• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm seriously considering importing Ys vs Sora as I feel a fighting game would be easy to brute force my way though

It's very import friendly. I have it, and basically the only thing you really need a translation for is the items/equipment. And fortunately, there is a wiki that has it covered.

That said, the game itself is merely okay. I think it would be more fun on a console with local multiplayer. Stages would need to be redesigned for that though since they are pretty big.

That Celceta PC conversion doesn't look half-bad judging from the still on Neoseeker.

I wonder, how long has Falcom been using the blur/gauze effect in games like this? That's something I'm not excited to see, as their art stands out better with point filtering/no AA.

That Celceta PC conversion doesn't look half-bad judging from the still on Neoseeker.

I wonder, how long has Falcom been using the blur/gauze effect in games like this? That's something I'm not excited to see, as their art stands out better with point filtering/no AA.

Yeah, I didn't like the bloom filter in the Vita version, and the models/graphics there looks terrific compared to the Vita one.

Psxphile

Mirroring the screenshot in the link, also two more found in that OP's profile from back in November:
r0Mf7v0.jpg

F4wzYvj.jpg

NpqWJEf.jpg

Beat Ys Celceta a couple days ago on PS TV. I liked it well enough, but it kinda overstayed it's welcome in the final quarter. Those last couple of dungeons before the final one could have been cut and I wouldn't have minded one bit. Final dungeon was rather amazing though. Visually it was a nice surprise and I dug how each section had it's own gimmick. Difficulty-wise I did not like how they allowed for as many healing items as you wanted. Even Seven had limitations, especially on higher difficulties.

I think I preferred Seven more than Celceta in the end. I kinda want to clear my palette and do another playthrough of Felghana, VI, or Origins because I prefer the tighter Ys experiences.

Also finished Ys II on Steam for the first time after getting stuck trying to pick up Tarf's (?) black pearl he dropped somewhere and forgetting where in the hell the conference room was. Glad to finish this after so many years of only having TGCD version under my belt. I must say that the last boss and it's room was visually stunning. It reminded me of something that would wow me on the Sega Saturn.

Tizoc

Confession time:
I am unable to progress through Memories of Celceta due to its performance on the Vita :(
Would love for there to be a PC release so I can play it at better FPS.

Nyoro SF

Confession time:
I am unable to progress through Memories of Celceta due to its performance on the Vita :(
Would love for there to be a PC release so I can play it at better FPS.

Hm? I'm a huge framerate elitist but the worst slowdown I experienced was inside the
tower with the headless knights
and even that wasn't enough to stop me from playing.

Tizoc

What's the best Mighty Obstacle remix? The original tune is fine but I don't like the instruments used in it ery much.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best Mighty Obstacle remix? The original tune is fine but I don't like the instruments used in it ery much.

One of the more recent albums had a good version I think, but I don't remember which it was and can't check right now. I want to say it was the Collected Ys Music one, not sure though.

Do know that I really like the 2008 Spring version of Release of the Far West Ocean, because it's basically the original but with live instruments.

Guessing some people will chime in with Songs of Zemeth, but I didn't like the vocals and the instrumental versions don't have leads.

One of the more recent albums had a good version I think, but I don't remember which it was and can't check right now. I want to say it was the Collected Ys Music one, not sure though.

Guessing some people will chime in with Songs of Zemeth, but I didn't like the vocals and the instrumental versions don't have leads.
The multi-chip FM synth rearrangement for Collected Ys Music is top-notch, losing some of the original's eclectic instruments (suddenly trumpets!) for a classic Falcom rock feel. I think it's one of two official rearrangements, the other being Songs of Zemeth (which is awesome in concept but Jill's Project's vocalist doesn't have the best pronunciation). None of the doujin versions I've listened to and can't remember sources for didn't strike me as better than Kamikura's FM version.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
SSH did one and it's solid, but very much standard fare as far as his stuff goes. It's really old though, I'd like to hear a new arrangement but these days almost all he does is Touhou arranges and the occasional single/collab on other people's albums.

The one from Hellion Sounds (Eru?) is pretty good.

I don't think it's a song that takes all that well to arrangements actually, but that stems from the fact I don't think it's all that great of a song in the first place.

I think Mighty Obstacle has way more potential for rearrangement than something awesome but limited like Four Wind Gods from Legend of Xanadu (which has gotten at least two great, flowery metal takes from doujin musicians).

Ugh, playing Ys 5 and apparently got a gamebreaking glitch :/

Where the thugs ask you for 9000 gold to save the girl, after i walk to the arena, nothing happens. Guess i will wait for the Vita remake...

Palom

After all these years of knowing about Ys, but never playing any of the games, I finally decided to get into the series. I figured I'd play the games in chronological order, and have played I & II Chronicles and Oath in Felghana on PSP. I've really enjoyed them so far (Felghana was fantastic), so I'm planning to play Celceta next on Vita. However, since Lost Kefin was never released in English, should I get the Super Famicom version since there's a fan translation for it, or just skip it?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
After all these years of knowing about Ys, but never playing any of the games, I finally decided to get into the series. I figured I'd play the games in chronological order, and have played I & II Chronicles and Oath in Felghana on PSP. I've really enjoyed them so far (Felghana was fantastic), so I'm planning to play Celceta next on Vita. However, since Lost Kefin was never released in English, should I get the Super Famicom version since there's a fan translation for it, or just skip it?

