• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Yay, I got the Platinum. That was a lot of work. Fucking materials!

I liked the whole deleting my files thing. I saved my file to a memory stick before I let it happen, though. So I didn't feel the pain of having all of my hard work being deleted.

Augemitbutter said:
yea, they should've locked the save so nobody could move it.

hopefully in Nier II.

I could have sworn i remember hearing that it was the original intention but MS and Sony would not have it.

Faulty memory i guess.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Interesting thing: If you allow your saves to be deleted in ending D, then you cannot reuse the same name again in a subsequent playthrough unless you delete/overwrite the system data file.

Btw work has continued on the Grimoire Nier translation project Here. Amongst the new stuff added is the "Demonic Mountain" short story that adds an extra cruel twist or three to the story of the two brothers...

Clear said:
Amongst the new stuff added is the "Demonic Mountain" short story that adds an extra cruel twist or three to the story of the two brothers...

Sheds a bit of a creepy light on the "Ancient Knife" quest. As if there wasn't enough creepiness between those kids.
This could also serve as an explanation as to why the brother that runs the store in the second half of the game has a robotic arm...he was so hungry he ate his original one................after he ate his brother's.

Oh and this isn't entirely related but I played through Drakengard and posted my thoughts here.

Clear said:
Have you written anything on Nier? I've tried but trying to get my thoughts down, truthfully, just... confounds me! I can't think of a better way to describe it. There's so much I want to get down but articulating it for some reason I find impossibly hard.

Yeah there's this. I'm used to writing about arcade and other "simplistic" games so it's tough for me as well. Lately though I've realized that there are enough great games and yet I find myself looking for something else. Still trying to put all that together.

Towards the end of the year I'm sure I'll revisit the game and give some more fleshed out thoughts on it, especially since I'll be going into it with what I know from Drakengard and the writer's thoughts on the series.

I also want to give Drakengard 2 a second look. It was pretty much ignored even by fans of the first and I think it has a lot to offer that isn't easily summarized by gameplay improvements and other trivial things.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh and this isn't entirely related but I played through Drakengard and posted my thoughts here.

Nice piece, I appreciated the contrasting objective/subjective summaries at the end particularly as its something I'd like to see more of in professional criticism as its the only way to get the full flavour of some games across.

Have you written anything on Nier? I've tried but trying to get my thoughts down, truthfully, just... confounds me! I can't think of a better way to describe it. There's so much I want to get down but articulating it for some reason I find impossibly hard.

Trying to do this has honestly softened my opinion on some (not all mind) of the harsh reviews Nier got because in many ways it defies conventional criticism. There are things about the game that aren't particularly good, but there are others that are in my honest opinion genuinely brilliant - freakishly so in fact.

1stStrike

Banned
Nier has all of the core elements to make it a great game.

Story: Check
Characters: Check
Music: Check
Gameplay: Check

Once you branch out from there and start analyzing all of the little details, that's when you start seeing the flaws. But, they really don't detract from the overall enjoyment of the game. The only thing I hate is moving all those stupid blue blocks (you guys know what I'm talking about). It's the reason Nier NG+ is on hold atm as I just don't feel like doing it again right now :|

Dizzle24

35 hours in on my first playthrough...great game! Aside from the stupid fishing and 1 uncompletable quest, I'm loving every minute. The music really sets an awesome mood in each section.
Some of the stuff that happens is kind of depressing, but it adds to the depth of the story.
Can't wait to see what happens at the end...
I'm assuming that the opening cutscene and gameplay segment is really the end of the game. I am just finished with getting all but 1 piece of the artifact thing...

1stStrike

Banned
Dizzle24 said:
35 hours in on my first playthrough...great game! Aside from the stupid fishing and 1 uncompletable quest, I'm loving every minute. The music really sets an awesome mood in each section.
Some of the stuff that happens is kind of depressing, but it adds to the depth of the story.
Can't wait to see what happens at the end...
I'm assuming that the opening cutscene and gameplay segment is really the end of the game. I am just finished with getting all but 1 piece of the artifact thing...

Yeah, but get ready for the ending. It's an emotional roller coaster.

Dizzle24

On my 2nd playthrough. Finished with ending A...not sure if my gameplay was relevant to getting a specific ending, but I assume they are consecutive and require multiple playthroughs. I like the new additional cutscenes on my 2nd playthrough, but kinda sad
seeing the Shades' side of the
story. :(

1stStrike

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Are the PS3 and 360 versions identical? Trying to decide which platform to get this game on.

