• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

Ys: The Oath in Felghana :p

As for my progress yesterday:

Collected all of the Dragon Seals, been accused of assassinating the King, fought the titano in the coliseum and escaped to the hidden Iskan Village, have been dubbed the Dragon Warrior and am now scouring Altago for the five Sanctum's of the slumbering Dragons.

Paznos

jaundicejuice said:
Ys: The Oath in Felghana :p

As for my progress yesterday:

Collected all of the Dragon Seals, been accused of assassinating the King, fought the titano in the coliseum and escaped to the hidden Iskan Village, have been dubbed the Dragon Warrior and am now scouring Altago for the five Sanctum's of the slumbering Dragons.
This is basically where I'm at in the game although I'm like one step ahead atm.

Hesemonni said:
GotY 2010.

Why, oh why, have I missed whole Ys series until now?

Because Ys as series has only had sporadic releases in the west. It doesn't help that a few of those releases--the PS2 port (I believe) of Ark of Napishtim and the DS remakes of Ys Books 1 & 2--were kind of bad. If you wanted to play these games you had to import the PC versions, be able to read Japanese or apply fan translations.

Speaking of Ark of Napishtim, the PSP iteration is the better of the two, correct? I vaguely recall that Konami made some detrimental changes to the PS2 version.

Vorador

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Speaking of Ark of Napishtim, the PSP iteration is the better of the two, correct? I vaguely recall that Konami made some detrimental changes to the PS2 version.

You got it backwards. The better iteration is the NTSC PS2 one. In the PAL PS2 they stripped some extra stuff from the disc (that you could unlock with Cheats) to make room for european languages, and the PSP release is shitty with washed out textures and long loading times.

fushi

Vorador said:
In the PAL PS2 they stripped some extra stuff from the disc (that you could unlock with Cheats)
Not all of it, though. The Japanese voices are completely gone from the PAL release, AFAIK.

jaundicejuice said:
Because Ys as series has only had sporadic releases in the west. It doesn't help that a few of those releases--the PS2 port (I believe) of Ark of Napishtim and the DS remakes of Ys Books 1 & 2--were kind of bad. If you wanted to play these games you had to import the PC versions, be able to read Japanese or apply fan translations.

Having played the PC, PS2 and PSP versions, I can say that the PS2 (US) and the PC versions both have their advantages (PC version being superior in graphics, PS2 in language and extras), the PSP version suffers from framerate issues and load times, although on the newer PSP models that last problem seemed to be fixed.

I suggest getting Gurumin too - a nice Falcom 3D action adventure game for the PSP, released in the US a few years ago.

fushi

Bebpo said:
Early on I was just guarding everything and for the final boss I was just guarding everything, but in the middle it seemed like why bother, just roll out of the way of most stuff and if you get hit here and there it's no big deal.
Guarding? What do you mean by that?

Please don't tell me I have missed some vital gameplay functionality in my playthrough...

Holy shit, I have. :lol

Aeana

Definitely do not bother with the PSP version of Ys 6 unless it's your only choice.

fushi said:
Guarding? What do you mean by that?

Please don't tell me I have missed some vital gameplay functionality in my playthrough...

Holy shit, I have. :lol
Hold R, and then tap L (while still holding R) just before an enemy attack lands. You'll negate damage, get a ton of SP, and your next attack will be a critical.

Bebpo

Banned
Just Guard was the best addition to Ys that Seven brought. Everything else added/changed has pros/cons, but JG is awesome, highly skill based, and very rewarding.

I'd like to see Ys 8 include rolling, jumping, JGing. I think while JG is fantastic, it should always be an optional path for high skill players, while everyone else can still avoid the attacks through rolling or jumping (like how JG is in DMC3/4).

Vorador

Banned
It's also a skill that's not necessary to complete the game in Normal, but in Hard is very important and in Nightmare you must master it to survive.

damn pikkards...

hiding the last one in the fire temple sucked, took me forever to find. at least the reward was worth it! kinda sad i'm almost done with the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wonder if there's any news about Ys 8...

