• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

ShockingAlberto said:
Kiiiind of.

Suffice to say, Ending A tells half the story.
I don't even think that's fair to say. I think in playthrough A a lot of the story is implied, but not exactly missing. It can definitely be inferred. Playthrough B just makes it more obvious/detailed.

ZephyrFate said:
Uh, Ending A is far from a 'happily ever after' ending.

Humanity is now completely doomed to die out from the Shades, since no one is around to put Shade (human) souls in Replicant bodies
Really? Maybe I just didn't understand the ending correctly then. Most of that about the shades at the end went over my head, so I assumed
once the Shadowlord was killed they wouldn't be threat. Also Yonah was not only alive at the end but no longer seemed to be suffering from the black scrawl.

Since it sounds like Ending B will answer a lot of my questions and give some closure on the story I'll make sure to run through the game again.

Azure Phoenix said:
Really? Maybe I just didn't understand the ending correctly then. Most of that about the shades at the end went over my head, so I assumed
once the Shadowlord was killed they wouldn't be threat. Also Yonah was not only alive at the end but no longer seemed to be suffering from the black scrawl.

Since it sounds like Ending B will answer a lot of my questions and give some closure on the story I'll make sure to run through the game again.
The Shadowlord isn't some key to the Shade threat. It was explained earlier that he had the power to calm the Shades and make them subservient. Without him around, the remaining Shades will all go berserk, uncontrollable. Notice how they acquired armor in the second half of the game? The Shadowlord was making them more intelligent, more 'human'. Without Devola and Popola, the process of imbuing Replicant bodies with human souls dies out completely.

As for the Black Scrawl, the director of the game in an interview basically gave an answer akin to "You seriously think she's gonna live? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH"

Also, notice how the cutscene has a YOUNGER Nier and Yonah? Maybe that's a flashback...

PC Gaijin

I finished up Ending D and am done with this game. Decent story, but the all weapons upgrade achievement is bullshit. I farmed for about 15 hours altogether and have everything upgraded except needing 1 more subdued bracelet. Tried for about five hours with no drops. Screw that.

MechaX

ZephyrFate said:
Uh, Ending A is far from a 'happily ever after' ending.

Humanity is now completely doomed to die out from the Shades, since no one is around to put Shade (human) souls in Replicant bodies

And to make matters even worse,
without the Shadowlord around, eventually every Shade will start to relapse. When a Shade relapses, the Black Scrawl eventually occurs in that Shade's replicant. So even assuming that humanity can fend off Shades in the generation they have left, they'll kick the bucket anyway due to the Black Scrawl.

meltingparappa said:
My copy from amazon should arrive tomorrow. To summarize 72 pages while trying to avoid spoilers, I should
  • Not go nuts on sidequests
  • Fish where the big giant "X" is
  • Play on normal
  • Grind the robots in the junk heap if you need to grind
  • Buy a phoenix spear from the Facade
  • Ending 'B' is necessary
  • Endings 'C' and 'D' are a pain in the butt to get, but ending 'D' is the point of playing the game
Anything else?
DO THE BOAR QUEST

ShockingAlberto said:
DO THE BOAR QUEST
ALSO DO LIFE IN THE SANDS THE FLOWER SIDEQUEST

HnMEn.jpg

ZephyrFate said:
The Shadowlord isn't some key to the Shade threat. It was explained earlier that he had the power to calm the Shades and make them subservient. Without him around, the remaining Shades will all go berserk, uncontrollable.
Can I ask what part that was explained in? I'm starting to think I may have missed (or not paid attention to) some serious plot points since I can't recall ever seeing that mentioned.

warpaint

Just started to re-play this as my old save is on my dead PS3. Would to see the end to this game. How long would you say the first play would take to finish?

MechaX

As a follower of the LP on Something Awful, I was wondering how long it would take for that "NIER HATES FLOWERS" pic to start circulating (and as a result, the entirety of the stupid comic).