Pretty much. They don't really have any noticeable differences, so get it on whichever platform you prefer.

Meh, I probably shouldn't have sold this game on ebay after getting platinum. I miss it :(
Maybe I should get the 360 version now... Or replicant! Anybody know where to get it cheap?

1stStrike said:
Once you branch out from there and start analyzing all of the little details, that's when you start seeing the flaws. But, they really don't detract from the overall enjoyment of the game.

AKA: How To Enjoy Rogue Galaxy.

srsly. if a lot of games weren't picked to death on the small things they'd do a lot better. i'm already convinced on getting NIER but it's still almost full price for some reason.

leng jai

schennmu said:
Meh, I probably shouldn't have sold this game on ebay after getting platinum. I miss it :(
Maybe I should get the 360 version now... Or replicant! Anybody know where to get it cheap?

Zavvi have it for 12 pounds.

Got this two weeks ago.

Really enjoying it. Yes, it's graphics are generally "meh" and it starts out slow but I'm really glad I stuck with it.

P.S. The Joystiq guy needs to be punched, then fired, then punched again. What a fuckin' moron.

1stStrike

Banned
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
AKA: How To Enjoy Rogue Galaxy.

srsly. if a lot of games weren't picked to death on the small things they'd do a lot better. i'm already convinced on getting NIER but it's still almost full price for some reason.

It's $40 on amazon and $31 used the last time I checked.

1stStrike said:
It's $40 on amazon and $31 used the last time I checked.

i have a prime account so i feel way obligated to buy directly from amazon(fulfilled). :lol

if 3D dot game heroes and darksiders don't last me very long i'll just get it from a 3rd party @ 40.

Jonnyram

Grabbed the DLC last night after finally getting my A ending (can't believe it's taken me 3 months to play through 22 hours of game :/)

The remixed music is incredible, and I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this extra stuff. One thing I need to ask - for the "beat X boss in Y seconds" achievements, a lot of places advise, "don't bother on your first playthrough". But how do you fight these on subsequent playthroughs? I thought a good chunk of them take place before the mid-point which you start from on later plays. Also, there won't be any issues getting all the weapons, right? Are there any that you can only get in the first half of the game?

Diebuster

Jonnyram said:
Grabbed the DLC last night after finally getting my A ending (can't believe it's taken me 3 months to play through 22 hours of game :/)

The remixed music is incredible, and I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this extra stuff. One thing I need to ask - for the "beat X boss in Y seconds" achievements, a lot of places advise, "don't bother on your first playthrough". But how do you fight these on subsequent playthroughs? I thought a good chunk of them take place before the mid-point which you start from on later plays. Also, there won't be any issues getting all the weapons, right? Are there any that you can only get in the first half of the game?

For the achievements, don't worry - all of the boss-related ones are attainable in new game+. I'm pretty sure the same is true for weapons, but if you didn't get Faith during the first half, it's only attainable
at the shop in the Aerie before you destroy it.

Jonnyram

Thanks, you've put my mind at ease :)
I quite feel like 100%ing the achievements on this. Depends how frustrating the fishing is, I guess.

V-Gief

Jonnyram said:
Thanks, you've put my mind at ease :)
I quite feel like 100%ing the achievements on this. Depends how frustrating the fishing is, I guess.
Platted it today and to my surprise, the fishing was a breeze once you figure it out. The material gathering for all the weapon upgrades however... awful :(

Aru

Bought the game for 360 thanks to Zavvi's Mega Monday deal.

I haven't received it yet, but it doesn't really matter since I want to finish all my other games first.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Rented this a few days ago, played until the first trip into the Junk Heap. Decided it wasn't really something I wanted to pick up.

Aaaaaaaaand I picked it up on a whim anyway yesterday and wondered what the hell I was thinking before. :lol

Mr Rivuz

I finally bought this too, thanks to Zavvi :D

Going to start playing it right now, despite not very good reviews i got pretty high expectations (especially storywise) from all the positive comments from people who played it.

1stStrike

Banned
You will love it. Just give it a couple hours to get past the beginning and then go smash some shit. Don't forget to use the jump + special to slam shadows. I love that move (especially with the 2handed swords)

Reknoc

Picked this up thanks to GAME's 2 for £30 deal. Really enjoyed it, then I hated it, now I realise the trick to fishing and I love it again.

Really really in love with the setting and music.

