• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

manzo

Wait, so that shit is real? Weird. Why would they redo the graphics like that for the X68000, of all things?

I've finished the X68K version multiple times. In fact, it's my favourite version of Ys 1.

The X68K version has two songs not available in any other version; Zeptik Village and the mountains after it. Beautiful songs.

Regulus

Neo Member
Wasn't Chase of Shadow originally an unused track in the earlier versions of Ys 1?

Yeah. It's not the only one, either. Basically all of the new tracks in later versions of Ys 1 and 2 were originally unused tracks. There are still several that have never been used in an official capacity, as far as I'm aware. And, although it has found use elsewhere, I'm a little disappointed they didn't find a place to stick the original Koshiro version of Theme of Adol in Eternal/Chronicles.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I started Memories of Celceta this weekend, just beat the
Selray town section
. It's great so far, but it seems like there are just waaaaay too many enemies around. Which not only slows the system down but makes it a bit of a hassle to get through areas (especially when you are overpowered). The environments are probably the largest I've seen in a Ys game, a nice contrast to the last game I played, #5, where everything was so small.

Other than the number of enemies, I'm not nuts how there's the loot system and minor crafting elements... it seems pretty optional so far, but one thing I liked about earlier Ys games was that they were pretty to-the-point, no superfluous systems. Also am I the only one getting sick of how every single RPG nowadays has to shoehorn in loot (oh wow I get a sword with fire resistance +2! yay!) and crafting (yay, collect 10 boar hides so I can refine them into armor slightly better than what I have)...?

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Don't you need to enable it first to see that information?

I've yet to challenge Nightmare mode myself (I'm getting there!) so this comes as a surprise to me. And not just
cleavage, her legs are exposed too
. Still doesn't top
Isha in a swimsuit
... that's a real eyebrow-raiser right there. Of course, that was never implemented (far as I know) and can only be seen by extracting the image from the game files. It might just be another joke image like the ones in Ys Eternal, it's kinda half-assed.

RE: your second spoiler, I remember seeing it in the PS2 version. I was under the impression it was added specifically for it, so maybe it was supposed to be in the PC version but dummied out.

Psxphile

RE: your second spoiler, I remember seeing it in the PS2 version. I was under the impression it was added specifically for it, so maybe it was supposed to be in the PC version but dummied out.
I think you're talking about Olha:
ujZi2td.png

There's a set of codes you can use in the PS2 version of Napishtim that will allow you to view secret scenes between Adol and Olha in a swimsuit on Moonset Shore. I believe they're "rewards" for beating the Boss Rush Time Attack on Hard, and may exist in the PC version as well according to fan translator Doopiapunta as he's translated lines pertaining to it.

Apparently there's an alternate scene with Olha wearing a slightly skimpier bathing suit that requires a different code to unlock, or possibly by beating Boss Rush on Nightmare. There's little documentation on that but the code definitely works. This might also be on PC, as a screenshot exists:

filename: "ys6timeattacknightrushuv3.jpg"

However, the piece of art I was talking about actually comes from Oath of Felghana's configuration menu files. By using image extraction tools one can isolate two unfinished portraits of Olha and Isha wearing one-piece suits and a note in Japanese attached. Possibly leftover placeholder art from Napishtim (Oath was built on Napishtim's engine, so data invariably crossed over).

Link to a thread on Ancient Land of Ys about this

This is all information I came across in preparation for this community thread.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
However, the piece of art I was talking about actually comes from Oath of Felghana's configuration menu files. By using image extraction tools one can isolate two unfinished portraits of Olha and Isha wearing one-piece suits and a note in Japanese attached. Possibly leftover placeholder art from Napishtim (Oath was built on Napishtim's engine, so data invariably crossed over).

Ah, I get ya. I didn't know about the Felghana pics (though I'm behind a work firewall ATM, I'll check back later). I also keep confusing Ohla and Isha even though I'm replaying Ys VI right now.

At any rate, is there any matrix that indicates which songs are in which versions of Ys I, II and III? Ys I in particular has a lot of different songs exclusive to various ports, or previously unused songs were officially used in Eternal/Chronicles. If there isn't one, I'll try to make one myself. I feel this is something I maybe have seen years ago at some place like Falcom Daisuki, but then I just realized it closed down like five years ago. :(

jdkluv

Just got a Ys manga from 1990 (I think?) this week. This guy right here is Adol Christin.