Lain

I've been burned by buying upgraded armor/weapons.
Before going to the
Water Sanctum
I had upgraded everything. While in there, I found a set of armor+a weapon for Adol, used it for 10 minutes (the time to kill the boss), hit the city and there's new weapon/armor in the shop. I buy it (and synthesize the armor for my party), go to
Iska Village
and the shop there has new stuff better than what I just bought (and synthesized)... so I buy it thinking that I'll make the cash back in the
Moon Sanctum
only to find out that it's just a boss fight and right after I'm done with it the shop has new armor/weapons... Felt like a complete idiot for wasting so much money, especially because now I only have enough money to buy weapons/armor for just 3/4 people.

Too bad that the
twist about Scias and Tia
was ruined for me by highlighting a spoiler in regards to the last boss in this thread, although it was pretty obvious that
Tia was hiding something
. I can only hope that
she'll get "saved" at the end of the story, although I'm not sure how that could happen... but I just like her too much and poor Maya left alone would bee too sad!

Anyway, still a great game, and I find it amusing that I only learned about guarding yesterday.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ULTROS! said:
Wonder if there's any news about Ys 8...
Nope.

I haven't paid TOO close attention, but I don't think Falcom has announced their "end of year" game yet. Zero no Kiseki comes out in a couple weeks so they'll probably say something around then. I would imagine they would do a remake (Ys IV) or a side game (like Origin) using the Ys SEVEN engine before doing Ys 8.

There's also some port rumors floating around too, so Ys SEVEN might appear somewhere else.

Lain

Finished the game, and my initial impression didn't change. I loved it.
The ending was both nice and sad.
Why did you have to disappear Tia!?!? At least Maya got there in time to say goodbye, but it was still painful =(

I liked the story, even if it certain things were predictable it still felt put together pretty well, with some charming characters and nice moments.
The gameplay was fun and so fast that going through a dungeon more than once never bothered me: I looked forward to more battles. Spamming pentagrams was great, especially with 2 energy orbs equipped!
And let's not forget the music and the art, both so good. The character designs especially, which made me desire another Ys with the same character designer right in the middle of the game.

This was one of the best action RPGs on PSP as well as one of the best PSP games I've played and after completing it I'm looking forward to the next Ys game with more excitement than before.

Aeana

I wouldn't expect Ys 8 for a while. The gap between Ys 5 and 6 was 8 years, and the gap between 6 and 7 was 6 years. They'll do other stuff in between. I'm really hoping they finally do an Ys 4 remake.

The unfortunate thing is, of course, that the PSP is on its way out, so they'll have to hurry if they want to make use of the Ys 7 engine on PSP. They have at least used it in one game, Ys vs Sora no Kiseki.

jorgeton

Man, the twist
about Tia's true identity
really surprised me! Did not see that coming, at all. Was playing the game half asleep Sunday night, when the big reveal happened. For a second I wasn't sure if I dreamt it or not! The game's story really snuck up on me, and I did not expect to care about what happens to any of the characters, but needless to say, I am emotionally involved.
The bit with Raud taking care of Maya was totally adorable and heartfelt.

Great game and will definitely be picking up the forthcoming PSP titles.

Raistlin

Augemitbutter said:
you mean a scanned artbook and map + soundtrack?

no, but that sounds so unfun. don't give them ideas.

No ... I mean all the extras from the normal collectors edition, but instead of the game UMD, a download code.

It seems like the obvious solution.

Lain

Raistlin said:
No ... I mean all the extras from the normal collectors edition, but instead of the game UMD, a download code.

It seems like the obvious solution.

I don't see the point to a physical limited edition that contained a download code, myself.
Considering one of the + people that love DD cite a lot is the fact that they don't have to put up with junk taking up space on their shelves, probably not many people would buy such a thing.

Augemitbutter said:

Now, this, I'd be behind 100%. DD people deserve some love too, considering they already lose when it comes to price!

Augemitbutter said:

no, but that sounds so unfun. don't give them ideas.

First thing I did when I got my game was rip the soundtrack to my comp. I would have also scanned the art book but I didn't wanna destroy it by doing so. I love to have stuff like that on my PC to look at whenever I please (or use as wallpapers and whatnot).

leehom

Hmm speak of the devil, I just ordered this game from Gamestop with a $10 off coupon and free shipping. Came out to $21 :)

How is this game? What should I expect from Seven? I'm taking a huge gamble because I purchased the last Y's PS2 game (day one), Ark of whatever and it freaking sucked.