Enk

makes good threads.
I'm about 30 hours into this right now (Hard mode) and I must say that this game completely took me by surprise. I had almost no expections and almost completely written it off based on a few screens and some videos I saw. It's now pretty much becoming one of my favorite Action JRPGs this gen.

It's weird because despite all its imperfections I'm more drawn to wanting to return to this game's world than most other games this gen. It's probably because I see a certain charm in a game that tries to be an intentionally weird mix of things. Plus I get a little moist over games that have nice overworlds with catchy music.

(slight spoilers)
It's like all the genre that were mixed into this game were almost aimed to titulate someone like me. At times it's a Zelda-esque adventure, other times it's a bullet hell shooter, sometimes it is a side scrolling platformer, one time it's being a little like Resident Evil, and other times, strangley, a kind of text adventure. And while these things aren't as polished as they could be, the wild swinging from one genre to the next makes me eager to continue playing just to see what comes next.

Even the story is a little unconventional for jRPG standards. I like that the characters buck from the mold. Playing as a father who is caring for his daughter is a much more enjoyable protagonist than "whiney, teen boy destined to save the world". Kanye is also a, um, rather interesting girl (?). Emil was annoying me at first but the twist with him is making that character more interesting. NPC's can be a little forgetable but their quests at times usually end with a pretty downbeat note.

Also the soundtrack in this game is freaking amazing. It's definitely one of my tops of this gen. Nearly every track has been something I've loved listening to while slaughtering away at the Shades.

So yeah, Nier, I likes it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
fishing is fun and easy. people mention it because they fish at the wrong spot at the beginning of the game, like i did.
Every quest in the game tells you where to go on your map. The first thing I did when I got that quest was check where it was on my map.

The game's instructions on how to fish were wrong, though? I had a hell of a hard time with the fishing and the game eventually gave me a pity fish.

Reknoc

This game keeps getting better and better, just got the sealed verses and started
the time skip
. The game isn't super serious by any means but the Junk Heap boss, the scene at the end of the desert temple and the mansion really took me by surprise.

I love all the party banter aswell, especially when it's Weiss and Kaine.

Reknoc said:
This game keeps getting better and better, just got the sealed verses and started
the time skip
. The game isn't super serious by any means but the Junk Heap boss, the scene at the end of the desert temple and the mansion really took me by surprise.

I love all the party banter aswell, especially when it's Weiss and Kaine.

Be sure to do new game + and watch the cutscenes too.

Beezy

I beat Nier earlier and saw the first ending. This might just be my favorite jrpg this gen. I'll decide after I see the other endings.

Caelestis

It's good to see that people here still liking this game. Most of the time I notice gaf likes to go from loving to hating games within a few weeks. xD

Anyhow, I enjoyed this so much that after I sold my copy I wanted to play this again even though I finished it several time, so I went ahead and got a Replicant version. Now I just need to find the time for it in my backlog...

leehom

Picked it up at Amazon when they had it on sale for $36. Liking the game so far. I've put a few hours in and I've been killing sheep/lambs and capturing lizard tails. Trying to figure out how to plant the seeds I just bought.......

1stStrike

Banned
leehom said:
Picked it up at Amazon when they had it on sale for $36. Liking the game so far. I've put a few hours in and I've been killing sheep/lambs and capturing lizard tails. Trying to figure out how to plant the seeds I just bought.......

You can plant them in the garden by your house after a certain point/quest.

Gameboy415

Is there any word on more Nier digital comics being released on PSN??

If not, is there a physical comic book available?

I absolutely love the game so I want to keep up with any spin-off/canonical materials outside of the game itself.

Beezy

The last two weapon upgrade achievements are retarded. So is the flower one. I can't even get this legendary fish on my line. Getting a million gold takes too long. I don't wanna do a quick playthrough after playing so many times.

I'm done with these achievements. 930/1000 is good enough for me. I'm gonna go ahead and watch ending D tomorrow.

leng jai

It is normal that all the cutscenes have black see through borders in them with the bottom one being thicker than the top? Looks absurdly bad and nonsensical.

mjc

I'm thinking of picking this up again...I dunno. The fetch quests were what forced me over the edge the first time, but I enjoyed the main story stuff. (I didn't beat it)

leng jai said:
It is normal that all the cutscenes have black see through borders in them with the bottom one being thicker than the top? Looks absurdly bad and nonsensical.
That... sounds strange. Could you take a picture of what you're looking at?

Beezy

leng jai said:
Yeah. They don't bother me, but they serve no purpose.

Top Bottom