• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Tizoc

Imagine an snes ys game but with an attack button that has the range and speed of an Adol bump attack with fantastic music and graphics but fairly meh gameplay.
So its name is just lagoon?
Cuz im a guy who blindly goes after games while given the simplest of info ;p

So its name is just lagoon?
Cuz im a guy who blindly goes after games while given the simplest of info ;p
Yeah

50860_front.jpg

JaseMath

Started playing Ys: MoC over the weekend and it's disappointing because it seems like a carbon copy of Ys VII in terms of gameplay and story structure. Tell me this changes.

ultra7k

I knew there had to be a Ys thread somewhere on GAF, and I'm glad I found it.

Currently playing Ys I+II Chronicles on my Vita, and my first time playing Ys I. I originally started back in '94 with Ys II: Special which was the Korean remake of Ys II. Didn't see it in the OP, but it exists! I remember reading about how the company wanted to release a CD-Rom version with speech, though I don't think that ever came about. A little sad we never got other remakes of the kind IMO.

Anyways, looking forward to Ys 8 when it comes out, and maybe someday a remake/release for Ys 5?

Currently playing Ys I+II Chronicles on my Vita, and my first time playing Ys I. I originally started back in '94 with Ys II: Special which was the Korean remake of Ys II. Didn't see it in the OP, but it exists! I remember reading about how the company wanted to release a CD-Rom version with speech, though I don't think that ever came about. A little sad we never got other remakes of the kind IMO.

Anyways, looking forward to Ys 8 when it comes out, and maybe someday a remake/release for Ys 5?

Ys 2 Special seems interesting, though apparently getting it to run nowadays is a hassle. I'd love to see what you think of the Chronicles version of Ys 2 by comparison, from what I understand they are very different games. I'd love to play a translation of special at some point.

ultra7k

Ys 2 Special seems interesting, though apparently getting it to run nowadays is a hassle. I'd love to see what you think of the Chronicles version of Ys 2 by comparison, from what I understand they are very different games. I'd love to play a translation of special at some point.

Can't Ys II Special be run through DosBOX, or does it create all kinds of issues? I know I still have the game somewhere on an old burned CD Rom and an old 486 where the game can run natively at my parents place. The only question is whether or not the computer will turn on after all these years lol. The game was so hyped between my friends and I we couldn't wait to play it. That and Astonisha Story.

Psxphile

You'll notice I didn't include Ys Online or Ys Strategy either. :p I did, however, include a link to Hardcore Gaming 101's in-depth articles on the Ys series. They go over Ys II Special fairly well down at the bottom of the Ys I+II page: link

Could be fun to go through once if it ever gets translated.

JNJvLbc.png

ADOL STRONKEST THERE IS.

ultra7k

You'll notice I didn't include Ys Online or Ys Strategy either. :p I did, however, include a link to Hardcore Gaming 101's in-depth articles on the Ys series. They go over Ys II Special fairly well down at the bottom of the Ys I+II page: link

Could be fun to go through once if it ever gets translated.

JNJvLbc.png

ADOL STRONKEST THERE IS.

Ah that is a cool link! I forgot Mantra also did Princess Maker 2 back in the day for Korean audiences...

One of my ambitions in life is to do a live stream of a game, but who knows if I'll ever have the time lol.

JaseMath

Man...MoC is such a slog to get through. The gameplay is solid (like all Ys titles), but the story—which has definite potential—is held back by too much terrible dialogue and too many, "So, what you're saying is..." moments.

jb1234

Man...MoC is such a slog to get through. The gameplay is solid (like all Ys titles), but the story—which has definite potential—is held back by too much terrible dialogue and too many, "So, what you're saying is..." moments.

I've always found it amusingly ironic that MoC's story ends up being forgettable.

Psxphile

Random Ys-related musing of the day week month: How likely is it that the Ys 8 PS4 port that was pushed back will be getting EX+ like extras added to make up for the delay? PS4 Pro compatibility?

I mean, if they're going to delay it they might as well make it worthwhile, right? That being said, we still don't have the VITA version over here so if the above came to pass and those extras weren't available for VITA owners... yikes.

Random Ys-related musing of the day week month: How likely is it that the Ys 8 PS4 port that was pushed back will be getting EX+ like extras added to make up for the delay? PS4 Pro compatibility?

