• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
-Pyromaniac- said:
It took you THAT long? I beat playthrough 1 in 15 hours, could have been shorter but I spent some hours dilly dallying. Ending B took like 2 hours, lol. Ending C took me about 5 hours or so because I did some trophy hunting. But that's about it.
Hrm, I spent a lot of times on my first play through doing all the quests available in the first half. It's really time consuming~! My save has me gone through it about 8-9 times with about 50 hours right now.

trejo

Yeah, I took my time doing some quests I probably shouldn't have bothered with and standing around just listening to the music probably added to the playtime as well.

Gravijah

Combichristoffersen said:
Really enjoying Weiss' snarky comments. I've been doing some side quests today. Maybe I should go complete the haunted mansion..

Not sure if you know, but haunted mansion = point of no return, so you won't be able to do any sidequests from the first half (other than fishing) after that. You don't really have to do the sidequests unless you want the achieve/trophy, though.

Rufus

Gravijah said:
You don't really have to do the sidequests unless you want the achieve/trophy, though.
IF you do though, make sure to get a 51% of the sidequests completed before you go to the haunted house, it's not a 50/50 spread across both halves of the game.

Jex

InfiniteNine said:
Hrm, I spent a lot of times on my first play through doing all the quests available in the first half. It's really time consuming~! My save has me gone through it about 8-9 times with about 50 hours right now.
My first play through took just over 30 hours. I like to take my time, and acquire a pointless fortune.

I can't believe how few locations this game had. And that, even within those locations, there was so much repeated geometry.

Jexhius said:
My first play through took just over 30 hours. I like to take my time, and acquire a pointless fortune.

I can't believe how few locations this game had. And that, even within those locations, there was so much repeated geometry.
But the few locations surprisingly never bothered me. I guess it fit the context of the game nicely. At least that's what I thought.

Jex

-Pyromaniac- said:
But the few locations surprisingly never bothered me. I guess it fit the context of the game nicely. At least that's what I thought.
Well I did spend 15 more hours then you in those locations!

At least you walking speed was pretty fast, and they included a few ways to cut down on the travel time.

Wool

-Pyromaniac- said:

Oh you should have done some side quests then. I die a little inside every time they send me to the Lost Shrine. Opening all of those doors......

Did anyone ever do the Tree Root quest or the Treasure map quest? I got stuck in the Lost Shrine for literally two hours before looking up online that there is a hole you need to jump up into to leave.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey GAF, I'm about twelve hours in now, still loving it, I have a spoiler-ish question, I just want a straight answer without any spoilers for later on if that's cool.

What happens if you choose not to Kaine to stone and choose to let the monster come out?

Diamond

StuBurns said:
Hey GAF, I'm about twelve hours in now, still loving it, I have a spoiler-ish question, I just want a straight answer without any spoilers for later on if that's cool.

What happens if you choose not to Kaine to stone and choose to let the monster come out?

The game says you have no choice, because the big shade will destroy you all if Emil doesn't petrify Kaine. They just want YOU to make that choice. You are sent back to the same choice screen as long as you pick the second option.

iammeiam

rdelaney said:
Oh you should have done some side quests then. I die a little inside every time they send me to the Lost Shrine. Opening all of those doors......

Did anyone ever do the Tree Root quest or the Treasure map quest? I got stuck in the Lost Shrine for literally two hours before looking up online that there is a hole you need to jump up into to leave.

Oh god, that part. I think I went through the entire area twice before going to Google and wanting to kill myself. I was about five seconds away from just reloading my save prior to entry.

StuBurns

Banned
Diamond_4444 said:
The game says you have no choice, because the big shade will destroy you all if Emil doesn't petrify Kaine. They just want YOU to make that choice. You are sent back to the same choice screen as long as you pick the second option.
Thanks, I suspected as much, I would have tried it but I hadn't saved for more than an hour and I had to do all that boss fight with one shitty 30% health item. Was a painful experience.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
After I finished my bad day nerd raging over that stupid trial temple (and that single challange that was pissing me off), I'm back in full force and still really enjoying it. The trial temple boss was tons of fun to fight, and the forest/shrine area thingo with the text based questing was great too.

I'm probably alone here, but a lot of Nier gives me a Grasshopper vibe. Not so much in having an edgy punk style, but in that the game is very self aware and often totally disregards traditional mechanics in favour of something unexpected yet distinctly 'gamey'. Its like the game is experimenting with unconventional ideas every now and then.

I think thats what I like most about it. Its really rough around the edges, but somehow still quite refreshing and alluring.

MechaX

ShockingAlberto said:
They really should have had a +Game that lets you start from the beginning. There's shit I need to do in part one but don't want to be as underpowered.

Really strange that they didn't actually let you just start from the beginning (or at the very least give you an option). I wanted to hear the banter between Nier and Weiss/Kaine during the side quests but I wanted to be overleveled to the point where they weren't such massive pains in the ass.

