• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Loving Origins (just beat lava boss), but I wish it had outdoor areas/town like in Felghana.

Any reason to hoard Celcetean Panacea (HP up potion) ?
I'd drink them up, but you never know with these games.

Erheller

I remembered it being +1, but I could be wrong. Don't think I have a save file with one handy to check. Report back theMrCravens!

I had a stray thought just now (Ys VI/Napishtim Ruins of Lost Time spoiler): is
Majunun
a prize
Eldeen Pikkard
?! Thing's so cute but also the most dangerous thing you could possibly fight in-game. Or, given where you find it, did some
Darkling
mad scientist make it and then had to seal it away because the
Galba creators
got jealous? Obviously we know Falcom put it there to mess with players (just like how you can encounter the
Dark Shrine immortals
all the way back in Illburns Ruins when getting
the Cape
in Felghana), but I like my theories.

krossj

Just defeated Kava Kelos. Intense battle especially when the wings turn yellow it just pulls off some bullshit combos, fun but it took multiple tries to get the dodging and attack patterns down. The rest of the bosses have been relatively easy in comparison. Started Seven after having a great time with Celceta and Oath, so far it is a lot of fun but I sometimes have no idea what the AI is doing.

ArjanN

I had a stray thought just now (Ys VI/Napishtim Ruins of Lost Time spoiler): is
Majunun
a prize
Eldeen Pikkard
?! Thing's so cute but also the most dangerous thing you could possibly fight in-game. Or, given where you find it, did some
Darkling
mad scientist make it and then had to seal it away because the
Galba creators
got jealous? Obviously we know Falcom put it there to mess with players (just like how you can encounter the
Dark Shrine immortals
all the way back in Illburns Ruins when getting
the Cape
in Felghana), but I like my theories.

I think falcom just like to make that secret optional boss that's actually harder than the final boss look cute. Like the Black Pikkard in Oath, and the Black Bean in Gurumin.

Maedhros

Quoting myself from other thread:

Ok guys, sorry for ressurrecting this but I didn't really wanted to create a topic to share this rant.

Ys 3 SNES is one of the worst games I've played in the last years. HOLY COW, what the fuck is wrong with the hit detection in this game.

Usually, I always stick with the game, even if it's not that good... but I can't do the same with this. The fuck were they thinking while programming this game? That changing the hitboxes would make the game harder?

Dropped this shit and started the TG16 version... it's a cakewalk and the translation sucks and the graphics are a bit worse, with a shitty parallax barrier... but at least it's playable, it put this version leagues ahead of the POS that is SNES one.

I'm playing the whole series in one go.

Ys 1 and 2 were fantastic. Will replay it with the TurboGraphx version after I finish Ys 3 and Ys 4: Mask of the Sun..

Ys 4: Dawn of Ys too, even though it wasn't canon. It plays really well.

Ys 3...well... I'm not really liking it as much as the other 3... I'm sure I'll love Oath though.

Teknoman

Shoulda gone with the Genesis version of Ys 3, bre. Best port of the three.

Really? Even with the CD soundtrack from TG/PCE version?

It seems like the best of both worlds for even Dragon Slayer, would've been Genesis graphics with the TG/PCE CD soundtrack...if only Sega CD had a version.

EDIT: The Genesis music actually doesnt sound that bad.

I think falcom just like to make that secret optional boss that's actually harder than the final boss look cute. Like the Black Pikkard in Oath, and the Black Bean in Gurumin.
See, though, Black Bean in Gurumin (story spoilers) is most likely the one true missing character from the story, aka
The Prince
. I got this implication from the alternate dialogue option you can select before fighting it, where Black Bean says it doesn't remember who it was, acting all astonished like it didn't realize it was in the Oblivion Abyss serving a sentence as optional super-boss. Plus, this optional boss shares a few characteristics with, again,
The Prince
in combat. Black Pikkard meanwhile is meant to be a gag boss you earn after beating
Inferno mode
in Felghana, not something most players can access like Black Bean. This has me thinking Majunun is a questionable enigma like Black Bean.

Psxphile

Really? Even with the CD soundtrack from TG/PCE version?

It seems like the best of both worlds for even Dragon Slayer, would've been Genesis graphics with the TG/PCE CD soundtrack...if only Sega CD had a version.

EDIT: The Genesis music actually doesnt sound that bad.

