• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

So talk of the Ys games in the current Steam sale, and I wanted to check on one thing -- with the 3D games, if I want to play them in order of increasing gameplay advancements, I want Ark -> Oath -> Origins, or Ark -> Origins -> Oath? Since I believe there's no real plot connection between the three anyway.

Go release order even if I should mention that Ark is the worst of all the Steam Ys games, it's still great but just take that in consideration that every other game is a 10/10(well Ys 1 kinda sucks too but Ys 2 is soooooo good) when Ark is a 6-7.

Also, play 1 and 2 before Origin.

Articalys

Oh, I've already played 1 & 2, but I guess I could run back through them first just to recap the plot.
Don't have a Vita, so I'm going to have an incomplete story regardless (such as it is) since I can't play Celceta. Does Ark go into specifics about plot threads from the previous games, or just in a more general sense?

And how bad is the gameplay drop back from Oath to Ark anyway?

Marow

I'd recommend playing Ark last because how neatly is ties together parts of the mythology from the other games. If you play it first, you'll completely miss out on that.

Also, I happen to be one of those vouching for Origin before I+II. As the games spoil each other I'd rather play the game heavier on story first (Origin). Perhaps it's because I played it in that order, though. But I really can't see why playing I+II first would be a good thing.

Seda

I played I&II before Origin and I don't regret it in any sense. Seems like a pretty flexible choice.

The important thing is you must play all three of those games!

Tizoc

In a general sense.

Ark is the alpha stage of the Oath/Origin combat. Unrefined.

I want an Ark remake that makes the bosses less BS, cuts down on the grinding but keeps that sense of adventure and exploration.
Also replace dash jump with double jump :V
Oh and make Geis and whatsherface playable (the beast girl), with their own story and remixed gameplay.

I want an Ark remake that makes the bosses less BS, cuts down on the grinding but keeps that sense of adventure and exploration.
Also replace dash jump with double jump :V
Oh and make Geis and whatsherface playable (the beast girl), with their own story and remixed gameplay.

Before we get there, i'd prefer a V remake. Still want to play that game, but preferably a better iteration :v

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Why can I not find a copy of Oath in Felghana on PSP for a reasonable price?

Looks like Amazon has some used copies for decent prices. Lowest complete copy appears to be around $20 though. And there's always PSN, but I can understand that not being preferable.

I guess the upside is that it's nice to see people appreciating this gem in the PSP library.

Erheller

Found this in Trails in the Sky SC:

rZagAtV.png

Looks like Amazon has some used copies for decent prices. Lowest complete copy appears to be around $20 though. And there's always PSN, but I can understand that not being preferable.

I guess the upside is that it's nice to see people appreciating this gem in the PSP library.

Practically no games on Amazon ship to Australia, and all the ebay listings have like $30-40 international shipping.

The joys of games only being released in NA.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Found this in Trails in the Sky SC:

Oh yeah. I was wondering if that was a reference originally done by Falcom or if XSEED tweaked the dialogue a bit. I assume it was in the original since the dialogue when running into those seemed to be leading up to it.

Practically no games on Amazon ship to Australia, and all the ebay listings have like $30-40 international shipping.

The joys of games only being released in NA.

Ah, that probably makes things a lot tougher.

Yeah 5 needs a remake bad the snes version isn't a terrible game but it really stands out and is the least enjoyable game in the series. Perhaps if someone would fix the hit boxes it'd be an alright game to play.

On a completely random note, anyone have the OiF image someone made about what they were expecting it to be, vs what it actually was? I can't find it for the life of me.

Nyoro SF

I cracked through Ys MoC these past few weeks so I'll be writing up some impressions in the future

General gist so far: similar to Ys 7, there is too much nonsense getting in the way of the gameplay; saved by Duren's hilarious localization and some rebalanced systems

It's Ys, with the return of jumping.

I know everything I need to know except an English release date.

Still has the party system though, tbf if it plays more like oif or origins just with more blah blah blah between scenes and dead weights around Adol I'd be a bit happier.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Still has the party system though, tbf if it plays more like oif or origins just with more blah blah blah between scenes and dead weights around Adol I'd be a bit happier.

