• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

LaneDS

Neuromancer said:
As far as I know you can skip any side quests you don't want to do. I definately didn't do them all, especially the ones that were big fetch quests. If you really want sardines I think you want to use lugworms (sold at the bait shop in Seafront) and use them when you fish at the beach where you caught the shaman fish.

That said there's not much you HAVE to do in the first playthrough, you'll get the same ending regardless.

If you're an achievement whore there's one for killing 100 sheep, which you'll want to do more or less at the beginning of the game (first 1/3 or so) for reasons I can't get into.

Thank you. Not looking for achievements, but I don't want to get to the end and find out I missed so and so. Good to know on the first playthrough, so I appreciate the reply.

Emil- I like camping out with Kaine, it's fun in a weird way. Sometimes we tell campfire stories or light-

Kaine - Emil, enough! I've got a fuckin' reputation to maintain here!

I love this game. Heading to the Forest of Myth again.

InfiniteNine said:
Hrmm, I've read online of a lot of people who feel differently. I still need to buy it anyways, but my giftcard is slow in arriving.
Drakengard 2 has a soundtrack that rivals Nier's, more fluid and dynamic gameplay than the first Drakengard, and a more coherent story. It's not zany or insane like either Drakengard or Nier, but it's competent. I enjoyed it a lot.

Drakengard 2 summarizes the first game's plot and includes characters from that game in its own story. You don't have to play the first for any reason. It follows Drakengard's A ending, while Nier follows its E ending. Drakengard 2 and Nier are two different parallel universes that spun off of Drakengard's.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I just really don't plan on playing sequels to games I know I haven't played. I didn't know it spun off of a Drakengard ending when I bought it so that was an exception.

Yoshiya

Neuromancer said:
Yep.

Sorry man. I know, it sucks. Although, I guess since it didn't sell real well, a sequel may never have been in the cards anyway. =(
There have been comments from the game's producer at Square that more Nier products are coming in 2011. For a new IP worldwide sales haven't been that poor; sure, the game failed to become the 'pillar' they talked up but the game didn't bomb either. Sales on the soundtrack releases have been strong, so I expect we'll see more of the world of Nier in some form (NGP NGP NGP!).

The promised further DLC never eventuating is a disappointment though, but with the turmoil at AQ it never could have happened. It would be great to hear what Yoko Taro is planning to do post Cavia though, perhaps 8-4 could ask and report on their next episode haha. Some crazy indie game from him would be great.

ZephyrFate said:
Drakengard 2 has a soundtrack that rivals Nier's, more fluid and dynamic gameplay than the first Drakengard, and a more coherent story. It's not zany or insane like either Drakengard or Nier, but it's competent. I enjoyed it a lot.
Could you post some of your favourite tracks? I'll probably never play the game, but I'd pick up the OST if it is good enough.

InfiniteNine said:
I just really don't plan on playing sequels to games I know I haven't played. I didn't know it spun off of a Drakengard ending when I bought it so that was an exception.
For the record I didn't even know Drakengard existed (I guess maybe I've heard of it in passing but that's it.) Anyway I really liked Nier, certainly you don't need any background to enjoy it.

Yoshiya said:
There have been comments from the game's producer at Square that more Nier products are coming in 2011. For a new IP worldwide sales haven't been that poor; sure, the game failed to become the 'pillar' they talked up but the game didn't bomb either. Sales on the soundtrack releases have been strong, so I expect we'll see more of the world of Nier in some form (NGP NGP NGP!).

The promised further DLC never eventuating is a disappointment though, but with the turmoil at AQ it never could have happened. It would be great to hear what Yoko Taro is planning to do post Cavia though, perhaps 8-4 could ask and report on their next episode haha. Some crazy indie game from him would be great.
Ah well I guess that's good news. I'd be very interested in another Nier game, whatever form it took.

Yoshiya

Neuromancer said:
Ah well I guess that's good news. I'd be very interested in another Nier game, whatever form it took.
I should have made clear that at least one of those products is the forthcoming drama CD, which will never see release here beyond fan translations :(

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Neuromancer said:
For the record I didn't even know Drakengard existed (I guess maybe I've heard of it in passing but that's it.) Anyway I really liked Nier, certainly you don't need any background to enjoy it.
I know it's pretty much based off what happens in the ending, so it's pretty much based off that specific event. Nier doesn't really include the same characters and stuff though, so thats why I'd be more iffy going into Drakengard 2.