Azure Phoenix said:
Can I ask what part that was explained in? I'm starting to think I may have missed (or not paid attention to) some serious plot points since I can't recall ever seeing that mentioned.
It occurs early on in Act 2, when the group is reflecting on what the Shadowlord has done.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
InfiniteNine said:
Well if extra story content makes one official brother Nier is the official one.
Eh, comics or not. Father Nier is more badass and in my perfect world, also canon.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just made it to the second half of the game.. really loved the setpiece at the end of the first half, you can totally see how much heart and soul went into this game regardless of the small budget the team had. Game also has one of the most memorable RPG soundtracks since the 32bit era - shame this game got so much hate by the ignorant American gaming press.

Boar Drifting is the greatest thing ever.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Has anyone ever gotten 100% of the words? I got bored with the gameplay and I'd gotten through all the endings, so I couldn't bring myself to try to get 100%. I wonder if anything happens once you do.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
djtiesto said:
Boar Drifting is the greatest thing ever.

I'm so happy that practically everyone who I forced to play Nier spent at least half an hour turning lazy figure-of-eights around the bridge supports. Even in the unlikely event that Nier doesn't end up being my game of the generation, seeing

BOAR CONTROLS

O MOUNT/DISMOUNT
X ACCELERATE
R1/R2 DRIFT

will certainly be one of my happiest moments.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
w00t the OT! Just passed the mid-point of the game. Didn't expect the twist there =O. Game is... awesome. I can start playing and time will just fly and fly.

Relix said:
w00t the OT! Just passed the mid-point of the game. Didn't expect the twist there =O. Game is... awesome. I can start playing and time will just fly and fly.
Wait till you get to the end. You think the halfway point was a twist?

Anony

just finished ending a
so, the first level/tutorial played was old earth, and the final boss was the guy played in the first level?

so, i dont think i'll play this through to again to get the other 3 endings
youtube here i come

the game was better than i thought, but it wasnt anything spectacular
the VAs were decent, weiss was VERY good, the main dude was alright, kaine was alright, emill was shit
i would say weiss save the entire dub, and weiss was the most interesting character a matter of fact

Anony said:
youtube here i come

The thing is the best part's of your second play through don't happen at the end. You actually have to play through it to see what I mean, but trust me when I say it's worth it. It also takes literally no time to do since you know exactly where to go and what to do.

Shalashaska161 said:
The thing is the best part's of your second play through don't happen at the end. You actually have to play through it to see what I mean, but trust me when I say it's worth it. It also takes literally no time to do since you know exactly where to go and what to do.
The final ending also loses all of its impact if you don't actually play it.

Anony said:
starting it now,
semi read the kaine wall of text

so are the events different?
You realize that the backstory of Kaine is kinda important to her character right?

Then again, if you play it a third time you're given a chance to read them again. They are awesome and well-written. The events are not different but there are a lot of extra cutscenes and extra dialogue in battle.

Though that might be confusing if you didn't read all of Kaine's story.

jcm

Anony said:
just finished ending a
so, the first level/tutorial played was old earth, and the final boss was the guy played in the first level?

youtube here i come

Don't do it man. You've already invested lots of time in the game. Play through for ending B at least. And be sure to re-watch the cut scenes. It's very much worth it.

I know there is some kind of DLC where you get to play as Young Nier, but is there any way to use that look throughout the main game? Or is it tied solely to the DLC content?

RPGCrazied

robotzombie said:
I know there is some kind of DLC where you get to play as Young Nier, but is there any way to use that look throughout the main game? Or is it tied solely to the DLC content?

DLC only.

DidntKnowJack said:
Picked up a copy of this a few days back at Best Buy for $11.99. Haven't cracked it open yet, but I couldn't pass up a game for $12.

Picked it up for $15, well worth the price, really enjoying the game so far.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Got the 4 endings on the game
yes I cheated and backed up my saves
- did every trophy except the speedrun and weapons upgrading... I think I've had enough of this game for now. But yeah, it was still absolutely excellent, even if there were a few flaws or instances where they could've "trimmed the fat" (such as the unnecessary upgrading system).

