• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

The "spiritual mother" concept's interesting, basically a hearth of Emelas allowing the winged ones to pass down White Emelas traits genetically a la test tube babies/sequencing. Makes you wonder if there's still a blueprint for producing such a device.

After this and other translations, I'd really love for Endless History to translate and publish the Ys V pre-production drafts, since there's a lot of juicy stuff there which didn't make it into the game.

Tizoc

OK so here's how I go about finishing Ys 1 as quickly as possible

1- GTFO out of the portside village and go grab the Vase
2- Sell Vase and Buy Ring after haggling Pim
3- Talk to Sarah, then go and get money for the Ring you bought
4- Buy Tier 2 Sword, Tier 1 Shield and Tier 1 Armor
5- Get to Zepik, talk to grandma and the chief
6- Grind til Lvl. 5 or until earning 5K Gold
7- Buy Tier 3 Armor
8- Get Ruby and defeat first boss
9- Grab the items in B1 and B2 of the Shrine, and save Feena
10- Go grab Talwar from Slaff and save Genma
11- Go back to Shrine and defeat boss

That's the first 11 steps for now.

omgfloofy

Banned
So what was that one sentence you couldn't quite make sense out of? Was it important?

It was on the nature of the Black Pearl. It was a really tricky sentence and I needed more help on it. (so many thanks to Yotaka and Guan on that part!)

This is an extremely efficient magic amplifier made through a complex entanglement of black emelas fibers. It feels warm to the touch like something alive and possesses a human-style consciousness, including the potential to become confused or afraid. As it requires white emelas for perfect control, a human attempting to control the Black Pearl would end in catastrophe.

The bolded part was what was omitted and later added in.

There are a ton of concepts in that timeline that were really difficult to grasp at points. The whole spiritual mother part was one that made me scratch my head a bit until I was able to get that into English as well.

Another thing I'm running into problems is the second part goes into the differences from Dawn of Ys, and I've actually not played it outside of 1-2 hours at the start. So I'm probably going to be leaning heavily on people who have to get that completed.

Thankfully, the second part is 'blocks of text' rather than definitions and short explanations. That usually ends up being a lot easier to translate. Japanese is such a context heavy language that short thoughts can be harder to wrangle, and they get harder when you're dealing with some really unique concepts and ideas being laid out.

Tizoc

OK can someone elaborate how to trigger Luta Genma appearing in the port town? I couldn't get this to happen until AFTER I defeated Batman.

Psxphile

OK can someone elaborate how to trigger Luta Genma appearing in the port town? I couldn't get this to happen until AFTER I defeated Batman.
Been a while since I've done it, but according to this you have to had talked with the hospital npcs, leave and comeback for the encounter to trigger? Not sure what Vaguillon has to do with it, except maybe the event can't be triggered until after he's beaten and not before.

Tizoc

Been a while since I've done it, but according to this you have to had talked with the hospital npcs, leave and comeback for the encounter to trigger? Not sure what Vaguillon has to do with it, except maybe the event can't be triggered until after he's beaten and not before.

Oh I see. In that case I should be able to trigger this by
1- Talk to his wife
2- Go back to pick up Talwar and trigger this

Thanks mate.

So I started reading some of the discussion in the ys 8 import impressions thread but decided to post them here instead since I don't want to further derail the import thread when I'm waiting for the US release.

I feel like Ys would be better off rebooting the franchise because trying to insert more of a plot and characterization just hasn't worked as well as it could/should. Ys has all these unique lands with unique characters and history but they all feel disconnected due to how none of the games minus ys 1&2 have any connecting or similar locations to build a connected world. Part of the reason the kiseki games work is because the world feels alive and the series is written in a way that innerconnects the events of games in an organic way. The latter timeline ys games it almost feels like a reoccuring gag when characters reference all of adol's previous adventures where he saved the world/one place from an epic disaster. If the Ys games have to become more story focused the "adols goes to new land, something bad starts happening because adol arrived, adol saves the day" formula doesn't work since its a simplistic story designed for 80s/90s action rpgs.

So I started reading some of the discussion in the ys 8 import impressions thread but decided to post them here instead since I don't want to further derail the import thread when I'm waiting for the US release.

I feel like Ys would be better off rebooting the franchise because trying to insert more of a plot and characterization just hasn't worked as well as it could/should. Ys has all these unique lands with unique characters and history but they all feel disconnected due to how none of the games minus ys 1&2 have any connecting or similar locations to build a connected world. Part of the reason the kiseki games work is because the world feels alive and the series is written in a way that innerconnects the events of games in an organic way. The latter timeline ys games it almost feels like a reoccuring gag when characters reference all of adol's previous adventures where he saved the world/one place from an epic disaster. If the Ys games have to become more story focused the "adols goes to new land, something bad starts happening because adol arrived, adol saves the day" formula doesn't work since its a simplistic story designed for 80s/90s action rpgs.

