• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Holykael1

Banned
I'm just starting Ys Oath and I'm at the first or second boss
I beat the wizard in the store room and I'm now on the lady with wings.

I played Napishtim last year so I'm familiar with the mechanics, generally, but is there anything I need to know about this game specifically? Can I do the dash jump like in Ark? Are there any other mechanics I might not know about? I can't seem to get the lunge attack to work, but I've played with the rest of the stuff mentioned in the pause menu (boost mode, magic, the other attacks).

Thankfully they ditched the dash jump, instead you will eventually acquire an awesome double jump.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There isn't a Dash Jump or anything similar in Oath in Felghana fortunately, what you see is what you get pretty much.

Edit: Oops, beaten on the new page.

Holykael1

Banned
Dunno, I never had any problems with it. Seemed to me more like he is happy that something got easier for no reason whatsoever.

It felt very unresponsive and inconsistent. I played the ps2 version and I heard that had some input lag so maybe it was that? Idk, nevertheless I doubt it would change much even in the glorious PC version.

Edit: oops...Psxphile beat me to it.

Lucumo

It felt very unresponsive and inconsistent. I played the ps2 version and I heard that had some input lag so maybe it was that? Idk, nevertheless I doubt it would change much even in the glorious PC version.

I played the PC version and it did require a certain timing, so you couldn't just spam it right after the directional input.

B.K.

I'm playing Ys 1 on Vita right now. I'm having a hard time at
Darm Tower.
I can't find my way through that place.

B.K.

Do you have the hammer? That's like the dumbest part of the game btw.

Not yet.
Dogi just broke Adol out of the prison cell.
It wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to tell if I'm making progress. All the rooms and balconies look the same. There's no way to tell if I'm going up the tower or down.

B.K.

Dammit. I'm at the door leading to the final boss, but I can't go on because apparently I didn't get an item from a NPC hidden somewhere in the tower.

v1perz53

a trap.

good man. i want to do that next playthrough. i need 100% Ys. i hate collecting stuff though.

My Celceta platinum is one of the biggest pains in the ass I have ever done, but because of that one of the ones I am most proud of. A few hours of comparing my map to one online, crossing out each harvest point that we both had. Chests was even worse... And honestly, I liked the game so much I felt it deserved me putting in the effort to 100%.

Psxphile

Dammit. I'm at the door leading to the final boss, but I can't go on because apparently I didn't get an item from a NPC hidden somewhere in the tower.

This exact thing happened to me when I was playing Book I. Got to the door, realized I forgot to head back to Luta and get the Blue Amulet after getting Volume Gemma before continuing on. Went all the way back to Floor... 10, was it?... don't remember (same floor as the hallway trap), got the Amulet, headed back up but was killed and had to do it all over again because I didn't save after getting the amulet. :\

If you think Darm Tower was difficult to figure out you're going to LOVE Solomon Shrine. At least the music is nice.

Levyne

Banned
How is celceta?

I liked it a fair bit. The core exploration and lite dungeon crawling is fairly addictive and it was actually fun to change up party members and try out different things. The first playthrough is actually pretty difficult and crafting can be surprisingly useful. The narrative is pretty unremarkable and there's no scene skip (however, you can fast forward). The game is also a bit blurry and has an unstable framerate.

I bought Celceta a few days ago, and it is my first Us game. I am liking it a lot, for its exploration and for the combat not slowing things down too much. Exploration like this is something I want from more games.

Psxphile

I guess the shortcomings of Celceta and strengths of Seven are not as apparent on Easy difficulty.

tumblr_n0arhzQDQ71r45g3go5_r1_500.png

tumblr_n0arhzQDQ71r45g3go8_r1_500.png

I've been playing a good bit of Oath and got to the
Abandoned mines
. I really hate the double jump + float required for a couple jumps. Really enjoying the game though. I just hate missing powerups.

Tizoc

Just wanted to chime in and say I did my part and managed to convince some GAFfers to grab Ys Celceta while it's on sale. Hopefully it'll get them more interested in other games in the franchise =)

Levyne

Banned
Just wanted to chime in and say I did my part and managed to convince some GAFfers to grab Ys Celceta while it's on sale. Hopefully it'll get them more interested in other games in the franchise =)

I've seen a lot of people on my twitter timeline trying it out. Good to see.

vocab

Did ys 7 have frame drops in some areas? I remember The wind tower had some crazy ones when I played it, but I asked someone else, and they didn't remember any.

Tizoc

Why are some people saying that Ys is 'hard'? I've seen people who found Oath and Seven hard just from the first boss or two.

I mean yeah I died a lot against the first both of Oath at the start but at that point I forgot to save before fighting Durlan so I kept replaying the fight a dozen times til I beat the boss.

I too died a couple of times against later bosses but not enough to scar me or fighten me.
No whenever a boss in Oath got too strong I'd grind a little, upgrade my weapons and when I got back I was all 'COME ON LET'S GO! LET'S GO MUTHAFUCKA, LET'S DO THIS SHIT! ADOL CHRISTIN IN THE HOUSE BITCH, I BE ALL 'ATATATATATATATA' WITH MY SWORD ON YO ASS! YOU FIRIN' YO LAZER AT ME?! CHUMP, I JUMP OVER THAT SHIT THEN I GET BACK TO SLASHIN' YO FACE!
ADOL CHRISTIN BITCH, YOU TELL THEM THAT'S WHO SENT YOU TO HELL, AND IF THEY EVEN DARE SHOW THEIR DEMON ASS ON THE MORTAL PLANE AGAIN I'LL HUMILIATE THEM EVEN WORSE THAN THE LAST EVIL GOD WHO GOT ALL HIGH AND MIGHTY UP HERE!'

