• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Valcryst

Neo Member
I'm officially addicted to this game. Badly.

37 hours and I'm still
in part 2, I've almost finished the Junk Heap Revisited (waiting for Joshua mail).
My Nier is lv. 25 (a bit overpowered, never died) with only 35% words collected, almost 60% quests done (every single one from part 1) and tons of weapons upgraded to level 2-3.

Although graphics are not the best I've never suffered them, the games relies on something else; I finally had that "old gen rpg feeling" you know, when you travel the world, talk to people in towns, do side quests, fight tons of enemies in the best areas to level up...
I really like the game design, especially characters and Bosses, and speaking of those
the battle that ends part one, that takes place in your village, was in a word EPIC.
I LOVE when in a game there's an event that completely changes everything, from the character to the very same environment (the animals are gone, the sky il mostly clouded, a lot of people died...)
!

A question about endings and new game +;
I heard there are 4 different endings, A B C and D, and seeing the last one erases ALL your game saves, is that true? I'd like to get all the trophies for that, including the 15 hour speed run, is it better to do it before watching thaht ending or after? I mean, if I finish the game with the A ending, I can start it from the beginning with my level, weapons and words, and do the speed run and watch ending B for example
?
Thanks in advance!

Sacha

Valcryst said:
A question about endings and new game +;
I heard there are 4 different endings, A B C and D, and seeing the last one erases ALL your game saves, is that true? I'd like to get all the trophies for that, including the 15 hour speed run, is it better to do it before watching thaht ending or after? I mean, if I finish the game with the A ending, I can start it from the beginning with my level, weapons and words, and do the speed run and watch ending B for example
?
Thanks in advance!

Yes, the last ending
erases all your saves. You can only do the 15-hour trophy on your first playthrough, because the new game + doesn't start from the beginning, but from the second half of the game. So, I'd suggest getting all the other trophies while doing all the endings (D included), then start a whole new game to do the 15-hour speed run. It won't take much time on easy mode and by skipping all the cutscenes, you can easily do it in under 10 hours

Glad to see more people joining the party. This game really deserves more recognition

Valcryst

Neo Member
Sacha said:
Yes, the last ending
erases all your saves. You can only do the 15-hour trophy on your first playthrough, because the new game + doesn't start from the beginning, but from the second half of the game. So, I'd suggest getting all the other trophies while doing all the endings (D included), then start a whole new game to do the 15-hour speed run. It won't take much time on easy mode and by skipping all the cutscenes, you can easily do it in under 10 hours

Glad to see more people joining the party. This game really deserves more recognition

Tanks Sacha! I'll
do everything in this playthrough, complete the game multiple times to see all the endings and finally do the speed run
!
And then go for the DLC :D

Glad to see the game got the attention it deserves here on GAF, it's really worth it! Here in Italy I only heard of 4 or 5 people who actually enjoyed it :\

finished my first playthrough, what a ride! i blindly picked this game up without reading any reviews or impressions, i can't say i've made a mistake.

next up: farming materials in playthrough two.

Valcryst

Neo Member
oh, about farming, what are the best places to do that?
junk heap for machinery parts, but what about largest shades for complex/elaborate machines?
do the ones in the lost shrine respawn?
any other tactical location with a bunch of enemies for a quick level up?

Sacha

Valcryst said:
oh, about farming, what are the best places to do that?
junk heap for machinery parts, but what about largest shades for complex/elaborate machines?
do the ones in the lost shrine respawn?
any other tactical location with a bunch of enemies for a quick level up?

Yep, for the complex and elaborate machines, go to the Lost Shrine. To make the big Shades respawn, just exit/enter the Shrine. The DLC is also a good way to obtain rare materials like Eagle Eggs, Pyrites and stuff.

As for quick level up, I don't think there's anything better than the Lost Shrine or the DLC.

Durante

JonStark said:
You can find here my interview of Emi Evans, who sang for the gorgeous OST. (It's a french site but there's an english version at the bottom, after the youtube vid. Just scroll a bit.) Hope you'll like it ! ;)
I actually like it a lot. Thanks!

