• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Rufus said:
How would it? And what makes you think that?
From my understanding, Demon's Souls used an engine that Sony made, and even multi-platform developers can use it. It's probably just because of similar methods and technologies used that makes me think they are similar. In particular, the lighting stands out to me.

I'm trying to find screenshots that properly convey my observations.

methos75

Banned
zerokoolpsx said:
Finally beat it and got the A ending. Tear jerker near the end. Love the banter between Nier, Weiss and Kaine.
Gonna go after B ending in a bit. Upgrading all the weapons can be such a chore. :lol Nier is a lot better than I had expected.
Create a new game save with your data.

Thanks, I did that and lost a few hours of gameplay, but at least its stable now and not locking up my system.

PS3 version of Nier is on sale on Amazon... For the North American versions are there any graphical differences between 360 and PS3? I might bite.

1stStrike

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
PS3 version of Nier is on sale on Amazon... For the North American versions are there any graphical differences between 360 and PS3? I might bite.

Nope, they're exactly the same.

Oh, and I got my 15 Nightmares CD this morning! Ripped all the songs in lossless FLAC and listening to it right now. Shit is awesome!

I just wish they had a remix of Gods Bound by Rules or Temple of Drifting Sands

Dalauz

what a great game. The shmup/old skool arcade mechanic for some levels is pure fun.

my only gripe is with the quest/map layout.

edit: world map*

Haunted

Ordered this a couple days ago on a whim because it got so many mentions in the Soundtrack of the Year thread.

It better not disappoint, Nier-GAF, or I'll have your heads!

It's a great game. Hope you enjoy it. Just don't give up if it doesn't click with you right away. Took me about 8 hours until I could really appreciate it. :p

Dalauz

slaughterking said:
It's a great game. Hope you enjoy it. Just don't give up if it doesn't click with you right away. Took me about 8 hours until I could really appreciate it. :p
Same here, just after the first batch of retarded PS1-era fetch quests

john tv

You guys who have been praising Nier over the past year are awesome. I was out tonight with the game's creator (Taro Yoko) and one of the main planners, Nao Hakumoto, and I specifically told them about you (NeoGAF) and how much you've been supporting the game. Needless to say, they were really thankful and humbled. :)

5aom0w.jpg

BTW, just in case you haven't heard it yet, this 8-Bit remix of Nier music from the 15 Nightmares soundtrack is AMAZING: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h7HjSkAOeM

1stStrike

Banned
john tv said:
You guys who have been praising Nier over the past year are awesome. I was out tonight with the game's creator (Taro Yoko) and one of the main planners, Nao Hakumoto, and I specifically told them about you (NeoGAF) and how much you've been supporting the game. Needless to say, they were really thankful and humbled. :)

5aom0w.jpg

Ahh, that's so awesome. I really do wish them the best of luck and hope they get a chance to work on something else Nier-related down the road.

Jinaar

john tv said:

5aom0w.jpg

BTW, just in case you haven't heard it yet, this 8-Bit remix of Nier music from the 15 Nightmares soundtrack is AMAZING: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h7HjSkAOeM

Give him all the great praise from us! I bought it personally for PS3 and 360 and the DLC for both systems! What game would make me do such a thing? A Great game!

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Thanks for passing on the vibes, John. I think that time will be kind to Nier, and critical appraisal will be more interesting and generous as retrospectives. There's so much more to discuss about what it did fearlessly, brilliantly, uniquely right than there is about the boxes it didn't tick, however much the latter is absolutely necessary in reviews.

2San

john tv said:

:,( It's pretty sad Cavia is no more. Where are the working now? AQ?

john tv said:
[/url]

great! i wish them all the best. awesome games can only be made by awesome people ;)

ShockingAlberto said:
I am so glad I did the boar quest. That makes a lot of the traveling much better. Also, ramming sheep.
Ramming sheep? Hah! That pales in comparison to one of the greatest things in the game:

There is a button to drift your boar.

That had me chuckling to myself for quite some time when I unlocked it. Good ol' Japanese!

Jinaar

If they ever made more DLC for the game, it should include 3 race tracks featuring the boar riding, focus on drifting and make it multiplayer. That is all I would ask :p

Diamond

john tv said:

That's great, thank you for telling him John (and thanks for the awesome translation work). I think it's important for him, as a creator, to realize that many people all over the world already consider his game a classic despite the mixed reviews. I've seen so many non-US reviews, blog posts, forum messages (not only here) praising the game, I just hope that support helps him to continue his work, whatever he decides to do next.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Jinaar said:
If they ever made more DLC for the game, it should include 3 race tracks featuring the boar riding, focus on drifting and make it multiplayer.

