• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Beezy said:
You'll get enough gold to buy all the weapons just from doing the sidequests in the 2nd half of the game.
In one playthrough, or all 3? I'm doing those too :lol

I just want to get them all for the endings.

Beezy

shintoki said:
In one playthrough, or all 3? I'm doing those too :lol

I just want to get them all for the endings.
In one playthrough or over the course of all 3 playthroughs. You can't do the sidequests more than once.

The sidequests you did, money, items, experience, everything carries over to the next playthrough. If you completed a certain sidequest when you saw ending A, it will already be complete once you start your ending B playthrough. If you weren't able to finish a sidequest on your ending A run, it will still be there for you to try again on your ending B run.

Believe me. There will be a point in this game where gold becomes irrelevant.
Unless you're going for that shitty achievement...

Manaka

So, if I'm not a huge graphic whore could this possibly be the most awesome game this gen for me? (missed the sale where it cost 15 euro, now it would be 22)

Manaka

Great.
What's a good reliable site to order it? (all the shops I normally buy at have it at a much higher price, currently I'd order it at game.co.uk, shipping to mainland Europe btw)

Nasreddin

Manaka said:
Great.
What's a good reliable site to order it? (all the shops I normally buy at have it at a much higher price, currently I'd order it at game.co.uk, shipping to mainland Europe btw)
Ordered serveral times from Game.co.uk and Zavvi.com. Sometimes both retailers sell used games as new. But most of the time the games are very cheap, so I don't really care.

Ordered Nier from Zavvi for 12 Euros two weeks ago.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
After spending some time with it, Nier is definitely my favourite RPG in a long time, gameplay is fun, characters are awesome and the music and VA is really good too.

Reknoc said:
Oh damn, that's gonna drive me alittle crazy :lol
I initially thought this as well, but you know what? The first half of the game is pretty boring. I guess it would be nice to view the cutscenes again, but the real meat of the game is in its second half.

Beezy said:
Unless you're going for that shitty achievement...
Yeah, but lets face it, only losers would commit themselves to achieving such a thing.

1stStrike

Banned
Easy_D said:
After spending some time with it, Nier is definitely my favourite RPG in a long time, gameplay is fun, characters are awesome and the music and VA is really good too.

NIER had me at "WEISS, YOU DUMB ASS!" :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's a shame Nier got such negative press early on, but it's nice to see that people are checking it out now. It's a really great game, and one that shouldn't get overlooked.

1stStrike said:
We need to make NIER the next Demon's Souls.

I agree. I really need to finish Replicant, the game is beautiful. The atmosphere, the art, the world, the music, the gameplay, I love it all. Easily going to place in one of the top 5 games of 2010 for me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jetsetfluken said:
I agree. I really need to finish Replicant, the game is beautiful. The atmosphere, the art, the world, the music, the gameplay, I love it all. Easily going to place in one of the top 5 games of 2010 for me.

I was tempted to get Replicant, but so far everything I've seen of it makes it look inferior to Gestalt.

MoxManiac

Which one is Gestalt? Ugly old man version or Emo Douche version?

I want to get this game but I have the usual backlog. For the right price I guess. It really sounds good.

thetrin said:
I was tempted to get Replicant, but so far everything I've seen of it makes it look inferior to Gestalt.

I don't know much Japanese so I'm lost with the intricate plot details and such, but I like it this way; it gives a real "natural" feel to me where you have to decipher what is going on through actions and events and tones rather than being overloaded with text. And I understand the basics just fine.
The world and atmosphere is engrossing enough that language is not a barrier.
I just found the Replicant protagonist to be more suited towards the atmosphere and goes better with the art design of all the other characters. The game has a dreary, "beautiful" yet quaint atmosphere that I find he resonates more with. And I'll admit, the typical "bishounen" JRPG male protagonist is actually for once refreshing to see after just playing through the entire God of War series (Collection+III) and Dante's Inferno in my case. In a generation where masterpiece JRPG's are a rarity if anything, it's welcome for once.

The way they blended the music together in the village for example, when you enter the library or the girl singing at the fountain, is seamless and the melody is unforgettable. An incredible OST.
There may also be different music tracks in places, but I'm not sure on that.

