• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

shawnlreed

InfiniteNine said:
Just started the game and I was wondering if there was anything I can miss since I'll have to go through the game a few times to get all the ends.

The game is essentially split into two parts, and once you reach the halfway point, some quests you miss in part one become impossible to complete.
This really only matters if you're aiming for 100% quest completion (which does not net you any trophies/achievement points).
The most commonly missed quest is called "The Lover's Pride" and occurs in the Seafront town.
There's a man near the lighthouse who gives you the quest, but only late in the first half of the game.
Also worth noting, a lot of the weird rare items you find can be used to forge stronger weapons later in the game, so selling them is not a good idea if you aim to get that achievement.

Foxix Von

Interactive Fiction said:
The game is essentially split into two parts, and once you reach the halfway point, some quests you miss in part one become impossible to complete.
This really only matters if you're aiming for 100% quest completion (which does not net you any trophies/achievement points).
The most commonly missed quest is called "The Lover's Pride" and occurs in the Seafront town.
There's a man near the lighthouse who gives you the quest, but only late in the first half of the game.
Also worth noting, a lot of the weird rare items you find can be used to forge stronger weapons later in the game, so selling them is not a good idea if you aim to get that achievement.

I think I missed that one. Something weird happened and I talked to that guy except nothing happened and nothing was added to the quest log =/

Welp, I guess there's no looking back now.

Coldsnap

Just beat it, Wow.... this game really surprised me. Sometimes the writing was terrible but they did an amazing part on some parts. For instance Emil, that character blew me away and I usually cannot stand young children in games (Lost Odyssey Cough Cough). This might have de-throned Lost Odyssey as my favorite current gen RPG, they both dealt with very mature subjects and character development.

Coldsnap said:
Just beat it, Wow.... this game really surprised me. Sometimes the writing was terrible but they did an amazing part on some parts. For instance Emil, that character blew me away and I usually cannot stand young children in games (Lost Odyssey Cough Cough). This might have de-throned Lost Odyssey as my favorite current gen RPG, they both dealt with very mature subjects and character development.
Glad you enjoyed it. :) Now prepare for the glorious second playthrough.

Foxix Von

FUUUUUUUUU.

Looked it up. For that lover's pride quest you have to talk then leave town and talk to him again.

I feel like a fool. I'm borderline OCD enough to jump back to a previous save and lose 5 hours to get it. =/

Foxix said:
FUUUUUUUUU.

Looked it up. For that lover's pride quest you have to talk then leave town and talk to him again.

I feel like a fool. I'm borderline OCD enough to jump back to a previous save and lose 5 hours to get it. =/
It's not a big deal. You only lose out on like 30k gold, which you can get elsewhere.

Coldsnap

Now that I've beaten the game, It's time to fish. I love fishing in RPGs for some reason. The fishing system will scratch my ffxi fishing addiction.

Foxix Von

ZephyrFate said:
It's not a big deal. You only lose out on like 30k gold, which you can get elsewhere.

As long as there's no achievement for it I suppose...

I guess I'll just load it up do the quest and then continue from where I actually left off. I feel compelled to actually do it even if it doesn't count in my actual game :lol

1stStrike said:
Nah, it's a great game with one of the best soundtracks of 2010. Definitely deserves to be on the front page :)

I know, it's #2 on my GOTY list ;)
Happy to see it getting so much love on GAF. Also I bought it pretty much on release date.

1stStrike

Banned
schennmu said:
I know, it's #2 on my GOTY list ;)
Happy to see it getting so much love on GAF. Also I bought it pretty much on release date.

Same here. I had no problem paying near full price for it. Was worth every penny IMO. When I see people in here like "It's $15.00 I'm not sure I should buy it. I'll wait till it's cheaper." I'm just like wttfffff you cheap bastard :lol

Yoshiya

1stStrike said:
Nah, it's a great game with one of the best soundtracks of 2010. Definitely deserves to be on the front page :)
Looking like it'll win the GAF vote. Makes me happy to see it get some acknowledgement. Did it win any Soundtrack of the Year awards from press? If not, then GAF is truly the last bastion of taste :lol (kidding before I provoke some moronic response)

Foxix Von

Yoshiya said:
Looking like it'll win the GAF vote. Makes me happy to see it get some acknowledgement. Did it win any Soundtrack of the Year awards from press? If not, then GAF is truly the last bastion of taste :lol (kidding before I provoke some moronic response)
The hive mind is rarely wrong.

