• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Caelestis

eLZhi said:
I tried that. Didn't work at all. IIRC, you take damage when the boar rams the rock with you on it, and you die.
No you don't, I killed at least 3 boars like that before and I checked now just in case. May be you were using a small rock or something. o_O

Caelestis

eLZhi said:
Nope. I was on the large rock. Rammed it, knocked Nier off, and he died.
That's really strange then. The only bad thing that ever happened to me while doing this is when the boar somehow climbed on the rock.

def sim

robotzombie said:
Does the DLC come with a costume to change Nier into the young version throughout the whole game? Or is it just in the dedicated DLC section?

I'm pretty sure this is a no.

It'd be weird playing a manchild dad anyway.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
As there's been a lot of activity in the thread of late, and a few people querying the plot developments, allow me to continue shilling for the Grimoire Nier translation project.

Not that I have anything to do with it, just that I found it further enhanced my enjoyment and appreciation of the game after I'd finished.

Link in post 1791.

1stStrike

Banned
Clear said:
As there's been a lot of activity in the thread of late, and a few people querying the plot developments, allow me to continue shilling for the Grimoire Nier translation project.

Not that I have anything to do with it, just that I found it further enhanced my enjoyment and appreciation of the game after I'd finished.

Link in post 1791.

Thanks! Totally forgot about that. I'll give it a read over in the next couple of days.

The boar is so easy. Just tap whatever button you have Lance assigned to when he's about to charge and it will stun him. Melee him until he's getting ready to charge, fire a Lance, melee etc. You don't even have to move. Your magic will always be charged enough when you need it to be.

Ravidrath

Any tips for the Once and Final King trophy?

I'm on my second playthrough, but all of his attacks knock me down, which is what seems to be making the difference in beating him in time.

Maybe I haven't explored the Words thoroughly enough, but is there anyway to not get knocked down all the time?

Clear said:

Link in post 1791.
Thanks, I forgot to bookmark it the last time you posted it. :)

Ravidrath said:

I'm on my second playthrough, but all of his attacks knock me down, which is what seems to be making the difference in beating him in time.

Maybe I haven't explored the Words thoroughly enough, but is there anyway to not get knocked down all the time?

I was using a spear, so I just kept spamming Triangle over and over and I got through and got the trophy. On the other hand, I didn't get the two trophies right before that though, go figure.

Xzior

Ravidrath said:

All I did was run towards him, while jumping to avoiding the spheres, and then hit him when I was close enough.

anddo0

Finally started my second run today (so much reading).. I'm missing one weapon (it's tied to a side quest I think) to qualify for the C ending.

iammeiam

alske said:
Just got ending B. Wow. That's depressing. Is it worth it to go for C and D?

I think it really is, because it caps off one of the major unresolved arcs for the game (specifically, you get to find out what happens with
Kaine
).

You don't get any new bonus cutscenes in-game, but you should be leveled enough at this point that running back through the game to get to the end is almost trivial. C and D are also flipsides of the same choice, so you don't have to do two more runs all the way through to see both. Just make one choice, then reload your save, run through the final area/bosses again, and make the other.

noonche

iammeiam said:
I think it really is, because it caps off one of the major unresolved arcs for the game (specifically, you get to find out what happens with
Kaine
).

You don't get any new bonus cutscenes in-game, but you should be leveled enough at this point that running back through the game to get to the end is almost trivial. C and D are also flipsides of the same choice, so you don't have to do two more runs all the way through to see both. Just make one choice, then reload your save, run through the final area/bosses again, and make the other.

Ah, good to know. I doubt the game will take much more then an hour or two if I can skip the cutscenes and just power through it. WOOOT!

noonche

DR2K said:
Wait this game has multiple endings? Without spoiling, is there anything right I should be doing?

I don't think so. It's a beat it once get Ending A, new game+ it and get B. Do it again and get C or D.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
eLZhi said:
Nope. I was on the large rock. Rammed it, knocked Nier off, and he died.

When fighting the boar don't stand on the large rock; stand behind the rock.

You --> (a), the boar --> (b)

(a)

THE ROCK

^ The boar rams the rock, gets dizzy
|
|
(b)

Then quickly roll to either right or left....