What is the new Y's game releasing soon, Ys: The Oath in Felghana?

I'm a old school Y's fan, I had it on the TG16 CD and loooved it as a kid. I hope Seven is and TOIF turn out to be good games.

Lain

leehom said:
How is this game?

Awesome, that's how it is.
Great music, great gameplay, great art, with nice characters and a story that, while simple, it's well put together.

I find myself unable to dedicate all my time to a game as much as I'd want to because my attention drifts away to other things, lately, but with this game I kept playing and playing until I finished it, that's how good it is.

leehom

I just read on another forum that TOIF is better than Seven. Can anyone who has played both confirm? The two rpg's have different styles, but overall the general consensus is that TOIF is better.

I'll probably pick up TOIF day one if I find Seven enjoyable.

i wouldn't call oif better, it's a different experience. you control adol alone, have a real jump button and do quite a bit of platforming.

seven has some crazy tight controls, a large party and vastly more equipment and skills. the game is longer and there is more story. there's no reason to downplay one or the other, both have their own strengths.

i love them both.

Been playing this for a few hours now. Good game so far.

One weird thing, is it just me or have they lifted a bit from metroid, music wise?

First I hear the metroid tune when I pick up a significant item, which I shrugged off, but I just beat a boss where the "escape from the space station before it kerplodes" super metroid music was playing.

Aeana

Sir_Crocodile said:
Been playing this for a few hours now. Good game so far.

One weird thing, is it just me or have they lifted a bit from metroid, music wise?

First I hear the metroid tune when I pick up a significant item, which I shrugged off, but I just beat a boss where the "escape from the space station before it kerplodes" super metroid music was playing.
Whether Ys has any inspiration from Metroid is up for debate, but it is worth noting that Ys has had the same item collection jingle since the first game in 1987.

That's fair enough I guess, but I found the "space station gonna explode" soundtrack when I was fighting the cave boss on the way to the fire dragon village the really odd thing.

Salaadin

Sir_Crocodile said:
That's fair enough I guess, but I found the "space station gonna explode" soundtrack when I was fighting the cave boss on the way to the fire dragon village the really odd thing.

Heres the real kicker: when you beat the game, Adol removes his face to reveal that hes really a woman.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
leehom said:
I just read on another forum that TOIF is better than Seven. Can anyone who has played both confirm? The two rpg's have different styles, but overall the general consensus is that TOIF is better.

I'll probably pick up TOIF day one if I find Seven enjoyable.
Oath is so much better than SEVEN. The only thing SEVEN has over it is maybe graphics and bloat.

This game is kind of dark
with the whole doomed to fail champion of the living. We give you our power but you will only fail, as all before you who have been the Dragon Warrior have failed, because the power of the dragons is not enough to stave off the Winds of Destruction.

jmdajr said:
If I buy the umd version can I install it on my memory stick?

I have a 25 dollar gift card I want to use.

you can't.

jaundicejuice said:
This game is kind of dark
with the whole doomed to fail champion of the living. We give you our power but you will only fail, as all before you who have been the Dragon Warrior have failed, because the power of the dragons is not enough to stave off the Winds of Destruction.

oh yes, but the last parts and ending are so good. you got something to look forward to.

Got to the end of
the Well of Souls
, warped back to
Iska
only to discover that I had enough item drops to synthesize only one uber-weapon. I don't think I'll be trying farm anymore items, the drop rate for
Soul Stones
is simply too low.

So the final boss is essentially the game going from zero to rape in 60 seconds?
The leap in difficulty from Scias and Tialuna to the Root is damn near absurd. On Normal throughout all of the game Just Guarding was optional, but if you can't do it on the last boss, on every attack, you're essentially fucked. it feels like it jumped up one or two difficulty levels.

lol plz highlight so someone can read on my wonderful feat (about last boss):

I beat the top level of the boss with just Adol WITHOUT any healing items on hard. NOT A SINGLE ONE. I FUCKING DID IT. IT TOOK TEN TRIES BUT I DID IT. I said to myself, k, one last time if I don't make it then ef this. THEN I PULLED OFF PERFECTION.