Northern Ridge Racer would have been amazing. I spent at least 2 hours pulling 360s around the railway bridge supports.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
All I can say is this: I've been working in the industry as a coder, and latterly as a designer for 22 years. Pretty much my entire life, post college.

If I could know that I was responsible for a project that gave one (1) other person, an experience as profound and powerful as Nier was for me, I'd walk away from all of this tomorrow. Job done.

It really is something very special, arigato Yokoo-san.

Rolf NB

CartridgeBlower said:
Only got time to play one this month, help me decide -- Nier or Resonance of Fate?
Nier.

RoF is good fun. It's the first triAce game I ever finished. It's got the same tedium, the same super drawn-out one-trick battles that every other triAce game has had. Only this time it has enough flash to cover it up, it's reasonably polished, and the story wasn't completely offensive. They also finally let you retry battles.

But yeah, I prefer Nier, no contest. The combat is just way more satisfying. The shmup element integration throughout the game is a must-see. Forest Of Myth = possibly the best game writing/localization of the year. Excellent music.

Rolf NB said:
It's got the same tedium, the same super drawn-out one-trick battles that every other triAce game has had. Only this time it has enough flash to cover it up, it's reasonably polished, and the story wasn't completely offensive.
i just started RoF not too long ago and this perfectly describes my experience with it thus far. i ask myself "do i really want to play something thats this much of a grind?" but the style/flash of the battles really does gloss over a lot of its middling issues.

back OT: nier > RoF; unless you're looking for a supremely japanese grind-fest. nier is just the overall more interesting/compelling experience.

Durante

Clear said:
All I can say is this: I've been working in the industry as a coder, and latterly as a designer for 22 years. Pretty much my entire life, post college.

If I could know that I was responsible for a project that gave one (1) other person, an experience as profound and powerful as Nier was for me, I'd walk away from all of this tomorrow. Job done.

It really is something very special, arigato Yokoo-san.
Wow :lol

Haunted said:
Ordered this a couple days ago on a whim because it got so many mentions in the Soundtrack of the Year thread.

It better not disappoint, Nier-GAF, or I'll have your heads!
I think you'll like it.

1stStrike

Banned
I think my favorite track off the arrange album is Kaine's theme with the dual violins. It's really good. I also like the Shadowlord/Crying Yonah remix, and of course the Song of the Ancients remix with the vocals.

Overall, it's a great addition. Just wish there was more then 11 tracks.

squall211

I just finished ending A last night. It was a great experience. Sure, the graphics are pretty "meh", and there isn't too much variety to the gameplay, but the story is awesome. The interaction between Nier, Weiss and Kaine throughout the game is some of the best the medium has to offer. Also, Kaine's dreams at the beginning of the second playthrough are some of the best things I've ever read in a videogame. Job very well done.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
@Durante

Yeah, I know. It sounds really over the top, and I can't speak for anybody else on this, but the truth of the matter is Nier just resonated perfectly for me.

Hey, I make no claims to have the best taste in the world! - Just that I know what I like, and it delivered for me in spades. And as somebody who considers himself to be (or at least aspires to be a) a "creative" person, that perfect reaction is all you can ever ask.

That's all that needs to be said.

Well, apart from the fact that based on my personal experience, pitching a game like Nier to a western publisher would get you absolutely nowhere! The way the game is structured just flies in the face of what is considered fiscally sound practice for a start, and judging by the response of the press... they would be (sadly) right.

john tv said:

5aom0w.jpg

That's cool. :) Did he mention what he is going to do since he left/is leaving Cavia/AQ Interactive?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Bought this for $10, haven't tried it out yet. Should I completely skip the sidequests? Are there nuggets of goodness buried in their supposed tedium? Can I blast through the game normally and then do them on subsequent playthroughs without missing anything? Does the game have any Guide Dang It syndrome to worry about, or should I just relax and play the game?

Korigama

john tv said:

Glad to hear it. This has definitely been one of the most enjoyable games for me this gen.

Chairman Yang said:
Bought this for $10, haven't tried it out yet. Should I completely skip the sidequests? Are there nuggets of goodness buried in their supposed tedium? Can I blast through the game normally and then do them on subsequent playthroughs without missing anything? Does the game have any Guide Dang It syndrome to worry about, or should I just relax and play the game?
Some of the sidequests lead to interesting dialog, but I skipped most of them. The vast majority of them are fetch quests. Definitely don't bother with the fishing sidequests. -_- The game is pretty straightforward, so a guide isn't necessary. Your map is marked where you need to go next.

1stStrike

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
Some of the sidequests lead to interesting dialog, but I skipped most of them. The vast majority of them are fetch quests. Definitely don't bother with the fishing sidequests. -_- The game is pretty straightforward, so a guide isn't necessary. Your map is marked where you need to go next.