Of course, I'm going to replay it on Gestalt version (PS3 US) afterwards.

I think Nier was released in the wrong generation. I think this game would have gotten much more praise and attention in the PS1 or PS2 generation, but especially here, it was released at a time where there were other titles on most people's minds as well (the March-May 2010 craze). The style of the gameplay and overall game is a PS1/PS2 RPG lover's dream come true, and doesn't try too many outrageous new novelties, instead expands and has very large overworld areas and lush towns.

It's definitely a game that people who aren't seasoned in JRPG's won't really appreciate, and in this generation of JRPG's not being the masterpieces they once were, it's easy to imagine this gem being overlooked. Some may have been curious, but read sub-par reviews; thus brainwashed themselves into thinking they can save some money and buy the next mainstream raved title instead, and just ignore Nier.

Caelestis

thetrin said:
Which parts exactly makes it look inferior, unless you're referring to the main character?

thetrin

MoxManiac said:
Which one is Gestalt? Ugly old man version or Emo Douche version?

I want to get this game but I have the usual backlog. For the right price I guess. It really sounds good.

Gestalt is the Nick Nolte version.

Replicant is the emo douche version. Gestalt has better voice acting, better dialogue, and some of the name changes they made in Replicant are inferior.

In general, Gestalt is a better version. If you REALLY want to play with the young dude (which I wanted to do), the DLC has him.

Sash said:
Which parts exactly makes it look inferior, unless you're referring to the main character?

Better voice acting (comparitive, english vs. japanese.), they changed the grimoire names to inferior names, there are cutscenes that make a lot less sense in the context of Replicant's character vs. Gestalt's.

To be honest, I wanted Replicant over Gestalt. I like the design of the character more. That said, Gestalt is a better overall game from what I've seen.

jetsetfluken said:
I don't know much Japanese so I'm lost with the intricate plot details and such, but I like it this way; it gives a real "natural" feel to me where you have to decipher what is going on through actions and events and tones rather than being overloaded with text. And I understand the basics just fine.
The world and atmosphere is engrossing enough that language is not a barrier.
I just found the Replicant protagonist to be more suited towards the atmosphere and goes better with the art design of all the other characters. The game has a dreary, "beautiful" yet quaint atmosphere that I find he resonates more with. And I'll admit, the typical "bishounen" JRPG male protagonist is actually for once refreshing to see after just playing through the entire God of War series (Collection+III) and Dante's Inferno in my case. In a generation where masterpiece JRPG's are a rarity if anything, it's welcome for once.

The way they blended the music together in the village for example, when you enter the library or the girl singing at the fountain, is seamless and the melody is unforgettable. An incredible OST.
There may also be different music tracks in places, but I'm not sure on that.

Of course, I'm going to replay it on Gestalt version (PS3 US) afterwards.

I think Nier was released in the wrong generation. I think this game would have gotten much more praise and attention in the PS1 or PS2 generation, but especially here, it was released at a time where there were other titles on most people's minds as well (the March-May 2010 craze). The style of the gameplay and overall game is a PS1/PS2 RPG lover's dream come true, and doesn't try too many outrageous new novelties, instead expands and has very large overworld areas and lush towns.

It's definitely a game that people who aren't seasoned in JRPG's won't really appreciate, and in this generation of JRPG's not being the masterpieces they once were, it's easy to imagine this gem being overlooked. Some may have been curious, but read sub-par reviews; thus brainwashed themselves into thinking they can save some money and buy the next mainstream raved title instead, and just ignore Nier.

Considering you don't know Japanese, you will enjoy Gestalt more. The story is a HUGE part of what makes the game great. Not to mention that it's utterly depressing! :D

Caelestis

thetrin said:
Better voice acting (comparitive, english vs. japanese.), they changed the grimoire names to inferior names, there are cutscenes that make a lot less sense in the context of Replicant's character vs. Gestalt's.

To be honest, I wanted Replicant over Gestalt. I like the design of the character more. That said, Gestalt is a better overall game from what I've seen.