Also, read some of the stories on Grimoire Nier. WTF at the "Banquet of the Witch" story featuring Kaine.
So... this super possessed shade arm compels Kaine to... fap every now and then? Also, on the Something Awful LP, read that there was some disturbing child prostitution subplot concerning Young Brother Nier, but eh.

StuBurns

Banned
EatChildren said:
After I finished my bad day nerd raging over that stupid trial temple (and that single challange that was pissing me off), I'm back in full force and still really enjoying it. The trial temple boss was tons of fun to fight, and the forest/shrine area thingo with the text based questing was great too.

I'm probably alone here, but a lot of Nier gives me a Grasshopper vibe. Not so much in having an edgy punk style, but in that the game is very self aware and often totally disregards traditional mechanics in favour of something unexpected yet distinctly 'gamey'. Its like the game is experimenting with unconventional ideas every now and then.

I think thats what I like most about it. Its really rough around the edges, but somehow still quite refreshing and alluring.
I blew thru the trials temple, I actually had more trouble doing the tiny little side on jumping from box to box. Which trial was it you had trouble with?

As for the written bit, I liked the first and third one I did, but I didn't get any logic to the 'directions' one, I just guessed and failed lots of times. Worst part of the game for me. The third one was awesome though, the 'art city'.

rdelaney said:

Well I did 30 quests to get that trophy and I agree, the only annoying place was the lost shrine.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
StuBurns said:
I blew thru the trials temple, I actually had more trouble doing the tiny little side on jumping from box to box. Which trial was it you had trouble with?

The one where you had to move slowly. I was tired, moody, and impatient, and quickly got frustrated at not being able to move quickly through the area. Someone here said to just hold block and sidestep through, which I did, and that made me get through it easily.

The platforming was crappy, yeah, but I dont think I had any trouble with it, or any of the other trials. It was just the slow one that was pissing me off.

One thing I've really hated so far was fighting the wolves. They're a pain in the arse.

StuBurns

Banned
EatChildren said:
The one where you had to move slowly. I was tired, moody, and impatient, and quickly got frustrated at not being able to move quickly through the area. Someone here said to just hold block and sidestep through, which I did, and that made me get through it easily.

The platforming was crappy, yeah, but I dont think I had any trouble with it, or any of the other trials. It was just the slow one that was pissing me off.

One thing I've really hated so far was fighting the wolves. They're a pain in the arse.
Yeah, the wolves irritate me, I've just been rolling and attacking my way thru so far but despite their large physical size I feel like their hit boxes are a lot smaller or something, I miss them more often.

With the slow trial I just turned the camera and stopped between streams, there was a large enough gap to be able to stand and not get hit. What I didn't like about that section was the inconsistent rules, not the 'game' rules each room sets, but like some times I could stand on top of the boxes that shoot, and they'd keep shooting, sometimes that'd cause them to blow up and hurt me. Very strange.

As you said, it's a little rough, but I'm pretty blown away so far. The only bit I think actively sucked was searching for the kids who improve weapons' mom. I hope I never have to go back there, and I'm pretty sure I will have to.

EDIT:

I was wondering how far in I am, I'm on 13 hours and I'm about to get my first boat ride? I thought I was about half way, but I think there are only two more story based trophies left to get. Also, I was looking at the trophy list, and I think I got a big spoiler which sucks ass.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Gravijah said:
Not sure if you know, but haunted mansion = point of no return, so you won't be able to do any sidequests from the first half (other than fishing) after that. You don't really have to do the sidequests unless you want the achieve/trophy, though.

Ah, thanks. I haven't done the haunted mansion yet, so I'll be sure to do all the side quests before I go there :D

Caelestis

MechaX said:
Also, read some of the stories on Grimoire Nier. WTF at the "Banquet of the Witch" story featuring Kaine.
So... this super possessed shade arm compels Kaine to... fap every now and then? Also, on the Something Awful LP, read that there was some disturbing child prostitution subplot concerning Young Brother Nier, but eh.
That subplot is described in the "Red and Black" story of the Grimoire Nier...
Since he was just a kid, people did not have much jobs to give him so he had to resort to that in order to survive. It's disturbing how much they go into details, too, with tying his hair back so it wouldn't touch his shoulders after what was done to him... ugh... ><

StuBurns said:
Yeah, the wolves irritate me, I've just been rolling and attacking my way thru so far but despite their large physical size I feel like their hit boxes are a lot smaller or something, I miss them more often.

With the slow trial I just turned the camera and stopped between streams, there was a large enough gap to be able to stand and not get hit. What I didn't like about that section was the inconsistent rules, not the 'game' rules each room sets, but like some times I could stand on top of the boxes that shoot, and they'd keep shooting, sometimes that'd cause them to blow up and hurt me. Very strange.

As you said, it's a little rough, but I'm pretty blown away so far. The only bit I think actively sucked was searching for the kids who improve weapons' mom. I hope I never have to go back there, and I'm pretty sure I will have to.

EDIT:

I was wondering how far in I am, I'm on 13 hours and I'm about to get my first boat ride? I thought I was about half way, but I think there are only two more story based trophies left to get. Also, I was looking at the trophy list, and I think I got a big spoiler which sucks ass.
The Junk Heap is awesome. Going back there is fine, ESPECIALLY in the second playthrough.

