• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

sonicmj1

kamorra said:
So I'm in the second half of the game in the
underground facility
where you have to collect numerous keys to advance. I'm in the room where I should get the last one. Apparently you get the key from a group of enemies. But they never appear in my game. I've reloaded my save three times now and I'm still stuck. Is this a known bug?

Have you fixed the weapon Gideon asked you to repair yet?

Because you've got to do that first.

2Crisis

I think I hit a sort of motivational wall in this game. I was trying to do all the side quests so I could finish the game with close to 100% quest completion. When I went to
get the knife quest from the junkyard brother, and he said he need 10 more titanium alloys. That made me stop right there. That place is so annoying, making you waste time fully clearing endless rooms, getting maybe 1 alloy per load. I had 0% motivation to collect the alloys or even finish doing the sidequests so I just moved on.

I went on to finish the game with about 81% quest completion, but am I missing out on anything story/ending wise by not getting 100%? I could care less about any trophies.

2Crisis said:
I think I hit a sort of motivational wall in this game. I was trying to do all the side quests so I could finish the game with close to 100% quest completion. When I went to
get the knife quest from the junkyard brother, and he said he need 10 more titanium alloys. That made me stop right there. That place is so annoying, making you waste time fully clearing endless rooms, getting maybe 1 alloy per load. I had 0% motivation to collect the alloys or even finish doing the sidequests so I just moved on.

I went on to finish the game with about 81% quest completion, but am I missing out on anything story/ending wise by not getting 100%? I could care less about any trophies.
There is honestly never a need to ever finish all the sidequests.

Follow this guide:

niersidequestchart.png

2Crisis said:

You haven't missed out on anything, at least not yet. You will have to get all of the weapons in order to see endings C and D.

Also, if you switch the difficulty to hard the item drop rate goes up.

On another note, it's awesome to see that this thread is still fairly active. :D

Maxathon said:
Sorry to OT but Nier completely got into my veins and made me interested in JRPGs after practically a ten-year hiatus. I'm looking for other games that might scratch the same itch, and I'd love a recommendation.

I know I won't get the same blend of self-awareness, trolling and tragedy from a non-Cavia game. Still, any suggestions would be appreciated. I do not have a PS3, only a 360, Wii and PS2.
I honestly wouldn't even know what to recommend, nothing is really like Nier. I thought the PS3 version of Eternal Sonata was very underrated. You should also player Valkyria Chronicles if you haven't, DUH.

2Crisis

ninj4junpei said:
You haven't missed out on anything, at least not yet. You will have to get all of the weapons in order to see endings C and D.

Also, if you switch the difficulty to hard the item drop rate goes up.

On another note, it's awesome to see that this thread is still fairly active. :D

All weapons as in purchase all the weapons, or get all the weapons + upgrades?

2Crisis said:
All weapons as in purchase all the weapons, or get all the weapons + upgrades?
All of the weapons you can purchase, as well as those you can only get from side quests. Upgrades only needed for trophy.

ZephyrFate said:
but seriously though Drakengard II has such a fantastic soundtrack, holy god
Oh I agree. Drakengard 2 is pretty great. I just think 1 is a bit more interesting when it comes to story and even the music is a bit more out there. 2 imo has way better gameplay ,but the story takes a bit to really get going and even then it isn't as interesting thanks to the more typical jrpg leads.

Rahxephon91 said:
Oh I agree. Drakengard 2 is pretty great. I just think 1 is a bit more interesting when it comes to story and even the music is a bit more out there. 2 imo has way better gameplay ,but the story takes a bit to really get going and even then it isn't as interesting thanks to the more typical jrpg leads.
Urick is pretty awesome though. At least his helmet is.

Exhausted on the Holy Land is the greatest videogame song

jcm

Maxathon said:
Sorry to OT but Nier completely got into my veins and made me interested in JRPGs after practically a ten-year hiatus. I'm looking for other games that might scratch the same itch, and I'd love a recommendation.

I know I won't get the same blend of self-awareness, trolling and tragedy from a non-Cavia game. Still, any suggestions would be appreciated. I do not have a PS3, only a 360, Wii and PS2.