I found this part particularly interesting:
DA : You drew your inspiration from various actual languages to compose the lyrics. Did you worked from a linguistic or a musical point of view? Can you describe your work?

EE : I worked mostly linguistically and a little musically I guess. As I mentioned earlier, for each track, I was given instructions to write the lyrics in a particular pseudo language. For example with « Kaine » I was asked to write in new style Gaelic. I researched on the internet and listened to lots of Gaelic lesson videos and Gaelic songs. I listened over and over and even wrote down passages in the language, just to help me absorb its rhythms and flow as much as possible. Then it was just a matter of fitting similar sounds around the melodies. I tried to imitate each language as closely as possible, while at the same time choosing vowel and consonant sounds which I felt would be easiest and most appropriate to sing on each particular melody.

Edit:
You have a PST avatar, that corroborates your awesomeness.

Durante said:
I actually like it a lot. Thanks!

I found this part particularly interesting:

Edit:
You have a PST avatar, that corroborates your awesomeness.

Tanks a lot ;)

PS : Planescape is so awesome ! Avatar hi-five !

how hard is hard difficulty? normal was very disappointing. it hardly mattered what i did, the bosses died after a few swings.

i wonder how people can enjoy games on easy when they don't have to understand anything about the battle system.

this is weakest part about nier.

Valcryst

Neo Member
Sacha said:
Yep, for the complex and elaborate machines, go to the Lost Shrine. To make the big Shades respawn, just exit/enter the Shrine. The DLC is also a good way to obtain rare materials like Eagle Eggs, Pyrites and stuff.

As for quick level up, I don't think there's anything better than the Lost Shrine or the DLC.

Thanks again Sacha, last night I spent a couple of hours levelling up, the lost shrine is actually very useful!
5-6 minutes to do
the whole "tower" part (up to the big shade)
once and gain about 13k Exp!
I tried the mansion basement as well and...holy crap! Entered with about 44k+ exp left to level up and I actually farmed enough exp arriving to the
Halua chamber
and going back!
Also got a lot of useful Words from the shades, now it's time for the Junk Heap!

41 hours, lv. 29 and still 50% of Words collection, 60% of quests, a lot of weapons to find and upgrade and the ultimate flower/1.000.000 achievements to do.

Got the ost too and...wow, best 2010 surprise for me!
Made me completely forgot about SSF4, 3D Dot Game Heroes, FFXIII and Blazblue.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
On Hard, unlike the lesser difficulties, enemies scale along with your character meaning that it starts out difficult and stays difficult even on repeat playthroughs.

Yoko Taro mentioned this in a Japanese interview so it definitely applies to Replicant and I guess Gestalt also.

So, uhh.... I've got a question. I (somehow) hadn't even heard of this game until yesterday. I've been reading some reviews and I have to say this game sounds right up my alley. I only have one question:

While I understand and see the pictures of the scantily-clad hemaphrodite, how played up is her sexuality in this game? My wife loves to watch me game, but I can't stand those awkward moments when there is something really sexy going on in the game and she just looks at me like I'm a complete freak. For example, I'm afraid to buy and play Heavy Rain because of the sex scene I've heard about. That would just be weird.

To clarify, my wife likes "weird" stuff. She loved watching me play through all 100 hours of Nocturne recently, and loves all the SMT games really. It's just sexual content in video games is kind of strange to her.

So........ is my wife going to give me dirty looks while I play this?

Ridley327

It's rarely ever an issue beyond her looks; I'd be more concerned if she has an issue with salty language. Bayonetta, she is not.

Ridley327 said:
It's rarely ever an issue beyond her looks; I'd be more concerned if she has an issue with salty language. Bayonetta, she is not.

no, the language isn't an issue. Sweet! I'm going to get it then :D

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
DigitalDevil said:

I think you're perfectly safe. The way Kaine dresses mainly serves as a focus for Weiss's disapproval and as result much humour in the game.

Dark as it gets, Nier isn't gratuitously trashy. Its got far more subtle and effective ways to get a reaction out of you than basic shock value.

Cavia like to play with our expectations, and they are 110% committed to the bit :D

Clear said:
On Hard, unlike the lesser difficulties, enemies scale along with your character meaning that it starts out difficult and stays difficult even on repeat playthroughs.