Yoshiya said:
Could you post some of your favourite tracks? I'll probably never play the game, but I'd pick up the OST if it is good enough.
Here are some good tracks from Drakengard 2.
Vien of Grief
Plain of Pity
Twilight Hill

Drakengard 2 is a better game then 1 as the gameplay is pretty sound, but the story is almost cliche and uneventful until the end. It dosen't have the charm of 1. 1's story had pretty interesting characters and a pretty fascinating plot. Drakengard has a pretty anime boy lead and a plot that has periods where nothing happens and when stuff does happened it's kind of huh? and boring. Great ending though.

Zeal

Banned
whoa, nevermind, talk about a reversal. the executive producer says multiple things are in development related to Nier for 2011, and possibly a big announcement this year.

hope restored.

Yoshiya

Rahxephon91 said:
Here are some good tracks from Drakengard 2.
Vien of Grief
Plain of Pity
Twilight Hill
Thanks for these, they were great. Interesting that while most players didn't expect Nier's soundtrack to be as great as it was, yet its direct predecessor had already set the bar very high.

On the subject of music, I noticed that Nier picked up Soundtrack of the Year awards here and here. Good to see it get some recognition even from more niche press. I also noticed it was named runner up in RPGamer's console RPG of the year category, which surprises me even more.

StuBurns

Banned
Zeal said:
whoa, nevermind, talk about a reversal. the executive producer says multiple things are in development related to Nier for 2011, and possibly a big announcement this year.

hope restored.
This is awesome news to me, is that from an interview? Got a link?

StuBurns

Banned
Yoshiya said:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/31/developers_2010/
Anoop makes clear the 'major announcement' isn't necessarily Nier related, I imagine there was semantic ambiguity in whatever was being translated. Still, good to hear SE haven't completely forgotten their latest attempt at establishing new IP.
Thanks, I'll give it a read.

It makes sense to push the IP beyond the first game I think, KHs was SE's first attempt at a modern action RPG and it blew up huge, and with Versus XIII in the works, they have enough vested in the genre to nurture it further.

Yoshiya said:

Exhausted on the Holy Land is one of my favorite videogame tracks EVER made.

Followed closely by Formidable Enemy and Symphonic Poem - "Forbidden Prelude" are just fucking orgasmic. Drakengard 2's OST was performed by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra.

Hesemonni

Banned
Ok, I think I'm officially finished with this game by obtaining the D ending. Awesome shit, although a few obvious flaws in the game are apparent and widely discussed even on this forum. I was a bit disappointed with C & D endings though. Neither one didn't really bring anything into the story. The game should've ended with B.

As for achievements I got 910/1000 gps. I decided the skip the most grindy ones and just get the ones which are "easy" and are obtained easily along the natural progress of the game.

Even the remote possibility of revisiting the world of Nier makes me giddy inside. I really wish someone would do it. Let's say I loved Nier, what other similar games/experiences are there regardless of the platform or release date?

Syril

StuBurns said:
Thanks, I'll give it a read.

It makes sense to push the IP beyond the first game I think, KHs was SE's first attempt at a modern action RPG and it blew up huge, and with Versus XIII in the works, they have enough vested in the genre to nurture it further.

What? Square has been doing action-RPGs since the SNES days. Did you mean Square-Enix specifically? Because KH was from when they were still just Square.

StuBurns

Banned
Syril said:
What? Square has been doing action-RPGs since the SNES days. Did you mean Square-Enix specifically? Because KH was from when they were still just Square.
I said 'modern' because things like Threads of Fate are really very different, to me at least.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I hope you guys are keeping an eye on the ongoing SA longplay thread here.

Its by the DarkID who did the hilarious Drakengard longplay, so its an essential read in its own right, but it also shows how many nice touches there are in the design that you might have missed. It also shows up the quality of the writing, and especially 8-4's localization work, which is simply superb.

So much love for Nier in the thread too. Its amazing to see the hot/cold disconnect between fans and critics on this one. The sad part is taking that view from the perspective of a publisher...

Sagitario

Finished my first playtrhough today.
About Devola and Popola...
I FREAKING KNEW IT!