Is there any reason to really be tied to any kind of guide/walkthrough at all? I don't want to miss important stuff, but I'd rather just be able to turn the game on and go.

I know there are sidequests which become unavailable after a certain point, so as long as I know when that point is and make sure I tie up loose ends before then, I should be good?

Is there any weird "if you don't talk to random old man in town in this 15 minute time span you can't get the best ending/sword/etc?"

jcm

robotzombie said:
Is there any reason to really be tied to any kind of guide/walkthrough at all? I don't want to miss important stuff, but I'd rather just be able to turn the game on and go.

I know there are sidequests which become unavailable after a certain point, so as long as I know when that point is and make sure I tie up loose ends before then, I should be good?

Is there any weird "if you don't talk to random old man in town in this 15 minute time span you can't get the best ending/sword/etc?"

Nope, no reason the use a guide. I didn't use one until I was trying to get all weapons for ending C. There's nothing missable.

Ledsen

So I just bought this based on GAF hype... currently I'm just getting annoyed by the stupid sidequests that kill the pacing and make me never want to play the game again. Like this one I have now, some guy wanted two girls to sing in his tavern, so I ask the girls, one says she needs a special drink from another town before she'll do it, I go there, the barkeep says I have to find 10 each of some rare ingredients I only have like 2 each of... and in this other quest, I need to catch 10 god damn fish. Is there any point (story or character development wise) in actually doing these or will they simply make me hate the game?

Ledsen said:
So I just bought this based on GAF hype... currently I'm just getting annoyed by the stupid sidequests. Like this one I have now, some guy wanted two girls to sing in his tavern, so I ask the girls, one says she needs a special drink from another town before she'll do it, I go there, the barkeep says I have to find 10 each of some rare ingredients I only have like 2 each of... and in this other quest, I need to catch 10 god damn fish. Is there any point (story or character development wise) in actually doing these or will they simply make me hate the game?
The sidequests flesh out the world and characters, but if a sidequest you're doing is a pain in the ass (and no quest in the first half of the game is that tough, seriously, just put a little more effort in), skip it. I would advise that you do not skip any quests in the first part of the game.

Ledsen

ZephyrFate said:
The sidequests flesh out the world and characters, but if a sidequest you're doing is a pain in the ass (and no quest in the first half of the game is that tough, seriously, just put a little more effort in), skip it. I would advise that you do not skip any quests in the first part of the game.

I spent like 20 minutes running around trying to find a third Royal Herb or whatever for an earlier sidequests, and now they want me to get 10 mouse tails and 10 lizard tails. It feels like a joke to be honest, almost like they're trying to make it a grind-fest Korean MMORPG, and I don't really want to "put a little more effort in" doing MMO collectathons if I can avoid it in any way. There's nothing I hate more in games than time wasters with no purpose other than to pad out the game length.

edit: If anyone could provide me with a list of sidequests that give me some substantial reward (not simply some money and a few dialogue boxes) and that I "should" do, that would be great.

Ledsen said:
I spent like 20 minutes running around trying to find a third Royal Herb or whatever for an earlier sidequests, and now they want me to get 10 mouse tails and 10 lizard tails. It feels like a joke to be honest, almost like they're trying to make it a grind-fest Korean MMORPG, and I don't really want to "put a little more effort in" doing MMO collectathons if I can avoid it in any way. There's nothing I hate more in games than time wasters with no purpose other than to pad out the game length.

Just search for "nier sidequests".

That one is actually easy, believe it or not. Lizards are all over the northern plains. Mice spawn in the Junk heap. Just wait until you try and upgrade weapons.

Most of the sidequests reward money, you can skip them if you want to. A few reward weapons, those matter if you are trying for Ending C/D.

Sometimes the items are buyable, but you need to be careful - the reward can be less than the cost of buying the ingredients!

Top Bottom