• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Clear said:
@Rabbitwork (re: a certain character's final thoughts)

Yes there is a reason, but its incredibly (deliberately?) vague in the English translation, and only a little more clear in the original Japanese.

Unhide to have your mind messed with:

Emil is gay and has a crush on Nier. Kaine is more of a big sister figure to him.
Yep, Taro Yoko strikes again.

Mind blown!

I'm really interested in buying a copy of Nier for PS3 for a reasonable price + shipping. If anybody has beat it and is interested for selling a complete copy for around $30, PM me!

Jinaar

Clear said:
Hey there fellow Nier obsessives!

Just posting a link to a Google docs page that contains the collated translations of the recently published Grimoire Nier super-guide, plus various post game interviews with directer Taro Yoko and other Cavia devs.

I just read most everything but a few of the Short Stories. Wow. That just was a cornucopia/wealth of information.

Thanks, Clear, for the link. That was great to read.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Jinaar said:
I just read most everything but a few of the Short Stories. Wow. That just was a cornucopia/wealth of information.

Thanks, Clear, for the link. That was great to read.

My pleasure. Its such great stuff too, even the interviews are ridiculously entertaining.

For a bunch that have come up with some of the darkest storylines in the history of gaming they seem to have a great sense of (twisted) humour.

Jinaar

Awesome. Full sentence accolades. Not like how movie trailers on the TV will quote articles with single words for the most part ...

"Awesome!"

"Explosions!"

"The Summer starts here!"

This thought, is actual, legit, glorious all over the face, shout outs of praise. I like. Will it make a difference? Gosh I would love it too.

/wonders if he should double dip on that XBOX 360 copy to match the PS3 one.

Yoshiya

My soundtrack shipped from play-asia today. OH YES YES YES YES

Cannot wait, its amazing. If you want to pick it up, do so, it's beginning to get harder to find

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Got the game after everyone's appraisal ... and damn it is indeed good.
Love the mixing of styles giving it that old school feeling.

The obvious team ICO "inspiration" in the over world with the textures, bloom and the Lizards running around in the field exactly like SOTC...
Form which you can obtain lizard tails from :D

love the soundtrack, love the characters.. cant wait to get further and further!

Got Nier last week, seems like it is fun. Unfortunately I seem to be dying very often and it's getting frustrating. I fell like I'm not doing something right. I just got the book and I get knocked around like a rag doll. Also why are the boss fights so darn long? Any advice or suggestions. Thanks

Caelestis

darkjedi187 said:
Got Nier last week, seems like it is fun. Unfortunately I seem to be dying very often and it's getting frustrating. I fell like I'm not doing something right. I just got the book and I get knocked around like a rag doll. Also why are the boss fights so darn long? Any advice or suggestions. Thanks
Change to easier difficulty in the options on the title screen and all your frustration problems will be solved...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
About Nier's combat:

To avoid getting bounced pinball style between attackers get used to evading, if you're on the ground already you'll roll instead so don't wait to get up. Using space and keeping moving is very important when dealing with groups of shades.

Blocking is most effective against magic projectile attacks, its rarely worth using against melee attackers as evasion is much more reliable.

I wouldn't worry too much about using finishing blows. Positioning can be tricky and in the end they don't always kill the target and will leave you open to getting hit.

Using magic effectively is crucial, the most important thing to get used to is the way that several of the best spells aren't aimed - they just project ahead of Nier in his facing direction. This is why evading out into space is so crucial- it'll give you time to adjust your facing direction and deliver damage accurately. Once you get Dark Fist you'll see what I mean.

Also don't forget you can switch your magic and word loadout situationally; there are more than a few parts of the game where using a specific magic attack will give you a huge advantage over anything else. Sometimes going into full-on shooter mode (dark blast with mana consumption mods = twin-stick shooter time) is vital.

Other than that, just keep your gear up to date (buy the Lily-Leaf sword early on, and grab the Phoenix spear in the second half), and once you get your party together feel free to switch members into guard mode for extra free healing.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
NP. Just don't forget Sash's advice about difficulty either - there's a big difference between normal and hard. On hard boss fights can take a long time, meaning that you really need to get good at not taking damage because otherwise you'll get worn down.

This is a real problem as the continue system can leave you "dead-ended". You start with the number of healing potions you had left when you died last, so in a drawn out boss-battle you can end up continuing from weaker and weaker position until you end up restarting with a sliver of health and no means to recover before the enemy goes down... Not good.

Clear said:
NP. Just don't forget Sash's advice about difficulty either - there's a big difference between normal and hard. On hard boss fights can take a long time, meaning that you really need to get good at not taking damage because otherwise you'll get worn down.

This is a real problem as the continue system can leave you "dead-ended". You start with the number of healing potions you had left when you died last, so in a drawn out boss-battle you can end up continuing from weaker and weaker position until you end up restarting with a sliver of health and no means to recover before the enemy goes down... Not good.

That's what has been happening to me. I get killed during a long boss battle and have no healing items. I'm gonna try and put it on easy. Thanks again.

