• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

eLZhi said:
Just get the DLC and change Kaine's outfit. Problem solved. She'll still be skimpily dressed, but at least it's not lingerie. Though, I for one had no issues with her outfit, as ridiculous as it was.
I've only rented Nier, so I didn't see much use in getting the DLC at the time. I'll definitely have to get it when I buy the game. Young Nier is so much better looking than Old Nier. Kaine's alternate outfit is somewhat an improvement.

ShockingAlberto said:
I think I liked old main character better than the younger one.

The father/daughter dynamic works so well.
I like the father/daughter dynamic as well, but Old Nier just looks so weird. Between his baffling outfit and awkward hairstyle, he isn't pleasing on the eyes. Also Nier being able to run so fast in sandals looks weird as well. Though I guess it isn't any weirder than Kaine moving so fast in high heels. -_-

1stStrike

Banned
Just finished my second play through to get ending B. Was definitely a trip. I really liked the little surprise at the end after the credits. Wasn't expecting that!

I decided that that's it for me though. I'm watching endings C and D on youtube. Just don't have it in me to grind :p

And for my next game, I'll be playing Valkyrie Profile!

So I have this game and haven't had time to start it yet, but can't wait. I noticed that there's the DLC (Recycled Vessel) for it. Is it worth it to get if I care more about story/characters than upgrades or costumes? And if it is, is there a best time to play it (like after a certain ending) in relation to the game?

1stStrike

Banned
Mr. E. Yis said:
So I have this game and haven't had time to start it yet, but can't wait. I noticed that there's the DLC (Recycled Vessel) for it. Is it worth it to get if I care more about story/characters than upgrades or costumes? And if it is, is there a best time to play it (like after a certain ending) in relation to the game?

You can play the DLC at any time. It takes place in "the world of the recycled vessel" and is in the past, so it doesn't have any affect on the current story. You will want to level up, though. Even at lvl 34 it's still pretty tough in some spots. I was doing the 3rd part of it today, got down to this last boss on a narrow bridge, and got killed by some death ray cannon shit :lol

There are rare items and weapon rewards in this DLC as well, and the weapons are pretty cool, so it's worth doing. The music is awesome too!

So, yeah, definitely get it and play it.

ninj4junpei said:
I like the father/daughter dynamic as well, but Old Nier just looks so weird. Between his baffling outfit and awkward hairstyle, he isn't pleasing on the eyes. Also Nier being able to run so fast in sandals looks weird as well. Though I guess it isn't any weirder than Kaine moving so fast in high heels. -_-

How far did you get in the game?

Spoilers:
Nier's masked outfit that he wears after 5 years have passed is badass.

So new game+ is really changing my view of the story.

I went from really sympathizing with the main character and wanting him to succeed to viewing him as those traumatized, overzealous father that is lashing out violently against those he perceives to have taken his daughter. He's lost and he only has meaning in the quest and murder.

This is a really, really brilliant use of new game+.

ShockingAlberto said:

I went from really sympathizing with the main character and wanting him to succeed to viewing him as those traumatized, overzealous father that is lashing out violently against those he perceives to have taken his daughter. He's lost and he only has meaning in the quest and murder.

It didn't take until the second playthrough for me to have that opinion of him. :\
From the beginning I thought Nier was psychotic. He kills anything that gets in his way, like the brute he is. I have more sympathy for the Shadowlord than him.

Concept17

So...just got this game the other day. Pretty weird but it is keeping me entertained about 5 and a half hours in.

I have one question: Should I be selling all the stuff I'm looting or hold on to it? I have a bunch of cultivation items and all the metal stuff from the junk heap...and stuff like broken pottery, etc.. Will these items come in use later or should I just sell it all?

ShockingAlberto said:

the massive shift in perspective on the story/game world in new game+ is amazing. wait until the junk heap if you haven't done it already.

beepy and the orphaned shade almost brought me to tears.

Concept17 said:
So...just got this game the other day. Pretty weird but it is keeping me entertained about 5 and a half hours in.

I have one question: Should I be selling all the stuff I'm looting or hold on to it? I have a bunch of cultivation items and all the metal stuff from the junk heap...and stuff like broken pottery, etc.. Will these items come in use later or should I just sell it all?
if you intend on upgrading weapons you'll need the majority of those items. however the game can be completed without ever upgrading a weapon, its more for completionists/achievement hunters.

Concept17

Rabbitwork said:
if you intend on upgrading weapons you'll need the majority of those items. however the game can be completed without ever upgrading a weapon, its more for completionists/achievement hunters.

k thanks

How the hell do you catch fish in this game? I get it on the lure, but as soon as I do that I lose it. I try moving in the opposite direction and he just loses it every.fucking.time.