Eqtm9XH.png

I can take more pictures of it if anyone is interested.

Aru

Ys Origin on Hard with The Claw is really more challenging than Normal mode. It's almost as challenging as Felghana on Normal.

I'm in the Flooded Prison right now and I've just beaten the first boss of this dungeon (
Hugo
).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ys Origin on Hard with The Claw is really more challenging than Normal mode. It's almost as challenging as Felghana on Normal.

I'm in the Flooded Prison right now and I've just beaten the first boss of this dungeon (
Hugo
).

Toal is so great. It feels like the Ys equivalent of getting zero shift for the first time in ZOE. I would love to see that style return in some form.

jb1234

Hugo
).

I should have tried that. I played Yunica on Normal first, found it reasonably challenging. Hugo on Normal was a cakewalk and Claw was equally as easy,

jdkluv

At any rate, is there any matrix that indicates which songs are in which versions of Ys I, II and III? Ys I in particular has a lot of different songs exclusive to various ports, or previously unused songs were officially used in Eternal/Chronicles. If there isn't one, I'll try to make one myself. I feel this is something I maybe have seen years ago at some place like Falcom Daisuki, but then I just realized it closed down like five years ago. :(

Ys Music Files has you covered.

http://tk-nz.game.coocan.jp/ysmusic/bgm/bgm_ys1.html
http://tk-nz.game.coocan.jp/ysmusic/bgm/bgm_ys2.html
http://tk-nz.game.coocan.jp/ysmusic/bgm/bgm_ys3.html

Yuterald

I definitely consider myself an unusual/weird Ys fan as a lot of the stuff I like about these games are in the fine details/hardly ever discussed. Some of my favorite moments in Ys are the quiet/calm rooms before the final boss/dungeon. Napishtim probably has my favorite usage of this. I love the foreboding/mysterious ambiance/vibes tracks like Pressure Stairs provide. It's these idle/chill moments that inspire and center me. Memories of Celceta did this too as did Origin, but I can't find the tracks on YouTube (it's the "first" room in the final dungeon that's essentially a 3-way road to the other core sections of the dungeon in Celceta though). I'm also obsessed with the Well of Souls in Ys7. There are these prehistoric fish monsters in the water in that dungeon with ridiculously cool bestiary descriptions. It's the small stuff like this that makes me freak out about these games, hah!

Psxphile

Just got a Ys manga from 1990 (I think?) this week. This guy right here is Adol Christin.

Eqtm9XH.png

I can take more pictures of it if anyone is interested.
Shoujo Ys? Mite b cool. Anything in there interesting from the perspective of somebody who's finished the first two games multiple times?

I keep running into this site whilst searching for Ys stuff. Is it a fansite? It's pretty thorough.

Have there been any news on English PC ports of Ys7 and Celceta?

I demand them.

And Napishtim too! I wish...
I think the reason we've yet to hear about any more PC ports is because Xseed is up to their eyeballs getting TiTs FC and SC stable and running on Steam. They must be running poor Sara ragged. :( Though I think Carpe Fulgur might be lending a hand on those projects? Or is it just strictly translation their helping with?

I want to believe that at some point, they'll reveal Zweii II, Gurumin and Napishtim coming to Steam within a short timeframe in a surprise announcement.

BynMbvU.jpg

jdkluv

Shoujo Ys? Mite be cool. Anything in there interesting from the perspective of somebody who's finished the first two games multiple times?

Doesn't seems to be related with the main events of Ys I & II, although it has Dark Fact (or a guy that looks a lot like him) and the Darm Tower in. Maybe it's some kind of spin-off or "retelling"? All I know is that it was released around in the late 80s.

Also, can't find this manga to read online, so I assume it's kind of rare.

Will take some pictures later (I'm out home right now).

I keep running into this site whilst searching for Ys stuff. Is it a fansite? It's pretty thorough.

Yeah. It's a fansite made by venerable tk_nz with information about the music of practically every single Falcom game/album released. This is a very serious source.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ugh, I'm stupid. I just played through the Time Attack Boss Rush in Celceta and only realized afterwards that I could have done it with three characters and not just Adol. I guess that would have made things a bit easier, but I played it on easy anyway.