You should check out Resonance of Fate. Like Nier, it's cheap and highly underrated.

jcm said:
You should check out Resonance of Fate. Like Nier, it's cheap and highly underrated.
Of the two which would you recommend more? I've got a bit a free time at the moment and I'm looking to try out some games that I hadn't really considered before. I've read that there's a really steep learning curve in Resonance of Fate before it gets fun, but I don't know too much about either game.

What the fuck is this game. The graphics are meh and bland, i killed sheep, i dont like the look of the main character, and the melee doesnt feel satisfying but i cant stop playing.

Something about the music, tone, and casual decay of the world has my interest completely hooked.

Gamer @ Heart said:
What the fuck is this game. The graphics are meh and bland, i killed sheep, i dont like the look of the main character, and the melee doesnt feel satisfying but i cant stop playing.

Something about the music, tone, and casual decay of the world has my interest completely hooked.
Yeah I don't know either. Something about it just grabbed me by the horns too.

Kilgore Trout said:
Of the two which would you recommend more? I've got a bit a free time at the moment and I'm looking to try out some games that I hadn't really considered before. I've read that there's a really steep learning curve in Resonance of Fate before it gets fun, but I don't know too much about either game.
I really like Nier but was very bored by RoF.

Acquiesc3

Banned
I think I'll replay this game to get Endings C and D once I'm done with Mass Effect 2.

Last time I checked, I have around a third (maybe a fourth) of the weapons. How long will it take to get all the weapons to access both endings?

gdt

Acquiesc3 said:
I think I'll replay this game to get Endings C and D once I'm done with Mass Effect 2.

Last time I checked, I have around a third (maybe a fourth) of the weapons. How long will it take to get all the weapons to access both endings?

Most of the weapons you can buy. Three weapons needs sidequests (so you might have to do like 5, because 1 or 2 needs to be unlocked by completing other sidequests).

Really shouldn't take you that long. By C, it really shouldn't take you more than 2/3 hours.

krakov

Just finished the last ending after a long break since last time playing and I must say Nier is a really great game even though for most part I really didn't enjoy the gameplay. The way they use the different playthroughs/endings are fantastic and really got some emotions out of me. If there is any game recently that made me feel for the characters it's this one, and much of it is done in a really clever way I haven't seen games use that much. Also, of course the music is outstanding which adds a lot to the atmosphere.

RPGCrazied

I beat it with 20 hours, only 24% of the quests done. I didn't know the new game plus puts you in the 2nd half of the game at the start, making the first part quests unavailable. So in order to get ending C/D you need to get all 30 weapons. Some quests have weapons as a reward.

Does anyone know if any of the weapon quests are in part one? I'd hate to replay the game just to get those. Then again for ending B. I've only got A so far. I read on gamefaqs, you need like 51% of the quests for part 1, man I sure did miss a lot.

Hows that DLC? Worth the 6bucks?

Gravijah

RPGCrazied said:
I beat it with 20 hours, only 24% of the quests done. I didn't know the new game plus puts you in the 2nd half of the game at the start, making the first part quests unavailable. So in order to get ending C/D you need to get all 30 weapons. Some quests have weapons as a reward.

Does anyone know if any of the weapon quests are in part one? I'd hate to replay the game just to get those. Then again for ending B. I've only got A so far. I read on gamefaqs, you need like 51% of the quests for part 1, man I sure did miss a lot.

Hows that DLC? Worth the 6bucks?

You can get all of the weapons in the second half. You'll be fine.

Requeim

ZephyrFate said:
There is honestly never a need to ever finish all the sidequests.

Follow this guide:

I really love this game, but if i had to give advice to those playing it for the first time, it would be more like this:

niersidequestchart2.png

I don't know if its a sale or not but Gamestop had this for 15 bucks new. I got it but I prolly won't play it for a couple of weeks.

I got this on GAF hype. I hope it fares well.

Requeim said:
I really love this game, but if i had to give advice to those playing it for the first time, it would be more like this:

niersidequestchart2.png
The fuck? and miss out on a ton of plot and backstory to the game? Screw that shit.