Yoko Taro mentioned this in a Japanese interview so it definitely applies to Replicant and I guess Gestalt also.

they should've made hard mode the only difficulty and reduce the farming bullshit for certain items. you have to farm stupid, hard to get items to upgrade some of your weapons. it's more fun to learn and play the game properly, instead they let you farm mindlessly.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Augemitbutter said:
they should've made hard mode the only difficulty and reduce the farming bullshit for certain items. you have to farm stupid, hard to get items to upgrade some of your weapons. it's more fun to learn and play the game properly, instead they let you farm mindlessly.

Well, on Hard drop-rates are apparently higher (same interview) and the DLC is ideal for not only acquiring rare items, but to genuinely test your combat skills in the game.

I disagree really strongly about the value of easy and normal modes too - the way you get so ridiculously overpowered in NG+ plays amazingly well within the fiction of the story. I can't really say more without spoiler-ga, but the way Nier gets to dispatch shades so effortlessly is kind of the point of the tale.

Not to mention that the "overlevelled" party is a JRPG staple... Goddamn I love how Cavia on one hand are so traditional in their game design choices, but so subversive with their writing. :D

DigitalDevil said:
So, uhh.... I've got a question. I (somehow) hadn't even heard of this game until yesterday. I've been reading some reviews and I have to say this game sounds right up my alley. I only have one question:

While I understand and see the pictures of the scantily-clad hemaphrodite, how played up is her sexuality in this game? My wife loves to watch me game, but I can't stand those awkward moments when there is something really sexy going on in the game and she just looks at me like I'm a complete freak. For example, I'm afraid to buy and play Heavy Rain because of the sex scene I've heard about. That would just be weird.

To clarify, my wife likes "weird" stuff. She loved watching me play through all 100 hours of Nocturne recently, and loves all the SMT games really. It's just sexual content in video games is kind of strange to her.

Wow... And does your wife know about your Patrick Bateman sex avatar?

Clear said:
Well, on Hard drop-rates are apparently higher (same interview) and the DLC is ideal for not only acquiring rare items, but to genuinely test your combat skills in the game.

I disagree really strongly about the value of easy and normal modes too - the way you get so ridiculously overpowered in NG+ plays amazingly well within the fiction of the story. I can't really say more without spoiler-ga, but the way Nier gets to dispatch shades so effortlessly is kind of the point of the tale.

Not to mention that the "overlevelled" party is a JRPG staple... Goddamn I love how Cavia on one hand are so traditional in their game design choices, but so subversive with their writing. :D

i didn't know about the increased drop rate in hard mode, there is no explanation in-game. i guess that won't work with the harvestable items? it's too late for me anyway, i'm a few items short of all the upgrades.

DLC didn't seem that interesting to me and i'm not going to spend extra money for increased drop rates. if that was their plan all along, then i call them malicious.

i usually disagree with every game giving you a god mode from the start (easy). normal was also not very challenging, which bored me sometimes. they tried to create some depth with the battle engine, but failed miserably in skill based gameplay.

Sorry if this was posted earlier in the thread, I looked for it but could not find it:

Are there any graphical differences between the PS3 and X360 USA versions? Any differences in load times? Other differences?

Thanks in advance.

Korey

I really want to like this game. But I keep running into things that bug the hell out of me.

For example, (3-4 hours in) the
Junk Heap:

You have to collect 3 titanium alloys. I only got 2 in my first run through of the area. There's an elevator I can't turn on, and 3 doors that are "broken", one that looks like has an area behind it on the map. I try everything I can to open the doors. I shoot the little icon above the door. I use my magic powers to try to crush it open. I bang my sword on the doors. Nothing works. Since I only have 2, I assume I can get the third in the same run through, but no...after being stuck for like 15 min, I check a FAQ and it says I have to leave and re-enter the dungeon so it'll respawn and I can get the last alloy.... ... ...errr....ok.......