Granted, you do take a hit in the music fidelity department going from CD to FM synth, but as you say the soundtrack came out pretty good and the rest of the game is superbly put together: Sega are old pros at porting. I wish we could've seen what they had in mind for Ys IV.

jb1234

Ys 3...well... I'm not really liking it as much as the other 3... I'm sure I'll love Oath though.

Yeah, the original Ys 3 isn't great, especially the SNES version (which I owned as a kid). There's a very easy way to level up to your max early on and even when you do that, the game is still harder than hell. Oath is a vast improvement in all areas.

Maedhros

Finished the TurboGraphx version...

It's really not that good... at least it'll live on, with it's music (the only aspect I liked from the game).

Now... I dunno which one should I play... Mask of the Sun or Books I & II on TurboGraphx?

Seda

Ys 8 website updated, a couple new screens. 2 wallpapers.

Ys8_Jan282016_01.jpg
Ys8_Jan282016_04.jpg

Ys8_Jan282016_02.jpg
Ys8_Jan282016_03.jpg

Ys8_Jan282016_05.jpg
Ys8_Jan282016_06.jpg

ys8_01w.jpg
ys8_02w.jpg

02.jpg

http://www.falcom.com/ys8/index.html

Heh, seems as though we can play the blue-haired lady? I like her weapons of choice, and who knows, she's alone in that pic...maybe solo Adol-style play is returning in an unexpected way.

Nyoro SF

Falcom consistently draws the most beautiful women for Adol to not fall in love with.

Anyway I like the shots. Will definitely pick up on PS4.

Seda

Oh this may be old news but I didn't realize this doesn't fall at the end of the Ys game series timeline. Adol is 21 here, (23 in Ys 7).

In order to rescue the passengers drifting ashore and defend themselves from the “Ancients” that attack humans, Adol builds a “Drifting Village” as a base.

Before long, Adol has a strange “dream” on this island. There is a mysterious girl with blue hair, and she lives in an unknown world.
Two bombs right here. Adol gets to share the shipwreck woes, and I get the feeling this heroine's got her own story altogether that will tie in with whatever Adol and his party friends encounter. What this means for her style of play is anyone's guess.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Two bombs right here. Adol gets to share the shipwreck woes, and I get the feeling this heroine's got her own story altogether that will tie in with whatever Adol and his party friends encounter. What this means for her style of play is anyone's guess.

So the hope here is for two story routes, one for Adol and friends and the other for solo blue hair chick.

That would be more enjoyable than a switch back and forth thing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Switching back and forth would get annoying at some point, unless Falcom's got a master plan for how to pace that set-up.

Play through as Adol and friends and beat major boss - > Play as girl and beat major boss - > repeat til certain point - > blue hair girl joins party yay or has segments vs last boss she tag teams swapping back and forth with adol and co.

Play through as Adol and friends and beat major boss - > Play as girl and beat major boss - > repeat til certain point - > blue hair girl joins party yay or has segments vs last boss she tag teams swapping back and forth with adol and co.

That would be annoying and reminds me of Ys 7's final boss fight >_<

Nyoro SF

Ys: Memories of Celceta punchlist review:

So when I started the game, I started on Normal to see whether or not it was true like people had said that the game was an embarrassingly easy cakewalk. And sure enough, it was. So, per suggestions, I restarted the game on Nightmare. The difference was apparent from the very first boss fight, which requires some really tight and consistent reactions to defeat.

Before I begin, I suggest that people NOT play this game on Nightmare, and you should play it on Hard instead, for reasons I will soon explain...