I don't really care for the party system, but the lost depth from jumping is my biggest peeve with Seven and Celceta (followed by the excessive narrative, and THEN the party system). Replacing it with rolling was simply a step backwards in my opinion.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've never* used parrying in any Ys game and I hope I never have to. If I ever decide to tackle Nightmare mode that will still apply.

I would rather not beat the game than parry.

*Actually I did flash guard once on accident in Celceta.

Nyoro SF

While that wouldn't be the weirdest or most insane posted thing here yet, "I won't beat a game that requires me to use a skillful technique" is pretty highly ranked, so congratulations

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
While that wouldn't be the weirdest or most insane posted thing here yet, "I won't beat a game that requires me to use a skillful technique" is pretty highly ranked, so congratulations

I mean, if I get hit, it's my fault. I'd rather focus on not getting hit in the first place than parrying if I screw up.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I've never* used parrying in any Ys game and I hope I never have to. If I ever decide to tackle Nightmare mode that will still apply.

I would rather not beat the game than parry.

*Actually I did flash guard once on accident in Celceta.

You never used any earth abilities in oath or origin?

Nyoro SF

I mean, if I get hit, it's my fault. I'd rather focus on not getting hit in the first place than parrying if I screw up.

Parrying is exactly the same as focusing on not getting hit

You get punished for parrying incorrectly for getting critical'd; the only difference between parrying and dodging is that you are raising the stakes with a parry by putting even more of your life on the line by trusting your ability to time a boss's attack

Saying you won't beat a game that requires you to parry is amusing in light of this, since easily translated it's saying "If a game requires more skill for me to beat, I won't beat it."

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Terra Bracelet

The last boss

Forgot about that, was just thinking regular enemies.

Parrying is exactly the same as focusing on not getting hit

You get punished for parrying incorrectly for getting critical'd; the only difference between parrying and dodging is that you are raising the stakes with a parry by putting even more of your life on the line by trusting your ability to time a boss's attack

Saying you won't beat a game that requires you to parry is amusing in light of this, since easily translated it's saying "If a game requires more skill for me to beat, I won't beat it."

I don't see how it translates to more skill, it's just different. If I mess up and put myself in a position where I'm going to get hit, I screwed up. Parrying is basically giving you the option to retroactively fix that mistake with good timing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't see how it translates to more skill, it's just different. If I mess up and put myself in a position where I'm going to get hit, I screwed up. Parrying is basically giving you the option to retroactively fix that mistake with good timing.

That's not how it plays out at all.

Parries are a choice you commit to, not parrying makes fights take longer as well

Nyoro SF

Parries are a choice you commit to, not parrying makes fights take longer as well

Yeah, parries are not some easy "quick fix for screwing up". You are gambling on your timing skill and the window is short, and the punishment for raising the stakes high.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

That's why I said it's different. You can choose to commit to a parry by putting yourself in a position where you are going to be hit and avoid the damage, or you can not put yourself in that position and dodge the attack.

The retroactive part is referring to bad positioning when not actively planning to use a parry. For example standing too close to the boss and it starts up a wide range attack, you are generally going to have a window to parry (otherwise parrying in general would be a guessing game, would it not?). Not so much referring to jumping into an enemy attack and mashing buttons to not take damage, I know it doesn't work like that.

It's risk/reward. Use parries and fights are faster but parries take skill to do. Don't use parries and they are longer, but longer fights also means avoiding more attacks/damage while trying to get yours in.

Psxphile

Minor thing but Oath in Felghana on Steam was recently patched (187MB) which, according to Tom at the Xseed forums: "Asked Sara about it, and she said it was basically just some back-end stuff to more or less future-proof the game and ensure it continues to run smoothly for as many people as possible down the line. There should be no noticeable differences from this patch for 99%+ of players."

Pretty cool, unfortunately there are reports of the first Chester fight crashing the game now, which Sara says should be an easy fix. In fact I think it's already been fixed according to some comments on the Steam forums.

Top Bottom