Grabbed the last alloy, went back to the junk hq, they sent me back to the junk heap, only now they tell me I can use the elevators. I only found the one elevator last time, so I go into it, go to the second floor. Fight two monsters, and go into the next room. But the room is empty, and all the other rooms like that had monsters come out. But not this one. There's literally nothing on the second floor except two more broken doors. At this point I think I'm doing something wrong, mostly because I'm stuck. Why are there so many broken doors? They must lead somewhere, so I try banging them again with swords and magic. Check the FAQ again....I guess I missed the first elevator. There's two, and this one doesn't go anywhere useful. Why was I even given access to it? Sigh. I make my way back to the first elevator.

Shit like this makes me not want to continue with the game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
souvlakispacestation said:
Are there any graphical differences between the PS3 and X360 USA versions? Any differences in load times? Other differences?

Played through on PS3 and had a quick look at a friend's 360 version and visually there's very little separating the two from what I saw. My advice would be pick according to controller preference.

Couple of minor plus points for the PS3 version:

The PS3 version has an optional install to speed up load times, which is nice.

The 360 version has a custom selector for save files compared to a standard XMB-based solution on PS3 which although it looks nicer, seems to be a bit less clear when it comes to working out which endings you've gotten/are working towards.

Apparently the friend-list status messages on PSN are hilarious;

so after 25 hours (on purpose) i finally beat the game the first time last night.

is there an explanation in subsequent endings as to why
emil says "nier" as he's fading into popola's magic
at the end? maybe
he didn't actually say it out loud and i just imagined he did and the game just places whatever you actually named Nier in the beginning

also, whats the deal with
the answer to Yonah's question of "Who do I love most?" not being "Dad'? I put that in first since it seemed to be the OBVIOUS answer, but nope. Weird.

great fucking game though. loving the new content in the 2nd playthrough already.

PBalfredo

Rabbitwork said:
also, whats the deal with
the answer to Yonah's question of "Who do I love most?" not being "Dad'? I put that in first since it seemed to be the OBVIOUS answer, but nope. Weird.

Seriously.
I put that in first as well. So strange that it doesn't accept that at least in addition to Nier's name. Now that she's a teenager, Yonah's on a first name basic with her dad or something? Thank goodness it lets you try again. I would be pissed as hell if when I answered "Dad" the game goes "Bzzzzzt! Wrong! Now Yonah's soul is lost forever. You loose! Good day sir!"

luxarific

Nork unification denier
PBalfredo said:
Seriously.
I put that in first as well. So strange that it doesn't accept that at least in addition to Nier's name. Now that she's a teenager, Yonah's on a first name basic with her dad or something? Thank goodness it lets you try again. I would be pissed as hell if when I answered "Dad" the game goes "Bzzzzzt! Wrong! Now Yonah's soul is lost forever. You loose! Good day sir!"

My guess is because Replicant has Nier as her
brother, not her father. And in that situation, you wouldn't say "my brother", you'd just say his name.

Yoshiya

luxarific said:
brother, not her father. And in that situation, you wouldn't say "my brother", you'd just say his name.

Still, it's an odd omission. I entered
Dad
first as well. Hardly would have taken much effort to code that in, even with the differences between Replicant and Gestalt. Still, any annoyances in Ending A are more than made up for in the lead up to Ending B, but the endings complement each other very well.

Edit:
Oh, and I wondered about Nier being named in that cutscene with Emil as well. I just named him Nier, so I've got no idea if the cutscene changes per game or not. He did seem to mumble the name though, but that doesn't cover variable name length. AND, I swear I remember young Yonah appearing again after the credits of Ending A with Nier back in the village. How did her body revert five years, unless I've just gone mad

at the beginning you get prompted
to type in a name, so i figured at the end they want me to put in the same name, because that's the only time you get to type something via the keypad.

ending:
where are you guys confused with emil screaming out niers name? there is no VA in that part, because you get to choose the name of your hero.

Augemitbutter said:
at the beginning you get prompted
to type in a name, so i figured at the end they want me to put in the same name, because that's the only time you get to type something via the keypad.

ending:
where are you guys confused with emil screaming out niers name? there is no VA in that part, because you get to choose the name of your hero.
right, like i said maybe
i just imagined him saying it, or he makes some kind of generic mumble noise. i was kind of reeling from the fact he was about to die. poor kid.

also, this added content in the 2nd playthrough is
really bumming me the fuck out.