Slash a couple of times before the boar gets conscious, then quickly roll back to your previous location, and watch as the boar rams the rock again and again.

Repeat.

Xilium

For the boar, you could also just alternate between a normal attack and a charged attack (2-hit combo). The charge attack should knock it down preventing it from ever using its ram attack. It's a good way to get the 50-hit/100-hit achievements/trophies if you're using a weak weapon as well.

Can anyone link me to a good podcast that talks about this game for more than like two minutes? I just spent about 20 minutes trying to find one, and I'm not coming up with anything.

GameStop's website also has it for $15 (with the option to pick it up in store), and I saw five copies sitting around at the local Kmart, so it's worth checking there as well.

Sharkington said:
GameStop's website also has it for $15 (with the option to pick it up in store), and I saw five copies sitting around at the local Kmart, so it's worth checking there as well.
I'm aware of that, but I have some Amazon gift cards now. >_< Not to mention, I wouldn't have to pay tax.

Haunted

I got sidetracked from trying to get Ending B by Castlevania and PGR4. But I've just put the disc in and I'm back to this thread. :p

timetokill said:
I just got the sudden urge to play Mario 64.

Can you guys guess which boss my girlfriend just got to? :lol
:lol

Yeah, that was a little shameless.

Haunted

Just watched Endings B/C/D (the latter two on Youtube)

Creating empathy for the Shades is so damn simple, yet extremely effective anyway. It's what I've been clamoring for more games to do. Show both sides. Create some real moral choices that way (ok, so Nier didn't really do the latter, but the setup's there). And while it does add another dimension to the proceedings, I wonder why they "hid" this in your first playthrough. I guess peeling away that layer during playthrough B (I consider C/D to mostly wrap up the Kaine and Tyrann subplot) was a conscious decision to create a relatively unique perception of the story, but I think I personally would've preferred having everything wrapped in one go through.

The way it is, though, it's interesting to observe how people's reactions and impressions (I've read through many spoilered posts in this thread now :) ) changed before and after the second playthrough.
:D

So yeah, not regretting buying this and going for two Endings. The second playthrough definitely added another layer to the story, maybe something that should've even been in the first.

I can recommend Nier to most people with an interest in any of the genres this game borrows from. It feels like a mix between Zelda and Folklore with some more traditional (A)RPG aspects thrown in - in the towns and sidequest structure, mostly. Also, one of the best soundtracks of the year, no doubt. I've already decided that it'll get an honourable mention in my GAF GOTY post for that. :D

God damn. Why does this game keep coming up? Everything about it looks horrible, but I'm getting real close to caving and heading to GameStop after work.

Is it the most bandwagon'd bad game in history, or is it really more than meets the eye?

Haunted said:
Just watched Endings B/C/D (the latter two on Youtube)

Creating empathy for the Shades is so damn simple, yet extremely effective anyway. It's what I've been clamoring for more games to do. Show both sides. Create some real moral choices that way (ok, so Nier didn't really do the latter, but the setup's there). And while it does add another dimension to the proceedings, I wonder why they "hid" this in your first playthrough. I guess peeling away that layer during playthrough B (I consider C/D to mostly wrap up the Kaine and Tyrann subplot) was a conscious decision to create a relatively unique perception of the story, but I think I personally would've preferred having everything wrapped in one go through.

The way it is, though, it's interesting to observe how people's reactions and impressions (I've read through many spoilered posts in this thread now :) ) changed before and after the second playthrough.
:D

So yeah, not regretting buying this and going for two Endings. The second playthrough definitely added another layer to the story, maybe something that should've even been in the first.

I can recommend Nier to most people with an interest in any of the genres this game borrows from. It feels like a mix between Zelda and Folklore with some more traditional (A)RPG aspects thrown in - in the towns and sidequest structure, mostly. Also, one of the best soundtracks of the year, no doubt. I've already decided that it'll get an honourable mention in my GAF GOTY post for that. :D
I think the reason they don't reveal that stuff in the first playthrough is
it basically changes the entire character. Whereas Nier in the first playthrough is totally justified and good, saving the world from the shades, in the second playthrough, he is single-minded and vengeful. There's even small hints of this in the first playthrough, like when he kills the talking shade in the memory tree, despite the shade simply trying to convey to Nier that he means no harm. The second playthrough isn't just that our heroes don't know (Kaine, at very least, can understand the shades), they just don't care. It changes things from a generic "These RPG guys are saving the world from the EVIL SHADOWLORD" to "This grief-stricken father is basically murdering everyone until he kills the guy who has as much claim on the little girl as he does."

bluedeviltron said:
God damn. Why does this game keep coming up? Everything about it looks horrible, but I'm getting real close to caving and heading to GameStop after work.

