• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Augemitbutter said:
did you read....

the documents you got before the final fight against devola and popola? the next playthrough will give you more insight.
I did read those. They made no sense to me.
I need someone to explain them.

1stStrike

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I'm writing the GOTY list right now for the site I write for and...goddamnit, I'm really considering Nier for it.

My main hesitation is that it's so fresh in my mind, I don't know if that's coloring my perception.

Like....any of it. From the moment
Devola and Popola uttered the words "Project Gestalt" to anything until I hit save game.

That's pretty broad dude... I think maybe you should have payed better attention to the story. Maybe go back and watch the ending on youtube or something.

When you first start the game you're playing as the final boss before he became a shadow. His daughter dies, and he brings her back inside of Yonah. Yonah feels bad for the girl and sacrifices herself by going into the sunlight (shadows are weak to the sun, remember?). So, Yonah goes back to normal, though obviously she's older now as it's been years since she was taken.

Both Devola and Popola aren't human, btw. They're androids from back when the original humans were still alive.

My explanation isn't the best, and I missed some stuff, but yeah... I ended the game not being confused at all.

ShockingAlberto said:

you're not supposed to understand everything after one playthrough anyway, come back after you see the next ending.

sonicmj1

ShockingAlberto said:

Long ago, a disease struck modern Earth. This disease either killed people or turned them into bloodthirsty monsters. Nobody was immune from this disease, and it threatened to wipe out humanity completely.

In a last-ditch effort to save humanity, an experimental project called Project Gestalt was undertaken. This separated people's souls from their bodies so that they'd be safe from the disease (they are Gestalts), and created replacement bodies (Replicants) that the Gestalts would be returned to once the disease had been eradicated. Every human you meet in the game is a Replicant (the protagonist included) with the exception of Devola and Popola, who are androids created to oversee the Project. Every Shade you encounter is a Gestalt.

Unfortunately, there were flaws in the Gestalt-creation process, and over time, these Gestalt went feral. This damaged the population of both Gestalts and Replicants, imperiling the survival of humanity. With the disease eradicated, Devola and Popola encouraged the protagonist to find Grimoire Weiss and the Sealed Verses so that he and Noir could be merged and all the Gestalt could be returned to their Replicant bodies.

Important things to realize from this:

-Replicants cannot reproduce. All Replicants have lived for over a thousand years. Their sentience, however, is a relatively recent phenomenon.
-All Shades are human souls.

The actual quasi-historical jargon babble is pretty ridiculous, but the revelations about you and your relationship to your antagonists are important, and the implications of those revelations are explored over the course of New Game+.

Alright, I'll work through new game+ and then go back and highlight these things.

I didn't feel like I was missing anything, just that revelations came out of nowhere.

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm writing the GOTY list right now for the site I write for and...goddamnit, I'm really considering Nier for it.

My main hesitation is that it's so fresh in my mind, I don't know if that's coloring my perception.
Add it to the list. By the time you finish Ending B, I guarantee it will be your GOTY and it will stay that way.

ShockingAlberto said:
Alright, I'll work through new game+ and then go back and highlight these things.

I didn't feel like I was missing anything, just that revelations came out of nowhere.
You are in for a treat when you start your second play-through. :) Just make sure you have a decent chunk of time ready before you start it, because you'll need it.

1stStrike

Banned
greenjerk said:
The Replicant import is still $70+, i didn't see the differences between the NA version listed in the OP, anyone clue me in?

In the NA version Nier is an older man and has a daughter - in the Japanese version Nier is younger and has a sister. Pretty much the only real differences so far as I know.

todahawk

1stStrike said:
In the NA version Nier is an older man and has a daughter - in the Japanese version Nier is younger and has a sister. Pretty much the only real differences so far as I know.

Cool, thanks man.
How's Vindictus going? That's on my list to try out.

1stStrike

Banned
greenjerk said:
Cool, thanks man.
How's Vindictus going? That's on my list to try out.

I haven't been playing it much since I don't really have any friends to play it with atm. I've just been sticking to AC: Brotherhood and Netflix lately.

Got a few single player games I need to go through, which should take me up to the release of KZ3, and then I'll be jamming in the MP for that.

todahawk

1stStrike said:
I haven't been playing it much since I don't really have any friends to play it with atm. I've just been sticking to AC: Brotherhood and Netflix lately.

