• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Psxphile

Seeing this thread bumped again, I'm reminded that this is happening and a thought occurred to me: what's the chance of Konami slapping their localization on the PC version of Napishtim and releasing it themselves on Steam?

I mean, Falcom seemingly allowed Mastiff to do the same with Gurumin PC...

Jucksalbe

Banned
XSeed seems very interested in putting Napishtim on Steam and, seeing all the work they put into their other releases, that would probably the better option.

Also, it seems Gurumin is still not greenlit. How long does this process usually take?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty low, supposedly Konami only has the rights to their own ports and not the original game.

Also, it seems Gurumin is still not greenlit. How long does this process usually take?

Apparently there are weird things going on with Gurumin, despite being one of the most popular games on Greenlight it was passed over by tons of other games. But I think it has a planned release date for October? Makes no sense.

Psxphile

XSeed seems very interested in putting Napishtim on Steam and, seeing all the work they put into their other releases, that would probably the better option.

Pretty low, supposedly Konami only has the rights to their own ports and not the original game.

I too would prefer Xseed handle it themselves, mostly because we know they'll give it the TLC it deserves. I don't see Konami going to the trouble of getting the game running in widescreen and custom resolutions. I'm just a little worried Xseed could be beaten to the punch.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't know where I read that Orgins was easier than Oath, but I want to know what version of the game that person played :lol

With that said the boss fights in Orgins are AMAZING, hands down some of the best I ever fought in gaming.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know where I read that Orgins was easier than Oath, but I want to know what version of the game that person played :lol

With that said the boss fights in Orgins are AMAZING, hands down some of the best I ever fought in gaming.

I said that and stand by it. Origin on Hard = Oath on Normal.

Can't speak for Nightmare (or Inferno). I tried Nightmare on Origin and it was too grindy for me to bother with.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I said that and stand by it. Origin on Hard = Oath on Normal.

Can't speak for Nightmare (or Inferno). I tried Nightmare on Origin and it was too grindy for me to bother with.

I'm playing Nightmare on both, Origins has been way harder so far. I don't know what you mean by grindy either. You level up super fast.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing Nightmare on both, Origins has been way harder so far. I don't know what you mean by grindy either. You level up super fast.

The first area was a breeze... until I got to the first boss. I died in like three hits and needed to hit him two dozen or so. Combined with his increased speed I never even got close to beating it and just gave up trying, if the easiest boss in the game was THAT hard I was never going to finish anyway.

Pretty crazy how huge the step up in difficulty is over hard, which IMO was not all that hard.

Maybe I should give it another go sometime. It's been a while.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Origin is really easy compared to Oath.

I've finished every game of the series in the craziest difficulty except Oath.

Idk I found the Mantis boss harder than anything in Oath

The first area was a breeze... until I got to the first boss. I died in like three hits and needed to hit him two dozen or so. Combined with his increased speed I never even got close to beating it and just gave up trying, if the easiest boss in the game was THAT hard I was never going to finish anyway.

Pretty crazy how huge the step up in difficulty is over hard, which IMO was not all that hard.

Maybe I should give it another go sometime. It's been a while.
Maybe it's cause I played the series only on nightmare from the get go, but the first boss wasn't that bad took me about 4 tries to beat him, plus it helped I just got done playing Ys 1 last week so I knew what to expect from him sorta

Levyne

Banned
I really struggled on the centipede the first time I fought it, but once you know how to tackle it, it's not so bad.

I need to replay the game on a harder difficulty someday.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Idk I found the Mantis boss harder than anything in Oath

Maybe it's cause I played the series only on nightmare from the get go, but the first boss wasn't that bad took me about 4 tries to beat him, plus it helped I just got done playing Ys 1 last week so I knew what to expect from him sorta

I was playing with the third character so it's a unique Origin boss.

And it's funny, I found Pictimos and Gelaldy to be among the easiest bosses in the series. Beat both of those without much trouble on my first try on Hard mode. I'm sure Nightmare would be another story though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finishing him off is definitely the worst part of the fight, but I found his attacks so easy to dodge for the most part that I had the edge in a battle of attrition. Of course him hitting for twice as much damage or more might turn the tables.

I remember finding a trick that worked perfectly to avoid him super easily when he grows those spike limbs and chases you. I can't recall exactly what it was though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Finishing him off is definitely the worst part of the fight, but I found his attacks so easy to dodge for the most part that I had the edge in a battle of attrition. Of course him hitting for twice as much damage or more might turn the tables.

I remember finding a trick that worked perfectly to avoid him super easily when he grows those spike limbs and chases you. I can't recall exactly what it was though.

I honestly beat the last boss in Oath in less tries than I did that guy. The stupid lava demon guy was a pain in the ass as well on nightmare.

The fights just feel so much more complex in Origins than Oath to me. Plant boss was awesome. Oath was all basic dodging stuff for the most part, Only a few unique things stand out in Oath to me, The floor panels flipping on the fire dragon thing, The ice dragon using the charge to break ice and knock him down as well as break rocks while falling, and the ice platforms and energy tennis of the last boss.

Usobuko

Banned
I replayed Ys Seven since I had nothing better to do on the go. I just find the Ys games so suitable for my playing style and the simplicity of the story with a tragic overtone sits well with me.

Falcom, I would not only buy your Ys games day one, I'll buy a system for them. Any of them, if they are getting make.

