• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Dresden

I have a 25 dollar gift card for K-Mart, and heard that NIER was on sale there... but I can't find it anywhere on their website. Odd.

Korigama

Dresden said:
I have a 25 dollar gift card for K-Mart, and heard that NIER was on sale there... but I can't find it anywhere on their website. Odd.

Could've been taken down after clearing out the ones they had left to ship. While it was still available online last month, the price didn't show up as $20 when I browsed (still said $50), but that was how it rang up when I went to one of their stores in person.

LiK

schennmu said:
Nier has the best story/writing/characters I've seen in a looooooong time. The top notch localization goes hand in hand.
Indeed. I'll fight anyone who doesn't like the localization. Very well done. Grimoire Weiss makes me laugh.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
LiK said:
Indeed. I'll fight anyone who doesn't like the localization. Very well done. Grimoire Weiss makes me laugh.
Grimoire Weiss might be the best thing to ever happen to an RPG, a book full of win!

So I beat this and I'm on my way to get Ending B and
Holy fuck does the game make you feel like a huge asshole. The little shade who loses its mother and befriends the robot :(

sonicmj1

Beat the game, and started on NG+ right afterwards. That's a lot of reading out the gate. Well done stuff, though.

I enjoyed it a lot, on the whole. The sidequest design in the game is entirely varying levels of bad (backtracking/fetch quests at bests, and the absolute worst kinds of grinding/obtuseness at worst), but I still felt compelled to clear all the ones I came across (must have missed a few in the beginning, because I'm at 98% completion). Most of them fleshed out the melancholy world of the game in interesting ways. I love the game's bold willingness to buck convention with its characters and plot arc. It's definitely not afraid to hold a mirror up to the player and make them reflect on what they're trying to achieve. And when the game wants to mix things up or ramp up the intensity, it pretty much always works.

It's a rough game in a lot of ways, and I don't think I can ever forgive the fishing and farming quests, but it was worth playing. Few games are as ballsy.

If Ending B is as good as everyone says, then I may have to stick this one out for a few more hours and rush down those temples. Though at this point, I think I'm already sick of climbing up Lost Shrine.

I hope it isn't a problem if I already acquired all the weapons...

matmanx1

Got my OST in the mail today from Play-Asia. I'm importing to iTunes as I type this and it is going to be in heavy rotation in my car for the forseeable future. Good stuff!

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
After gettig sickly tired of the horrendously boring Dragon Age, I decided to give up on it and try something else in my unplayed games rack. Started out with Alan Wake, but that seemed very much a game I could enjoy with my wife, and there aren't many of those, so I skipped that one for now. So I picked up Nier.

After half an hour, I''m in love with it. I love the music so far in this game, and the mood, the tragedy etc etc. Plays fairly well too. Looking forward to diving deeper into the game tomorrow.

I just got the game on Tuesday, and I've been enjoying it somewhat, but holy shit this seriously has the most backtracking in any game I've ever played.

Also, I was expecting more "zelda-like" dungeons, but instead I'm getting these horrible dungeon crawler/battle room ones. The level design in some of the overworld areas is decent, but these dungeons could have been dumped out of a random generator they're so boring.

I do like the combat and where the story is going though. And the music is great on first listen, but staring to grate as the loops are too short and therefore repetitive.

Definitely feels like a weird fusion of Zelda, Folklore and Deadly Premonition, only not nearly as good as any of them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Re: Backtracking in Nier.

Remember you can have as many sidequests as you want active at the same time. So I highly recommend stacking them up as that way you can get a lot of stuff done as you travel around doing the main storyline. It saves a lot of the backtracking.

Important tip:
The way quests are given out as "jobs" in the pub is a bit misleading.

The idea behind it is that rather than having to scour every town, talking to every npc you meet in order to fill your quest log you can just go in there and be directed to a specific person to speak to. Its a guide, not a bottleneck - if there are 6 "jobs" listed then all 6 quests can be started.

The only reason it limits you to one at a time, is so it can place a marker on the map to allow you to find the quest giver npc more easily.

PS. Sorry if you've already figured this out, but in all honesty its function is not explained very well in the game, and knowing this saves a lot of faffing about. :D

Yoshiya

B.K. said:
No excuses? But that old review said the game was so bad the reviewer wouldn't even give it a score! :eek:

You mean the Joystiq one? The one where the idea of a minimap perplexed the reviewer so much he stop playing entirely? :lol

The game is fantastic. If you want an RPG with a genuinely amazing storyline and the best soundtrack in years you owe it to yourself to pick it up (and then hate yourself for only paying $15 for it).

sonicmj1

1stStrike said:
I still need to finish my 2nd play through of it... I'm such a slacker.

It's worth doing. The story changes make a lot of the replaying feel less repetitive (though not Junk Heap, ugh), and really run with the revelations of the ending. It may be a little manipulative, but it works well as an incentive to play again. Knowing the full story makes the ending even better than before.

I'm not going to get Ending C/D in the near future, but I look forward to returning to the game and finishing with it for good.

Yoshiya

With today's release of the Nier Arrange album came the announcement of a Drama CD to be released in March 2011. While this is pretty irrelevant to us here, it does indicate that the fanbase in Japan is big enough to fuel these additional products and, more importantly, from what I gather from Famitsu the game's director is back to do the scenario. This is great news, as after he abruptly announced he was leaving AQ (post Cavia absorption) he said he'd love to continue making games if he's allowed to. That Square would seek him out again to continue these Nier projects I hope is a good sign they might be willing to bring him on for an eventual follow-up. Not much, but a hint of good news for fans of the game.