Is it the most bandwagon'd bad game in history, or is it really more than meets the eye?

it's not some "in your face" quality game. you have to pay attention to get the most out of it. having some knowledge of older games will help you appreciate some sections more than newcomers. so if you're looking for shallow games and have no knowledge of (mostly) japanese gaming, you might miss the beauty of this game,

1stStrike

Banned
bluedeviltron said:

It really depends on what you're looking for in a game. I wasn't overly excited about it at first, but when I saw a trailer before it came out that featured the song "Gods Bound by Rules" I was sold.

Nier is really an imperfect diamond. Some parts of it are breathtaking, while others are rather ugly. It's a mixed bag, but the overall package is not only a unique experience, but one worth having.

I just picked up a copy today. After Deadly Premonition, I've been a lot more willing to take chances on games that supposedly have a lot of personality, even if they happen to look like dog shit.

Haunted

Kweh said:
It really felt like a Game Republic game at times.

ShockingAlberto said:
I think the reason they don't reveal that stuff in the first playthrough is
it basically changes the entire character. Whereas Nier in the first playthrough is totally justified and good, saving the world from the shades, in the second playthrough, he is single-minded and vengeful. There's even small hints of this in the first playthrough, like when he kills the talking shade in the memory tree, despite the shade simply trying to convey to Nier that he means no harm. The second playthrough isn't just that our heroes don't know (Kaine, at very least, can understand the shades), they just don't care. It changes things from a generic "These RPG guys are saving the world from the EVIL SHADOWLORD" to "This grief-stricken father is basically murdering everyone until he kills the guy who has as much claim on the little girl as he does."
Yes, it's simple yet effective.
Overly melodramatic in parts (probably necessary given how little Shade interaction they had to work with during the game) but eh.

Also, Nier can not understand shades, so there's no change in his character, just how we perceive him (and as you said (and I did on the end of last page after seeing Ending A), there definitely were some hints to this during the second part of the first playthrough).

I don't want to take away from the idea or its implementation (it's fairly novel for a videogame), but it's relatively easy to manipulate people's perception of a story by withholding information from them. Which, when you come down to it, is what the story does in the first playthrough. It shows only one side of the story.

Zachack

Haunted said:
I'd have preferred the story to not have a huge exposition dump right near the end, but then that's somewhat required for the second playthrough to have any impact. I would have preferred the first ending to have been a bit clearer as to what happened, particularly in regards to the origin of the scrawl and the connection to the chunk at beginning of the game.

I dunno, I was able to piece together a lot of the core twist element during the game so the second playthrough didn't have as much impact because I already had an idea of what was going on when I first did things. As a result the second time through really felt overbearing and ham-fisted (I think some bits would have come across as ham-fisted either way). The VA (aside from Neir/Yonda) didn't help me sympathize much, either.

I enjoyed the game but felt that it fluctuated too much between interesting and juvenile.

Haunted

Zachack said:
I'd have preferred the story to not have a huge exposition dump right near the end, but then that's somewhat required for the second playthrough to have any impact. I would have preferred the first ending to have been a bit clearer as to what happened, particularly in regards to the origin of the scrawl and the connection to the chunk at beginning of the game.

I dunno, I was able to piece together a lot of the core twist element during the game so the second playthrough didn't have as much impact because I already had an idea of what was going on when I first did things. As a result the second time through really felt overbearing and ham-fisted (I think some bits would have come across as ham-fisted either way). The VA (aside from Neir/Yonda) didn't help me sympathize much, either.

I enjoyed the game but felt that it fluctuated too much between interesting and juvenile.
I can also agree with this post.