The second playthrough is making me feel like an asshole :(

Those poor shades :(

StuBurns said:
Just played the DLC, few gaming experiences I've detested more.
Yeah I'm not crazy about it either.

I got to the second door and decided to leave, you lose all progress when you do that and have to start over again. >=(

StuBurns

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Yeah I'm not crazy about it either.

I got to the second door and decided to leave, you lose all progress when you do that and have to start over again. >=(
I went thru the same door twice so I left after that.

I don't mind having bought it though, I paid ten pound for the game so I've had more than my money's worth. Also I had considered buying the Japanese version, now I've played as young Nier I don't feel as compelled to do so. The outfits suck too.

EDIT: I was pleased at where the New Game + starts though, very cool.

So I spent two hours his afternoon farming god damned rusty clumps so I could upgrade my sword instead of just going to facade and the Shadowlord's lair. I coulda just finished the game. Fuck me and my terrible ingame fishing addiction :l

suikodan

Clear said:

Its by the DarkID who did the hilarious Drakengard longplay, so its an essential read in its own right, but it also shows how many nice touches there are in the design that you might have missed. It also shows up the quality of the writing, and especially 8-4's localization work, which is simply superb.

So much love for Nier in the thread too. Its amazing to see the hot/cold disconnect between fans and critics on this one. The sad part is taking that view from the perspective of a publisher...

Wow, are there other threads like that? It sounds really cool (haven't read it all since I'm not even done with ending A yet.)

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not impressed with the New Game + stuff, I don't think it makes that much sense really.

We're meant to feel bad for these things that are constantly trying to murder you? Why exactly?

StuBurns said:
I'm not impressed with the New Game + stuff, I don't think it makes that much sense really.

We're meant to feel bad for these things that are constantly trying to murder you? Why exactly?
Uhhh... what?

You're not getting that they're all humans?

StuBurns

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Uhhh... what?

You're not getting that they're all humans?
Yes, so?
They're still constantly antagonistic. These little clips that attempt to frame them differently just run completely counter to what their actual actions during the game have been, so far at least.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
StuBurns said:
Yes, so?
They're still constantly antagonistic. These little clips that attempt to frame them differently just run completely counter to what their actual actions during the game have been, so far at least.
I just looked up all the details online as opposed to playing NG+, but there will be a whole lot explained about them at some point. Not sure what you currently know though so I don't want to spoil anything.

sonicmj1

StuBurns said:
Yes, so?

I think this is mentioned in the file you receive at the end of the game, but some of the shades are berserk, and attack everything. Many of them, though (including the ones you see framed in the cutscenes) are not.

A few of the sequences make that clearer, I think.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sonicmj1 said:
I think this is mentioned in the file you receive at the end of the game, but some of the shades are berserk, and attack everything. Many of them, though (including the ones you see framed in the cutscenes) are not.

A few of the sequences make that clearer, I think.
StuBurns specific spoiler warning -
All gestalts go insane if they are separated from their bodies for too long. Since it has been thousands of years since the opening events, almost all the shades have lost their sanity.

This also applies to the shade that is taking over Kaine. He doesn't want to, but he's about to go insane and can't stop it, which is why he has you kill him to save her.

There is some kind of material that the original Nier has been harvesting to keep some of the shades sane, but only a very small amount of people can be kept sane with the amount he is able to gather, which is why the shades are largely rampant monsters.

Just beat Nier. I tip my hat to you Cavia, way to kick the shit out of FFXIII, im gonna go for ending B tomorrow. Finally, I... Need to get the soundtrack for this game, it's just beautiful. Nevermind, starting playthrough two now and... Yeesh, I just wanna give Kaine a big hug :/

Sagitario

So... I did all 100% of the sidequests in my first playthrough and now I can't do any for subsequent ones... Do the shades in some quests have subtitles too? I am interested in the shade of the mansion's library.

Nirolak said:
StuBurns specific spoiler warning -
All gestalts go insane if they are separated from their bodies for too long. Since it has been thousands of years since the opening events, almost all the shades have lost their sanity.

This also applies to the shade that is taking over Kaine. He doesn't want to, but he's about to go insane and can't stop it, which is why he has you kill him to save her.

There is some kind of material that the original Nier has been harvesting to keep some of the shades sane, but only a very small amount of people can be kept sane with the amount he is able to gather, which is why the shades are largely rampant monsters.

