• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

ultron87

Gravijah said:
I ended up fishing at the wrong spot even when I was already aware of the issue from the Joystiq review. Hehe.

Same here. I just assumed that the beach that the old guy who gives you the fishing rod was talking about was the beach that he was standing directly next to.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
VC shifted 141k (77k first week) in Japan according to Wiki.

I didn't think it did much globally, at least until its price got cut.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm quite enjoying the game so far, even with its kinks and rough edges, but the trail temple challange where you have to walk slowly made me turn off the game and lose complete interest in continuing.

I'll finish it at some point but I really dont have the patience for this kind of bullshit.

EatChildren said:
I'm quite enjoying the game so far, even with its kinks and rough edges, but the trail temple challange where you have to walk slowly made me turn off the game and lose complete interest in continuing.

I'll finish it at some point but I really dont have the patience for this kind of bullshit.
Hmm I don't remember having problems with that part, in fact I rather enjoyed those puzzle rooms. Don't know what to tell you bud. =\

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
EatChildren said:

Come on it isn't that hard! I got it in three shots anyways.

ultron87

EatChildren said:

Keep playing! The boss in that temple is so good.

Diamond

I enjoyed the temple too. Don't know if you have noticed EatChildren, but you can smash the red projectiles with your weapon. Some puzzles become much easier with that in mind.

Gribbix

EatChildren said:

Are you trying to dodge the projectiles by walking between them? I initially had quite a bit of trouble with that part until I realized you could destroy the blocks that shoot magic-projectiles.

That temple was pretty cool, with its zany rules, I agree. The boss was really easy though, I mean, beyond the first segment where it's a stack of rotating rings, there wasn't any challenge to it at all. The walk from Facade to the temple following the slow as molasses Fyra though... man, that tested my patience lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EatChildren said:

Turn to face one of the walls, enter block mode, and just side step through the entire area. It takes about a minute and a half that way, but you're guaranteed to succeed.

You might have to stop when they're actually about to hit you. I can't quite remember.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
That temple was pretty cool, with its zany rules, I agree. The boss was really easy though, I mean, beyond the first segment where it's a stack of rotating rings, there wasn't any challenge to it at all. The walk from Facade to the temple following the slow as molasses Fyra though... man, that tested my patience lol
You know, that slow walk with the girl through the sandstorm was actually really nice. There's moments in this game that have a resonance to them, like that or visiting the lighthouse, that make this really interesting to me.

Zeal

Banned
would give anything for a future expansion to this amazing, cult classic. haven't experienced such an emotional gaming journey since Xenogears. give me a few expansions beyond recycled vessel with the upcoming episodes for castlevania....i'd be in complete gaming bliss.

nier + demon's souls + castlevania = my new holy trinity of gaming.

EatChildren said:

The one that asks you not to run is solved by just holding down the defend button and sidestepping through the area, then line yourself up with the block and hit attack three times.

StuBurns

Banned
Just played the first little mini quest, already very much in love with the game. It has so much charm, and I actually think it looks great. The writing for a Japanese game is really good too. And the soundtrack is amazing. I'm disappointed I waited this long to pick it up.

Wool

Well I just finished the first playthrough, and I think the last 20 minutes or so were by far the best part of the game. I don't know whether it's long or short but I finished in 33 hours.

On the edge of getting the game, but some of the reviews are holding me back. Are the annoying gameplay segments like fishing part of the main story or are they just side quests you can avoid?

StuBurns said:
I've played more, it's an incredible game. It's like ICO if it were an action RPG.
I got the Ico vibe too. I guess in part due to the hazy nature of the visuals and the outstanding music.

riceandbeans said:
On the edge of getting the game, but some of the reviews are holding me back. Are the annoying gameplay segments like fishing part of the main story or are they just side quests you can avoid?
You have to fish once for a main quest, it's not too hard. After that you never have to do it again. Side quests are completely optional.

riceandbeans said:
You have to fish once in the main game and it's such a simple fish that you can get it without understanding how to fish.

The hardest part of that quest for reviewers was going to the X on the map.

StuBurns

Banned
Neuromancer said:
I got the Ico vibe too. I guess in part due to the hazy nature of the visuals and the outstanding music.
Those things for sure, also the kind of barren look to the environments, color wise it's very similar, and in terms of story I feel it's similar so far, I'm only a few hours in, but I'm fairly sure that the Shades are not really as antagonistic as they're made out, much like the shadows in Ico. It's also gameplay wise kind of similar, the focus is on environmental traversal with fairly mashy simplistic combat. In Ico it's a boy trying to save a girl who's infected with an illness that is shown as blackness/shadow. I kind of wish this was the Japanese PS3 version so I could play her brother instead, I feel like that was probably the 'real' version.

StuBurns said:
Those things for sure, also the kind of barren look to the environments, color wise it's very similar, and in terms of story I feel it's similar so far, I'm only a few hours in, but I'm fairly sure that the Shades are not really as antagonistic as they're made out, much like the shadows in Ico. In Ico it's a boy trying to save a girl who's infected with an illness that is shown as blackness/shadow. I kind of wish this was the Japanese PS3 version so I could play her brother instead, I feel like that was probably the 'real' version.
Nier's twists are entirely different from Ico's. You haven't seen anything yet. That whole "saving Yonah" thing isn't a game-long quest.

StuBurns

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Nier's twists are entirely different from Ico's. You haven't seen anything yet. That whole "saving Yonah" thing isn't a game-long quest.
Ico is only five hours long, is it a five hour long quest?