Enjoyable:
Combat: The quickstep from Ys 7 is back but it's more refined and less spastic. Parry was taken off the triggers and is now activated with a single button press (good!). Remappable controls is a godsend. On Nightmare, the timing for both parry and flash dodge is very strict; good! The skills are far better, WAY more fun and more refined in this game and they took out that garbage level restriction from Ys 7 as well. You can also tell they really went out of their way to avoid clones and make sure everyone has their own unique fighting style too. The idea of stacking same-type fighters to get a damage boost is clever too.
World: I really liked the whole setup with Adol and the mystical forest that people can get lost in and never return; that's some classic fantasy right there. Exploring the forest was quite interesting and I liked the home base area as well. Each village was very uniquely designed, even if you were just traversing it, which made it fun. Filling out a map is a very fun exercise, and I like how Falcom made the discovery range forgiving enough to entice you to try to discover all the hidden areas of the map.
Music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBX49COJ470 <- this is HYPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNxIca77oWc
If you're playing a Falcom game and you don't get at least one sick tune, then something is wrong!
Voices: English VA is good for every character except the one trident chick who I've forgotten! Adol sounds MANLY as hell, probably not correct in terms of timeline but who cares?
Dungeons: Greatly improved in terms of gimmicks from 7 and a lot of fun. I'll give a special shoutout to the puzzle room where you have to rotate circular platforms, the ruins, and the one where you have to manipulate water levels to get all treasure.
Bosses: Satisfying and diverse boss fights; I'd like to give a shoutout to the one boss with the lasers and orbs, that bastard was so satisfying to beat. On Nightmare you are really pressed to learn how these bosses work, more than ever. This game has so many bosses, it's kind of nuts. Each dungeon area has a mini boss and a big boss, there are bosses that appear outside of the dungeons quite a few times as well.
Quests: Despite the fact that I abhor nonsense time-wasting side quests in RPGs, I found the quests in Ys MoC to be VERY quick, speedy affairs, and an easy way to earn the all-important cash for Nightmare. Some fun cutscenes and dialogue that didn't take up much of my time at all either.

Unenjoyable:
Combat: The game's framerate and frenetic pace makes it really unnecessarily hard to properly time dodges and parries. Also, you can't cancel attacks into dodges or parries. This is really bad for the slower characters like Ozma and Frieda, and turns the game into a weird scenario where even striking a regular monster requires a lot of commitment beforehand, otherwise you'll get beat up badly. The party system's slogging effect with unreliable teammates vs. making fights too easy rears its head again. Because on Nightmare you earn so little money, it's unfeasible to invest in armor and weapons for more than 3 characters without a huge amount of grinding, so you are totally at the mercy of whether your party members are good at not getting hit and can't rely on swapping. Chugging down items during boss fights turns things into a pause fest which is really not fun. Also, the fact that Flash Dodge doesn't "cancel" the active frames of an enemy attack makes certain setups really, really dumb where you'll pull off a dodge but get hit by followup frames of the same attack. Parry has a similar but different problem where the critical isn't stored long enough. And the final battle exposing
how sloppy the one-man system is when there are no party members, showing the framerate jank in its purest form
World: The whole deal of a mystery hidden forest loses its charm when most of it doesn't lead to anything special and the story changes tack so hard in the last 70% of the game that it basically doesn't matter that the forest is there anymore. Also, the splitting up of certain buffing and crafting repositories to certain parts of the map... I understand why they did this so that places you visit don't become obsolete immediately, but boy that was a pain in the ass. Ultimately I felt like the world placement was dropped so hard on you that it lost a lot of its charm.
Loading Times: So weird that it deserves its own category. So the loading times of going from field to field weren't bad at all, but for some reason, going into a HOUSE, or leaving a house/building, would result in 10 SECOND LOAD TIMES. In towns with lots of entryways into residences or smiths or whatnot, this was just absolutely brutal to deal with. It happened regardless of what town it was too, or the size of the house. This was such a negative for me that it really damaged any fun experience I had in villages, and I have no adequate explanation for why such tiny rooms take four times longer to load than large environments, or why LEAVING one causes the same load time.
Story: So I found the story to be a big WTF and not really interesting at all. The second half just goes absolutely off the rails and the final parts of the game are whack and not in a funny way either. When
the spirit of the king from the past has locked his soul into a monster construct and shows himself, or Leila(sp?) smashing away the barrier to get the mask and having it sloppily fall into enemy hands, or the final dungeons and side-villains totally thrown in last minute. The whole Adol losing his memories reason is rather tossed out in a rather simple way, and the main villain... I still don't even understand why he was doing what he was doing other than just "raw power". Not funny in a B-movie way of Dalles cackling on top of a tower or whatever, just lame.
. Cutscenes were long, but they didn't have as many gameplay interruptions total as Ys 7 did, so that's a nice touch.
Difficulty: Playing on Nightmare makes money drops tiny, experience way slower and ups the damage versus you significantly, so you have to play carefully instead of mashing through the whole game with super-buffed armor or ridiculous health levels. However with the healing items being chuggable mid-battle, and the bosses speedy attacks designed around you healing mid-battle like a crazed potion alcoholic, combined with the unreliable combat elements, the bosses and their huge HP pools and forcing me to grind even with EXP boosting items, I found that "careful" didn't really matter. Also, nearly all bosses cannot be stunned on Nightmare either. I felt like the gimping of leveling and money was just way too harsh in terms of making the game not flexible rather than just doing something simple like focusing on enemy damage and attacks more. I recommend playing on Hard, which strikes a much nicer balance of what you can do versus bosses and what you're limited by.
Materials and Crafting: This system is convoluted and crazy. By the time you're 75% through the game, the amount of buffing and combining you can do is so staggering, it's actually distracting. I spent more time at the character config screen and warping around to shops that can actually do what I want them to do that it became a huge slog.