Heck the first boss of Ys Seven wasn't even a challenge, you just memorize patterns and dodge accordinly.

demidar

I'm not sure about Seven, but Oath on Normal is like the average game on Hard or Very Hard.

That said, a single level in Oath makes a very big difference towards boss difficulties.

akenatone

I wish we get more of these games on pc. I can't really afford a vita now. But i will support them day one when they make it one day.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Why are some people saying that Ys is 'hard'? I've seen people who found Oath and Seven hard just from the first boss or two.

I mean yeah I died a lot against the first both of Oath at the start but at that point I forgot to save before fighting Durlan so I kept replaying the fight a dozen times til I beat the boss.

You just need to grind properly and even on the hardest difficulties the bosses are just pattern memorization.

Dineren

Banned
I played Oath on normal and found the bosses to be incredibly difficult. I'm not that good at action games in general though so I guess that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I did eventually beat it and played Origins on normal afterward and found it to be far easier. How does Seven compare to the two?

vocab

I played Oath on normal and found the bosses to be incredibly difficult. I'm not that good at action games in general though so I guess that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I did eventually beat it and played Origins on normal afterward and found it to be far easier. How does Seven compare to the two?

You just have to adjust. The bosses have way more health.

Ys is a great series. I've played all the games with the exception of Ys: Memories of Celceta, and that's because I don't own a Vita. If I ever get one Celceta will be the first game I pick up.

vocab

Ys is a great series. I've played all the games with the exception of Ys: Memories of Celceta, and that's because I don't own a Vita. If I ever get one Celceta will be the first game I pick up.

It's one of the reasons I bought a vita. Thankfully the vita has tons of shit I want to play.

Servbot24

Banned
Only an hour into Celceta (my first Ys game), enjoying it so far. Battle system looks promising, hopefully it offers some nice depth.

Tizoc

Player's skill level has been decreasing on average as games get easier and more handholdy. Kids these days struggle with the first levels of 2d platformers.

I kinda hope that's not the case though. I mean if someone can beat the Souls games and find their difficulty to their liking, Ys games should be easy to them in comparison! Imagine if someone who is really good in the Souls games tells you that Ys 3 (OiF) is hard, lol!

...but it's like what Pancakes posted
You just need to grind properly and even on the hardest difficulties the bosses are just pattern memorization.

Nah you could still beat bosses without the need to grind, although the extra little health and defense help a bit :p

...but yeah, bosses in Ys are pattern memorization just like it is in other platformers and action games of the pre PSX era.

Holykael1

Banned
I kinda hope that's not the case though. I mean if someone can beat the Souls games and find their difficulty to their liking, Ys games should be easy to them in comparison! Imagine if someone who is really good in the Souls games tells you that Ys 3 (OiF) is hard, lol!

...but it's like what Pancakes posted

Nah you could still beat bosses without the need to grind, although the extra little health and defense help a bit :p

...but yeah, bosses in Ys are pattern memorization just like it is in other platformers and action games of the pre PSX era.

Souls games have slow combat. Ys Oath in Felghana requires more twitchy reactions.

Tizoc

Souls games have slow combat. Ys Oath in Felghana requires more twitchy reactions.

I don't know about twitchy, but this is pretty much what goes in my mind when playing Oath in Felghana when it comes to its combat/battles:
'ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA'

Jucksalbe

Banned
Provided you don't grind, Oath in Felghana on Nightmare is a good deal harder than Demon's Souls or Dark Souls.

The most soul crushing thing about Felghana's Nightmare difficulty is
that it's not even the highest difficulty in that game

Demon's Souls is a bit harder than most modern games, but the False King was the only thing giving me real problems there. I haven't played much of Dark Souls, maybe that's harder.

demidar

The most soul crushing thing about Felghana's Nightmare difficulty is
that it's not even the highest difficulty in that game

Demon's Souls is a bit harder than most modern games, but the False King was the only thing giving me real problems there. I haven't played much of Dark Souls, maybe that's harder.

Dark Souls is a lot easier imo. Less convoluted upgrade paths, overhauled ammo-based magic system, smoother difficulty slope, no 50% max HP reduc on death, "fairer" bosses.

But I digress, this is an Ys thread after all.

Psxphile

Thread's gone quiet. Expected, but somewhat discouraging. Ys Eight when!?

~

Slowly but surely wrapping up Book II. Now in Solomon Shrine and working my way through familiar yet not-so-familiar territory.

Have to say, because of the way the bump system works in the TG-16 ports I've been abusing the Fireball magic way more than I ever did in Chronicles since I got it. It's so much easier to just wail away from afar, and MP is abundant in this version. And once you get the Hawk Idol not only does it give your Fireball homing capacity but it can pretty much one-shot normal mooks because the magic doesn't fade away after just one hit, causing it to strike multiple times until dead. Just have to be careful, as sometimes it causes enemies to bounce back into Adol and damage him inadvertently. I can attribute at least one death to this phenomena.

I leveled up so much in the Rance Village basement thanks to a never-ending stream of "goons" as the game affectionately likes to call demons in this version. Bought out the Armory (wow at those prices doe) and pretty much played the rest of the game straight. Though I died in the poison hallway in the lava area because I forgot to equip the Roda Leaf. The game sees fit to drain your HP so fast in there you barely have time to process what's happening before it's too late. Ouch.

Arrived in Zeptic (holy fuck WOW at the new armory prices) and just making steady progress into the final phase of the game. Not much to say here, really. It's pretty much identical to Chronicles in how some things play out.

Top Bottom