Cels

So I'm getting the sense that a lot of GAFers like this game, but most of the press does not (sub-70 metacritic score on both 360 and PS3). Can anyone give me a quick run-down of why those reviewers are largely wrong and why this game is worth my time? I want to give it a chance.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nier is not an easy game to review at all because its a far better experience than it is a technical showcase, and the areas where it shines are ones that are unusually subjective in terms of appreciation.

I mean I can sit here and tell you that Nier has a great story, characters, and an unforgettable soundtrack but you might not only disagree with my assessment, but consider those things to be something you don't especially care about in a game.

Technically there are a lot of bones to pick at because its trying to do a lot of different stuff gameplay-wise with what clearly isn't a state of the art graphics engine. The viewpoint is constantly changing (from a Zelda-ish third person, to top-down twin-stick shooter, 2.5d side-on platforming, to Res evil style fixed cameras, and more) and some parts simply work better than others; Its a really mixed bag.

What it boils down to is that Nier's jack-of-all-trades approach doesn't allow any single element to shine brighter than its inspiration. Now I think that in this instance that the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts, but I guess a lot of reviewers took the opposite view.

Nier is also a particularly reviewer confounding game due to the way its structured. The most brilliant thing about Nier is unquestionably the perspective shifting replay leading to ending B, something I highly doubt many reviewers are even aware of because it occurs only after story completion.

This sadly is why games are front-loaded these days, because there's no guarantee that people (particularly reviewers) will explore beyond what is immediately offered.

Ironically a few reviews cursed the game's "bad" pacing because they binged on the game's deep stock of side-quests early in the story, presumably out of a misguided sense of thoroughness. No real player should ever do this inadvertently because the game always shows you where to go next to progress the story, and frequently tells you (via Grimoire Weiss snarky comments) that you have better things to do.

Yes, the signposting at times could be better (i.e. the infamous Joystiq non-review over the fishing side-quest) but a missing hint prompt is a minor inconvenience when there's a conspicuous red cross on the mini-map showing you -as it does from the very start- precisely where to go next.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Spirit of Jazz said:
Is it worth the second play through? How much actually change,

Yes, it's absolutely worth the second playthrough. (Its not long, only takes 4-6 hours if you don't sidequest.)

Nothing changes but everything changes :D

Alucrid

Banned
So I decided to use Gamestop's +$10 credit when you trade in three games promo this week. I had Oblivion, Halo3 and SFIV for the 360 and already owned Oblivion for the PC, owned SSFIV, and the other was Halo 3, so it was a big deal. Okay, that's fine, I buy Nier used since they didn't have new copies and go on my way. When I get back apparently they charged me 49.99 for the game despite the sticker on the case saying 44.99. Not only that but the disc looked like someone decided to smear their semen on it. Just another life lesson as to why I don't buy from gamestop. Must be number four or five by now. I hope the game is good.

I don't think this particular interview was posted before but here's an interview with Emi Evans who is the vocalist/lyricist on a lot of the soundtrack.

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=9629

It's an interesting read.

I started getting into her band, freesscape, just after NieR was released, it's really beautiful. Their second album, The Next Confusion, is excellent if you like trip-hop style stuff (Massive Attack, Portishead). There's a review of it on that website as well.

1stStrike

Banned
Just got this game yesterday, and so far the music is what's really enthralled me the most. I also like Weiss's snarky comments. Definitely the best RPG I've played in a while, graphic engine flaws and crappy fishing aside. I've still got a ways to go yet, I think, (I'm doing the sidequests and trying to save up money... but I keep spending it as quick as I save it up).

I just got to the forest of myths. I also have the DLC too, but I'm obviously not a high enough level for it yet.

Many of the monsters/bosses in this game are just trippy. I also think it's pretty cool how you can't always rescue people and stuff
like with the mom running off with her lover and then getting owned by the robots.

I've been waiting for an RPG that wasn't all happy and stuff :D

Also, for anyone that's played Demon's Souls... some of the environments in this game give me a real DS-esque vibe. The fact that it's an action rpg as well really makes some of the places feel similar. It was pretty cool :)

Valcryst

Neo Member
Spirit of Jazz said:
Is it worth the second play through? How much actually change, as the achievement you get for reading the last novel has me a little worried.

For me it was worth a second, third and fourth playthrough, every new scene to watch and every new dialogue to listen to.
Got the platinum trophy on June 27th and I'm still playing it to get 100% quests and words.

Rufus

A nice detail about the New Game+ in Nier is that it starts at the second half of the game. Provided you did all the sidequest or don't care about them your subsequent playthroughs are going to be really brief, as in one ending per sitting.

Just felt the need to drop in and show this game some love. Picked it up earlier this week (360 version), and although I was expecting something decent I have been honestly blown away by how good this game is.

I am seriously considering double dipping and getting the PS3 version, if only to show the devs some support. I am only 7 or so hours in and can't get enough. :D

renzo

Finished yesterday and my mind was blown away by the story, if you love good storytelling, great charachter development and superb music, this is the game for you.

