• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
Lard said:
I'm on the first boss battle.

Cannot kill the boss. What the fuck is with this clock above its head?

Do I have to just keep pounding the boss? Do I have to jump up and specifically hit the clock?

It's already killed me once because it just continually regains its health and hits me.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Already unimpressed.

You can't really blame the game for your own stupidity. The boss falls down stunned - either run up and smack him to death with your weapon or shoot magic at it to finish them off. You'd think that after one or two times of the boss getting back up that you'd catch on.

ultron87

The boss in the Barren Temple (or whatever it's called, the one with the rules) is so ridiculous for a boss in a 3rd person action rpg. It'd be more at home in Rez.

I fucking loved it.

Lard

Banned
1stStrike said:
You can't really blame the game for your own stupidity. The boss falls down stunned - either run up and smack him to death with your weapon or shoot magic at it to finish them off. You'd think that after one or two times of the boss getting back up that you'd catch on.

Fuck you very much.

I've tried both and they haven't worked, which is why I'm asking for help.

Don't want to contribute? Piss off.

Foxix Von

Lard said:
Fuck you very much.

I've tried both and they haven't worked, which is why I'm asking for help.

Don't want to contribute? Piss off.
The initial blast of the dark blast magic is the strongest. Instead of just holding the button down to shoot try repeatedly tapping it so you do more damage. That might be enough to put you over the edge and kill it.

Lard

Banned
Foxix said:
The initial blast of the dark blast magic is the strongest. Instead of just holding the button down to shoot try repeatedly tapping it so you do more damage. That might be enough to put you over the edge and kill it.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Your tip about the initial blast of Dark Lance did the trick. Thanks alot! :D

1stStrike

Banned
I didn't find any of the boss battles in this game particularly challenging, so it's obvious you're doing something wrong. Go to youtube and watch a video of the fight or check out a walkthrough on gamefaqs that will tell you how to do it. The fact that you didn't think of either already blows my mind because all the answers are already there.

Foxix Von

Lard said:
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Just out of curiosity are you playing on hard? If you're playing on a 360 and have adjusted the default difficulty setting the game will follow through and that could explain some of the trouble being had.

Coldsnap said:
Maybe the quests become unavailable after awhile and they cannot be done during the second playthrough? That is just my guess.
I just looked at a guide, and you are correct. There is one sidequest where you have to use farming, but other than that it's optional. You can grow health items and other stuff to sell.

Coldsnap

Just checking how I'm doing on my 15 hour run,
I'm at 8 hours and just fought and lost to Shadowlord. Kaine is now stone and Yohna is gone. I'm really enjoying this game.

Lard

Banned
So far so good after that.

Managed to rescue my daughter from the tower when she was looking for the Lunar Tear without any trouble.

Finished a few sidequests with little difficulty.

Trying to do the quest of taking the package to the next village over.

It's fucking impossible. :(

Time after time after time, something hits me on a bridge, even if I am dodging and breaks the package. SO frustrating.

Lard said:

Managed to rescue my daughter from the tower when she was looking for the Lunar Tear without any trouble.

Time after time after time, something hits me on a bridge, even if I am dodging and breaks the package. SO frustrating.
Did you do the boar quest yet?

ijed

Lard said:

Do the Aerie main quest first then do this side quest - the shades won't be there then

survivor

Banned
Been playing the game a lot this break and been having a blast. The one thing that is bothering me is the fetch quests later on are ridiculous. They are all asking me for items that I have no idea where to get them. And the ones that I do seem to require some amount of grinding. Probably not gonna be worth my time since I just want to continue the story.

BTW a question about the word editing. I don't understand the ones that are related to martial arts. Are they active all the time and do they even stack up?

survivor said:
Been playing the game a lot this break and been having a blast. The one thing that is bothering me is the fetch quests later on are ridiculous. They are all asking me for items that I have no idea where to get them. And the ones that I do seem to require some amount of grinding. Probably not gonna be worth my time since I just want to continue the story.

BTW a question about the word editing. I don't understand the ones that are related to martial arts. Are they active all the time and do they even stack up?
You don't have to do any fetch quests. All you need is money to get all the weapons (which takes just a few quests later on, each giving you like 30k gold) and buy health. That's it.

Korigama

Lard said:

Rolling in and of itself (even when not fighting anything) can break the package, actually.

Coldsnap

ZephyrFate said:
You don't have to do any fetch quests. All you need is money to get all the weapons (which takes just a few quests later on, each giving you like 30k gold) and buy health. That's it.

Where do you buy health?

survivor

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
I haven't spent any money so far except on maps so I should have enough. Then again later weapons might cost a fortune. I think I will just start accepting all the quests and see which ones are short and give a lot of money.