Regardless, I'm super excited to see more, it's awesome so far, and I can't believe how poorly it was received by the media. Maybe it goes to shit, but I literally can't see why.

The intro has me very confused and interested in the larger mystery.

ultron87

ZephyrFate said:
That whole "saving Yonah" thing isn't a game-long quest.

Um, what game did you play?

Sure,
after the time jump it becomes "get to the Shadowlord's castle" but that's just because you have to go there to save Yonah.

Lard

Banned
StuBurns said:

Regardless, I'm super excited to see more, it's awesome so far, and I can't believe how poorly it was received by the media. Maybe it goes to shit, but I literally can't see why.

I'm happy this seems to be getting word of mouth and consistent (but not huge) sales.

Didn't Sega reprint/rerelease Valkyria Chronicles after this happened?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
For the guy who can't decide...its 12 bucks at gamestop, 14 new. Trust me, it's worth it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Played some more yesterday. Just finished the first temple where you find Weiss. I'm quite enjoying the game so far.

I also like to go kill sheep just because.

StuBurns

Banned
Lard said:
I'm happy this seems to be getting word of mouth and consistent (but not huge) sales.

Didn't Sega reprint/rerelease Valkyria Chronicles after this happened?
The thing is, I'm not sure why I didn't buy it earlier, I don't buy that many games, ten to twenty a year maybe, and this is an action RPG published by SE, it should have been something I was following closely. I knew it excited, had seen some trailers, but just didn't care at all till I saw the JRPG recommendations thread a few days ago.

I don't know why, but SE failed to sell me, or even interest me at the time. Maybe a demo would have been required. They could have given the first 'dungeon' away I think.

Giard

Finished the game. 900 GS.

I think the game should have ended at Ending B. Ending C and D were unnecessary IMO. You learned nothing new, and you completely dominated every boss. There was not even a hint of difficulty left. And I was right earlier saying that during the tutorial you were the Shadowlord. If you listen carefully, he does say he's using the black book - Grimoire Noir.

Great game overall, recommend it to everyone. Great soundtrack too.

Apparently close to 30 people have either gone out and bought NIER or are planning on buying it thanks to TDI's Let's Play over it on SomethingAwful.

Yay.

1stStrike

Banned
Nice. This game is well on its way to becoming a cult classic. A couple of years from now you'll still see people mentioning Nier I bet :)

Lard

Banned
StuBurns said:
But were you always going to and just waiting out for a more attractive price or inspired by a thread or an article etc?

To be honest, it was in the back of my mind for a while, but the talk about it between here and RPGfan convinced me to get it, spur of the moment, when I saw it for sale.

I just finished the black and white mansion a little while ago before turning it off. The game has been fun and I love the character's bantering with one another, but I still haven't seen any exceptional qualities in terms of plotting that have made this game such a hit in this thread. How far until I reach a point where things switch gears and the really begins to shine?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I just finished the black and white mansion a little while ago before turning it off. The game has been fun and I love the character's bantering with one another, but I still haven't seen any exceptional qualities in terms of plotting that have made this game such a hit in this thread. How far until I reach a point where things switch gears and the really begins to shine?
Well your pretty much right before that.

InfiniteNine said:
Well your pretty much right before that.

Oh thank goodness. That is precisely what I wanted to hear haha. Popola sent me off to get some Vapor Moss or something and I was like... Ugh... fetch quest.. I think I'm gonna take a break lol.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oh thank goodness. That is precisely what I wanted to hear haha. Popola sent me off to get some Vapor Moss or something and I was like... Ugh... fetch quest.. I think I'm gonna take a break lol.
Yeah, might want to stock up on supplies before you actually do that if you get hit often.

Thanks for the tip. I completely ran out of medicinal herbs/healing salves and I've noticed that the game doesn't regen your health. I was fighting the boss in the mansion with one hit left on my life bar after Kaine popped up, and I kept dying and having to retry with that sliver of life :l

StuBurns said:

What I'm saying is that there's SO much more you have yet to see.

ultron87: Yes, but
it was all a big fucking plan to try and get you killed to feed the Shadowlord and have him take over Nier's Replicant form. Even if that was actually the will of humanity and you essentially fuck over that each time you kill the Shadowlord.

Wow... So I'm sitting at the choice screen after beating that last shade that accompanies Noire. I'm assuming that whatever I decide will affect the ending I get huh? I have no idea what to pick... This game just got fucking awesome, and that music... so fucking good.

iammeiam

Wow... So I'm sitting at the choice screen after beating that last shade that accompanies Noire. I'm assuming that whatever I decide will affect the ending I get huh? I have no idea what to pick... This game just got fucking awesome, and that music... so fucking good.

Choice doesn't come into play until your third ending. First play through will always be A, second will always be B.

iammeiam said:
Choice doesn't come into play until your third ending. First play through will always be A, second will always be B.

Yeah, I've just noticed this. And I was afraid that this game would be like 999 in that subsequent playthroughs would be necessary to get the whole story. How much time is needed overall to gain a satisfactory understanding of the story?

trejo

Yeah, I've just noticed this. And I was afraid that this game would be like 999 in that subsequent playthroughs would be necessary to get the whole story. How much time is needed overall to gain a satisfactory understanding of the story?
Well, gaining a satisfactory understanding of the story is up to you but it took me around 40-45 hours to get ending D, if that helps.

It took you THAT long? I beat playthrough 1 in 15 hours, could have been shorter but I spent some hours dilly dallying. Ending B took like 2 hours, lol. Ending C took me about 5 hours or so because I did some trophy hunting. But that's about it.

Top Bottom