• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
kpx0 said:
ive been waiting to get this game but want to get it at $15 shipped or less for PS3. ive seen it at tha price point a couple times but missed the opportunity
Just go to gamestop, it's cheaper than that there.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Been doing side quests lately. Pretty fun, except for the fisherman's gambit stuff :p I think I've got like 4 side quests left before I'm done with the side quests in the first half of the game. And the game seems to be underappreciated. Which is saddening, as it's a preety decent game, actually.

StuBurns

Banned
I've finished the game, I think it's incredible, my favorite game out of Japan this generation probably.

However, I'm not going to dive back in any time soon, is there anywhere I can just read what happens in the three other endings?

pakkit

Banned
When does this game start to pick up? I'm about 2 hours in, and all the "run here to fetch," "return here to progress story" is wearing on my nerves. I love the visuals, I dig the characters, but I'm anxious for this game to start showing the goods.

StuBurns said:
I've finished the game, I think it's incredible, my favorite game out of Japan this generation probably.

However, I'm not going to dive back in any time soon, is there anywhere I can just read what happens in the three other endings?
You haven't 'completed' Nier until you play through the second time. Reading up on all the extra scenes added to the second playthrough is completely neutering the full experience.

Syril

StuBurns said:

There's actually more story to be seen if you play through a second time, and the New Game+ picks up two-thirds of the way in. The last two endings don't have anything new until the very end though.

StuBurns

Banned
Syril said:
There's actually more story to be seen if you play through a second time, and the New Game+ picks up two-thirds of the way in. The last two endings don't have anything new until the very end though.
So the new game + is just a few hours and includes new stuff, but it's the same new game + every time until the very ending? I.e. I can play it thru once more, get the second ending, then just YouTube the third and fourth endings?

StuBurns said:
So the new game + is just a few hours and includes new stuff, but it's the same new game + every time until the very ending? I.e. I can play it thru once more, get the second ending, then just YouTube the third and fourth endings?
The way to do it is play through the second playthrough (which starts right after
Kaine is petrified
), Youtube the third ending, then play through again to get the final ending, which has FAR more impact if you actually play it.

We're really not kidding about the final ending. It directly affects gameplay.

Syril

StuBurns said:
Well I'm not playing the final five hours three more times.

If you blaze through it and skip every cutscene and dialogue, you can get to the endgame in about an hour, but you also have to collect every weapon to open endings C and D, which involves some pretty annoying sidequests.

StuBurns

Banned
Syril said:
If you blaze through it and skip every cutscene and dialogue, you can get to the endgame in about an hour, but you also have to collect every weapon to open endings C and D, which involves some pretty annoying sidequests.
In that case, I'll certainly just playthru for the second ending. Thanks.

StuBurns said:
In that case, I'll certainly just playthru for the second ending. Thanks.
DO NOT skip cutscenes in the second playthrough. DO NOT. There is SHIT TONS of new scenes that you will totally miss.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Just finished a full playthrough. Much to think about. Very glad GAF was able to put this game on my radar.

Funny enough, I almost didn't play the game because of Kaine's hideous character design. She ended up being my favourite character.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Okay, the
isometric dungeon
was great fun, as was the boss fight at the end.

I'm about halfway through the game I guess, having
revived Kanae
. I'm really enjoying it, as it really feels different among the usual JRPG crop that I got so tired of.

It does have some kinks here and there though, and some that conform back to certain JPRG tropes that I hate, particularly those that deal with certain story elements, but for most part its great.

Whoever voiced The Father did such a fantastic job. Its very convincing. Weiss is great as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kaine slips every now and then. Sometimes its perfect, othertimes it falters.

Emil's is absolutely terrible in my opinion. It doesn't fit his character, is too pitchy and over dramatic. Its just not very convincing and franlky makes me hate his character, which doesn't help as I have an anti-kid bias to begin with.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
EatChildren said:

Emil's is absolutely terrible in my opinion. It doesn't fit his character, is too pitchy and over dramatic. Its just not very convincing and franlky makes me hate his character, which doesn't help as I have an anti-kid bias to begin with.
I can see why you say that, haha. To me it's a kid who was isolated for most of his life not really sure how to express himself properly.

Sagitario

EatChildren said:

1tuAV.gif

:p

trejo

I still don't buy that Estelle and Popola aren't voiced by the same person. I mean, much like Emil and Karol, they sound exactly the same.

EatChildren said:

I dunno, I feel like Emil gets better. You have to realize he's a kid... and Yoko Taroo, the creator of Nier, has some weird crazy obsession with children.

john tv

trejo said:
I still don't buy that Estelle and Popola aren't voiced by the same person. I mean, much like Emil and Karol, they sound exactly the same.
My bad - they are the same. :) It's hard to keep up with all the different stage names these actors use... ;p

Jex

EatChildren said:
Emil is certainly the one I have most trouble with, although everyone pales in comparison to Grimoire Weiss.

trejo

Emil is awesome. Don't hate on emil.

john tv said:
My bad - they are the same. :) It's hard to keep up with all the different stage names these actors use... ;p
No biggie. Now I feel validated. :D

Combichristoffersen

Forest of Myth was ass. Seriously.

