept to delete your save. If you want to play more, transfer back your save on your console.

Jinaar

Sacha said:
Playthrough 3 ->
At the end of the game, you get to choose between Ending C and D. As Ending D deletes your save, it is recommended to do a save at the last save point and to backup it on an USB key. Then, finish the game, choose Ending C. Load your save, choose Ending D, accept to delete your save. If you want to play more, transfer back your save on your console.

Thank you, Sacha! I won't look at the Spoiler tag obviously, but it is good to know how it works out. Cheers! (While quoting your post, it shows the text in the preview pane, must divert eyes away!! Phew!)

ULTROS!

Sacha said:
Playthrough 3 ->

Will (non story spoilers though)
having multiple saves work or will it delete all the Nier files?

Majmun

Good god, this game is so good. This is probably the first game I love that has bad reviews. :lol

The dungeon diversity is very refreshing. The first dungeon is pretty boring, but the ones after that are really great.

thetrin

I just finished the second visit to Aerie, and I'm loving the game.

Sacha

ULTROS! said:
Will (non story spoilers though)
having multiple saves work or will it delete all the Nier files?

It deletes all your game save files, external backup is the only way to be safe ! Only your system save file will still be there after ending D : there will be a little something on the title screen to attest that you went through ending D. :)

Majmun

thetrin said:
I just finished the second visit to Aerie, and I'm loving the game.

The music in that place always give me the chills. :lol
That place is so eerie. And the people who live there aren't really nice. :p

thetrin

Second said:
The music in that place always give me the chills. :lol
That place is so eerie. And the people who live there aren't really nice. :p

The game is not technically beautiful for the most part, but the waving flags hanging off the bridges and the expanse of Aerie really do make it one of the most beautiful sections in the game so far.

ULTROS!

Facade was awesome though.

Is anyone going for 1000g/Platinum? I'm still fighting with myself if I should do it.
I guess I will go for the last two endings first and maybe do the grinding at some point later on. I already put around 50 hours into it, so I might as well continue xD

Durante said:
The second post really needs a link to the New York Times review of the game, it's well-written and informative.

Wow, I just read through that review and it lays out some pretty amazing praise. Part of me wants to write it off as a guy at the new york times desperately trying to get anyone above him on the corporate ladder to give a shit about video games by linking it to current events but you can tell he really enjoys Nier.

I'll admit it, I just googled to see where the closest kmart is, only 5 or so minutes away....

Sacha

schennmu said:
Is anyone going for 1000g/Platinum? I'm still fighting with myself if I should do it.
I guess I will go for the last two endings first and maybe do the grinding at some point later on. I already put around 50 hours into it, so I might as well continue xD

I did the four endings and I'm currently doing all the side quests (I'm at 81%). Then I'll go for Platinum !

matmanx1

Just did the sequence where
Nier and Kaine' fight the huge shade in the village and Yonah gets kidnapped
and I loved it. I actually felt sympathy for
Kaine' and the group with the decision to let her be turned to stone to seal away the shade.

And then of course the story
fast forwards 5 years and Nier has gotten even uglier and more brutal looking and is wielding a giant 2 handed sword. Huzzah!

Very much looking forward to seeing how this one plays out. I'm about 16 hours with about 38% quest completion so far and the game continues to surprise and delight me.

Sacha said:
I did the four endings and I'm currently doing all the side quests (I'm at 81%). Then I'll go for Platinum !

Good luck to us then... Some of the materials are so rare... I will run out of Southpark episodes to watch soon!

Jinaar

All this talk of side quests and multiple endings, do completed quests/equipment/items all carry over to each play thru?

*Should find a proper source for all these questions, unfortunately work has blocked most site access*

Cep

Banned
Jinaar said:

Mods do it! Do it now!

ULTROS! said:
I got Ending A, time to get the other endings.

Speaking of multiple endings, how long are each? Is it possible to speed through?

Do you have to do specific things to get alternate endings?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Sacha said:

I thought the 4th ending deleted your save, or was that just internet BS?

I'm liking the game so far. It's not amazing or anything but it's a good distraction. Of course I'm very early in so it could get better.

Anyway, I'm about to go to the east gate and was wondering if I should buy better weapons or if there's any reason I should save my money.

Kyoufu

cosmicblizzard said:
I'm liking the game so far. It's not amazing or anything but it's a good distraction. Of course I'm very early in so it could get better.

Anyway, I'm about to go to the east gate and was wondering if I should buy better weapons or if there's any reason I should save my money.

It really doesn't matter what you do. I'd personally save money since you'll find weapons and then have the option of upgrading them once you reach a certain part in the story.

Then once you reach around half-way you'll have access to 2handed weapons.

Just beat the boar. That was a pain but kind of amusing.

I gotta say, I'm enjoying the game more than I thought I would. I still find it odd that people are comparing it to FFXIII. Not only do I think they shouldn't be compared but I also wouldn't put this game in the same bracket of quality as FFXIII. But hey, to each his own.

Also, Weiss is awesome. I was expecting
a douchebag evil book
before getting the game, not a
snide but kind British book.

Ridley327

luxarific said:
I thought the 4th ending deleted your save, or was that just internet BS?

Oh, it's quite true. You can copy your saves onto a USB device, though, so you can safely avoid the inevitable.

Top Bottom