I sorta disagree, I think Ys works very well as an episodic series. There are links between games, especially 4 and 6. But I do agree that they don't need a TON of story, I'm honestly fine with the amount in Oath and Origin myself My biggest request at this point is to ditch the party system for a while. Assuming the 5 remake is next, I don't know if we need a party again.

omgfloofy

Banned
Ys has all these unique lands with unique characters and history but they all feel disconnected due to how none of the games minus ys 1&2 have any connecting or similar locations to build a connected world.

I think you can build a connected without without using areas that refer back to each other. Look at the link I posted earlier regarding the series and the historical timeline that leads up to the events behind everything. I actually see this exact opposite argument all the time in the Kiseki fandom- that people get tired of seeing the same locations for two games in a row. ...but there, it doesn't always make sense to give you new locations when the story is still happening in the same place.

Ys actually has some pretty crazy in-depth lore as its foundation. It's not like Kiseki where it's all there an happening alongside the cast and stuff- most of the events that happened all were centuries before Adol was even born. ...but they're laying the groundwork of the stuff he does later on.

We also have a bit of stuff to look onto. Ys Seven's events are part of what made Adol way more famous. Events leading up to it made Adol famous to certain sets of people. We know that between the ages of 16 and 63, Adol wrote hundreds of journals detailing the things he saw and experienced.

And beyond the lore stuff, the Japanese fanbase reacted poorly to Ys Origin when it came out, because it didn't have Adol in it. It may be hard to convince Falcom to do the same again.

I feel like Ys would be better off rebooting the franchise because trying to insert more of a plot and characterization just hasn't worked as well as it could/should. Ys has all these unique lands with unique characters and history but they all feel disconnected due to how none of the games minus ys 1&2 have any connecting or similar locations to build a connected world.

That's not true though. At least not post Ys 6. Ys 6 established a lore that allowed 1 and 2 to be tied to the rest of the series, and I believe the primary purpose of the remakes is to bring the games prior to that point (3,4 and 5) in line with that lore.

Then there's Origins which only strengthens the ties 1-2 have to 6 and the rest of the series.

And those are the two most beloved entries right there. You can enjoy the games as stand alone experiences, but I think story has been a focus for the series AT LEAST since Falcom saved it with Ys 6.

If the Ys games have to become more story focused the "adols goes to new land, something bad starts happening because adol arrived, adol saves the day" formula doesn't work since its a simplistic story designed for 80s/90s action rpgs.

I think Falcom feels the same. I think Ys Seven was their ultimate realization of that Adol savior story. They had finally created a Ys game within that mold where the indigenous characters he meets also are able to play an active role in the conflict, which I think is something they struggled with throughout the Napishtim entries.

I feel both entries since then have been very different games structurally than the previous entries. With Celceta and the memory narrative shaking up the Adol and Dogi arrive on an island formula, and now Ys 8 with the shipwreck on uninhabited island and the protagonist duality with Dana.

That said this perspective seems to be in conflict with the desire to return to solo Adol. If you dislike the typical Ys narrative, why would you want to return to when he's the only one in the world with any real agency in the conflict?

Thats the thing, even in ys7/celceta he still is the character with the only real agency and the other playable characters and npc basically acknowledge this. Origins the only game to not star Adol suffers from "I don't care about any of these characters" syndrome imo because we don't know any of them before the central conflict starts in the game. I don't believe Adol needs a voice but he needs characters who really know him to help inform his actions which is why ys 7's extended plot works a lot better then Celceta's since 7 has Dogi and Gies who've been previously established and haven't just heard of Adol's exploits ala the villains in Celceta/5/naphatism but actively been involved with them. 7 still doesn't work overall because the foundation of the series is not to tell a gripping fantasy rpg story its just a framework to hang Adol's action adventure rpg on. A reboot of the franchise would allow Adol's adventures from the start to have a focus on characters and story out the gate since he'd have reocurring major allies from the first game, you'd also be able to tell the story in a more chronological order showing how this world is innerconnected as he goes from place to place in each game potentially setting up elements/mysteries in one game that Adol and co go to explore in the next.

Basically I want all the games to have ys 1 -> ys 2 style plot connection but with a stable of main characters (dogi and geis as an example) along with the occasional new character per land who stays behind to help rebuild or further look into info there to help adol down the road.

Disagreed about Ys Origin. You're definitely thrown into action from the get-go, but what you learn about Yunica, Hugo, and Toal along the course of their stories provides both interlocking lore and interesting personal conflicts, along with dialogue that fleshes those characters' personalities out in ways Adol's never received. Episodes like Hugo and Epona's relationship are still rare in the series in terms of nuance...not sure I can deem Origin's story as worthless as you say given it works even w/o knowledge of Ys I & II. As for agency, Adol's lucked into success many times before, since he seems both a common "chosen one" across the developing world and someone who can take advantage of openings in villains' plans, no matter how small. Seven even hints at how Geis might have been the Dragon Warrior if not for the events in Ys VI and right after. Adol isn't necessarily supreme, and his retainers are competent enough. FWIW Ys VIII looks to have a setting, cast, and twists more interesting than Celceta's; it's not like you have to give Adol a Lupin gang to make his journeys and renown meaningful.