I mean, if they're going to delay it they might as well make it worthwhile, right? That being said, we still don't have the VITA version over here so if the above came to pass and those extras weren't available for VITA owners... yikes.

Yeah, I really think such a scenario is more likely after the mentioned release timeframe.

I think they kind of have to. Not sure how well they'd expect a 1:1 port to do a year after initial launch.

What sucks about that is that Western fans are probably looking at even longer of a wait because of it, or a situation similar to TX an Aksys

Also makes me wonder how they'll handle Sen 3

I thought they confirmed when the delay was announced that the PS4 version will not be have extra content.

Of course they said that so people would still buy the Vita version, if they said "oh the PS4 will have more content" nobody would buy the Vita version except Vita only owners.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Of course they said that so people would still buy the Vita version, if they said "oh the PS4 will have more content" nobody would buy the Vita version except Vita only owners.

It would have made sense to say nothing at all if that was the concern. Now if it does have extra content people would be upset because they lied.

And the PS4 version was probably for the western audience anyway which is why they weren't bothered to delay it.

Gu4n

Unlike Tokyo Xanadu, Ys VIII already feels like a complete package that leaves nothing to be desired. I can't think up something they could add that would genuinely enrich the experience.

Edit
Now I have finished Persona 5, I'll say it again: Ys VIII is my GOTY.

Psxphile

I don't know what that is and why it's a bad thing apparently.

I actually had something much more elaborate typed up as a response but it started to come across as a little mean-spirited so I toned it down.

Gu4n

Context for the joke: in Ys VIII, Dogi is in charge with the defence of the village. He requests Adol for materials to strengthen fences, gates and bait for incoming waves of monsters. That's pretty much everything he does in Ys VIII, so having a side chapter with playable Dogi would be very out of place in this setting.

Kudo

Thought I'd ask here, is there a mod or something for Ys Chronicles that lets you play in Chronicles (Widescreen) mode without the zoom? I'd prefer to play 16:9 but it cuts the screen pretty badly I hear.

Tizoc

I really should turn my 'Ys games on sale' threads into an Ys series primer. The games are on sale over at gog.com, should I go ahead and make the primer based on my prior threads?

NightWolve

Neo Member

Looked like a touch of Neutopia I/II to me from the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 platform which was their Zelda clone. I remember that I rented and beat this in my SNES days, back when I had to play every RPG/ARPG released, but I can't recall too much about it as a stand-out title.

Psxphile

Crystalis a.k.a. God Slayer was kinda like an Ys game but with an actual sword button, right? I can't be the only one who thinks that? Unlike say, Zelda or a myriad of other overhead action-adventure games, the gameplay is much faster paced. I have fond memories of slashing at enemies vigorously, sometimes against the nearest wall to speed up the process.

tumblr_nn3yb2AGZY1sorarco1_540.gif

Or, you know, just abuse your magic swords.

NightWolve

Neo Member
I'd recommend Crystalis, that one sticks out, that's if you're still able to play 8-bit NES games and are not too spoiled by modern systems. Myself, I need a bit more eye candy at a 16-bit level or above when it comes to going retro, heh. And besides, I had beaten at least ~170 titles in the NES library, all the prominent A/RPGs included, so I'd rather knock something newer off my backlog.

Ogawa-san

I had to buy something during that last Steam sale, so why not the last couple Ys on my backlog?

WdS6Rbi.png

Now off to stare at Celceta on PSN waiting for a sale that never happens.

Origin still the best. And screw Solomon Shrine.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ys Origins on PS4 and Vita this February

That's unexpected. Good stuff though, the more people that get to play it the better.

Wonder if this means there are some other potential ports from Falcom.

Edit: Oh. Nevermind, hopefully this is a one off and the port isn't ruined for PS4 and Vita players :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
According to omgfloofy, looks like Ys 8 PS4 is hitting May 25th in Japan. Apparently it will have new content, despite Falcom previously saying it wouldn't.

Curious how XSEED will handle that, I doubt Falcom will back-port that content to Vita so they are stuck going PS4 exclusive, or releasing a gimped Vita version. Backlash is inevitable either way.

Psxphile

vindicated

Ah, who am I kidding. We all saw it coming. Still waiting to hear the real news about Dogi getting his just due, though. I'm seeing stuff like cut content restored so hopefully someone can jot down the PS4 additions in detail.