Regulus

Neo Member
Ugh, I'm stupid. I just played through the Time Attack Boss Rush in Celceta and only realized afterwards that I could have done it with three characters and not just Adol. I guess that would have made things a bit easier, but I played it on easy anyway.

I think it's more fun with just Adol, personally.

Just beat the second Ys I feel like this was way easier than the first in terms of bosses. But it was an ultimate pain in the ass in terms of navigations. Seriously, fuuuuuuuuuck the palace brah. Stupid confusing corridors. Anyway, maybe its because I grinded so much but I felt like it was easy to level since you got exp for like...doing main story stuff.

Still enjoyable. Mad feels at the end. I really wanted to end up with Feena...guess I'll settle for what's her face.

8/10, will play again.

Should I continue with the series in numerical order like this or what?

jb1234

Just beat the second Ys I feel like this was way easier than the first in terms of bosses. But it was an ultimate pain in the ass in terms of navigations. Seriously, fuuuuuuuuuck the palace brah. Stupid confusing corridors. Anyway, maybe its because I grinded so much but I felt like it was easy to level since you got exp for like...doing main story stuff.

Still enjoyable. Mad feels at the end. I really wanted to end up with Feena...guess I'll settle for what's her face.

8/10, will play again.

Might as well play Origin next as it kinda sorta continues that story.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

8/10, will play again.

There's really no particular order you need to play in. Going in release order from Napishtim > Oath > Origin provides a nice experience as each games' combat and overall design improves on the previous ones. Release order is actually the complete opposite of numberical/chronological order, but they're all unique enough that they're enjoyable on their own.

I played Napishtim only recently, but replaying Origin and Oath afterwards made me notice a number of plot points and references in those games that you'd only catch if you played Napishtim first. It's weird that way, but release order might be the best option.

Korten

Banned
Random but...

Adol_Christin.jpg

(Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga Picture)

Does Adols image in this look like his eyes are cross eyed? I can't tell if he's looking to the right, left, or ahead.

Maybe it's just me...

Psxphile

show_me_the_receipts.gif

Random but...

Adol_Christin.jpg

(Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga Picture)

Does Adols image in this look like his eyes are cross eyed? I can't tell if he's looking to the right, left, or ahead.

Maybe it's just me...

That famous wandering eye of his. The left searches for adventure, the right for the unrequited love of a chaste young lady.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Oh great, I missed out on three of the wreaths from that sidequest in Celceta. I guess I'll have to do another playthrough for the platinum. Or more likely, I just won't do it.

Aru

Goddammit, the true final boss of Ys Origin is really a pain in the butt. I can't tell if I'm doing it wrong or not. He is too damn long and the fact that he heals himself when changing forms certainly doesn't help. I can barely reach its final form. I can't take anymore for today, so I'll have to beat the previous boss again. No cutscenes skipping is bad, too.

Sometimes the boss shows its weak point fairly quickly, other times it takes a ton of hits.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Goddammit, the true final boss of Ys Origin is really a pain in the butt. I can't tell if I'm doing it wrong or not. He is too damn long and the fact that he heals himself when changing forms certainly doesn't help. I can barely reach its final form. I can't take anymore for today, so I'll have to beat the previous boss again. No cutscenes skipping is bad, too.

Sometimes the boss shows its weak point fairly quickly, other times it takes a ton of hits.

The pearl moves into different parts of it's body, but sometimes it can be tough to see which one it enters. If you target the right one it can pop quickly but it can be a bit of a guessing game.

By the time he moves into the final phase my health was low enough that, combined with level 3 boost regen, I got boost every few seconds so I just burst in his face until he died.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I could never tell which part to attack so I just used the jump attack and hit all of them.

Also, I would need to try it again but I think using the boost mode makes him heal? I think I noticed that on my last playthrough, he healed (or healed more) when I used boost versus when I didn't.

I had one attempt where I actually got his HP all the way down without going through the final form, but the game was like NOPE and gave him half the HP bar back so I had to do like two more rounds and then the final form.

Levyne

Banned
My memory sucks. I remember the battle and the sphere and not having a lot of windows to hurt it but on the specifics I'm all ????

Maybe I need to replay soonish.

Kikirin

I feel like it's more that you're only allowed to burst down a certain amount of its health at a time, and that there are particular milestones percentages that it'll reset to once its health dips below that amount.

