• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

There will be a new event by June/July, right?

In any case I personally wish they'd do the V remake before going on with the series so they can "close the gap" (and I can go on with my series playthrough).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I'm up to the Artifact Lab in Celceta... got about 99.2% of the world map done so I figure I'm nearing the end... and with that, I'll have wrapped up the whole series. Hoping for a new announcement soon (Ys 8 on PS4!).

Psxphile

We've "ascended" to Gaming Community.

Righto gents. It's another community thread gone mad, so, fan-art and derails, standard procedure.

Here's a personal fave:

ys__team_up_for_adventures_by_lunartakiro-d40vuuz.jpg

Ys Team Up for Adventure by lunartakiro

kiriin

There will be a new event by June/July, right?

In any case I personally wish they'd do the V remake before going on with the series so they can "close the gap" (and I can go on with my series playthrough).

The topic/themes haven't been announce yet for the June talk show. Might be anything but several anniversaries of the older Falcom titles is coming up, so.

I can't stop listening to the different versions of Battle #58, and I've never even played any of the Ys IV/Celceta games. Help me, please.

Guys, in Celceta, I have tons of loot, I'm at the Tower where the lightning strikes (where you just get Cacillia)

At this point is it advised to sell all the crappy loot? What about the gold/silver ingots n stuff like that? With my current equipment it seems pointless to reinforce anything

This song from Ys Seven has to be the most badass song in the entire series! Seriously gives me chills.

Crossing Rage! Original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNEcBbzX2m4

Crossing Rage! JDK Band version- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcC48zLyh4E

Also, Ys Seven has a really good story imo. Dunno why so many people gave it shit at the time. Maybe they just saw the tropes (elemental dragons, flower girl, etc) and wrote it off from that. Loved some of the directions the plot went later on.

Holykael1

Banned
This song from Ys Seven has to be the most badass song in the entire series! Seriously gives me chills.

Crossing Rage! Original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNEcBbzX2m4

Crossing Rage! JDK Band version- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcC48zLyh4E

Also, Ys Seven has a really good story imo. Dunno why so many people gave it shit at the time. Maybe they just saw the tropes (elemental dragons, flower girl, etc) and wrote it off from that. Loved some of the directions the plot went later on.

I'm with you on everything said ever.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure what it is about Crossing Rage and Battle #58, but every version of those two songs feel like they are missing something.

Psxphile

Guys, in Celceta, I have tons of loot, I'm at the Tower where the lightning strikes (where you just get Cacillia)

At this point is it advised to sell all the crappy loot? What about the gold/silver ingots n stuff like that? With my current equipment it seems pointless to reinforce anything

Hm. I would be the last one to ask about this, as I just hoarded everything I found and never really did anything with it, lol. Occasionally I would see I had a few hundred of a particular mineral or flower, and then just start refining and trading up for better materials. Tried to spread it around, if you get what I mean. But I never really took advantage of the synthesis systems. This is pretty much the main reason why I had just enough of the flowers needed to make the 3 Wreathe items simultaneously (you only get one chance to do this per playthrough).

Near the end of the game I took a better look at the Trophies and noticed I would have to upgrade a weapon or armor to its max in order to earn one of them, so I just slapped on whatever gave me the biggest boosts on Adol's Ultimate weapon until I maxed it. Wasn't cheap. Whilst doing this I got a better understanding on how the weapon upgrade system worked and wondered if I could have just been applying materials sporadically on my gear as I went along. I believe you can take your old, boosted weapons/armors and transfer their upgrades to your new ones for a price? I seem to remember you can do that, but maybe there was some kind of limitation in place... but apparently it meant your upgrades weren't going to waste, as long as you were okay with losing out on the money you would have got for selling them. When I start a New Game+ I intend to use the upgrade system more.

This used to be a thing.

Dracula X had something similar, too. I miss those kinds of easter eggs.

Psxphile

I just remembered something: last night I booted Steam after not having used it for over a week and noticed two pending updates for Ys I & II Chronicles (among a few other updates for various games in my library). I didn't think there was anymore reason to be patching those games by this point. They must have been small files because it was over in a flash.

