• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

EatChildren said:
Yeah, fine, but they're still shit. I dont care how people want to excuse it; most of them are terribly designed from a gameplay perspective and wouldn't be missed.
Maybe the mechanics of them aren't always the hottest but there are little storylines/vignettes that were really interesting to me. The lighthouse lady story arc I thought was very poignant.

DJ_Lae

hamchan said:
Zzzz I'm feeling pretty lazy about getting all the weapons to see ending C and D. To those who've gotten it, how long would you say it takes?

A couple hours, maybe - more if you haven't gotten any of the sidequest weapons. None of them are too obnoxious other than the one that requires you to run to the top of the tower to get an item and back again.

I got ending B last night. I have to thank all of the Nier fans in this thread for piquing my interest by championing this game in various "recommendation" threads. I don't think I've ever played a game that touched me in the way this game had. For all of the production values that's featured in other titles, I was awestruck that Nier propelled past their efforts on the sheer verve of its beautiful music, evocative writing, and emotive voice work alone. This game that had virtually no budget was able to move me with just some words over a black screen, and a poignant musical piece accompanying it. Incredible. Never have I played a game that had such a pervasively
miserable tone to it. The fate that befalls nearly every character borders upon sadistic on the writer's behalf, and by the time I had completed Ending B the game had instilled such a sense of grief in me that I nearly cried.
No game has ever accomplished that. What a surprise title; it's surely one of my favorite games ever for that reason alone.

Thank the gods for iTunes - Just picked up the glorious OST for 16 bucks.

LaneDS

Just finished it for the first time. How different is
the second playthrough? I started it up and after 20-30 minutes of reading (which was great, just less great when it's 2 a.m. and I have work in the morning) it appears to be the same thing as before. I imagine some of the closed off areas will be open on the second time through? I guess my question is this: is it worth it?

Really enjoyed the game in any case, and will be recommending it to my friends who might also enjoy this type of game.

Gravijah

LaneDS said:
the second playthrough? I started it up and after 20-30 minutes of reading (which was great, just less great when it's 2 a.m. and I have work in the morning) it appears to be the same thing as before. I imagine some of the closed off areas will be open on the second time through? I guess my question is this: is it worth it?

Really enjoyed the game in any case, and will be recommending it to my friends who might also enjoy this type of game.

There are new cutscenes in NG+ and you must watch them. Make sure not to skip any of 'em.

LaneDS

Gravijah said:
There are new cutscenes in NG+ and you must watch them. Make sure not to skip any of 'em.

Excellent, thanks. Figured there would be, but wanted to double check. Will try to make my way through it this weekend.

LaneDS said:

NG+ is pretty much the boss rush of the second half of the game with new cutscenes. Feel free to skip for play 3.

Syril

LaneDS said:

Basically,
it's the same as before, except you can now understand the shade language. You can hear what the shades you fought have been saying before, and there are some extra cutscenes that focus on them. I think it's definitely worth playing.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Ughhhh the Junk Heap is such a goddamn boring place, but I need to grind for 10 titanium alloys for that kitchen knife quest. Now I only need to finish up the last few side quests before I'm off to the Shadowlord's castle.

Combichristoffersen said:
Ughhhh the Junk Heap is such a goddamn boring place, but I need to grind for 10 titanium alloys for that kitchen knife quest. Now I only need to finish up the last few side quests before I'm off to the Shadowlord's castle.

After a while the song that plays there drove me nuts. It was really nice at first but after a while I had to mute it.

It's like a 50% drop off the big robots behind the bomb walls.

GrumpyAlien said:
After a while the song that plays there drove me nuts. It was really nice at first but after a while I had to mute it.
The only song that needs to be muted in Nier is the Lost Shrine's song.

I still need one weapon before I have them all and apparently you can obtain it by doing a mission from the king, however I can not find him, I have already cleared the temple as far as I know, and has searched in his mansion.

DJ_Lae

ZephyrFate said:
The only song that needs to be muted in Nier is the Lost Shrine's song.

I would have to agree. That you have to replay that shrine level three or four times (depending on sidequests) makes it even more grating.

DJ_Lae

Prophet Steve said:
I still need one weapon before I have them all and apparently you can obtain it by doing a mission from the king, however I can not find him, I have already cleared the temple as far as I know, and has searched in his mansion.

I believe you have to do another quest before that one unlocks - try the guards near the front gate. Once that's done he should show up and give you the quest.

DJ_Lae said:
I believe you have to do another quest before that one unlocks - try the guards near the front gate. Once that's done he should show up and give you the quest.
I have already done that. Is it that mission that you have to kill all kinds of stuff in a temple? With that bandit? I have already done that, but that was on a previous playthrough. I cannot remember if I got a quest afterwards, but it doesn't show in my quest logs.