StuBurns said:

As for the written bit, I liked the first and third one I did, but I didn't get any logic to the 'directions' one, I just guessed and failed lots of times. Worst part of the game for me. The third one was awesome though, the 'art city'.
You... hated the text adventures? WTF. They're some of the best written sequences in like... all of gaming.

StuBurns

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
You... hated the text adventures? WTF. They're some of the best written sequences in like... all of gaming.
I didn't say 'hated', and I said I loved two of them. For such a literary fan, you can't read for shit.

StuBurns

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Oh, I can read pretty damn well, I just like picking out the words that annoy me most. :)
Well, regardless, no, I did not hate them, I loved two of them, and wasn't keen on one of them because I failed to see any logic behind the directions you were asked to give, so I had to do it a few times.

I thought the Art City one was really awesome.

I haven't really experienced any interactive fiction besides Digital: A Love Story and that sequel to Chrono Trigger, and these were certainly better than those, I was impressed.

StuBurns said:
Well, regardless, no, I did not hate them, I loved two of them, and wasn't keen on one of them because I failed to see any logic behind the directions you were asked to give, so I had to do it a few times.

I thought the Art City one was really awesome.

I haven't really experienced any interactive fiction besides Digital: A Love Story and that sequel to Chrono Trigger, and these were certainly better than those, I was impressed.
Have you gotten to the second story in the Forest of Myth in the second half of the game? That one is mindblowing, and also central to the overall plot.

Sagitario

ZephyrFate said:
Have you gotten to the second story in the Forest of Myth in the second half of the game? That one is mindblowing, and also central to the overall plot.

The one before you get the key?
Where the tree asks you a color and a number?

sonicmj1

StuBurns said:

There's no logic to the directions one, I'm pretty sure. You just have 3 choices that might head out, and two guesses to pick the right one. I messed up on my first attempt, but it meant I got to see all the rooms.

I found the imagery in that one really haunting.

StuBurns

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
I haven't gone back there yet, I've got to the 'five years later' which I guess you mean by the second half. Next time I play I'm going for my first boat ride apparently. I'll look forward to the later stories.

ZephyrFate said:
Really, huh. I was pretty much confused by that point.

Einbroch

Banned
The hell at the Forest of Myth. I was so bored half-way through reading it I was just jamming X. Who thought that was a good idea? I did enjoy the riddle about one, two, and three people, though.

I just got to the part where
Emil gets all ugly-fied
, and the game is starting to pick up. That boss was hella easy, but the story and pace are really picking up.

1stStrike

Banned
Einbroch said:
The hell at the Forest of Myth. I was so bored half-way through reading it I was just jamming X. Who thought that was a good idea? I did enjoy the riddle about one, two, and three people, though.

I just got to the part where
Emil gets all ugly-fied
, and the game is starting to pick up. That boss was hella easy, but the story and pace are really picking up.

To each their own, I guess. I loved the forest of myth!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So now that I know 8-4 did the translation to this, I'm curious as to how big 8-4 is as a company. Can I assume that the guys on the podcast had a big hand in writing this dialogue, or do they have many many people to tackle all this stuff? I did see John post at the release. Guess I'm just curious about how translating jobs work.

StuBurns

Banned
mattiewheels said:
So now that I know 8-4 did the translation to this, I'm curious as to how big 8-4 is as a company. Can I assume that the guys on the podcast had a big hand in writing this dialogue, or do they have many many people to tackle all this stuff? I did see John post at the release. Guess I'm just curious about how translating jobs work.
It's interesting, they did this which is wonderfully localized and I believe they did SO4 which is pretty terrible.

Neuromancer said:
Really, huh. I was pretty much confused by that point.
The tree and the Shade represent the cycle as well as point out the humanity that Nier is slaughtering as he kills more and more Shades.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
StuBurns said:
It's interesting, they did this which is wonderfully localized and I believe they did SO4 which is pretty terrible.

No matter how many times you polish a turd.... it's still a turd. :p

StuBurns

Banned
Oichi said:
No matter how many times you polish a turd.... it's still a turd. :p
This is very true. I can imagine them head in hand when they're being told how they should convey the original writing authentically at all times.

I wish they'd go into the process more on their show actually, they never talk about their work.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
StuBurns said:
This is very true. I can imagine them head in hand when they're being told how they should convey the original writing authentically at all times.

I wish they'd go into the process more on their show actually, they never talk about their work.
I know! I figured that was going to be a part of their podcast but they kinda shy away from talking about their process besides monster hunter stuff.

kpx0

Banned
ive been waiting to get this game but want to get it at $15 shipped or less for PS3. ive seen it at tha price point a couple times but missed the opportunity

kpx0 said:
ive been waiting to get this game but want to get it at $15 shipped or less for PS3. ive seen it at tha price point a couple times but missed the opportunity
Well if your in the US, you can just go to your local Gamestop.

Top Bottom