Now that Cavia is gone, Nier adds up to the list of cult videogames.

I love this game so much... so I double dipped and grabbed the PS3 version yesterday :D

I was about 7 hours into the 360 version but decided to start again on PS3. Seems the PS3 version is slightly sharper, but that might be just me.

Ordered the OST from playasia this morning :D

matmanx1

Cavia gone? Noooooo! I really loved Nier and enjoyed Fate/Unlimited Codes as well which they also worked on. Hopefully the folks responsible for Nier will continue to be allowed to make games like it as it really is a unique gem.

Too bad it's so overlooked!

1stStrike

Banned
I just beat it and wow... the ending isn't perfect, but it's still pretty damn good. I just wish they didn't skimp so much on the explanation and final encounter :|

Other than that, fabulous game. I'm definitely going to do NG+ and get the B ending.

Question, though, what are the C and D endings, how do you get them and are they worth it?

trejo

Just got ending A a while ago. This game is a masterpiece. If Cavia really is gone now, at least they went out on an excellent high note.

And the music! My god, the music. The soundtrack for this game is perfect. Not a single flaw to be found.

Now I'm off to get the rest of the endings. What a great game this is.

Valcryst

Neo Member
Whaat? Cavia is gone?! Too bad, I was looking forward to new projects (involving Nier or new titles)...

1stStrike said:
Question, though, what are the C and D endings, how do you get them and are they worth it?

You have to finish the game a thrid time after watching ending B (and if I dont' go wrong having avery weapon), then you'll be prompted a choice and you'll watch ending C or D depending of the choice.
Be careful, because (minor spoiler)
by choosing the second answer and watching the D ending ALL your save date will be lost.
save on top of the lost shrine (before the point of no return), watch the C ending, reload and choose the other answer. you can also backup your save data before watching the D ending, so that you can finish sidequest, weapon forging, cultivation, fishing and everything else.
And yes, they're worth it.

trejo

I've been listening to Song of the Ancients - Fate nonstop. When that track came up in the game I was just in utter fucking awe.

As much as I hate a lot of the design flaws and overall quality of the game, it's still pretty fun I guess. I feel like it could have been a lot more.. but this is the first Cavia game I've played all the way through. Also I'm trying to get the C ending so I probably like it more than I think. I dunno. New Game + was done well, I wish more games did it that way.

Vlodril

So i recently started this game and its pretty good so far. Run into a bug though. I need to fight a boss at Junk heap after jumping through a hole on the floor but for some reason it wont appear and i need to fight him for the second part of the key. Any ideas?

1stStrike

Banned
Vlodril said:
So i recently started this game and its pretty good so far. Run into a bug though. I need to fight a boss at Junk heap after jumping through a hole on the floor but for some reason it wont appear and i need to fight him for the second part of the key. Any ideas?

Are you sure you've actually advanced to that part yet? You might need to talk to Popola or something first. I made the mistake of going there too early and jumping through the hole too. If there isn't a cut scene before you go into the hole then you've missed something.

Alucrid

Banned
Vlodril said:

Remember, the quest line is...

Get item to repair the blade
Give item to shop
Wait for letter from shop
Get letter, return to shop
Go on mission to kill the boss

Yoshiya

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/18/japanese-gamers-on-the-most-interesting-games-of-2010-so-far/

Nier at number 5. Interesting. I wonder if the game's growing cult status will make a sequel more appealing to SE, current sales numbers probably don't seem too disappointing for a niche console RPG, particularly in Japan. The soundtrack is also consistently at the top of play-asia's import charts, a simple metric but hopefully they see the potential for a bonus/remix album a la The World Ends with You.

The translators were interviewed on Active Time Babble during E3, and they said that the game quickly became highly sought after in Japan, will the initial shipment selling out. Perhaps there is hope for Cavia post absorption...

Finished my first play through last night, can't wait to get into the new game + tonight.

Such a fantastic game, I can't rave enough about it. Simply amazing.

hmm, read a few random pages of impressions from this thread and i'm pretty sure this is the game for me after all (i had doubts). so thanks guys!

i can forgive most games' flaws and sub-par graphics pretty easily and i'm starving for some more unique dark/weird RPGs... can't wait to hear the much praised soundtrack too!

just curious about if there is any reason to do sidequests in the new game plus? can I just go through the main missions and get all the good? I did most of the side quests in this first run (92%)

Linkzg said:
just curious about if there is any reason to do sidequests in the new game plus? can I just go through the main missions and get all the good? I did most of the side quests in this first run (92%)

There's no real reason unless you are going for achievements.

I'm going to eat Crow and say this game was actually good afterall. After getting all 4 endings I couldn't help but realize that I was having fun.. playing a Cavia game. Fuck the material hunting, though. Fuck that.

But.. it's the first Cavia game that I consider to be pretty awesome. It'd be nice if they made another.. but I guess it's unlikely?

Top Bottom