1stStrike

Banned
Yoshiya said:

Pretty sure Mass Effect 2 won every category. It's like they didn't even try with the year end votes.

ashbash159 said:
It has just said that villagers give you quests, do I need to take on these quests and should I take them all on at once? Also will they disappear after a while? Just want someone to explain what these quests are.
Quests are not needed for anything but achievement/trophies. Some give money or item rewards, and a few of the later ones give weapons (but not uber weapons). Do as many as you like; some expand the world or offer good reward, some are tedious or barebones. There's a big break in the story about two-thirds in (people call it first half/last half but the second part's quicker); after that, some quests become unavailable. But this has no negative effect besides the missing quests themselves; all trophies are still gettable.

Accept all the quest assignments you want. There's no limit, and it helps you to know what you need for the (too numerous) material fetch-quests.

ashbash159 said:
Also I know I can sell stuff but what would I want to sell? Stuff like the old books (forgot what they were called)?.
If you just want to finish the game on Easy/Normal, sell anything you feel like. If you want to finish on Hard, or you want to earn all achievements/trophies, don't sell anything. Later on you get to upgrade weapons, and the items you need for that can be very rare.

Yoshiya

1stStrike said:
Pretty sure Mass Effect 2 won every category. It's like they didn't even try with the year end votes.
True. Based on my last flick through the thread (a very rough estimate) it'll come out with Nier, FFXIII and then RDR. That the press was so busy fellating Bioware/Rockstar to even consider other contenders is disappointing, but at least I agree that that José González song is nice. I never seriously expected Nier to be acknowledged, but a credible award in this category has to consider the soundtrack independently of the game, so in a fair system it really should have been assured some awards despite the tepid critical reception.

mAcOdIn

Just got this yesterday. I'm only a few hours in but this game is way better than Final Fantasy 13 was. The idle banter is also awesome and the music is actually pretty good too. Shit, I should have gotten this earlier.

I'm playing through on hard so my progress has been slower than usual, that package mission was a pain in the ass, the boar took forever to kill and I can die to those scrub shades if I'm not paying attention, ahh, just as it should be. Anyways, I'm loving it so far.

Yoshiya

mAcOdIn said:
The idle banter is also awesome and the music is actually pretty good too. Shit, I should have gotten this earlier.
:lol

Good to hear more enjoying it. Difficulty can be freely switched if you become stuck, but the game isn't very hard anyway.

mAcOdIn

Yoshiya said:
:lol

Good to hear more enjoying it. Difficulty can be freely switched if you become stuck, but the game isn't very hard anyway.
Yeah, I don't always buy people's opinions when it comes to music but I really like what I've heard so far, although at the point I'm at including the opening scene I've probably only heard 4 pieces of music but they've all been above average and the opening music was awesome.

But I love how the "offensive" language is delivered normally, it's not stilted or poorly delivered or seemingly out of place, there's a few "hey listen!" moments where the VA is kinda boring or phoning it in but the main characters all do a good job. Too bad it doesn't have full voice acting but whatever, I'll take what I can get.

1stStrike

Banned
mAcOdIn said:
Just got this yesterday. I'm only a few hours in but this game is way better than Final Fantasy 13 was. The idle banter is also awesome and the music is actually pretty good too. Shit, I should have gotten this earlier.

I'm playing through on hard so my progress has been slower than usual, that package mission was a pain in the ass, the boar took forever to kill and I can die to those scrub shades if I'm not paying attention, ahh, just as it should be. Anyways, I'm loving it so far.

Ah, just wait till you get to the desert. My favorite song is there in a boss battle. "Gods Bound by Rules"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
1stStrike said:
Ah, just wait till you get to the desert. My favorite song is there in a boss battle. "Gods Bound by Rules"

The song that plays in the dungeon there is also one of my favorites(Temple of Drifting Sands). Just another reason why the Facade arc is my favorite in the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gravijah said:
Did you accept your fate or did you puss out?
?