I wonder what was changed/updated.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just finished up Memories of Celceta and...I don't know. The game was fun don't get me wrong, very enjoyable combat which is 99% of what Ys is about. But even on Hard mode the crafting system made the game far too easy. I really only needed to use pots during last hour or so.

The story in typical Ys fashion is nothing to write home about and the side characters are just there for moral support and activating dungeon items.

Post final boss spoilers
I guess the lack of an actual send off for Adol and wrap up with goodbyes from the party members kinda annoyed me. The game felt very compact and kinda rushed in someplaces.

I think I preferred Ys Seven but I would still highly recommend MoC.

Psxphile

Post final boss spoilers
I guess the lack of an actual send off for Adol and wrap up with goodbyes from the party members kinda annoyed me. The game felt very compact and kinda rushed in someplaces.
Clearly Adol got so wasted celebrating their big win together with everyone that he forgot to write about it in his Celceta journal. That's why it cuts off abruptly. Researchers were baffled by another passage on the final page:

Maybe it's the ale talkin' Karna,
but you've got a butt that won't quit.
They got these big chewy pretzels here
skswojfalkljowlgrm
Fifty gold pieces??!!!? Get outta here...

Hente

Is there any reason not to play Ark of Napishtim on the PSP as opposed to the PC? I go out quite a bit so it'd be nice to play a good Ys game while on the go. Already playing through Seven.
I'll be playing off a memory stick, so hopefully that should sway away the loading problems that I've heard about.

Edit: Well that's disappointing to hear, thanks for the input.

Aeana

Is there any reason not to play Ark of Napishtim on the PSP as opposed to the PC? I go out quite a bit so it'd be nice to play a good Ys game while on the go. Already playing through Seven.
I'll be playing off a memory stick, so hopefully that should sway away the loading problems that I've heard about.

The PSP version is by far the worst version of the game. It has a terrible framerate, looks awful, loading times are bad even from memory stick, and the extra content is dumb.

jb1234

Don't, it's garbage. Play it on the PC, by far the definitive version.

TP17

All the steam games are -75% off currently and it's probably been asked a million times, but which is the best one to start with for somebody brand new to the series?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
All the steam games are -75% off currently and it's probably been asked a million times, but which is the best one to start with for somebody brand new to the series?

I'd say go with Oath in Felghana, it's basically the perfect first Ys game and the best option of those available on PC.

I and II need to be played in order, and Origin should ideally, but not necessarily, be played after II. Aside from that, the entire series is more or less stand-alone entries you can play in any order and not really miss anything.

Oath in Felghana, it's a great title that requires no prior knowledge and it gives you the whole Ys experience, it also helps that it's considered the best game of the series.

If you ever play the other games after it, I recommend playing 1&2 and then Origin.

TP17

I'd say go with Oath in Felghana, it's basically the perfect first Ys game and the best option of those available on PC.

I and II need to be played in order, and Origin should ideally, but not necessarily, be played after II. Aside from that, the entire series is more or less stand-alone entries you can play in any order and not really miss anything.

Oath in Felghana, it's a great title that requires no prior knowledge and it gives you the whole Ys experience, it also helps that it's considered the best game of the series.

If you ever play the other games after it, I recommend playing 1&2 and then Origin.

Thanks, I'll go with that Oath in Felghana!

kiriin

15 minutes of running around shooting fireballs followed by gifting everyone in Lance Village in Ys II, just for the responses. Falcom never seem to disappoint me.

Shiokazu

jesus christ, went on replaying Ys I and, you know that boss where you go like...

NANKAI YATTEMO NANKAI YATTEMO VAGULION GA TAOSENAI YO

*rages*

I just started playing Ys Origin and I'm already loving it! <3

It's too bad this might be the last one I'll play for a while as I want to wait for Falcom to remake V before going on with the series.

I also have the option of revisiting the classics on PC Engine as soon as I get my hands on a DUO-R, might do that early next year so that should keep my addiction in check :p

Mr.Jeff

om9F1CM.jpg

Well I guess that's that. Two worst parts I think were the mind numbing grind to level 60 and the Nightmare boss rush which ended up taking 18 hours. Mainly due to accidentally resetting to the title sequence twice.
Looking at Ys Origin's achievement "Complete Nightmare Bush Rush 8 times" I might leave that for a little bit.