Coldsnap said:
Where do you buy health?
I meant health items, like Herbs and Salves and Drops.

survivor: A couple easy quests in the latter half are the Masters of the Plains Quests. Provided you're a decent level, you can take them down in a bit of time and net yourself about 80k total. You only need about 200-250k to get all the weapons. Some of the latter half Facade quests are easy and give you a lot of money.

Yoshiya

So depressing that Yoko Taro creates Nier and is now out of work :/ His mild insanity is so key to the Nier/Drakengard universe; can there be any true future Nier products without his involvement?

survivor

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
I meant health items, like Herbs and Salves and Drops.

survivor: A couple easy quests in the latter half are the Masters of the Plains Quests. Provided you're a decent level, you can take them down in a bit of time and net yourself about 80k total. You only need about 200-250k to get all the weapons. Some of the latter half Facade quests are easy and give you a lot of money.
Ok I just looked through the Facade quests and they are perfect. 3/6 of them are just going to some place and killing Shades. Added with the Masters quest I think I will be good.

I just looked at the description of Life in the Sands quest. Like hell I'm gonna finish that quest. When I first accept it, I thought I can just buy the items and get it over.

Yoshiya said:
So depressing that Yoko Taro creates Nier and is now out of work :/ His mild insanity is so key to the Nier/Drakengard universe; can there be any true future Nier products without his involvement?
Probably not.

survivor said:
Ok I just looked through the Facade quests and they are perfect. 3/6 of them are just going to some place and killing Shades. Added with the Masters quest I think I will be good.

I just looked at the description of Life in the Sands quest. Like hell I'm gonna finish that quest. When I first accept it, I thought I can just buy the items and get it over.
That quest is the hardest in the game. There's absolutely no point unless you want a tedious method of acquiring Pink Moonflower Seeds which sell for a good chunk of money.

But the time it takes to make them is absolutely not worth it. It requires cross-pollination luck and resetting the PS3 clock.

Lard said:
Yeah, actually I got that done pretty easily. :D
The boar should make delivering that package a breeze, in case you haven't figured that out yet.
Yoshiya said:
It's not out of the question. I assume Sawako Natori is still working there, and she is credited with writing the Drakengard series, as well as Nier. I think another Nier game will be sort of like No More Heroes 2. It will be more refined than the first game, but it won't have quite the same charm.

Coldsnap said:
Maybe the quests become unavailable after awhile and they cannot be done during the second playthrough? That is just my guess.
You have to do "Shopping List" during part one, or farming will be unavailable. "Return to Shopping", which makes farming faster/easier, is also only available in part one. However, in part two you can buy (for 5,000) an item that gives you the same upgrade.

And really, you could skip them both if you want. Farming is only pointful if you're going for all trophies/achievements. Otherwise, for a huge time investment and/or tedious manipulation of the system clock, your ultimate in-game rewards are very paltry. You get money--which you can earn much faster other ways--and a new full-health item (basically doubling your max stock of these), which you likely won't need except maybe during the last "dungeon" on Hard.

ninj4junpei said:
The boar should make delivering that package a breeze, in case you haven't figured that out yet.

It's not out of the question. I assume Sawako Natori is still working there, and she is credited with writing the Drakengard series, as well as Nier. I think another Nier game will be sort of like No More Heroes 2. It will be more refined than the first game, but it won't have quite the same charm.
I'd rather have a NieR 2 with the same fantastic writing or no NieR 2 at all. This means... refine it, keep the charm.

I've just got this game and have been playing for about 1:30.

It has just said that villagers give you quests, do I need to take on these quests and should I take them all on at once? Also will they disappear after a while? Just want someone to explain what these quests are.

Also I've not had the game explain what the Y button does. I could look in the manual but I can't be bothered.

Also I didn't realise when it said "give me your name" that it would be the character's name. I don't like my character being called Ashley.

Coldsnap

ashbash159 said:

It has just said that villagers give you quests, do I need to take on these quests and should I take them all on at once? Also will they disappear after a while? Just want someone to explain what these quests are.

Also I've not had the game explain what the Y button does. I could look in the manual but I can't be bothered.

Also I didn't realise when it said "give me your name" that it would be the character's name. I don't like my character being called Ashley.

I'm 10 hours into the game and I just pressed Y button for the first time because of your post. I guess it does some charge attack.

Also on the name thing I did the same thing. My friends made fun of me asking if I call all my characters "Bryan".

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm really digging this game. It seems to get better and better the further in you get.

How were the Drakengards? Were they similar, would I enjoy them if I liked Nier?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Coldsnap said:
I'm 10 hours into the game and I just pressed Y button for the first time because of your post. I guess it does some charge attack.

Also on the name thing I did the same thing. My friends made fun of me asking if I call all my characters "Bryan".

The Y button does a guard-break attack.

ultron87

ashbash159 said:
Also I know I can sell stuff but what would I want to sell? Stuff like the old books (forgot what they were called)?