Tonza

Just finished the game for the first time.

Pretty awesome game all-in-all. I will probably play this through again and get the dlc after some time.

Is there anyway to check how to get the other different endings without spoiling them?

Yoshiya

Tonza said:
Just finished the game for the first time. Got ending B.

Er, what? This isn't possible. The
Nier calling back Yonah
ending is the only one possible the first time around.

Edit: Ending B requires you to complete the second playthrough, where you start again approximately half way through the game. Endings C and D are based off an endgame decision on a third playthrough, as long as you have collected every weapon.

Tonza

Yoshiya said:
Er, what? This isn't possible. The
Nier calling back Yonah
ending is the only one possible the first time around.

I don't know if I misread but I think it said B in the end but I didn't read it carefully. *shrug

Or does it say that I should play NG+ for B ending or what?

edit: oh, thanks for the info. so I didn't read it carefully enough. :D

Erigu

luxarific said:
Well, in Japanese, actually...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
@Rabbitwork (re: a certain character's final thoughts)

Yes there is a reason, but its incredibly (deliberately?) vague in the English translation, and only a little more clear in the original Japanese.

Unhide to have your mind messed with:

Emil is gay and has a crush on Nier. Kaine is more of a big sister figure to him.
Yep, Taro Yoko strikes again.

Valcryst

Neo Member
So, I finished the game and immediately started a NG+...never thought that the second playtrough could be better tha the first one in terms of story.
The Kainè story, her dialogues and Tyrann were a surprise, not to mention the additional scenes involving most of the bosses...damn, the P-33 and Kalil friendship made me sad, I don't want to fight them...Gretel and the Aerie too, they all seem to live happily with shades, they're making me feel as if I'm the bad guy now...

63+ hours, lv 42, just got the man of Means Trophy, upgraded only 15 waepons, 2 fishes and the legendary flower left...not to mention the speed run.
But I managed to found the 4 eagle eggs :D

The more I play this game, the more it's a surprise. I love it.

I just beat the game last night and got Ending A. Seriously, this is the best game I've played so far. So much emotion going around. Any tips for second playthrough for Ending B?

Valcryst

Neo Member
Shadow Red said:
Any tips for second playthrough for Ending B?

Just make sure you don't skip any of the dialogues or the cut scenes, there are lots of...let's just say add-ons in the second playthrough, and if you think there's so much emotion going around, well, you'll be surprised.
Also, if you're looking for Trophies it's a good chance to farm items, power up weapons or go fishing/farming!

Last night I completed
the key to Shadowlord castle again...the fight with Roc was sooo sad, I almost shed a tear and I felt really sorry for the wolves :°(
Oh, and when i arrived at the desert (with the boat) i said "Hey, let's try to catch a fish!". Bam, I caught a Rhizodon > Legendary Fish trophy :D one more left.

Now before watching Ending B it's Raw Material time!
Any good spot for Forlon Necklaces, Subdued Bracelet and Metal Piercing?

Alex

I picked it up recently, has been really good so far, sort of a modern, better take on the Brave Fencer kind of gig (but also completely not). Sure is even more unpolished than I expected though, but that's ok, it's inspired fare. I appreciate the lack of handholding and some of the quests and bits so far that really treat you with an oldschool (the right kind of oldschool) fare that challenges you to think outside of the box a little.

Really nice. Great music too, though some of the vocal bits can grate when they're just looped in one area.

a: don't wanna play

b: played it and got about 50% trophies, i don't want to spend a year on the rest of it. that's not a grind, it's a whole year taken away from you.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hey there fellow Nier obsessives!

Just posting a link to a Google docs page that contains the collated translations of the recently published Grimoire Nier super-guide, plus various post game interviews with directer Taro Yoko and other Cavia devs.

Excellent resource for fans, but obviously super-spoilertastic if you haven't finished the game (at least once!).

Great stuff and big thanks to the folks on the Nier Gamefaqs board for their time and effort.
/bow

Top Bottom