• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

I dunno, it's not really a hidden beach. If you did like an extra minute of exploring you'd see that there's a hidden beach and a path to the lighthouse.

I never paid any attention to the Joystiq stuff but I had explored the town before I went to do the story mission.

My girlfriend, who loves games but will freely admit she is not good at them, managed to figure it out easily enough.

oracrest

ZephyrFate said:
I dunno, it's not really a hidden beach. If you did like an extra minute of exploring you'd see that there's a hidden beach and a path to the lighthouse.

My issue wasn't that I couldn't find the right beach, but that I didn't know I was at the wrong beach.

oracrest

ZephyrFate said:
That's... what the big red X tells you...

Now that I think about it, I did see the red X, but assumed it was pointing at the town entrance, and ultimately back to your house where the fish gets delivered.

I can tell I've touched a Nier/Joystiq review nerve by bringing this up, but can you really not see how one might find this confusing?

oracrest said:
Now that I think about it, I did see the red X, but assumed it was pointing at the town entrance, and ultimately back to your house where the fish gets delivered.

I can tell I've touched a Nier/Joystiq review nerve by bringing this up, but can you really not see how one might find this confusing?
Honestly... nope. :/

1stStrike

Banned
coldvein said:
just came in here to ask "wtf is up with the fishing, I CANT DO IT" and it is currently being discussed. heh..

Heh, and has been discussed many times in this thread ;)

I raged about it at one point too like WTF IS WITH THIS GOD DAMN FISHING?

*looks at map*

"Oh."

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I just started up on the PS3 version this weekend. I like it a lot, although I'm not very far in (up to the junk heap). It reminds me of a non-shitty Infinite Undiscovery for some reason. The graphics aren't anything to write home about, but they get the job done. Music is really nice, and the story seems a bit quaint so far... perhaps I have to play more to see where all the praise comes from?

What I really like about the game is how fast your character moves - especially with the ability to jump and dash, it really makes traveling through the environments a blast. The sidequest memo is great too, reminiscent of The Witcher's, a bit. The best parts of the game so far are the goats who kick you, and ***BOAR DRIFTING***

The only things I don't like are, the boar controls are a bit sluggish, it takes a while to get up (and enemies like to beat you when you're down), you get knocked back too easily when you get hit... and of course the DOLPHINS in the ocean of the Seaside town (eew!)

Some questions - I am planning on doing all the sidequests on my first run through the game (I'm about 15% done right now), is this a good idea? I like doing the quests so far, especially with the movement speed of the game. Also any other advice for a newb to the game?

Also, when going for the other endings, are there NG+ esque things to make additional trips through the game go a lot smoother?

check a page back for my image that describes what sidequests to do and not do

as for the story, well, it starts off slow as a way to trick you, then ramps up into WTFness near the halfway point

Silh

Just finished my first playthrough of Gestalt.
I still can't get over how beautifully fucked this game's conclusion is.
With Replicant I was only getting by with the basics thanks to a friend, but now I'm able to appreciate the finer details of the plot. While I am glad to have experienced both versions, I can finally see how people would consider the brother/sister dynamic to be a little creepy.

Also, props to Laura Bailey as Kainé. Perhaps the biggest reason I decided to go through with a second purchase of Nier in the first place.

Shit, I've owned this game for months and never played it, I figured it was another generic anime RPG...how wrong I was, it makes me wonder how many more great games I've passed over just through sheer misinformation or lack of knowledge.

djtiesto said:
Also, when going for the other endings, are there NG+ esque things to make additional trips through the game go a lot smoother?
NG+ starts halfway through the game for 1, and two you'll be a fucking beast considering you'll be at a high level. Pretty much tear it apart. Takes very short time to beat the game for the other endings.

coldvein

Banned
just finished this. got ending B. last bit of the game definitely threw me off quite a bit..
i knew there was something weird going on, was expecting a big reveal/plot twist..thought popola was suspect all along.. then all of a sudden it was just like PROJECT GESTALT. YOU ARE A SHELL. SHADES ARE HUMAN. etc. and then the game was just over.
i really was hoping for more development after that. i loved playing through the game, but i feel like there should've been more. maybe i'm not getting something, i dunno.