Yeah, my worry about a game with this many ridiculous systems is that for all I know anything in my inventory could be the way to untold riches or amazing weapons through some quest down the road. So I fear selling anything.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
FlyinJ said:
I'm really digging this game. It seems to get better and better the further in you get.

How were the Drakengards? Were they similar, would I enjoy them if I liked Nier?

I loved them. But you should probably read this before you pick them up.

I think reading about Drakengard 1 (that entire write-up is extremely funny) will probably be more entertaining than playing it at this point. Drakengard 2 was not quite as much a mind fuck and excessively difficult for the sake of being difficult as the first game. If you liked Nier you would probably like both games, but you might not finish the first one (I never could get past the 49 button-presses in 30 seconds bit in the final level and had to watch the ending on Youtube).

Conclusion: approach with caution.

luxarific said:

I think reading about Drakengard 1 (that entire write-up is extremely funny) will probably be more entertaining than playing it at this point. Drakengard 2 was not quite as much a mind fuck and excessively difficult for the sake of being difficult as the first game. If you liked Nier you would probably like both games, but you might not finish the first one (I never could get past the 49 button-presses in 30 seconds bit in the final level and had to watch the ending on Youtube).

I just find it amusing that NieR uses Drakengard's last ending, an ending most people could not get, as its starting point.

luxarific said:

I had to pause it and bang out 10 presses or so then pause again in between to get it, but I got it. Felt great.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
pancakesandsex said:
I had to pause it and bang out 10 presses or so then pause again in between to get it, but I got it. Felt great.

IIRC, I tried the final level three times, messing up on that section each time and then said fuck it and searched for the ending on Youtube. :lol

A brilliantly twisted game that was beyond my abilities to complete it. I'm still glad I played it though. I loved the characters and the dragon and the OST - particularly the OST.

Zachack

ashbash159 said:
Also I know I can sell stuff but what would I want to sell? Stuff like the old books (forgot what they were called)?
Just keep them. I don't think I sold any of that stuff (nor did I really play around with upgrading weapons much) and never really felt a cash crunch.

Charles said:
Thanks to Gaf I just ordered this off ebay.

I hope you're proud of yourselves.
You're welcome. ;)
ashbash159 said:

The Y button attack is used for breaking an enemy's guard. I unintentionally named my Nier Stephanie. :lol I immediately started things over, since I care about canon names. I don't see what the point in being able to change his name.

As for the quests, after a certain point in the game, you will lose access to some of the quests. If you are a completionist, do all of them before you visit a certain mansion.

What happens when I die? Nothing?

I just died on the monster from going from ThenSeafront back to Yonah. Do I need to kill that monster now?

ashbash159 said:
What happens when I die? Nothing?

I just died on the monster from going from ThenSeafront back to Yonah. Do I need to kill that monster now?
No, that is optional.
luxarific said:
Holy shit. :lol The reward for 100% is amazing. I wish I could erase my memory and 100% Drakengard with no knowledge whatsoever. I heard the final boss was hard, but damn.

You have to love Youtube fan music videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgzcbbJZBL4&NR=1&feature=fvwp :lol Spoilers for Drakengard.

Foxix Von

Coldsnap said:
Just checking how I'm doing on my 15 hour run,
I'm at 8 hours and just fought and lost to Shadowlord. Kaine is now stone and Yohna is gone. I'm really enjoying this game.

I'm 20 something hours in and just got to there =/ Also just before going to
Emil's mansion
I encountered this crazy glitch where the alternate lighting in the desert area was applied to the rest of the areas.

Adam Blade said:
ninj4junpei, please respond. Hope you're all right and that the GAFFers in OT are making a big deal out of nothing...

Did something happen? I think I missed something.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just started the game and I was wondering if there was anything I can miss since I'll have to go through the game a few times to get all the ends.

Foxix Von

Oh wow.

I just got to play some more after the
time skip.
I was liking the game a lot before but with all the crazy stuff that's happened in the last few hours... I'm flat out in love. I kind of wish that
Kainé and Emil had gotten some more screen time before all this crazy stuff went with down her turning to stone. Kind of felt a little bit rushed around the Shadowlord fight. Still though, that scene with Nier embracing Emil. Just... wow.
I sort of welled up a little bit during that.

I was about ready to just disregard the beginning of the game as a dream sequence but now after seeing what Emil's become, it just raises more questions about the past.

The game has really kicked it into overdrive. This is awesome.

InfiniteNine said:
Just started the game and I was wondering if there was anything I can miss since I'll have to go through the game a few times to get all the ends.

While I haven't beaten it yet the only thing I can think of is that if your gunning for all the quests make sure to get them done early in the game before you visit a certain mansion.

Top Bottom