To the bolded: it's good I chronicled some of my thoughts as I was playing so now I have proof that I actually had this impression during/after the first playthrough. :p

matmanx1

Best way to play Nier (IMHO) is to do an equal amount of story and side quest stuff. That way you don't burn out on the side quests but still end up getting plenty of extra money and side story. I also advise ignoring quests with insane grinding requirements (like the aforementioned 10 Titanium quest!) as those will just cause hair loss.

There are a couple of gems in the side quests that you will definitely want to focus on but the game is structured in such a way that it makes missing them pretty hard. The Devola and Popola singing quest is good and the Old Woman and the Lighthouse series is pretty great as well. And then there are a couple of quests that will ultimately end up with you receiving an new weapon and those quests are required if you want to get all of the endings.

I know some people who play to get 1000 gamerscore or Platinum Trophies on everything and honestly that's one of the worst things you can do on Nier as it requires so much grinding. Focus on the story and focus on what's fun and you might just love it as much as I did.

Zachack

matmanx1 said:
There are a couple of gems in the side quests that you will definitely want to focus on but the game is structured in such a way that it makes missing them pretty hard. The Devola and Popola singing quest is good and the Old Woman and the Lighthouse series is pretty great as well. And then there are a couple of quests that will ultimately end up with you receiving an new weapon and those quests are required if you want to get all of the endings.
I did those two specific quests and a couple other random quests but I would tend to suggest to anyone just starting that they either do ONLY those quests or disregard almost all sidequests alltogether (was there one to get the boar?) due to their overall pointlessness and grinding aspects. Most of the ones I did I don't think really fleshed out the world any.

As for endings C and D, unless you have a medical need to get the point/trophies I'd youtube them.

I can see why they didn't focus on the origin of the scrawl.

It was

A) The most fucked up of several fucked up Drakengard endings
B) Not the point. Nier doesn't care. It's about him and his daughter.

Zachack

ShockingAlberto said:
I can see why they didn't focus on the origin of the scrawl.

It was

A) The most fucked up of several fucked up Drakengard endings
B) Not the point. Nier doesn't care. It's about him and his daughter.
With regards to A, most people haven't played Drakengard, nor ever will, and frankly any connection should have been excised since it adds nothing IMO. As for B, by that reasoning you could eliminate most of the exposition in Ending A and the lead-up. I'm also not saying it needed to be completely explained, but it could have been intertwined better into the story (or expo-dumped during Ending A, along with some other world-setup info).

I think the story on the whole would have been better served if Ending A didn't have much exposition at all, and Playthrough/Ending B had a huge amount of exposition running through it (and less repeating of certain dungeons).

And am I thinking of a different game or was this the one where there's a manga that fills in a lot of blanks about how things got to where they were?

Haunted

Yeah, I've read up on it. I've never played Drakengard, so I did wonder what the fuck was up with that and why it was never mentioned again. :lol

I think it's kinda neat to connect two unrelated games like this, but it's little more than an internal joke "wouldn't it be cool if we did that" "yeah, why not" type of deal, I'm sure. The black scrawl suddenly breaks out, setting the events of the game in motion. More isn't needed, really.

noonche

Zachack said:
With regards to A, most people haven't played Drakengard, nor ever will, and frankly any connection should have been excised since it adds nothing IMO. As for B, by that reasoning you could eliminate most of the exposition in Ending A and the lead-up. I'm also not saying it needed to be completely explained, but it could have been intertwined better into the story (or expo-dumped during Ending A, along with some other world-setup info).

I think the story on the whole would have been better served if Ending A didn't have much exposition at all, and Playthrough/Ending B had a huge amount of exposition running through it (and less repeating of certain dungeons).

And am I thinking of a different game or was this the one where there's a manga that fills in a lot of blanks about how things got to where they were?

There is something called Grimoire Nier which is a Japanese book that goes into a lot of the details and timelines of Nier. It also has a bunch of short stories that where published in the run-up to the game's release. There's a fan-translation project of it somewhere. Don't know if that kind of stuff is ok to post here though.

1stStrike

Banned
alske said:
There is something called Grimoire Nier which is a Japanese book that goes into a lot of the details and timelines of Nier. It also has a bunch of short stories that where published in the run-up to the game's release. There's a fan-translation project of it somewhere. Don't know if that kind of stuff is ok to post here though.

You can find the translations here

Top Bottom