I replayed Ys Seven since I had nothing better to do on the go. I just find the Ys games so suitable for my playing style and the simplicity of the story with a tragic overtone sits well with me.

Falcom, I would not only buy your Ys games day one, I'll buy a system for them. Any of them, if they are getting make.

I bought a Vita basically for Ys MoC.

Usobuko

Banned
Woot just beat Origins with Yunica :D Time for Hugo now.

That last phase on the last boss was so god damn nerve wracking

Did you just started Origins or was it a boss rush?

You unlocked the 3rd character after beating the game, which is essentially the best stealth wolverine clone in a game.

'Because of you ... I believe I'll have nothing but wonderful dreams during my long slumber'

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Did you just started Origins or was it a boss rush?

You unlocked the 3rd character after beating the game, which is essentially the best stealth wolverine clone in a game.

'Because of you ... I believe I'll have nothing but wonderful dreams during my long slumber'

I just started it, went in raw on nightmare. I do that for all the Ys games haha

Had no spoilers also so I thought I beat the boss when I killed his second form then BAM 3rd form haha

Usobuko

Banned
I just started it, went in raw on nightmare. I do that for all the Ys games haha

Had no spoilers also so I thought I beat the boss when I killed his second form then BAM 3rd form haha

That line is a spoiler if you play
Toal!
Not really much though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That line is a spoiler if you play
Toal!
Not really much though.

Haha it's pretty randomish to me right now so it didn't really feel like one. It was pretty awesome seeing the reason why the Goddess statues in early Ys games are the way they are though :D

Replaying Celceta!! :D Going for the platinum and I already lost one of the missables ;_;
Good thing it's not a difficult one, I'll get it next time.

Ys Origin had what is probably my favorite Ys OST, and that alone is saying a lot!
If anyone's interested try to give the Super Arrange album a listen, it gives me the shivers everytime!!!

I really struggled on the centipede the first time I fought it, but once you know how to tackle it, it's not so bad.

I need to replay the game on a harder difficulty someday.

Yeah the centipede gave me trouble as well :|
A couple of times I died with the thing having 1 pixel of health bar left... it's a good thing I'm not one to smash controllers...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
After playing Hugo and getting a bit past half way with him so far. I'd say Origins was easier than Oath if he was the only character I played :p

Yunica though... those fights do not favor her AT ALL

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
After playing Hugo and getting a bit past half way with him so far. I'd say Origins was easier than Oath if he was the only character I played :p

Yunica though... those fights do not favor her AT ALL

Hugo is super easy mode for the most part. I've only played the game with him once, and never on the Steam version. Other two characters are way better (especially the third character, so good).

Levyne

Banned
Playing as Hugo bored me as the first character I picked, and I ended up dropping the game. Playing again as Yunica and I ended up enjoying it a lot more.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Beat the game with Hugo on nightmare and about half way done with the 3rd character. Some of the 3rd character's unique boss fights are pretty crazy I'll say that much. But damn he's just barely less OP than Hugo. Game definitely feels like it was designed with Yunica in mind overall

Holykael1

Banned
So did anyone actually use the Celceta guide / journal? I feel like I should, but I dont want to bend the pages lol.

It's not actually necessary, the strategy guide portion of it is mostly categorizing materials and such. It's fun to look through though for the artwork and some nice tidbits like Adol's little scribbles.

Psxphile

So did anyone actually use the Celceta guide / journal? I feel like I should, but I dont want to bend the pages lol.

Nah. Read through it once, and that was enough. I have the same problem with the Mother 3 Handbook. Maybe I should get the hardcover the next time it's available.

Teknoman

It's not actually necessary, the strategy guide portion of it is mostly categorizing materials and such. It's fun to look through though for the artwork and some nice tidbits like Adol's little scribbles.

I looked through it, but didn't use it.

Geez, Cleria Ore is breaking Origin wide open. Almost sad I used it.

Nah. Read through it once, and that was enough. I have the same problem with the Mother 3 Handbook. Maybe I should get the hardcover the next time it's available.

Same here. I dont think i've ever really needed an RPG guide, but when its something nice like those, I really want to read through them.

I guess I can just wait until I beat the game then flip through it (same with Mother 3 fanbook).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mission Accomplished!

xunuQ3K.jpg

Cleared Nightmare on all the Ys games on Steam now :D Hurry up and release Ark now.

I looked through it, but didn't use it.

Geez, Cleria Ore is breaking Origin wide open. Almost sad I used it.

Are you not playing on Nightmare? You do jack shit for damage if you don't use it :lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think any of them are great, but Yunica's is the weakest and least important in my opinion. The other two at least tie in together a bit more.

cj_iwakura

I don't think any of them are great, but Yunica's is the weakest and least important in my opinion. The other two at least tie in together a bit more.

I thought Yunica's was fantastic, at least in terms of character. It's hard not to root for the country girl that every idiot antagonist keeps underestimating.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yunica I enjoyed the most, gives some insight on the goddesses as well.

Hugo's was funny just for certain interactions. His play through was boring imo. Thankfully you can clear the game INSANELY fast with him. So it's still worth it.

The 3rd character story is the most important and the actual events that happen and has a bunch of unique boss fights compared to the other 2. BUT if you don't play the other two some of the stuff that happens between the 3rd characters events and context of things wont have as much weight.

Though I would go as far as to say if you didn't play 1 and 2 first the story of the last 2 characters really doesn't mean much anyways.

Top Bottom