Zachack said:
Yes, which I covered. And apparently you disagree with Cavia.
I do, definitely.
Nier is way too bloodthirsty to simply be called ignorant... the same argument can be made of Caim, who slaughters everyone in his path to save Furiae. Both totally do not even care if their enemies are human or otherwise.

Combichristoffersen

pancakesandsex said:
It's like a 50% drop off the big robots behind the bomb walls.

Yeah, but it's having to fight through all those small robots that makes the Junk Heap so boring. But at least the kitchen knife quest, pink moonflower seeds quest and research something something quest are the only ones left (well, beside the DLC, that is).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EatChildren said:
Yeah, fine, but they're still shit. I dont care how people want to excuse it; most of them are terribly designed from a gameplay perspective and wouldn't be missed.
Yeah, after about five of them I just gave up and went on with the main game, and I'm the kind of player who plays every sidequest in games.

Syril

ZephyrFate said:
I do, definitely.
Nier is way too bloodthirsty to simply be called ignorant... the same argument can be made of Caim, who slaughters everyone in his path to save Furiae. Both totally do not even care if their enemies are human or otherwise.

Yeah,
both Weiss and Emil explicitly tell Nier at various points that they think shades are intelligent. Both times, Nier acknowledges this and says he doesn't care.

DeVeAn

I believe I am only missing the iron pipe for the 100% weapons. Do I get that from ending B or is it a specific side quest?
On that note man thank goodness only 30 some of these are needed. I think that they are a poor distraction from the main story. A lot of the quests are boooooring as fuck.

sonicmj1

DeVeAn said:
I believe I am only missing the iron pipe for the 100% weapons. Do I get that from ending B or is it a specific side quest?
On that note man thank goodness only 30 some of these are needed. I think that they are a poor distraction from the main story. A lot of the quests are boooooring as fuck.

You can find it after completing the crystal ball sidequest, which is the second sidequest that makes you go back in the Lost Shrine.

It's inside the building during the vision you get as a reward

sonicmj1

Yeah, but it's having to fight through all those small robots that makes the Junk Heap so boring. But at least the kitchen knife quest, pink moonflower seeds quest and research something something quest are the only ones left (well, beside the DLC, that is).

Worst quest in a game filled with awful quests.

Hope you enjoy messing with your system clock.

Foxix Von

By the Shadowlord... these are not phrases that go together. Best of luck to you.

Anyway, just posting back in because I wanted to say that I'm still amazed at just how much this game is sticking with me. I keep thinking back to all these moments in the game and just... I don't know, relishing them. It's amazing how strongly I associate the soundtrack to specific moments in the game. :(

I've got to start planning a yearly replay of this or something and I've been putting off my reading of Grimoire Nier for waaaay too long.

Combichristoffersen

EatChildren said:
HAVE FUN WITH THAT

sonicmj1 said:
Worst quest in a game filled with awful quests.

Hope you enjoy messing with your system clock.

I'm having quite fun with it, I find it to be a challenging, yet rewarding, quest.

It's a steaming pile of rancid hippo diarrhea, that's what it is. What a goddamn frustrating quest. And yeah, I've been messing with the system clock. When I finally get those seeds, I'm gonna ram them so hard up the client's asshole he can grow those damn pink moonflowers in his fucking esophagus.

StuBurns

Banned
I have a quick question about the location of an encounter, end game spoilers below:

In the final confrontation with the twins, you're in a room with a large glass window and half the room is raised, is this an allusion to something else? At the time the area really struck me with a sense of deja vu. I could be completely mistaken, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The second playthrough is mighty difficult due to how gut wrenchingly depressing everything is. I feel like such a fucking piece of shit.

DeVeAn said:
Yea, this game is sad. The 2nd time through with the wolves man got me lol.

Same here. It still felt like I was kind of being manipulated emotionally, but I did shed a real tear during that scene.

Acquiesc3

Banned
I enjoyed second playthrough more, but I still can't help but think that the added perspective and ending should have been combined with the first playthrough.

I just think those who don't bother with a second playthrough are missing out on a more complete experience. But then again.. I haven't seen Ending C or D yet.

I'm kinda hoping the last 2 endings are different and not just something that compliments the first ending (like Ending B).

Acquiesc3 said:
I enjoyed second playthrough more, but I still can't help but think that the added perspective and ending should have been combined with the first playthrough.

I just think those who don't bother with a second playthrough are missing out on a more complete experience. But then again.. I haven't seen Ending C or D yet.