For instance, let's say that it has a milestone at 80% health.

- If you can get it down to 78% off one orb exposure, then it'll reset its health to 80% at the next form change. Not much of a loss.

- If you get it down to 82% on the first expose and bring it down to 62% on the next one, then you're kinda SOL since it'll go back to 80% on the transition.

And yeah, you'll be in for a pretty rough time if a particular milestone doesn't proc the associated health boost for some reason.

I always hated that aspect of the fight. I wonder why they didn't just make him stop taking damage for that cycle whenever you took off a segment of his health. Maybe they wanted to make it seem kind of hopeless.

Psxphile

AJDTGCn.gif

Started my first playthrough of Ys Book I & II. I'm already past Dark Fact but not without taking some lumps from certain bosses like Vaguillon who I feel is even tougher here than in Chronicles on Nightmare. Seriously, you simply can't avoid being damaged by him even in his real form. And I had a pretty tough time in Darm Tower because I forgot that the silver equipment gets taken from you early on, and since I got the Silver Shield and Armor faster than the money needed to buy the good stuff in Minea I was left with poor defenses for a good portion of the climb (unlike the Chronicles version, you don't seem to get free gear from chests in order to make up for it). Dark Fact however fell like a chump, probably due to the lack of level cap in this version. I was Level 36 by the time I got to him.

As expected, Esteria was a lot more compact in this version. Never mind the missing Barbados port town, which didn't exist before the remakes. The field between Minea Town and Zeptic village was a lot more condensed in this version: it's just the one screen. Both Roda trees, the entrance to Rasteenie Mine and the pond with the Golden Vase are all within a stone's throw from each other; whereas in the Chronicles version the field between Minea and Zeptic was comprised of multiple screens and somewhat maze-ish if you ventured off the beaten path.

I've already played through Dawn of Ys, which took liberties with Falcom's Ys lore and sometimes outright ignored them. But I guess it all really started with Book I&II. Originally Adol is supposed to wash ashore on Esteria, starting the running gag about him and his luck with ships. And this was retained in Chronicles. But here, Adol simply strolls up to port on a ship and is immediately contacted by Sara the Fortuneteller. There's no mention of the Stormwall or the fact that the island had been isolated for months.

Sara's another point of contention. In all other versions of Ys I,
Sara is murdered
halfway through the game. In Book I,
she's either kidnapped or simply missing
. Which ties in well with Dawn, where
she reappears out of the blue to guide you to Celceta
. In fact, Hudson's Ys ports appear to have their own continuity separate from Falcom's. The order of events goes Esteria (Ys Book I & II) --> Felghana/Kenai (Wanderers from Ys) --> Celceta (Dawn of Ys) but according to Falcom it should be Esteria --> Celceta --> Felghana. Not only that, but according to Hudson the series preemptively ends at Dawn's epilogue. It's easy to see Hudson's ports as an alternate take on Adol's adventures: if Falcom's offerings could be compared to an on-going literary saga with no foreseeable end in sight, then Hudson's take would be a somewhat faithful but still compromised Hollywood adaptation of only the first few chapters of that same saga with some executive/studio meddling to mold it into something palatable to all audiences according to focus tests.

Ah, whatever. It's fun and the music sounds great. I should stop over-analyzing and just keep playing the game.

jdkluv

Sorry for the late reply guys, but I've finally sit down and took a few pictures from the Ys manga.

Man, this is so confusing.

dZLVekj.png

Sby4JpE.png

6TMG0aq.png

i9YJuQV.png

jiIUqYj.png

G1VXFli.png

GTnZFu4.png

vxQSL7S.png

rKo6D1z.png

YZChtgR.png

CaOjLa6.png

Here's Dark Fact, aka everyone's favorite professional douche on this thread.

3V8RxmQ.png

XkP7BYf.png

P3acRYp.png

t2utmwr.png

o9rPotC.png

And also the people responsible of this manga:

HteTu18.png

There's also quite a bit of nudity too :$

Since (as far as I know) there's no way to read this manga online, I've been thinking about to scan the whole volume (this is volume 2 BTW). This would be the first time I do something like this and I can't guarantee the best quality, but it should be "good enough".