Concept17 said:
k thanks

How the hell do you catch fish in this game? I get it on the lure, but as soon as I do that I lose it. I try moving in the opposite direction and he just loses it every.fucking.time.
The in-game explanation is crap and completely misleading. This is from a guide.
Odds are, you tried to tackle the fishing game on your own at first, and odds are you absolutely hated it. Thing is, the in-game explanation for how to fish is absolute garbage. Forget it. Nier's fishing game is deceptively simple--almost too simple.

Here's what you're doing: you press cross (or A) to cast your line. Don't worry, it's not supposed to go very far and you can't alter the distance. Watch the tip of the fishing pole. It will bob up and down a few times. Wait for it to bend down further than normal, and press cross--and hold it. You are now reeling the fish in. This is where things get tricky: the fish will swim from side to side. The protagonist will automatically move his body in the opposite direction of the fish--you cannot control which way he moves. What you need to do is to pull the move the left analog stick along the exact same angle as his body. If the protagonist is standing still, pull down. If he's pulling to the left, you pull to the left, and vis versa.

The red bar at the bottom is the tension meter. So long as it's red and making that lovely clicking sound, you're doing fine. If it turns yellow, you no longer have the analog stick in precisely the right location--shift it until it turns red again to reel in the fish.

Concept17

ninj4junpei said:
The in-game explanation is crap and completely misleading. This is from a guide.

Thanks, was just looking it up. Amazing how terrible the explanation in the game is. Just caught three fish in a row after this lol.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There's a nice little shoutout to Nier on X-Play's GOTY feedback show (about 35 mins in), even if the best soundtrack gong went to Epic Mickey.

Kudos for commenting on the value of Nier's NG+ too.

Here's what you're doing: you press cross (or A) to cast your line. Don't worry, it's not supposed to go very far and you can't alter the distance. Watch the tip of the fishing pole. It will bob up and down a few times. Wait for it to bend down further than normal, and press cross--and hold it. You are now reeling the fish in. This is where things get tricky: the fish will swim from side to side. The protagonist will automatically move his body in the opposite direction of the fish--you cannot control which way he moves. What you need to do is to pull the move the left analog stick along the exact same angle as his body. If the protagonist is standing still, pull down. If he's pulling to the left, you pull to the left, and vis versa.

Not entirely correct: when the fish bites (pole dips further than normal) you DON'T need to press any buttons. Just pull back on the left stick.

You can press A/X if you like, it will have the same effect, but holding A/X down while you fish is definitely not required.

Alright, beat it with ending B.

Is there any reason for me to get ending C and D, because that's kind of asking a tall order when I already have such a big backlog.

Overall, I really liked the game. Part of it may be lowered expectations, but it has a bewitching quality. Nier very well may have been the right game at the right time, but I'm not really questioning it. So much of our opinions on any sort of subjective consumption ultimately boils down to how we personally feel at the time, no matter how hard we pretend to be objective taskmasters otherwise.

I liked Nier. Maybe I shouldn't have, don't care about that now. The game I played, I enjoyed. The story had me viewing it from opposite perspectives back and forth and eventually I settled on some variation of a pox on both their houses.

I wouldn't recommend the game to everyone, but if you happen to be an exact clone of me, you might like it a lot.

Mr_Appleby said:
Not entirely correct: when the fish bites (pole dips further than normal) you DON'T need to press any buttons. Just pull back on the left stick.

You can press A/X if you like, it will have the same effect, but holding A/X down while you fish is definitely not required.
Pull down on the stick. Trust me, this works every time. When the main character moves to his right, roll the (still pulled down) analog stick to the right a little. Down center for when he's center, down left for when he's left. Just do this and you win.

Diebuster

ShockingAlberto said:
Is there any reason for me to get ending C and D, because that's kind of asking a tall order when I already have such a big backlog.

They're worth it, but if you only want to do one, go for D.
Back-up your save though.

Ended up Youtubing the C and D endings and then my mind went in to "Let's analyze the story!" mode

so

Near (hehe) as I can tell, the entire problem started in modern times when a Dragon fell to the earth and started bleeding the black scrawl over the world. This is mentioned in Nier's wife's journal (who I guess was a shell that somehow managed to start getting her memories back and died because that wasn't supposed to happen). The memory tree also mentions all the things that had happened, but can't quite remember the dragon crashing to the earth.

The Grimoire Nier indicates that Japan nuked the Shinjuku to try and destroy the black scrawl, but the impact ended up spreading it to every corner of the world. I am guessing the whole dragon thing came from Drakengard?