I think the core of the game is kind of flawed with the combat, and while there's lots of good ideas and better execution from Ys 7, but they failed to follow up with many elements, with the story throwing itself into mediocrity and the combat being very unexceptional. I may have had my perspective skewed by playing on Nightmare, but Normal was such a joke I couldn't take it anymore. I should have just played on Hard instead if the combat and party system and limited money were going to be like this, but difficulty changes don't make the game any better in terms of a refined experience.

Here's hoping that Ys VIII takes a look at some of these issues and provides a smoother more skill-based action experience (I know I'm dreaming, but maybe make the PS4 version 60fps...?) with a better story, a world that connects better with the story and not so awful loading times.

thefil

Just started playing Oath in Fhelgana tonight. It's my first Ys game. Oof!

Managed to figure out the first two bosses in the mines, but now I'm being wiped out by the regular enemies in the ruins of all things. It's the stupid little impervious guys. I figured out I can damage them with a downward strike, but the first time you fight any there's three of them and it seems as soon as I come down I damage one or two but take damage from the others. Before I know it, dead.

Any tips for a series newcomer? Should I have grinded past level 8 by now? I bought the next level of sword but I don't have enough ore to upgrade it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just started playing Oath in Fhelgana tonight. It's my first Ys game. Oof!

Managed to figure out the first two bosses in the mines, but now I'm being wiped out by the regular enemies in the ruins of all things. It's the stupid little impervious guys. I figured out I can damage them with a downward strike, but the first time you fight any there's three of them and it seems as soon as I come down I damage one or two but take damage from the others. Before I know it, dead.

Any tips for a series newcomer? Should I have grinded past level 8 by now? I bought the next level of sword but I don't have enough ore to upgrade it.

If you can manage one more level you will probably be able to damage the ruins enemies just fine. One level or a weapon upgrade (new one or getting it forged) makes a huge difference. That said, those particular enemies are invulnerable until you do the downward strike (and you can hit them briefly afterwards). As long as you can kill them quickly they aren't too bad.

Big tip, I'd suggest making sure you are as upgraded as possible before tackling the ruins boss (second checkpoint, ritual area I think). It's a big help.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hi guys. Just started playing Ys Origins a couple weeks ago and it's my first Ys game(seems I goofed by playing this one first :( ) I love it so far!

Anyway a quick question.....I just completed normal with Yunica and I'm now playing on Hard with Hugo. I'm not 100% sure but it kinda seems like it's taking a bit longer to build up a healthy amount of SP on this second run(I'm only level 14 so far) than it did the first time on Normal. Does SP quantity decrease a little when going from Normal to Hard to Nightmare or does it stay the same?

Erheller

Hi guys. Just started playing Ys Origins a couple weeks ago and it's my first Ys game(seems I goofed by playing this one first :( ) I love it so far!

Anyway a quick question.....I just completed normal with Yunica and I'm now playing on Hard with Hugo. I'm not 100% sure but it kinda seems like it's taking a bit longer to build up a healthy amount of SP on this second run(I'm only level 14 so far) than it did the first time on Normal. Does SP quantity decrease a little when going from Normal to Hard to Nightmare or does it stay the same?

SP drops are smaller in Hard and miniscule in Nightmare.

Seems Kondo thinks Adol had the hots for Feena at the end of Ys II Eternal, according to the recent Falcom interview by Eurogamer.

Blighted Blood area OST in Origin.

So damn good!
Samsara and Paramnesia is an underrated track for sure. Thing is, Ryo Takeshita's made so many ace rock themes for Falcom but he less frequently tried breaking out of that niche, so maybe he realized that and left to resolve that vulnerability. I still think doing yet another Feena arrangement for Origin Super Arrange, instead of Blighted Blood, was a missed opportunity.

Top Bottom