I'm kinda hoping the last 2 endings are different and not just something that compliments the first ending (like Ending B).
ehh I think the first playthrough is enough because it makes the story have more depth/complexity. The second playthrough pretty much spoonfeeds you all the little details. But I think both are necessary!

So I just finished my first playthrough of Nier, and
I think it is the bleakest game I've ever played. Seriously, starting from some of the sidequests in the first part and just growing in intensity after the time skip, it's just one gut-punch after another. Even the light of the ending felt empty; how is it possible to go back after that? Is there even anything to go back to? I feel like everything I did was pointless, but at that same time I don't know what I could have done differently. I'm so drained.

Honestly, I don't know what the second playthrough could add since the story feels so complete, even though of course not everything is clear. Guess I'll give it a try.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Acquiesc3 said:

I like it as it offers a second perspective on events you've already experienced, which is important for emotional delivery. All the extra information is made all the more depressing as you know what the game is asking of you, and you've already done it. Had it all been on the first playthrough it would have felt a bit more disjointed, and run the risk of
criminalising Nier and making him utterly despicable as a protagonist while still dragging you through the game.
I think it works well on the second playthrough as it gives you a chance to reflect, and go "oh shit".

Im finding it pretty hard to play though, just because its so goddamn depressing and low. There's no silver lining at all, which was at least there in some form during the first playthrough.

EatChildren

Finished Ending B. TLDR: ;_;

Pretty much doubled, nay trippled, my love for the game. The additional cutscenes were extremely valuable in how simple they were, yet how much they added to the perspective of events. Learning more about Kanei was great.

One thing that did confuse me about Ending B;
When human Nier remembers back to the game's opening, the perspective of events is different. Yona is no longer cursed by the book, and they sit and nom nom on the cookie.

Why does he remember events like this? Or is he is he wishing for an alternate history?

If this is explained in C or D, dont tell me.

hosannainexcelsis said:
I think it is the bleakest game I've ever played. Seriously, starting from some of the sidequests in the first part and just growing in intensity after the time skip, it's just one gut-punch after another. Even the light of the ending felt empty; how is it possible to go back after that? Is there even anything to go back to? I feel like everything I did was pointless, but at that same time I don't know what I could have done differently. I'm so drained.

Honestly, I don't know what the second playthrough could add since the story feels so complete, even though of course not everything is clear. Guess I'll give it a try.
lol if you thought the first playthrough was like that wait till the second.

EatChildren said:
Finished Ending B. TLDR: ;_;

Pretty much doubled, nay trippled, my love for the game. The additional cutscenes were extremely valuable in how simple they were, yet how much they added to the perspective of events. Learning more about Kanei was great.

One thing that did confuse me about Ending B;
When human Nier remembers back to the game's opening, the perspective of events is different. Yona is no longer cursed by the book, and they sit and nom nom on the cookie.

Why does he remember events like this? Or is he is he wishing for an alternate history?

If this is explained in C or D, dont tell me.
Well this is just my interpretation but I thought that was kind of like a
heaven/afterlife for the human/shade versions of Nier/Yonah, not exactly a true flashback.

Gravijah

Neuromancer said:
Well this is just my interpretation but I thought that was kind of like a
heaven/afterlife for the human/shade versions of Nier/Yonah, not exactly a true flashback.

That's what I took it as, too.

Foxix Von

hosannainexcelsis said:

It adds even more sadness and despair.

1stStrike

Banned
One thing that is amazingly apparently about this game is that it's not out to hold your hand, make you all bubbly inside and put a smile on your face. It wants to wrench you heart out, stomp on it and then laugh at you as you try to super glue it back together. :lol

Zeal

Banned
you know, there seriously needs to be...

[incoming story-related spoiler rant]

one final DLC that eventually adds a little fucking HOPE to this bleak world. don't get me wrong, i totally dig the fact that Nier's creator went for an extremely sad and hopeless world for Nier -- this was his design philosophy -- but i think it would be great to add an ending that even hints that another possible replacement for the Shadowlord can be found. a way to break the cycle and the hope that shades and cloned humans can even one day live in peace. or a grand, super happy ending in which shades can be returned to their bodies and the cloned humans could help them rebuild a world for both of them.

i mean, as it stands right now, both the true humans and their clones are fucked. everyone just dies and the world ends, which is honestly just overly hopeless and renders the entire journey pointless from start to finish. it's just overkill.

either way, Nier is one of the most brilliant game stories ever written, and if I get a sequel to Nier (now that Demon's Souls 2 is coming), and then possibly a Chrono Trigger 2 one day....well, the holy trinity will be complete and Jesus will come down from the sky or something lol.

Top Bottom