ShockingAlberto said:
Ended up Youtubing the C and D endings and then my mind went in to "Let's analyze the story!" mode

so

Near (hehe) as I can tell, the entire problem started in modern times when a Dragon fell to the earth and started bleeding the black scrawl over the world. This is mentioned in Nier's wife's journal (who I guess was a shell that somehow managed to start getting her memories back and died because that wasn't supposed to happen). The memory tree also mentions all the things that had happened, but can't quite remember the dragon crashing to the earth.

The Grimoire Nier indicates that Japan nuked the Shinjuku to try and destroy the black scrawl, but the impact ended up spreading it to every corner of the world. I am guessing the whole dragon thing came from Drakengard?
This is the Drakengard ending that ties into the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIYqEcS5asM (Spoilers, obviously.) Hearing about the connection between the games really intrigued, so I decided to try out Drakengard. It hasn't aged well at all. :\

Haunted

Trying to avoid all the endgame spoilers in here, so just a quick drive-by:

wowowow!
  • Boar drifting!
  • Zelda references!
  • Resident Evil homage mansion!
  • 2D plane and isometric levels!
  • I really dig Facade's design!

On the flip side...
  • Pathetic comes from pathos, and so much of the dialogue in Nier is both!
  • bog-standard story is not really keeping me interested in what happens to these people!
  • fetch quests have evolved beyond mere padding and are now deep into ridiculous/lazy territory:
- fuck you, old fisherman guy!
- 10 Titanium Alloys, and ~30 materials total just for one quest?!
- getting sent around for no reason in the desert city for another!​
  • jesus christ her design is still so bad. I mean, I can see what you guys are saying. They wrote her so she wants to show her feminine side, she wants to flaunt her gender etc. etc. That's all nice and dandy, but there's ways of making a female characters sexy without descending into shitty Japanese fan wankery. Her design is indefensible.

I'm still liking it, but it doesn't look like it's going to follow up on the promising start and stay merely "good". For now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You shoulda spoilered them things Haunted!

Anyways, I got the game sealed at GS for 15. Will play later today after work!

Below me, I got the PS3 version at GS.

1stStrike

Banned
Eh, just don't bother with the side quests and you'll enjoy yourself more. There were a couple cool ones later on though where you had to kill some really powerful shades. They'd spawn with a bunch of other baddies and you'd have a bit of combat (one is by the mansion and the other is near the bridge on the plain).

My least favorite part of the game is actually the junk yard. A lot of people seem to like it, but I always dreaded having to run around in that place.

Also, for a bit of nostalgia:

480px-Devola_%26_Popola.jpg

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Haunted said:
[*]fetch quests have evolved beyond mere padding and are now deep into ridiculous/lazy territory: [/LIST]
- fuck you, old fisherman guy!
- 10 Titanium Alloys, and ~30 materials total just for one quest?!
- getting sent around for no reason in the desert city for another!​
I'm still liking it, but it doesn't look like it's going to follow up on the promising start and stay merely "good". For now.
I ignored the vast majority of side quests for that reason. Such lazy and terrible design, where it's actually offensive to the player. It doesn't even try to hide it that some of them are up and straight grinds. Upgrading weapons falls right into the same category too.

It's exactly as ShockingAlberto said. Its a game that I wouldn't recommended to everyone, and it's qualities are hard to pin down.
On the story, it feels like shit just happens sometimes. This is actually solved a bit with playthrough B. But it's like they decided they have to have another quick emotion moment here or there. Dialog swings both ways too, sometimes it's fantastic, other times it's bad. Weiss is fantastic all the way through.

Gameplay again is a mix bag. It's pretty shallow. You never really change up smashing your normal attack to charged ones. Through in the same 2 or 3 magic spells. You'll plow through everything without any difficulty. But they keep it pretty fresh by limiting it, and giving you some pretty unique encounters by blending it well with puzzles.

The game is exactly that though. It does a lot right and a lot of it very uniquely, but also has some pretty offensive parts to the player.

Durante

Haunted said:
  • bog-standard story is not really keeping me interested in what happens to these people!
If you still think the story is bog-standard after you finish the game then tell me what else you've been playing recently, I'd love to play other games with that standard of story!

Also, in terms of dialog I felt like the good massively outweighed the bad. And I didn't particularly notice Kaine's choice of clothes after the first 5 minutes, except when Weiss made fun of it.

Haunted

Have I already mentioned that the weird decision to have some enemies spout bullet hell patterns
(like seriously, big red balls straight out of a shmup)
somehow works? It boggles the mind and is awesome at the same time. :lol

shintoki said:
I ignored the vast majority of side quests for that reason. Such lazy and terrible design, where it's actually offensive to the player. It doesn't even try to hide it that some of them are up and straight grinds. Upgrading weapons falls right into the same category too.