I think a part of my soul died when it went though the menus and wiped everything. =(

I made backup saves on a USB but I doubt I'll use them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
schennmu said:
It's crazy that this thread is still going.

<3 Nier

Now within 20 posts of outstripping the FableIII OT's post-count! Which is insane given the sales disparity between the two.

Papercuts said:
I think a part of my soul died when it went though the menus and wiped everything. =(

I made backup saves on a USB but I doubt I'll use them.

you guys have to man up someday, let it all flow~

I have a sidequest related question. What's the benefit of getting a 100% of the sidequests? I've done a lot of them and I will continue to do them but I'm pretty sure I don't have the patience to go for the 'pink moonflower seeds' quest. So then my counter will be at 98% by the end of the game or something.

What are the consequences of that? I don't think there a 100% related achievement, does it influence the endings? Or is it alright to keep some uncompleted?

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
1stStrike said:

I agree. The soundtrack was surprisingly good, especially considering the soundtrack draught this generation seems to be suffering from. Thanks again for recommending the game to me. :)

TranceKuja said:
I have a sidequest related question. What's the benefit of getting a 100% of the sidequests? I've done a lot of them and I will continue to do them but I'm pretty sure I don't have the patience to go for the 'pink moonflower seeds' quest. So then my counter will be at 98% by the end of the game or something.

What are the consequences of that? I don't think there a 100% related achievement, does it influence the endings? Or is it alright to keep some uncompleted?
The pink moonflower seeds sidequest can go frak itself. It's doable, and it only took me like an hour or two. Unfortunately, I do not believe that the game ever properly explains farming, particularly cross-pollination. I don't think there is a benefit to getting 100%, other than your own satisfaction.

Foxix Von

ninj4junpei said:
The pink moonflower seeds sidequest can go frak itself. It's doable, and it only took me like an hour or two. Unfortunately, I do not believe that the game ever properly explains farming, particularly cross-pollination. I don't think there is a benefit to getting 100%, other than your own satisfaction.
I actually just got that quest. I have some moonflower seeds but how does cross pollination work? It's never explained how to get a pink one. The quest giver just says "go get it."

Foxix Von

Coldsnap said:
So what are some of the best weapons in nier and how do i go about getting them?
I think someone said the strongest weapon is the phoenix spear that's sold in Facade in the latter half of the game. I could be wrong, but I'm using it now and it is pretty beefy.

EDIT: Bah, beaten.

Gravijah

More Fun To Compute said:
Phoenix Spear is game breakingly good even without much upgrading.

plus since it's a spear it lets you dash->roll which makes travel faster! ... or at least more fun!

yes, i traveled everywhere doing that

Requeim

Gravijah said:
plus it lets you dash->roll which makes travel faster! ... or at least more fun!

yes, i traveled everywhere doing that

oh my god, i did that as well <3

also just dashed pretty much all the time in fights to be honest

I've just got to the part where you first upgrade your weapon at
the scrap yard

It's just that I'm really tired right now so only played about 20 minutes today. I hadn't played it since early yesterday (GMT). Honestly I forgot what I am doing so can anyone recap the very beggining of the story for me. It just seems I'm going place to do stuff and I forgot why.
I know that I am trying to save Yonah but have I given up at the moment or something.
My memory is terrible at the moment.

Requeim

Playing through the game two times is essential if you like the story, because the second playthrough really is something else :O

Anyway, there are a lot of ups and downs in the story, but one thing that made me really happy, was
how there is an extra part at the end of ending B after the credits with Emil. I totally teared up (not since mother 3! :p) when he did his thing right before the end, so showing him alive at least was nice

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you want to upgrade every weapon you really need to buy the DLC. It makes getting several (not all) of the most annoyingly rare components a lot quicker to acquire.

Its actually a pretty decent add-on too if you like the combat, it offers a substantially higher level challenge than anything in the main game.

Coldsnap said:
How does the dlc distribute those items? I am level 27, is that too low for the dlc?
It's in a certain room within the third door. It's a remix of the underground lab dungeon, and all the boxes gives you shit tons of items.

Top Bottom