I see. I haven't had any issues with the voices in Japanese so far, although I haven't played much of Replicant yet, and I was not aware they changed some names. The game does look better for me since I've been playing the Gestalt version on a non-standard computer screen and it made the game always look like it was covered too much by white smoke (it looked a lot better on HDTV, but I couldn't play on that for too long for various reasons :\). I'm playing Replicant on the same screen, but everything seems fine this time.

Storywise old Nier works, but I was always bugged by him especially after I read the translation of that grimoire book. It made it seem like the young Nier is what the director originally wanted in the game and the background stories were more of a fit with him than old Nier.

hamchan

Wow just finished the game for the first time. Game really is quite brilliant. Shame that it got some negative reviews because of its graphics. I mean, everything else is really good. Story, music, gameplay, I enjoyed all of it.

Nier > FFXIII, that's for sure. How I wish Nier could have had the budget FFXIII had.

Sinople

thetrin said:
Gestalt has better voice acting, better dialogue, and some of the name changes they made in Replicant are inferior.

In general, Gestalt is a better version. If you REALLY want to play with the young dude (which I wanted to do), the DLC has him.

I respectfully disagree.
Japanese VA is top class, grimoire names aren't changed but translated, and I don't remember a cutscene not making a lot of sense because of having a brother instead of a father.

Also, contrary to what is said sometimes, it's pretty clear by reading Grimoire Near that Replicant is the original vision while Gestalt was solely made to appeal to the west.

Aru

Got 6 hours into the game. So far, I like it but it's not a big deal.
What annoys me the most is the music. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad but... it's extremely annoying after a few minutes. And I tend to get mad at games where the music drives me crazy :/

I expected this game to be mediocre at first. Then I read the professional and players reviews and I got hyped. I hope the game delivers at some point. I'm not expecting something huge, but at least something interesting.

So far the story has just started, nothing has really happened. The battle system is simple but quite fun.

I really wish the music wasn't so repetitive. Can't play the game more than 90 minutes by session because of that :(

EDIT: Well it's not all the music of the game, just some tunes that get on my nerves. For example: the theme of the plains and the theme of the village where Kainé was.

vocab

Hmm. I might buy this game. I need a deal on it though. I'm either gonna pick up Resonance of Fate or this as my next game purchase.

Aru

vocab said:
Hmm. I might buy this game. I need a deal on it though. I'm either gonna pick up Resonance of Fate or this as my next game purchase.

Get Resonance of Fate instead of NIER.

ram

just finished it - and yeah, mediocre experiance overall with awesome music and good vo. i really hate the story though, because it doesnt make sense - at least not in the game and not in the western version and maybe not in the german translation. but maan...
kaine is a hermaphrodite and emil is gay??? WTF?
just like the drakengard games...

but strangely i couldnt stop playing. and no, i dont think the visuals are bad per se and i dont think the art is something to talk about. and no, i dont think the gameplay mix is good... i dont know, i just wanted to finish it. in a time, were generic shooters rule, NIER is something fresh. even if its mediocre...

Game really is quite brilliant.

:lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
ram said:
just finished it - and yeah, mediocre experiance overall with awesome music and good vo. i really hate the story though, because it doesnt make sense - at least not in the game and not in the western version and maybe not in the german translation. but maan...
kaine is a hermaphrodite and emil is gay??? WTF?
just like the drakengard games...

Why are you laughing at his opinion? I think it's great too, it's obvious that the game isn't for everyone though.

Not in the "hurp, you're too dumb to get it!!" kinda way of course.

ram

because its not brilliant in ANY way. you know, sometimes people tend to hype games, which arent worth all the fame. NIER is - just like the drakengard games - one of them. they are okay, not bad, but not exactly great. i dont regret my purchase (10€), but i wouldnt have paid 60€. maybe we should be thankful, that square enix brought that game over the sea. but on the other hand, they didnt release front mission 4 / 5, parasite eve 1, legend of mana and countless other games in europe...

ram

BlazingDarkness said:
I'm afraid you're swimming against the current in this thread
many of us love it, deal with it :D

sure i am okay with this, opinions are like... you know what i mean. maybe you should check out WET too. its the same in green.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
ram said:
sure i am okay with this, opinions are like... you know what i mean. maybe you should check out WET too. its the same in green.