It's exactly as ShockingAlberto said. Its a game that I wouldn't recommended to everyone, and it's qualities are hard to pin down.
On the story, it feels like shit just happens sometimes. This is actually solved a bit with playthrough B. But it's like they decided they have to have another quick emotion moment here or there. Dialog swings both ways too, sometimes it's fantastic, other times it's bad. Weiss is fantastic all the way through.

Gameplay again is a mix bag. It's pretty shallow. You never really change up smashing your normal attack to charged ones. Through in the same 2 or 3 magic spells. You'll plow through everything without any difficulty. But they keep it pretty fresh by limiting it, and giving you some pretty unique encounters by blending it well with puzzles.

The game is exactly that though. It does a lot right and a lot of it very uniquely, but also has some pretty offensive parts to the player.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with a lot of this. I'm enjoying the gameplay and the setting much more than the story or the characters, though. Weiss is clearly the best character in the game for me. His quips and voice acting are top. :D

But keep in mind that I'm still far from through with this game, and from what I gather, I won't be able to properly talk about the game's story until at least a second run through.

If you still think the story is bog-standard after you finish the game then tell me what else you've been playing recently, I'd love to play other games with that standard of story!.
I'll be sure to do that when I'm done!

But so far it's really pretty standard jRPG fare.
Monsters invade the peaceful town! Set out to find the X talismans shards verses to defeat the evil overlord intent of destroying the world! Save everyone, including your close family member! I'm sure there will be heroic sacrifices and tearful goodbyes at some point.

BUT I'm not far enough yet to really talk about it, there's still hope if they can salvage some of the intrigue they managed to hint at with the prologue.

Re: the story

As I said in another thread, Haunted, you need to play more. Your assumptions aren't quite right.

I spent last night reading a bunch of extended stuff about the story (since there's some questions the game just leaves blank) because there's a part where cliche becomes confusing and confusing becomes clear and clear becomes intriguing.

Durante

Haunted said:
But so far it's really pretty standard jRPG fare.
Monsters invade the peaceful town! Set out to find the X talismans shards verses to defeat the evil overlord intent of destroying the world! Save everyone, including your close family member! I'm sure there will be heroic sacrifices and tearful goodbyes at some point.
Yeah, I can see how it would look that way at that point in the game. Looking forward to hear your opinion when you've finished it. And when you've finished it again.

Haunted

Cool, cool. Your replies have me intrigued, good sirs. I'll refrain from posting more about the story until I know what's actually up.

Haunted

After hearing most (I assume) of the music, I can definitely understand the SOTY nominations.

The song that plays in The Aerie is pretty amazing.

re: the story
- yeah yeah, I know what I said yesterday, get off my back. :p

I mean, I do have my suspicions/theories, but there needs to be an insanely good twist somewhere down the line to make me do a 180 on this. Like, Shattered Memories level of good.
Because whether or not the dad and Yonah are actually real, or whether Dad's doppleganger Shadowlord and his Shades are actually the good guys trying to stop Dad, or whatever is going to be revealed at the end - for the time I've played so far, it still made me go through a standard jRPG plot.

All right, my girlfriend just got this game and started it up last night. I've been watching out of the corner of my eye. Boar being harder to kill than a boss = :lol

Haunted

timetokill said:
All right, my girlfriend just got this game and started it up last night. I've been watching out of the corner of my eye. Boar being harder to kill than a boss = :lol
Don't mess with the boar!

One of the cool things about this game is that it lets you tackle a couple enemies earlier than you probably actually should, and you end up just chipping away at their health for a time... but you can totally defeat them, if you perservere. The game is fair, the game lets you know that you're probably not ready for this guy, but you can still try and do it anyway. (And I did kill the boar the first time I went out into the plains. Took a good while! :D)

Haunted said:
Don't mess with the boar!

One of the cool things about this game is that it lets you tackle a couple enemies earlier than you probably actually should, and you end up just chipping away at their health for a time... but you can totally defeat them, if you perservere. The game is fair, the game lets you know that you're probably not ready for this guy, but you can still try and do it anyway. (And I did kill the boar the first time I went out into the plains. Took a good while! :D)

Can you dodge it? She kept trying to dodge and it would just barrel right through anyway :lol

Haunted

timetokill said:
Can you dodge it? She kept trying to dodge and it would just barrel right through anyway :lol
You can evade with RT at the right time, yeah. Or stay close to a rock and let the boar run into it to get some hits in. But the tactic I used in my first fight was to stay real close and use the RT + Stick towards an enemy move to roll behind it constantly, making it ground pound, which is easily avoided.