No! He MUST do the fishing side quests so he can suffer as we have! :lol

I, like most others, fished in the wrong spot for like an hour before I figured it out :lol :lol

Syril

1stStrike said:

I, like most others, fished in the wrong spot for like an hour before I figured it out :lol :lol

I know there's an X on the map, but why is there a wrong fishing spot right next to the guy? He could have at least mentioned that it was through the cave or something.

1stStrike

Banned
Syril said:
I know there's an X on the map, but why is there a wrong fishing spot right next to the guy? He could have at least mentioned that it was through the cave or something.

I guess they assumed we'd be smart enough to look at our map and go to the big ass red X. Apparently, we fail :lol

Yoshiya

john tv said:
Fantastic. I just hope they get the opportunities they deserve to develop more amazing games, in the Nier/Drakengard universe or otherwise. It would be a huge loss if they couldn't recover from the Cavia dissolution. Heard anything on that? Come on, you could drop a little, tiny hint...

nli10

1stStrike said:

Amen...
1stStrike said:
I guess they assumed we'd be smart enough to look at our map and go to the big ass red X. Apparently, we fail :lol

The fishing LOOKS like it's working and you are messing it up at the wrong spot. An error message instead of the mini-game would have solved it. "you are not experienced enough to fish here" Wouln't have fitted in I guess.

Really must go back to play this some more but for some reason my brain doesn't associate it with my 360 so I never consider it as an option.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Chairman Yang said:
Bought this for $10, haven't tried it out yet. Should I completely skip the sidequests? Are there nuggets of goodness buried in their supposed tedium? Can I blast through the game normally and then do them on subsequent playthroughs without missing anything?

Yes, there's goodness in them. If you have to skip, don't miss the Popola & Devola song quest or the lighthouse lady questline.

Unless you restart the game entirely, you can't do them again on subsequent playthroughs.

JohngPR

I can get this from Gamefly for $8.99.

I'm tempted to get it despite the fact that the last thing I need is to add another game to my backlog. LOL

1stStrike

Banned
JohngPR said:
I can get this from Gamefly for $8.99.

I'm tempted to get it despite the fact that the last thing I need is to add another game to my backlog. LOL

You really can't go wrong. It's more then worth it.

matmanx1

So awesome to see that picture and post by Johntv! Thanks for sharing our love of Nier with those most responsible for the game.

And yes, I think "resonate" is a great word to describe Nier. It certainly plucked all the right chords for me and emotionally engaged me as few videogames ever have. Nier is a unique experience and criminally under rated and misunderstood by most of those in the gaming world. It truly is a gem of a video game.

Damn, I think I played this for like four hours today and still want to play more. I just
went under the mansion and went through the huge research facility place and fought No.6. The plot is really starting to interest me, because it is just the kind of sci-fi fantasy stuff I love. And holy shit at the previous big scene with the gigantic shade invading the town, Kaine turning to stone, and the arrival of an actual antagonist. Its all coming together for me and am REALLY glad I kept with it.

What is the name of the song when you fight
Number 6, and that one book in the mansion, along with a few other boss fights. That is probably one of my favorite boss battle themes I have ever heard.

1stStrike

Banned
GrumpyAlien said:
Damn, I think I played this for like four hours today and still want to play more. I just
went under the mansion and went through the huge research facility place and fought No.6. The plot is really starting to interest me, because it is just the kind of sci-fi fantasy stuff I love. And holy shit at the previous big scene with the gigantic shade invading the town, Kaine turning to stone, and the arrival of an actual antagonist. Its all coming together for me and am REALLY glad I kept with it.

What is the name of the song when you fight
Number 6, and that one book in the mansion, along with a few other boss fights. That is probably one of my favorite boss battle themes I have ever heard.

Ah, yeah, the end of part 1 is crazy. Just wait till you see who the antagonist really is. Your mind will be blown. I was totally caught off guard.

ShockingAlberto said:
Got Ending A. What part of that do I understand? The last half an hour made very little sense to me.

Though I immediately started again with a new game+.

What don't you understand? I thought it all made sense.

I'm writing the GOTY list right now for the site I write for and...goddamnit, I'm really considering Nier for it.

My main hesitation is that it's so fresh in my mind, I don't know if that's coloring my perception.

1stStrike said:
What don't you understand? I thought it all made sense.

Like....any of it. From the moment
Devola and Popola uttered the words "Project Gestalt" to anything until I hit save game.

ShockingAlberto said:
Got Ending A. What part of that do I understand? The last half an hour made very little sense to me.

did you read....

the documents you got before the final fight against devola and popola? the next playthrough will give you more insight.

ShockingAlberto said:

After you beat the "gemini" boss you get some docs, read them.

Top Bottom