Got a few single player games I need to go through, which should take me up to the release of KZ3, and then I'll be jamming in the MP for that.

Yeah, I saw you playing AC:Bro, I still have to finish AC2 and a bunch of others! :lol

Once the semester is over I plan on catching up with my backlog. BC2:Vietnam is coming out, the ps3 gaf gang is still playing a lot.

ninj4junpei said:
I wouldn't even wish that on my enemies.

i did the sardines one, and the blowfish one, and then checked my uncompleteable quests list and saw i had one in there. At the mere sight of it uncontrollable waves of OCD toxin flooded my system and forced a reload. I reckon i ended up going about 3.5hrs back , and had to do the fishing quests again. i will say they get easier with practice.
and drugs.

1stStrike

Banned
greenjerk said:
Yeah, I saw you playing AC:Bro, I still have to finish AC2 and a bunch of others! :lol

Once the semester is over I plan on catching up with my backlog. BC2:Vietnam is coming out, the ps3 gaf gang is still playing a lot.

Yeah, I plan on grabbing Vietnam. I'll start up BC2 again once it comes out :D

Mr_Appleby said:
i did the sardines one, and the blowfish one, and then checked my uncompleteable quests list and saw i had one in there. At the mere sight of it uncontrollable waves of OCD toxin flooded my system and forced a reload. I reckon i ended up going about 3.5hrs back , and had to do the fishing quests again. i will say they get easier with practice.
and drugs.

Holy shit dude... you're my idol. I could never do that.

john tv said:
You guys who have been praising Nier over the past year are awesome. I was out tonight with the game's creator (Taro Yoko) and one of the main planners, Nao Hakumoto, and I specifically told them about you (NeoGAF) and how much you've been supporting the game. Needless to say, they were really thankful and humbled. :)

5aom0w.jpg

BTW, just in case you haven't heard it yet, this 8-Bit remix of Nier music from the 15 Nightmares soundtrack is AMAZING: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h7HjSkAOeM

Awesome :D

1stStrike said:
Holy shit dude... you're my idol. I could never do that.

It went heaps faster the second time since I knew what I was doing.. eg sardines first run i used about 40 bait to get 10. second it was 15.

the best bit about doing all the sidequests is Weiss bitching about it :D

Haunted

Initial impressions after playing for 2 hours. (Lvl 7, just arrived at Seafront and fished that Shaman Fish).

Game is gud.

• main character design is good - we need more ugly protagonists in games
  • enemy design and modelling is good, especially the bosses
  • the controls aren't janky, they're responsive
    yeah ok the jumping is janky, shut up
  • the combat system is accessible and immediate with its seamless mix of ranged and melee attacks
  • this seems to be a pretty interesting world they've built there, I can see where the "feels like Zelda" sentiments are coming from
  • I also like the book's voice
  • I absolutely love the soundtrack so far (we need more music with lyrics in games!) - even though I found it's almost overbearing at times, so it's perfect when lowered a tad from the default

Negatives...
  • outfit/design of Kaine is unbelievably shitty, totally embarrassing
  • some technical issues here and there (textures, animations)
  • strange tutorial priorities, sometimes explaining too much, sometimes explaining too little
  • I can already tell that this game will be padded with lots of fetch quests if the first area is any indication :lol
  • seriously, Kaine's design is so bad, I can't get over it

Game is already better than FFXIII, I just started and already visited two HD towns.

Haunted

ShockingAlberto said:

Definitely try and get some more distance between yourself and the game (and the list) before you submit it. Even the best writers and reviewers are affected by this.

It's always better that way, even if you just end up confirming your initial decision.

leroidys

Haunted said:
Initial impressions after playing for 2 hours. (Lvl 7, just arrived at Seafront and fished that Shaman Fish).

Game is gud.

• main character design is good - we need more ugly protagonists in games
  • enemy design and modelling is good, especially the bosses
  • the controls aren't janky, they're responsive
    yeah ok the jumping is janky, shut up
  • the combat system is accessible and immediate with its seamless mix of ranged and melee attacks
  • this seems to be a pretty interesting world they've built there, I can see where the "feels like Zelda" sentiments are coming from
  • I also like the book's voice
  • I absolutely love the soundtrack so far (we need more music with lyrics in games!) - even though I found it's almost overbearing at times, so it's perfect when lowered a tad from the default

Negatives...
  • some technical issues here and there (textures, animations)
  • strange tutorial priorities, sometimes explaining too much, sometimes explaining too little
  • I can already tell that this game will be padded with lots of fetch quests if the first area is any indication :lol

Game is already better than FFXIII, I just started and already visited two HD towns.