Shiokazu

om9F1CM.jpg

Well I guess that's that. Two worst parts I think were the mind numbing grind to level 60 and the Nightmare boss rush which ended up taking 18 hours. Mainly due to accidentally resetting to the title sequence twice.
Looking at Ys Origin's achievement "Complete Nightmare Bush Rush 8 times" I might leave that for a little bit.

damn-gif-o.gif

awesomenations dude.

jb1234

om9F1CM.jpg

As much as I love Oath in Felghana, I seriously doubt I could have done what you did. I salute you.

Mr.Jeff

That maxing out to Level 60 one sounds ridiculous. I heard that the final enemies eventually only drop 1 exp or something.
You either have a choice of grinding the strongest mobs near the end for a bit more xp and spending mpre time killing them or going back to the Illburn Ruins drop off and killing enemies there with less xp but higher in numbers. Works out around about 1hr 15/20 mins per level from about level 55 onwards...

As much as I love Oath in Felghana, I seriously doubt I could have done what you did. I salute you.
It was meant to be just doing an Inferno mode run and it just kind of spiralled from there. The nightmare boss rush was by far the more difficult of them all. You're given weapons/armor and level approximate to your progress so you can't just nip off and grind a level or two or upgrade your gear.

I managed to beat Ys 2 in nightmare mode just now (got all the achievements too). Darm was so much easier than nightmare mode Dark Fact but its battle was more nerve-wracking due to how drawn out it is. The first stage is simple as fuck but then that bullet hell bullshit on the second stage always fuck me over. At least it didn't take weeks me to beat him compared to Dark Fact. Also I beat the time trail on my first shot. Don't like how all but 2 bosses require fire magic to beat but at least none of them were as bullshit as some of the first game's bosses.

Anyway, Between Ys 1 and 2, I thought 2 played better but the music was 100% better on the first game. Chronicles OST is the GOAT.

I enjoyed both games overall and look forward to installing Oath to Felghana tonight. I can proudly say I am an Ys fan now.

fRo48OA.jpg

grimmiq

Playing through Ys Seven now..really enjoying it but why does every female character use ranged piercing attacks? I like that Adol can be any damage type and I could technically just change his weapon every time I engage an armored or slash-weak enemy..But that's way too tedious.

Do characters other than Adol get different weapon types later on?

Psxphile

Playing through Ys Seven now..really enjoying it but why does every female character use ranged piercing attacks? I like that Adol can be any damage type and I could technically just change his weapon every time I engage an armored or slash-weak enemy..But that's way too tedious.

Do characters other than Adol get different weapon types later on?

'Fraid not. Since Adol's perma'd in your party they give him the ability to wield other weapon types besides Slash to accommodate the other Slash users. You're supposed to roll a party that has 1 of each weapon type at all times, so you can simply swap characters during battle when you need a particular weapon type, rather than going into the menu to switch Adol's weapon.

In Celceta however he can be switched out, so he stays as a Slash user only.

The game will prove your assessment that 'female=pierce' isn't true, in time. But yeah, in the beginning that's what it seems like.

grimmiq

'Fraid not. Since Adol's perma'd in your party they give him the ability to wield other weapon types besides Slash to accommodate the other Slash users. You're supposed to roll a party that has 1 of each weapon type at all times, so you can simply swap characters during battle when you need a particular weapon type, rather than going into the menu to switch Adol's weapon.

In Celceta however he can be switched out, so he stays as a Slash user only.

The game will prove your assessment that 'female=pierce' isn't true, in time. But yeah, in the beginning that's what it seems like.

Ahh cool, I have no clue how many characters are in the game and what genders..I found out years ago to never watch anime style opening sequences in JRPGs since they tend to reveal EVERY character you'll get in your party. "Oh anime intro!" *mute and gets a drink*

FYI, Ys I&II Chronicles is part of the PSN anime sale. It's $7.34 for PS+ people. Been waiting for a sale on any of these games - but especially this one - for months now. Been wanting to dive into this series since late last year. Finally!

Top Bottom