It would have made sense to say nothing at all if that was the concern. Now if it does have extra content people would be upset because they lied.

And the PS4 version was probably for the western audience anyway which is why they weren't bothered to delay it.

Unlike Tokyo Xanadu, Ys VIII already feels like a complete package that leaves nothing to be desired. I can't think up something they could add that would genuinely enrich the experience.

Edit
Now I have finished Persona 5, I'll say it again: Ys VIII is my GOTY.

Yall should of listened to me :p and I thought I was the new guy in the falcon fanclub

According to omgfloofy, looks like Ys 8 PS4 is hitting May 25th in Japan. Apparently it will have new content, despite Falcom previously saying it wouldn't.

Curious how XSEED will handle that, I doubt Falcom will back-port that content to Vita so they are stuck going PS4 exclusive, or releasing a gimped Vita version. Backlash is inevitable either way.

Considering we're currently ONLY getting the gimped vita version of tx who knows.

omgfloofy

Banned

Kondo also waffled on that a couple of months ago in a Dengeki or Famitsu article (I can't remember which), where he said that a bunch of events related to Dana had to be pulled and that they were talking about adding them back into the game.

By this point, it shouldn't have been a surprise, since he had already talked about it...

Considering we're currently ONLY getting the gimped vita version of tx who knows.

I have been saying for awhile now that this is probably why we don't have an Ys VIII announcement yet.

Kondo also waffled on that a couple of months ago in a Dengeki or Famitsu article (I can't remember which), where he said that a bunch of events related to Dana had to be pulled and that they were talking about adding them back into the game.

By this point, it shouldn't have been a surprise, since he had already talked about it...

I have been saying for awhile now that this is probably why we don't have an Ys VIII announcement yet.

A shame Xseed couldn't get Tokyo Xanadu :/

Fuck you aksys games

omgfloofy

Banned
A shame Xseed couldn't get Tokyo Xanadu :/

Fuck you aksys games

No one really knew that Tokyo Xanadu eX+ was coming. Falcom isn't going to blab their future endeavors to everyone until they're ready to do it, and when contracting for a license happens, this was most likely completed two-three months before Aksys even said a peep about their localization.

You can't really blame Aksys there, either...

No one really knew that Tokyo Xanadu eX+ was coming. Falcom isn't going to blab their future endeavors to everyone until they're ready to do it, and when contracting for a license happens, this was most likely completed two-three months before Aksys even said a peep about their localization.

No but I can blame them for other decisions like not dubbing the new blazblue.

I understand how licenses work, just let me be irrationally salty >:[

This is honestly one of the dumbest things ever that I don't understand why it's a thing with some companies. You're contracting out one version of a game that you have plans of making a new version of as well, why the fuck wouldn't you tell the other company about that newer version? Wouldn't you want that new version to be part of the contract as well?

I mean it's not like Aksys or Xseed would go around talking about a version of a game that Falcom hasn't even announced yet, when I would hope they value their partnership enough to not go leaking things like that when they're under an nda.

omgfloofy

Banned
This is honestly one of the dumbest things ever that I don't understand why it's a thing with some companies. You're contracting out one version of a game that you have plans of making a new version of as well, why the fuck wouldn't you tell the other company about that newer version? Wouldn't you want that new version to be part of the contract as well?

I mean it's not like Aksys or Xseed would go around talking about a version of a game that Falcom hasn't even announced yet, when I would hope they value their partnership enough to not go leaking things like that when they're under an nda.

You would think that, but this is a company that's been notoriously secretive over everything they do. Even when Tom asked them, after Felghana's release, about a lore issue in the game, they still played coy about it.

They may adjust to it a lot more in the future, but considering that I'm 100% convinced that Tokyo Xanadu eX+ was more meant as a message to their shareholders than to their consumers...

That, and Aksys isn't, as far as I know, part of a full partnership like XSEED is. And as far as I heard, XSEED might have even declined working on Tokyo Xanadu. We don't know enough information on the business end of this to make these statements and get too angry over it.

It is what it is, and it's unfortunate to have played out the way it did. But we're in a position where we can't really fully understand everything without putting in assumptions on it, since neither Falcom nor Aksys are talking about the business side of what went down. (And I don't expect them too- that's considered bad form.)

Top Bottom