Finished with all the side quests so far, at 51% completion now. So I should be done with the first half of the game soon.

Combichristoffersen said:
Forest of Myth was ass. Seriously.

Finished with all the side quests so far, at 51% completion now. So I should be done with the first half of the game soon.
Uhh... why? The writing is incredible and is a throwback to text adventures.

Combichristoffersen

ZephyrFate said:
Uhh... why? The writing is incredible and is a throwback to text adventures.

Too slow and boring. I just mashed X to get done with it so I could get back to killing sheep for that one trophy :p

Edit: The stories weren't bad per se, but the whole thing just dragged on for far too long.

Combichristoffersen said:
Too slow and boring. I just mashed X to get done with it so I could get back to killing sheep for that one trophy :p

Edit: The stories weren't bad per se, but the whole thing just dragged on for far too long.
This sounds like a problem due to modern gaming -- no one has patience for stuff that's actually good anymore. Tragic.

ZephyrFate said:
This sounds like a problem due to modern gaming -- no one has patience for stuff that's actually good anymore. Tragic.
Hey, did you feel a tingle in your heart when the line
"A red dragon falls from the heavens..."
appeared? That whole passage was such a tease.

I'm almost done with my first playthrough.

dragonlife29 said:
Hey, did you feel a tingle in your heart when the line
"A red dragon falls from the heavens..."
appeared? That whole passage was such a tease.

I'm almost done with my first playthrough.
A little, but Drakengard 1 was such a horrific gameplay nightmare that I shuddered more than tingled over it.

It's a shame, too, because that game was the reason no one played the sequel, Drakengard 2, which is actually a pretty good game.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ZephyrFate said:
A little, but Drakengard 1 was such a horrific gameplay nightmare that I shuddered more than tingled over it.

It's a shame, too, because that game was the reason no one played the sequel, Drakengard 2, which is actually a pretty good game.
Hrmm, I've read online of a lot of people who feel differently. I still need to buy it anyways, but my giftcard is slow in arriving.

LaneDS

Trying to avoid reading other posts, so I apologize if this was answered recently. I'm about seven hours into the game, just now at the temple past
Facade
and wondering if anyone has tips on things I should be doing my first time through, so I don't miss anything important. I haven't done the quest for 10 sardines because I've found the fishing entirely frustrating, so if anyone has tips for that I'd appreciate it (or if someone tells me I can skip it, even better!).

Very much enjoying the game though, it's a shame it didn't do better but I can understand why it wasn't accepted by the gaming masses of today. Oftentimes it feels like the type of action RPG I'd play back in the 16-bit days, if that makes any sense, and some elements that I enjoy about it I can see turning off other players.

LaneDS said:
Trying to avoid reading other posts, so I apologize if this was answered recently. I'm about seven hours into the game, just now at the temple past
Facade
and wondering if anyone has tips on things I should be doing my first time through, so I don't miss anything important. I haven't done the quest for 10 sardines because I've found the fishing entirely frustrating, so if anyone has tips for that I'd appreciate it (or if someone tells me I can skip it, even better!).

Very much enjoying the game though, it's a shame it didn't do better but I can understand why it wasn't accepted by the gaming masses of today. Oftentimes it feels like the type of action RPG I'd play back in the 16-bit days, if that makes any sense, and some elements that I enjoy about it I can see turning off other players.
As far as I know you can skip any side quests you don't want to do. I definately didn't do them all, especially the ones that were big fetch quests. If you really want sardines I think you want to use lugworms (sold at the bait shop in Seafront) and use them when you fish at the beach where you caught the shaman fish.

That said there's not much you HAVE to do in the first playthrough, you'll get the same ending regardless.

If you're an achievement whore there's one for killing 100 sheep, which you'll want to do more or less at the beginning of the game (first 1/3 or so) for reasons I can't get into.

Zeal

Banned
sorry if this question has already been addressed, but i'm a huge fan of the game.

has any future downloadable content been discussed yet? recycled vessel was fantastic, but i crave more from Nier's incredible story.

Zeal said:
sorry if this question has already been addressed, but i'm a huge fan of the game.

has any future downloadable content been discussed yet? recycled vessel was fantastic, but i crave more from Nier's incredible story.
Not sure but hasn't Cavia pretty much been disbanded/absorbed? I wouldn't expect any further DLC.

Zeal

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Not sure but hasn't Cavia pretty much been disbanded/absorbed? I wouldn't expect any further DLC.

which pretty much means a sequel to Nier is now more uncertain than ever. I feel like a kid who was just told that Santa isn't real.

Top Bottom