coldvein said:
just finished this. got ending B. last bit of the game definitely threw me off quite a bit..
i knew there was something weird going on, was expecting a big reveal/plot twist..thought popola was suspect all along.. then all of a sudden it was just like PROJECT GESTALT. YOU ARE A SHELL. SHADES ARE HUMAN. etc. and then the game was just over.
i really was hoping for more development after that. i loved playing through the game, but i feel like there should've been more. maybe i'm not getting something, i dunno.
Uh, you get the endings depending on the number of playthroughs. So you now have ending A.

coldvein said:
oh, really?. i'm pretty sure it said "ending B". hahah. ah well.
You have another playthrough to get through and it makes all of that make more sense.

It actually fits into the narrative really well if you take the time to think about it.

It tells you that if you complete the game again you'll get Ending B. Right now you have Ending A.

Pureauthor said:
Endings C and D are really not worth the time and effort, though.
Ending D is the ending you need to physically play for, though. It has almost none of its intended effect if you just Youtube it.

Gravijah

ZephyrFate said:
Ending D is the ending you need to physically play for, though. It has almost none of its intended effect if you just Youtube it.

Yeah, playing Ending D was an important part of the experience for me.

ZephyrFate said:

I know Ending D
deletes your save data - does it actually delete all your saves or just your last one? I'd like to get Ending D but I want to keep my saves around in case I decide to go for completion later on.

Gravijah

hosannainexcelsis said:
I know Ending D
deletes your save data - does it actually delete all your saves or just your last one? I'd like to get Ending D but I want to keep my saves around in case I decide to go for completion later on.

All of 'em. You can back them up if you want, but that makes you a pansy. :p

So I'm enjoying the game a lot, especially the music. I have 81% of the quests done, and am leaving it at that, since some of them are sound very annoying (titanium alloys, farming, etc). But I did get to finish the fishing quests!

So I'm about at the end of my first playthru, and am at the last save before the end bosses, according to a FAQ. I know that it will automatically save after the ending A so I can start my second game for ending B. But I also heard here that after ending D, all of your saves delete. How do I go about saving correctly after getting ending B, so I won't miss either C or D? Any specific save to write over or choice to select or something? Thanks.

trejo

Mr. E. Yis said:
So I'm enjoying the game a lot, especially the music. I have 81% of the quests done, and am leaving it at that, since some of them are sound very annoying (titanium alloys, farming, etc). But I did get to finish the fishing quests!

So I'm about at the end of my first playthru, and am at the last save before the end bosses, according to a FAQ. I know that it will automatically save after the ending A so I can start my second game for ending B. But I also heard here that after ending D, all of your saves delete. How do I go about saving correctly after getting ending B, so I won't miss either C or D? Any specific save to write over or choice to select or something? Thanks.
Once you get ending B you can start over and, provided you have all weapons, you can get either C or D. The choice is exceedingly obvious and there's basically no way to delete your saves by acccident.

trejo said:
Once you get ending B you can start over and, provided you have all weapons, you can get either C or D. The choice is exceedingly obvious and there's basically no way to delete your saves by acccident.

Good, thanks. Right now I have 87% of the weapons. Will there be new weapons added in the 2nd or 3rd playthrough? It seemed like I got all of them that I could in this first game.

Mr. E. Yis said:
Good, thanks. Right now I have 87% of the weapons. Will there be new weapons added in the 2nd or 3rd playthrough? It seemed like I got all of them that I could in this first game.
Pretty sure there's one you get for getting ending B. And there are a few scattered around or that you get in side quests you may have missed.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The important thing is that the game doesn't make it especially difficult to reach ending C/D, which is the real reason to aim for 100% weapons. Funnily enough the most powerful weapons in the game are relatively easy to obtain.

You need to make sure you have a few quests done, but you don't have to do any of the especially grindy ones. Just make sure you don't miss any weapon-shops or stuff in the end dungeon.