Yoshiya said:
With today's release of the Nier Arrange album came the announcement of a Drama CD to be released in March 2011. While this is pretty irrelevant to us here, it does indicate that the fanbase in Japan is big enough to fuel these additional products and, more importantly, from what I gather from Famitsu the game's director is back to do the scenario. This is great news, as after he abruptly announced he was leaving AQ (post Cavia absorption) he said he'd love to continue making games if he's allowed to. That Square would seek him out again to continue these Nier projects I hope is a good sign they might be willing to bring him on for an eventual follow-up. Not much, but a hint of good news for fans of the game.

Ooh, I like the sound of that. I really need to get back to playing Nier; I liked what I got through.

Also, the arrange album seems great so far. The 8-bit medley is so charming!

Yoshiya

hosannainexcelsis said:
Also, the arrange album seems great so far. The 8-bit medley is so charming!
I keep an eye on the Square Enix Music Japanese twitter feed for upcoming releases, and last night they posted a link to a live stream they were doing of the arrange album over Ustream. It was hosted at the MONACA studios, and after the album had finished (on that, I think 8-bit Heroes and The Wretched Automatons [A capella] are my favourites) Taku Yabuki did a thunderous live rendition of The Dark Colossus Destroys All. It isn't on the album, so I was pretty amazed to be hearing this being played live. A treat I wasn't expecting :lol

Played this for a few more hours last night and am really starting to enjoy it.
Just got through the desert ruin place with all the damn cube puzzles. Thought the boss was pretty cool.
I think this might become one of my favorite games because for years I have been dreaming of an RPG with multiple endings. Can't wait to see how they are implemented.

Anyway I was wondering if I should be doing all the sidequests I find. Are the rewards good, or are they skippable?

Yoshiya

GrumpyAlien said:
Anyway I was wondering if I should be doing all the sidequests I find. Are the rewards good, or are they skippable?
I didn't do that many sidequests from the first half of the game, I found I had little problem accumulating enough money and all weapons are available through shops and quests in the second half of the game (though you won't need to worry about it for a long time yet, one of the conditions for endings C and D is 100% weapon collection). The quests do have some plot to them, so go after the ones you think sound interesting.

Jonnyram

Yoshiya said:
Heh, they had to base this drama CD on Replicant alone (since Gestalt did not have Japanese voice actors). Shame they split the versions, but maybe we can convince 8-4 to work on a Gestalt version with the original voice actors?

Yoshiya

Jonnyram said:
Heh, they had to base this drama CD on Replicant alone (since Gestalt did not have Japanese voice actors). Shame they split the versions, but maybe we can convince 8-4 to work on a Gestalt version with the original voice actors?
That's a lot of localisation work, and there just isn't the market for it over here. This is another good sign though we might see more in the future.

john tv

Jonnyram said:
I wish! I'll see Yokoo-san next week so I'll ask him about it, but don't get your hopes up. Hehehe. I don't know what Nier actually sold overseas but I have to imagine the numbers weren't very high... :(

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Just got this game today for 12.99. I haven't seen any alternate versions though. Hope I enjoy it as much as I enjoy the music.

Guess the other version is Jpn only, huh.

Yoshiya

john tv said:
I wish! I'll see Yokoo-san next week so I'll ask him about it, but don't get your hopes up. Hehehe. I don't know what Nier actually sold overseas but I have to imagine the numbers weren't very high... :(
I can hope. You guys did an amazing job on it. Hopefully any future Nier projects (again, hope) are handed straight to you.

played the first hour of this last night after a friend bought it. instant love, had to go down this morning and pick up a copy.

excellent music, was suprised by some of the combat as i'd never seen any screenshots with the camera pulled so far back, but totally down with it. seems a good decision for when fighting big groups.

only thing so far that grates is the main character's fairly terrible VA (imo), which I will happily ignore.

IrishNinja

so true, follow up playthroughs shed so much light on what really went down, once you have a bit of the truth from ending A. totally worth the replays.

sad i didnt jump on the gamestop $15 deal online, i keep refreshing to see if they get the PS3 version back up.

Hydrargyrus

Finally I've saw all the endings!!

But after the ending D, you have a very weird feeling...

One thing I've noticed:
After seeing the ending D, if you make another game, you can't choose the same name for the character

And other thing
I wish I could read more about the project Gestalt...

IrishNinja

you get to see how things went down from other perspectives. makes you feel like you're only seeing one side of the story on your first playthrough.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Reposting link for great justice.

Grimoire Nier Translation Project

Everything you need to know, so obviously totally spoilerific. Best read after seeing both A and B endings.

Which it has to be said, should be mandatory: Until you've been through the second time, you haven't seen the best stuff the game has to offer.

Sinople

john tv said:

Simple curiosity, do you know who was in charge of the European languages translation?

So, uh

What the shit

I decided to pop this game in for an hour today, thinking I'd not like it and would stop quickly, and it's nearly 2 fucking AM

I am utterly enamored with this game's atmosphere. So much that I am willing to overlook so many other things about it.

Wow. Nier caught me by surprise in a way games usually don't these days.

1stStrike

Banned
I bought the 15 nightmares album today :D

@ShockingAlberto: Glad to hear it! The game is truly a rare gem that was overlooked by many. The end of part 1 is going to blow your mind.

Volcynika

Yeah, good to hear more people enjoying it. Make sure to get at least Ending B after you finish it, adds a LOT to what you already know.

Top Bottom