In fact, Hudson's Ys ports appear to have their own continuity separate from Falcom's. The order of events goes Esteria (Ys Book I & II) --> Felghana/Kenai (Wanderers from Ys) --> Celceta (Dawn of Ys) but according to Falcom it should be Esteria --> Celceta --> Felghana.

Didn't The Dawn of Ys take place just before the end of Ys II? With
Adol fighting Darm at the opening cinematic with that badass rendition of Termination as BGM
?

Psxphile

Ys Community Thread |OT| Fantasy, adventure, danger, frap, sword, magic and goddess all in one!

Hm, might be too long. Wait, what's a frap?

There's also quite a bit of nudity too :$
I feel like Ys already crossed that line long ago so it's not that strange? Ah well. Anyway this seems just like that Ys II Special, where they took the basic Ys plot and just went nuts with it.

Didn't The Dawn of Ys take place just before the end of Ys II? With
Adol fighting Darm at the opening cinematic with that badass rendition of Termination as BGM
?
Flashback, yo. When the game starts proper you see Adol and Dogi coming back to Esteria on a ship after being away for 2 years. So they were already traveling together, as we saw in the Ys 3 opening cinema.

If we still assume that Hudson's Ys IV takes place after their Ys II and before Ys III... that would mean that after Ys II they left Esteria for two years, came back and then after they finished their task in Celceta they left again to wander for another 1-2 years before arriving in Felghana. That would put Adol at roughly 21 years old instead of 19 as Falcom insists he was in Oath in Felghana.

Now, Mask of the Sun doesn't have a scene like that. Instead it depicts Adol reminiscing about the battle against Dark Fact, Darm and about the Goddesses before finding a bottle on a beach somewhere on Esteria so he hasn't actually traveled anywhere significant yet. He even visits Luta Gemma to get that bottle read before finally setting off for Celceta. There's never any mention of journeying with Dogi to Felghana or anywhere at all, so the proper sequence of events is maintained.

Yeah, Hudson kinda wrote themselves into a corner there. It makes more sense to slot the Felghana adventure in-between II and IV in that two year gap. Otherwise they were just bumming around the countryside for 2 years not getting a damn thing done.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So despite all my complaining I still got the Celceta platinum. Not a very fun one to get and it made me dislike the game some more, but I just had to have a "100%" next to an Ys game.

Psxphile

So despite all my complaining I still got the Celceta platinum. Not a very fun one to get and it made me dislike the game some more, but I just had to have a "100%" next to an Ys game.

Have you 100% Origin? I've been playing it off and on for over a year and I'm still not done.

Just noticed this:

8fc84b5bf6c4bd4aaf051f49297545a4951c9371.jpg
5e52fd7325f749ee43f4b824119556510cac9a1f.jpg
d0634182b387c8d43080914a273045194019e8f7.jpg
8fc84b5bf6c4bd4aaf051f49297545a4951c9371.jpg

97c8f9d9ec43e9c6d873583e192165846233ff6d.jpg
68b7771f71e74cab7d7dbe47b2ed49363b625440.jpg
18d6997107fb2ae44edd2650ab6db83d776b8313.jpg
e60273648b143979ce20fb5988bda05c8ce9f332.jpg
8d0e32dfd6238d3ca4d469ba2db8be931d3c32bc.jpg

4b6ae33bef85eb51602b6fac426c9fc38310be4a.jpg
2f0bcf0ef65f8cb34c42253a23ac16f1a8c58f00.jpg
c52c7d620842d5e7b674fd39ea2562c0c2e44573.jpg
1dcde4a63625ae9fb543aa8f05aefb5d0458248a.jpg
8adb5cea5908ac22697f49aa76afe6b227cccccd.jpg
4b6ae33bef85eb51602b6fac426c9fc38310be4a.jpg

Awesome. But the second row doesn't wrap around cleanly, there seems to be something missing that should go there but none of the other achievements seem to fit.

I'm just starting Ys Oath and I'm at the first or second boss
I beat the wizard in the store room and I'm now on the lady with wings.

I played Napishtim last year so I'm familiar with the mechanics, generally, but is there anything I need to know about this game specifically? Can I do the dash jump like in Ark? Are there any other mechanics I might not know about? I can't seem to get the lunge attack to work, but I've played with the rest of the stuff mentioned in the pause menu (boost mode, magic, the other attacks).

Top Bottom