Not to say that they are well hidden or anything, but I missed a couple of really obvious things on my first run-through because they appeared near some particularly epic moments and I was so caught up in the story I didn't bother to check.

WEISS!! YOU DUMBASS!!!... <repeatedly presses start>

LOL. How annoying is this everytime you start the game.

Well, anyway I'm going to finish the 2nd playthrough for ending B. I figured out how to do the farming sidequest by reading a FAQ. I used the PS3 clock move, but it was still very annoying. I decided to try to get a platinum trophy in this game (my first platinum), and managed to get 100% weapons and 100% sidequests. Now once I try to do all of the timed boss fight trophies, catch one of every fish, and upgrade every weapon, I think the hardest part will be the "beat the game in 15 hours" trophy. I'll try that in a new game after ending D.

I like this game, and really want to see the differences in playthrough C and D. Oh, and I still need to beat all of the rooms in the Recycled Vessel DLC area. The techno remixes of the regular songs in those areas are awesome.

I also love that. And yeah joystiq reached superstar levels of stupid with that fishing things. I was fooled by it too but it took me what 3 minutes to realize I should have done what I've been doing all game, follow the marker :p

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Word of advice: If you haven't already completed ending B, don't rush through the boss fights first time to get the speed-kill trophies.

If anything, for maximum impact take it extra slow. There's a lot of additional flavour dialog during the fights you really don't want to miss.

And as Cavia don't stop the timers for cut-scenes, it really detracts from the story having to skip everything.

Save trophy collection for your C/D run.

Lyonaz

Neuromancer said:
You mean how awesome? Very! I don't think I ever skipped it. :lol

High Five! I also never skip it every time I start the game.
Bought this game last week and I'm really enjoying it.

Soundtrack is made of pure Awesomesauce!

Just an update on the Let's Play of this game over on SomethingAwful, The Dark Id just made it past Ending A. He's putting up interesting documents that basically restate what Grimoire Nier says about the game's backstory. The reactions it's getting are priceless.

So I finally managed to complete Nier today after playing it on and off for about a year and I was a bit disappointed by the ending.
After all the build up with the destruction of the Ayrie, Popola and Devola's betrayal and Emil's death, the quick "happily ever after" ending felt like a cop-out. It didn't even say what happened to the King of Facade, the shades or Kaine (aside from "she left - the end")

Is it simply a case that Ending A wasn't the true ending and B, C and D will go into far more depth?

Azure Phoenix said:
So I finally managed to complete Nier today after playing it on and off for about a year and I was a bit disappointed by the ending.
After all the build up with the destruction of the Ayrie, Popola and Devola's betrayal and Emil's death, the quick "happily ever after" ending felt like a cop-out. It didn't even say what happened to the King of Facade, the shades or Kaine (aside from "she left - the end")

Is it simply a case that Ending A wasn't the true ending and B, C and D will go into far more depth?
lol if you thought the ending gave off that mood then you're not understanding what happened in that game and should play to get ending B to help you. Ending A was a true ending but you like a few others just didn't understand what was happening.

I fully understood everything that took place for the most part by ending A but B spells it out for you.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Azure Phoenix said:

Ending B isn't a true or false ending to Ending A. It is an extension of Ending A, from a new perspective. It is absolutely essential to the story, and will answer basically every question you have.

Do it. Now.

My copy from amazon should arrive tomorrow. To summarize 72 pages while trying to avoid spoilers, I should
  • Not go nuts on sidequests
  • Fish where the big giant "X" is
  • Play on normal
  • Grind the robots in the junk heap if you need to grind
  • Buy a phoenix spear from the Facade
  • Ending 'B' is necessary
  • Endings 'C' and 'D' are a pain in the butt to get, but ending 'D' is the point of playing the game
Anything else?

Azure Phoenix said:

Uh, Ending A is far from a 'happily ever after' ending.

Humanity is now completely doomed to die out from the Shades, since no one is around to put Shade (human) souls in Replicant bodies

Top Bottom