That explains a lot about those documents Popola and Devola give you.
Is this explained in the third playthrough?
I just finished my second one tonight, felt so bad about killing some of those shades :(

StuBurns

Banned
Finished ending B, didn't like it as much as A, I don't think replaying it added anything to my experience, in fact I'd say it tarnished it somewhat, but I still love the game, it would have been my GotY had I played it last year.

I YouTube'd the other two endings, they didn't do anything for me either.

1stStrike

Banned
StuBurns said:
Finished ending B, didn't like it as much as A, I don't think replaying it added anything to my experience, in fact I'd say it tarnished it somewhat, but I still love the game, it would have been my GotY had I played it last year.

Wha?! I don't get how you like B less =\ You're like the first that didn't like it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sagitario said:
So... I did all 100% of the sidequests in my first playthrough and now I can't do any for subsequent ones... Do the shades in some quests have subtitles too? I am interested in the shade of the mansion's library.

That explains a lot about those documents Popola and Devola give you.
Is this explained in the third playthrough?
I just finished my second one tonight, felt so bad about killing some of those shades :(
I'm not sure, since I got all the NG+ info from a story FAQ and it didn't list what playthrough everything is from.

StuBurns said:

I agree that a lot of the stuff that was revealed later was quite bizarre.

The timeline in the above FAQ explains most of what the endings miss.

Clear said:

Thanks for the links. Reading the Drakengard one now and enjoying it.

StuBurns

Banned
1stStrike said:
Wha?! I don't get how you like B less =\ You're like the first that didn't like it.
I don't feel like it told me anything new, it just threw things down my throat it told me last time. The only really new thing (the post credits 'ball' bit) was really lame.
Nirolak said:

I'll give it a read thanks.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
StuBurns said:
I don't feel like it told me anything new, it just threw things down my throat it told me last time. The only really new thing (the post credits 'ball' bit) was really lame.

Giant spoilers:

The extra scenes are vital in illustrating that Nier's journey is essentially the climax of a blood ritual. The "bosses" are all sacrifices made to the dark forces who's powers were tapped by project Gestalt.

As in Drakengard, when a human makes a "pact" with the supernatural, there's a cruel and unusual price to be paid - what we see in the game is basically the "birds coming home to roost", so to speak.

The DLC kind of spells this all out with the cryptic verses between the sections, its also a nice summary of the basic premise of the game:

Door 1
This is the world of the recycled vessel, created to avoid the destruction of all.
The Black Scrawl. A lost destiny. A white book. A false truth.
A soldier of salt calling forth white death. He is Legion, the man who plunged the world into darkness.
The dragon's corpse brought death to the world, delivering unto it the power of the devil.
The black sickness stains the future. They journey to return to soulless vessels.

Door 2
The apocalypse divided the world in two: one that knows not day, and one which has never seen the night.
Black, and white. Thirteen pacts. The vessels' forms waver as they cross time and space.
The song of man has been drowned out. In its place, the scream of something inhuman.
The sky falls with the dragon. The world ends this day.
The puppet priest collects the accursed prayers and polishes the vessel.

Door 3
As long as this memory exists, as long as mankind has hope, a bloody battle will be waged over the holy domain of the body.
Foolish human. Foolish human. Foolish human. Foolish vessel.
All is paid. All is sacrifice.
Do not bring back the light. Do not bring back the vessel. Do not bring back the future. Do not bring it back.
Every beam of light is an invitation to death.

StuBurns said:
Haha I liked that part

Nirolak said:
I'm not sure, since I got all the NG+ info from a story FAQ and it didn't list what playthrough everything is from.

I thought all the extra B ending scenes were gutwrenchingly depressing. If you're not feeling that from the second playthrough then you're missing its point.

StuBurns

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
I thought all the extra B ending scenes were gutwrenchingly depressing. If you're not feeling that from the second playthrough then you're missing its point.
Or you missed the point the first time thru because you need it thrown in your face to notice.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
StuBurns said:
Or you missed the point the first time thru because you need it thrown in your face to notice.
Yeah, I felt Kaine's situation was pretty obvious up front.

ZephyrFate said:
However, by bizarre I was referring more to the timeline content and the hilarious connection to
the secret ending of Drakengard.

Top Bottom