Yeah I can't get over her outfit either. I mean, what the fuck. It doesn't fit in at all with the world. It's just totally stupid.

shaowebb

Just bought this yesterday on a whim, and I am seriously blown away.

I can't believe how good this game feels to play. It's like Castlevania made love to Zelda while listening to the soundtrack of Shadow of the Colossus.

I wish more people knew things about the actual game than the fact that it has a hermaphrodite in it.

Haunted

slaughterking said:
The game itself is pretty aware of Kaines funny outfit, though. :lol
Actually putting it into the game is crossing the line and mitigates all self-awareness and comments other characters might offer on its ridiculousness.

I wouldn't even allow that shit left somewhere in the debug code. And order the character artist to burn all sketches.

Haunted said:
Actually putting it into the game is crossing the line and mitigates all self-awareness and comments other characters might offer on its ridiculousness.

I wouldn't even allow that shit left somewhere in the debug code. And order the character artist to burn all sketches.
I don't know. It's a remarkably bold outfit for sure, but I never thought much of it (in one way or another). I guess her foul mouth was just too distraction and by the time she calmed down I got already used to it. :lol

Haunted

slaughterking said:
I don't know. It's a remarkably bold outfit for sure, but I never thought much of it (in one way or another). I guess her foul mouth was just too distraction and by the time she calmed down I got already used to it. :lol
I said burn the sketches and all their physical copies.

But enough of this, it's distracting me from the overall point I wanted to make: GAF hasn't let me down, the game is good, I want to play more. :D

On the subject of cussing, I did like the opening moments of the game - I haven't had a game greet me with such a tirade in a while. :lol

Nekobo

I bought into the GAF hype and picked up the game after reading the GOTY thread. It does look a bit dated, but the story has me hooked so far. Kaine's intro tirade is pretty hilarious, too. Also...

ShockingAlberto said:
But man, the first time I heard Devola sing and walked away as the song got slowly quieter, I melted a little. Games don't do that to me anymore.

This. I actually stopped playing to listen to the song a few times. I love evocative game soundtracks.

Durante

Haunted said:
GAF hasn't let me down, the game is good, I want to play more. :D
Told you :D

Haunted said:
* the controls aren't janky, they're responsive yeah ok the jumping is janky, shut up
* the combat system is accessible and immediate with its seamless mix of ranged and melee attacks
Agreed. Some fans of the game say that it's all about the story and music, and I agree that they are the highlights, but I also found it genuinely fun in terms of gameplay. I particularly enjoyed whenever it started to mix up the camera or control style.

Haunted

Durante said:
Told you :D

Agreed. Some fans of the game say that it's all about the story and music, and I agree that they are the highlights, but I also found it genuinely fun in terms of gameplay. I particularly enjoyed whenever it started to mix up the camera or control style.
:)

Yeah, the simple transition to a 2D plane inside houses is just stylish. Epic Mickey does that, too and I like it there as well.

Haunted said:
Negatives...
Amen. Seriously, I don't know what the frak the character designer was thinking. Her design does its best to undermine her character.

I am not a fan of Kaine's outfit, but I understand it.
She self-identifies as a woman and her grandmother always told her how beautiful she was. So she overcompensates greatly by accentuating her sexuality.

ShockingAlberto said:
I am not a fan of Kaine's outfit, but I understand it.
She self-identifies as a woman and her grandmother always told her how beautiful she was. So she overcompensates greatly by accentuating her sexuality.
I can understand that reasoning, but
she is someone out for revenge. In the beginning of the game, her sole reason for living was to avenge her grandmother. She should have been dressed appropriately for that task. I highly doubt flaunting her sexuality was a big priority for her, as well as showing off her uniqueness.
I highly doubt the designer had some deeper meaning for why she is dressed like that. They just wanted to make something with sex appeal. More importantly, where the frak would she even find lingerie like that in the world of Nier? The character designer can make nice looking people (with Nier being the exception), but completely fails when it comes to designing outfits. I spent the whole game trying to figure out what the hell Nier was wearing too.