It's universally considered the worst game in the series, outside of spinoffs like the shovelware-tier Ys Strategy. I'd say skip it and hold out for an eventual remake.

Cqef

If you're curious about Ys V, you maybe should just play it as well since it's not very time-consuming (it's a particularly easy game). I wouldn't discard it because it's one of the most flawed games in the series though. Its difficulty is laughable, its magic system is absolutely useless, it looks super generic, the few platforming sessions are horrendous, the music doesn't sound like an Ys game (but still very good in its own right), but I still found myself enjoying it quite a bit.

But as said, if there's an Ys game screaming for a remake, it's this one. But I didn't ear anything about a remake from Falcom though, so if it ends up becoming a thing, it won't be any time soon.

If you're curious about Ys V, you maybe should just play it as well since it's not very time-consuming (it's a particularly easy game). I wouldn't discard it because it's one of the most flawed games in the series though. Its difficulty is laughable, its magic system is absolutely useless, it looks super generic, the few platforming sessions are horrendous, the music doesn't sound like an Ys game (but still very good in its own right), but I still found myself enjoying it quite a bit.

But as said, if there's an Ys game screaming for a remake, it's this one. But I didn't ear anything about a remake from Falcom though, so if it ends up becoming a thing, it won't be any time soon.

I mean they've remade 3 in the 6 engine and 4 in the 7 engine so history would indicate after ys 8 comes out we'll see a remake of ys 5 in the 8 engine. Ys 5 on snes didn't really have much in terms of characters I can see/remember becoming playable but I know the PS2 port had Dogi so likely he'll be back for the ys 5 remake.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I mean they've remade 3 in the 6 engine and 4 in the 7 engine so history would indicate after ys 8 comes out we'll see a remake of ys 5 in the 8 engine. Ys 5 on snes didn't really have much in terms of characters I can see/remember becoming playable but I know the PS2 port had Dogi so likely he'll be back for the ys 5 remake.

I guess it's yet to be seen, but the "8 engine" doesn't really look that different than the "7 engine," gameplay wise. It looks like Celceta with jumping.

On the upside for Ys 5, at least it's not all that expensive. Probably because nobody outside of the most hardcore Ys fans care anything about the game.

I guess it's yet to be seen, but the "8 engine" doesn't really look that different than the "7 engine," gameplay wise. It looks like Celceta with jumping.

On the upside for Ys 5, at least it's not all that expensive. Probably because nobody outside of the most hardcore Ys fans care anything about the game.

I mean Ys 5 snes has a shit load of (annoying) platforming sections, if anything ys 8 adding jumping would further make it the perfect groundwork for a ys 5 remake :p

Palom

Thanks for the feedback. Since it's fairly cheap, and short and easy, I think I'll pick up the SFC version of Ys V and just do a quick play-through before playing Napishtim, if anything just for context.

Eila

You're not missing much but it's not too bad. It's an average SNES ARPG.
It's a travesty for a Ys game to have Square wannabe music and easy as shit boss battles, which is probably why everyone hates it.

You're not missing much but it's not too bad. It's an average SNES ARPG.
It's a travesty for a Ys game to have Square wannabe music and easy as shit boss battles, which is probably why everyone hates it.

With the jank hit boxes the bosses in ys 5 has the last thing that game needed was harder fights

Eila

With the jank hit boxes the bosses in ys 5 has the last thing that game needed was harder fights

I was thinking of reworked boss battles is what the game needed. I believe Ys V Expert just upped the difficulty, but the game mechanics weren't exactly exciting.
I still enjoyed it because I love 16 bit RPGs, but if I was in looking for a Ys experience I would hate the game. Thankfully, Ys IV Dawn of Ys exists and is fan-translated.

Historically, how long has it taken after the JP release of each new Ys game for the localization to hit? I see that Ys VIII is announced for Summer 2016, but I assume that's the JP release. When should we expect the western release?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Historically, how long has it taken after the JP release of each new Ys game for the localization to hit? I see that Ys VIII is announced for Summer 2016, but I assume that's the JP release. When should we expect the western release?

Summer/fall 2017 is a safe bet. Not guaranteed obviously, but XSEED won't hesitate to jump on an Ys game and the turnaround will probably be similar to Celceta, which was a year.

Psxphile

Falcom's original concept for Ys V had Dogi and Adol coming to Xandria together, only for Dogi to go and crush on one of the locals and stay behind at the end. Understandably, they moved away from that during production... but you never know what they'll choose to retcon out (or back) in a remake.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat Ys VI, the only other one I have beaten is Oath in Felghana. Which Ys should I play next?

What are you options? There isn't really a wrong choice here. Origin is fantastic and similar to the ones you have already played. 1&2, Seven, or Celceta would offer different experiences and all of them are solid (Ys 1 less so, but 2 makes up for it).

Seda

Ys Origin. It's the same style as those two and also great all around.

You could try out Chronicles or whatever other version of I&II afterward.

Fou-Lu

I own all of I, II, Origin, Seven and Celceta. I have started Origin before but found it difficult to get in to. Perhaps I will try again.

Tizoc

Very well then.
Now can we please get the Ys games on GDQ? I don't think they've ever been on there =_=

Top Bottom