Really?

If you honestly think Wet is in any way comparable to Nier in intent and outlook... I think I understand why it hasn't resonated with you.

Nier, like Drakengard before it, is basically a mutant JRPG. The cornerstone of Taro's approach is to subvert the nature of the "hero", specifically that a character who pretty much does nothing but kill everything that stands in front of him on his quest is probably not such a nice guy after all :D

Taro's "heroes" are all irreparably damaged people. In Drakengard Caim is basically a bloodthirsty pyschopath who live to kill, in Nier the main character's obsession with saving his daughter/sister is so complete it blinds him to the fact that his actions make him monstrous. Emil and Kaine offer counterpoints in that they are outwardly monstrous, yet grow increasingly human as the tale unfolds.

Point is, there is real thought behind the plotting and character-work in Nier. Kaine's hermaphroditism and foul mouth at first glance may appear to be splashy but superficial gimmicks, but actually serve a purpose in defining her character and outlook.

While Drakengard was mainly an exercise in nihilism, the beauty of Nier is that it ALL means something to somebody. This is laid out during Popola & Devola's big reveal speech at the end, the tragedy of it all is that there is no right and no wrong - just competing purposes and goals.

A horrible reality that like all tragic heroes, Nier is unable to outwardly accept.

I AM LOVING NIER! There is really only one thing that irks me about it:

I missed one quest in the first half of the game (that stupid guy in seafront near the lighthouse that wants a gift for his materialistic gf) and now I can never get it DONEEEEEEEEEEEEEARTGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Other than that, I am loving it. Nearing the end of my first playthrough, I'm just wrapping up a few loose ends so I can focus on trophies/endings in my future playthroughs. Those pink moonflower seeds are a BITCH to get :lol

I've finally moved on to DAO:Awakening and just check Nier every few hours to see if my crops have died :lol

At this point I would definitely say NIER is my 2010 GOTY.

DigitalDevil said:
I AM LOVING NIER! There is really only one thing that irks me about it:

I missed one quest in the first half of the game (that stupid guy in seafront near the lighthouse that wants a gift for his materialistic gf) and now I can never get it DONEEEEEEEEEEEEEARTGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Other than that, I am loving it. Nearing the end of my first playthrough, I'm just wrapping up a few loose ends so I can focus on trophies/endings in my future playthroughs. Those pink moonflower seeds are a BITCH to get :lol

I've finally moved on to DAO:Awakening and just check Nier every few hours to see if my crops have died :lol

At this point I would definitely say NIER is my 2010 GOTY.

I had to check a guide.
Damn flowers :lol

hamchan

ram said:
because its not brilliant in ANY way. you know, sometimes people tend to hype games, which arent worth all the fame. NIER is - just like the drakengard games - one of them. they are okay, not bad, but not exactly great. i dont regret my purchase (10€), but i wouldnt have paid 60€. maybe we should be thankful, that square enix brought that game over the sea. but on the other hand, they didnt release front mission 4 / 5, parasite eve 1, legend of mana and countless other games in europe...

ram said:
emot-frog.gif

getout

Aru

Just finished the forest of legends (or whatever it is called in english). The dungeon was... interesting. I died in an optional dungeon just after finishing the main one and didn't bother starting again.

Santiako said:
I'm going to start this game today or tomorrow. Any advices before I start?

Take your time in the beginning and try and do all the available quests once they start giving them to you. Talk to everybody, and I mean everybody, and pay attention to the npc dialog. It's not all "important" but it helps flesh out the world a ton, and each of the npcs has their own little story to tell.

Clear.......

please use proper spoiler tags. i was just about to start this game today and i accidentally saw too much of the latter half of your post. i started scrolling upwards and of course i saw the actual spoilers before the warning, so i had no idea...

f-u-c-k.

edit: no biggie though.. it happens. you didn't spoil the whole game i hope, i stopped reading fast.

Top Bottom