*stomps off to the Angry Dome*

1stStrike

Banned
I finally started my new game+ today. Just finished the wolves, and so far this play through I went from "Man, poor Nier" to "Fucking Nier!"

Haunted said:
Definitely try and get some more distance between yourself and the game (and the list) before you submit it. Even the best writers and reviewers are affected by this.

It's always better that way, even if you just end up confirming your initial decision.

I actually think the longer you don't play Nier, the more fondly you think on it. Mainly because you tend to forget the bad stuff, like that terrible opening and the fishing bit and the shoddy platforming other instances of bad design. And then you spend the best part of a week with the soundtrack on constant rotation and suddenly it's in your GOTY list.

i actually ended up REALLY enjoying the fishing for some reason. if they make a sequel i'd like to see that aspect of it expanded slightly. by the time i caught the rhizodont i actually realized i'd miss doing it.

The deal with Kaine's outfit goes something like this:

Kaine gave up a good portion of her body to a phantom...who happens to be male. He's a twisted individual and since she's at his mercy that means he gets to decide what she wears.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The deal with Kaine's outfit goes something like this:

Kaine gave up a good portion of her body to a phantom...who happens to be male. He's a twisted individual and since she's at his mercy that means he gets to decide what she wears.
That's a cop out, and I don't buy it. What they should have done was have her more androgynous/tomboyish in appearance at first until
the shade that killed her grandmother was defeated.
After that, she could try to embrace her feminine side, as she tries to finally move on with her life. It just pisses me off that they had the chance to do something great with her character, but they blew it. However, I shouldn't be surprised that a writer for a video game would drop the ball when trying to handle a topic like transgenderism. Also, Kaine is not a hermaphrodite, she is an intersex individual.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Durante said:
The gameplay is relatively shallow and straight forward, but it doesn't wear out it's welcome. They have enough ideas to keep it fresh(Never really branching out the ideas from the basic premise), yet they keep combat at a min and fairly quick. To prevent you from tiring out, like God of War for example.

On Kaine's outfit, it does make sense to the story. She desired to be treated as a girl instead of a monster. So she would be bound to pick something more unique compared to the rest of the females. The problem is that it's just a poorly designed outfit. Her being more seductive and less clothed makes sense. Her having Thong like hot pants, High heels, and lingerie that wraps only around the breasts was just poor design.

shintoki said:
On Kaine's outfit, it does make sense to the story. She desired to be treated as a girl instead of a monster. So she would be bound to pick something more unique compared to the rest of the females. The problem is that it's just a poorly designed outfit. Her being more seductive and less clothed makes sense. Her having Thong like hot pants, High heels, and lingerie that wraps only around the breasts was just poor design.
It doesn't make any sense for her to dress in a manner that will draw more attention to herself. It makes more sense for her to try and conform in a way, so as to not draw attention to herself and allow her to blend in better. Her sole reason for living was to seek out vengeance. She would not compromise that. However, I shouldn't be too critical of the writing in Nier, since the world of Nier doesn't exactly make a whole lot of sense to begin with.

I hadn't watched the Zero Punctuation review of this until now.
dbkav.jpg

:lol

matmanx1

Kaine's outfit is a blatant attempt at "sex sells" and really her whole character is designed to be somewhat shocking. I just sort of rolled my eyes at it and at first but in the end I accepted it because there's still so much within the game and with Kaine herself to love. After awhile I stopped seeing the ridiculous outfit and started seeing the character as she was created and really empathizing with her.

In other words, good writing and character design can overcome bad wardrobe decisions. :D

Yoshiya

shintoki said:
Like everyone here I wish Kaine was dressed more, er, reasonably, but I guess you see past it a bit once the game explores her character more throughout the game and the second arc. The
Spring colours
comment made me laugh.

It's great to see this thread appear more often and to see more people enjoying the game. :D As for the comment about liking the game more the longer it has been since you have played it, there may be some truth in that you play the second half of the game significantly longer the first. It has been weeks since I did a back half playthrough, but many months since I played the start. Maybe some of the worst design decisions were forgotten.

Edit:
matmanx1 said:
In other words, good writing and character design can overcome bad wardrobe decisions. :D
This this this.

Just get the DLC and change Kaine's outfit. Problem solved. She'll still be skimpily dressed, but at least it's not lingerie. Though, I for one had no issues with her outfit, as ridiculous as it was.

Top Bottom