Haunted

Sash said:
Isn't it easier to just let the boar run into rock while you're standing on it? I could never get to dodge it :lol
If only the boar knew how to drift without you riding it. It'd be unbeatable.

Sash said:
Isn't it easier to just let the boar run into rock while you're standing on it? I could never get to dodge it :lol
I didn't stand on the rock, I just stood in a straight line in front of the boar with the rock between us

He'll hit it, I'll slash him a few times and use a spell, then run back behind the rock. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Haunted

Ok, just finished the first Ending
which didn't explain shit.
Well, not really, but I feel there's more to come.

A quick reflection, my favourite parts of the game were
Gideon's development and the Facade wedding/wolf business. I've always disliked the Hollywood tendency of forced happy endings, so any kind of story (be it film or games) which defies this and isn't afraid of showing some unhappy events characters have to deal with, get a plus in my book.

I like Nier. I don't hold it in such high regard as some others here, but I won't dismiss it as a garbage title as some have done, either. It sometimes feels like Zelda (especially the bosses and the Plains/Overworld), and I was reminded of Folklore numerous times as well (mostly with Emil's design, the Forest of Myth design and the Masked people), which is a good thing. It has solid gameplay foundations. Each time they switch up the mechanics, they work just as well, which is quite a feat. It does some great things, and is deeply flawed in other parts. I think I can see why it has a small, but devoted following.

I'm totally ready to rush through the New Game+ right now, which is also a good sign.
Or shows that the ending could've revealed a bit more. While it doesn't excuse most of the standard plot, it does cast some of the things Dad has done over the course of the game in a new light. I think they did a great job making clear that he is getting increasingly obsessed and cruel towards Shades during the second part of the game. I do hope the additional content of New Game+ continues this development.

Also, a related question: do the enemies scale up for New Game + or am I going to be able to one-shot everything now? :D

Haunted

Oh, and the boss fights deserve a special mention as well. Really well done in design, modelling, gameplay, everything.

Really liked them. This is where many of the Zelda/Folklore similarities came to mind.

Does the DLC come with a costume to change Nier into the young version throughout the whole game? Or is it just in the dedicated DLC section?

Ending A makes negative sense. I think people think it makes more sense than it actually did because they have those other endings in their mind.

But it's half the story. You can rush through to Ending B in an hour or two (especially if you have some strong weapons - Phoenix Spear helps a ton). Get ending B, youtube endings C and D, and come back here to fill in the gaps.

Part of the thing with Nier is that it is the story of Yonah and Nier
and Yonah and Nier the Shades
, so a lot of the world twists aren't really focused on.
Nier doesn't care. He only cares about Yonah. Project Gestalt, Weiss, Popola and Devola, they matter, but not nearly as much as Yonah. Once the King of Facade and Emil died, he realized that there was an actual human toll for what he's doing.

Edit: All spoilers are from ending A.

Haunted

ShockingAlberto said:
Ending A makes negative sense. I think people think it makes more sense than it actually did because they have those other endings in their mind.
You mean that it makes more sense to people who have seen the other endings? I think it provides some sense and hints at what's going on.
You have the twins telling you shit, also the doppleganger interaction and you also get those documents who mention Project Gestalt, so technically, I guess the last dungeon tells you more about the story than the ending itself.

ShockingAlberto said:
But it's half the story. You can rush through to Ending B in an hour or two (especially if you have some strong weapons - Phoenix Spear helps a ton). Get ending B, youtube endings C and D, and come back here to fill in the gaps.

Part of the thing with Nier is that it is the story of Yonah and Nier
and Yonah and Nier the Shades
, so a lot of the world twists aren't really focused on.
Nier doesn't care. He only cares about Yonah. Project Gestalt, Weiss, Popola and Devola, they matter, but not nearly as much as Yonah. Once the King of Facade and Emil died, he realized that there was an actual human toll for what he's doing.

Edit: All spoilers are from ending A.
Wait, Dad's name is Nier?

Mind blown.

Yeah, I'm totally rushing through this second playthrough, just did the Lost Shrine in mere minutes by running past all enemies. Things would go even faster if I could skip cutscenes, but I caught
Tyrann
saying stuff during a cutscene I've seen before (btw, the
berserker Kaine fight
is another one of these moments where they nailed the writing when it really counted).

edit: man, they're really going all out
showing that the shades are human, huh. The kid in the junk heap might even be laying it on a bit much.
:lol

I like how they're using this New Game+, though.

Top Bottom