Yaweee

Requeim said:

niersidequestchart2.png

Yeah, how dumb the sidequests I did were and that some are necessary for the C/D endings really makes me never want to go for them.

Gravijah

Yaweee said:
Yeah, how dumb the sidequests I did were and that some are necessary for the C/D endings really makes me never want to go for them.

You only have to do like 5 sidequests for the weapons. It's not that bad.

Requeim said:
I say read up on all that stuff afterwards
Why even play the game if you can just read up on everything? This is the kind of nonsense that baffles me.

For any future players, follow the guide that I posted, do not follow Requiem's advice.

Broke and bought Nier. I'll play it once I finish Epic Mickey. I had a hard time getting into it last time (I was busy with other shit and school was right around the corner), so I'm hoping this time will "awaken" me!

oracrest

Sunk some more time into this, from the Boar fight, to the Desert city, with lots of sidequests in-between. Fishing was pretty frustrating, trying to fish right where the old man is for the first time.

Still enjoying it though, and the music is penetrating!

oracrest said:
Sunk some more time into this, from the Boar fight, to the Desert city, with lots of sidequests in-between. Fishing was pretty frustrating, trying to fish right where the old man is for the first time.

Still enjoying it though, and the music is penetrating!
What are you fishing for near the old man? Sharks?

Silh

Played through Replicant last year and loved it.

I sat through the 15 Nightmares CD again today and now I'm thinking about buying the U.S. version to have a better grasp on the story. Also for easier access to the DLC.

oracrest

ZephyrFate said:
What are you fishing for near the old man? Sharks?

No, it was for a shaman fish, right after he gives you the equipment. You can fish right next to him, but the mission requires you go around to the hidden beach. A bit confusing. In general, several missions have been less than intuitive. Such as the one to deliver a package to "the highest house" in the Aerie, which isn't the actual highest visual hut, but simply the highest of the ones that you can access. Yeah, that was a tad confusing.

oracrest said:
No, it was for a shaman fish, right after he gives you the equipment. You can fish right next to him, but the mission requires you go around to the hidden beach. A bit confusing. In general, several missions have been less than intuitive. Such as the one to deliver a package to "the highest house" in the Aerie, which isn't the actual highest visual hut, but simply the highest of the ones that you can access. Yeah, that was a tad confusing.
Well, to be completely fair... it's more likely your fault as there is a big red X on your game map.

Gravijah

ZephyrFate said:
Well, to be completely fair... it's more likely your fault as there is a big red X on your game map.

Somehow, even I screwed that part up a bit. And I was already aware of the reviewer being dumb... :(

Gravijah said:
Somehow, even I screwed that part up a bit. And I was already aware of the reviewer being dumb... :(
I come off as harsh about that particular issue, but I have to. Joystiq completely dismissed the game over it. And they can go fuck themselves.

Gravijah

ZephyrFate said:
I come off as harsh about that particular issue, but I have to. Joystiq completely dismissed the game over it. And they can go fuck themselves.

Yeah, Joystiq are idiots for dismissing the game because of it. But it's pretty easy to get confused about where to go at that part.

oracrest

Gravijah said:
Yeah, Joystiq are idiots for dismissing the game because of it. But it's pretty easy to get confused about where to go at that part.

Yeah, I eventually had to google what I was doing wrong. For the first 30 minutes, I just assumed that I wasn't executing the fishing mechanic correctly, since this is the first time you are presented with it in the game.

Even though the red X is there, the way the whole mission was presented was confusing. It wasn't the best design decision to place the old man who tells you to "You can catch a Shaman fish on THE beach." right next to a beach which happens to be an advanced area, while the real beginners beach is tucked away in a hidden part of the town.

You're told to go in the opposite direction of the fish, but the mechanic works out to be not actually pressing full left or right, but mostly back, and then a little bit left or right. For a long time, I was just failing instantly, and figured I was doing something wrong with the input. That's what Weiss seemed to be telling me too.

It didn't ruin the game by any means, but it was confusing.

Top Bottom