I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with the final boss on a higher difficulty setting, so bravo.
It took me two tries with Adol, using what meager healing items I had left, on the final stage of the boss. Oddly enough, I found Adol's part the least frustrating of that boss battle. I had kept my party's abilities and equipment up to snuff, but those first two rounds were brutal and long. I didn't have the epic gear you could synth, but I had the best you could buy.

All in all it was a great action rpg, and I can't wait to buy The Oath in Felghana and Chronicles. One thing kind of bothered me though, for the first half of the game you have like three or four abilities per character, and then for the latter half of the game it seems as though every new weapon has a new ability. And some of those abilities you gain later on seemed as though they belonged in the earlier part of the game. I don't know, maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention to synthesizing items earlier in the game.

This is easily the most I've used my PSP since Dissidia and now I get to move on to either Kingdom hearts: Birth By Sleep or Valkyria Chronicles II. Lovely conundrum to have.

Just started it yesterday and I have a few questions.

Read here it was too easy so I started it in hard...and had hard time with the 1st boss :lol
I was unprepared though, so went back, upgraded things a bit and it was a bit easier. Is it going to be frustratingly hard sometimes? Does it affect drops?

Quests, I think they are miss-able? Is there a good guide to help that (just knowing how to get them, not finish them or any other stuff)?

Also, from the map in the LE, knew it was slightly altered real world but since they highlighted Ediz which by name and position I suppose they are referring to Cadiz, does any Ys game take place there? I kinda live nearby lol.

Solune

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Read here it was too easy so I started it in hard...and had hard time with the 1st boss :lol
I was unprepared though, so went back, upgraded things a bit and it was a bit easier. Is it going to be frustratingly hard sometimes? Does it affect drops?

Quests, I think they are miss-able? Is there a good guide to help that (just knowing how to get them, not finish them or any other stuff)?

Also, from the map in the LE, knew it was slightly altered real world but since they highlighted Ediz which by name and position I suppose they are referring to Cadiz, does any Ys game take place there? I kinda live nearby lol.

The first 12 quests can be missed if you don't do them
before going to Ruin Island

jaundicejuice said:
So the final boss is essentially the game going from zero to rape in 60 seconds?
The leap in difficulty from Scias and Tialuna to the Root is damn near absurd. On Normal throughout all of the game Just Guarding was optional, but if you can't do it on the last boss, on every attack, you're essentially fucked. it feels like it jumped up one or two difficulty levels.

his first two phases on nightmare were brutal, especially when you didn't have the best equipment on your party. the last phase with adol was damn amazing, like an homage to classic Ys, but surprisingly easy with a few casual parries thrown in. fuuuuck, i'm missing those bossfights already.

-Pyromaniac- said:
lol plz highlight so someone can read on my wonderful feat (about last boss):

I beat the top level of the boss with just Adol WITHOUT any healing items on hard. NOT A SINGLE ONE. I FUCKING DID IT. IT TOOK TEN TRIES BUT I DID IT. I said to myself, k, one last time if I don't make it then ef this. THEN I PULLED OFF PERFECTION.

lol, congrats.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

it doesn't affect drops as far as i know. try to get the best equipment before challenging bosses. you can miss quests in the first half when you enter the second, but dogi will warn you to maybe finish a few more quests before going on.

Lain

jaundicejuice said:
Got to the end of
the Well of Souls
, warped back to
Iska
only to discover that I had enough item drops to synthesize only one uber-weapon. I don't think I'll be trying farm anymore items, the drop rate for
Soul Stones
is simply too low.

You can do what I did (I did it as experimentation and it worked perfectly). Buy 3 of those accessory that make rare drops... drop more. Equip all your characters with them, then go back to the dungeon. Every one of the materials you get from gathering will be the rare version, and the
soul Stones
are easily gotten from gathering in a room near the second or third warp location (there are 3 mineral gather location plus a couple monster that drops them as well in the room) and mineral gather spots deep in the dungeon.

Top Bottom