I think part of what you desire will happen over time. Geis and Dogi have reasons to get their own games if Falcom feels up to it, let alone Elena or someone less expected like Raud. You'd have an easier time arguing for the return of mid-2000s Ys in some form than asking Falcom to reboot a series they've been developing—sometimes haphazardly, sometimes carefully—for ~30 years now. Re: wonky chronological order, that's a shame, but Falcom's soon going to get around that unless they keep filling in the years between Seven and Felghana (not sure if that would piss off the Japanese fans or not).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine they want to keep Adol as young as possible since that is more appealing to the Japanese audience. He might have had 100 journeys but 90 of them probably took place before he was 25 :p

At a certain point that wouldn't make sense for the lore. I can see him adventuring less starting from his mid-30s, but he seems like he'd be spry up through the rest of his prime. Falcom can always make him cute and youthful until he gets really old for this line of work.

Psxphile

He's pre-destined to finally pass at 60+ years but they never said it would be from old age, did they? If they need to, they'll just have him find a 'fountain of youth' type artifact to keep him looking young. If the Eldeen can pull it off...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Basically I want all the games to have ys 1 -> ys 2 style plot connection but with a stable of main characters (dogi and geis as an example) along with the occasional new character per land who stays behind to help rebuild or further look into info there to help adol down the road.

It already does this for the most part, all the games are very connected in one way or another.

jb1234

I just don't find Ys stories and their characters interesting. They're loaded with the worst of anime tropes. Falcom's recent insistence on padding the series with more and more dialog has been disappointing to me.

(I did like Celceta's story more than Ys VIIs but I wouldn't call either of them gripping.)

The more weight of a game's worth you shift onto narrative/character development/dialogue/motivations/etc, the more strain those things are under.

An Ys 1/2 or Felghana doesn't have much, and thinness and roteness doesn't rankle so much as they're excuse plots for Adol to fuck shit up.

Later ones have much MUCH more of those so the quality of those facets must be much better to match the smaller percentage of red-haired red-ass beatdowns that makes up the game. Therefore, bland tapioca stock anime dialogue, character development, plot, and motivations would not be a betterment, but risking a weakening (especially if the combat be slippin'.)

And that's why I say "Is the narrative Trails-quality?".

Thats the thing, even in ys7/celceta he still is the character with the only real agency and the other playable characters and npc basically acknowledge this.

He's the "savior" yes, but the other characters definitely have more active roles. Like for the first time Dogi is able to join Adol in the adventure, which is HUGE imo as a fan. Especially after Felghana basically wrote him out of what was framed to be his story.

And then you have characters like Aisha, the typical princess character in the series, whom actually take sit upon herself to go see the problems of her country with her own eyes. This is also a progression from Napishtim, where both Olha and Geis are established as capable combatants in the games opening hours, but because of the structure of the game are prevented from making any successful action outside of supporting Adol. The party system allowed Seven's Olha character to go get her mirror herself, instead of having Adol bring it back to her.

They characters all choose to assist Adol and save their country themselves rather than completely relying on an outsider. I liked the party system enabling that within the narratives.

7 still doesn't work overall because the foundation of the series is not to tell a gripping fantasy rpg story its just a framework to hang Adol's action adventure rpg on.

I don't know. I don't think the games are trying to tell a "gripping fantasy epic". Just a simple, light and fun little RPG story with a few twists.

and for me at least I think they succeed. but I play these games looking for things I like in the stories, rather than things I dislike. It seems like a lot of people dislike the modern Ys games because of what they aren't, rather than because of what they are.

A reboot of the franchise would allow Adol's adventures from the start to have a focus on characters and story out the gate since he'd have reocurring major allies from the first game, you'd also be able to tell the story in a more chronological order showing how this world is innerconnected as he goes from place to place in each game potentially setting up elements/mysteries in one game that Adol and co go to explore in the next.

I don't think anyone wants that though. lol

A lot of fans are pretty invested in the lore. Including Falcom. I think the less explicit connections make the series way more interesting to follow than a more traditional, linear timeline progression.

I imagine they want to keep Adol as young as possible since that is more appealing to the Japanese audience. He might have had 100 journeys but 90 of them probably took place before he was 25 :p

Definitely. I figured the japanese audience is the main reason for the Dogi redesign. I figured he was written out of Celceta because he was unpopular with their new audience.

but I don't think there's really alot to worry about. In Ys has been around for more than 25 years and of Adol's 100 journals we've gotten.....8. Lol. There's no pressure for them to ever get close to his older days.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know. I don't think the games are trying to tell a "gripping fantasy epic". Just a simple, light and fun little RPG story with a few twists.

This would be fine if the games weren't so needlessly wordy. They either need to go back to less text-heavy games or write a "gripping epic fantasy." Having a drawn out narrative with mediocre at best writing is not the way to go.

Yesterday and today Falcom posted good-morning tweets featuring Yunica and Hugo. If the next one features Toal, then I suspect Falcom's hinting at something related to Ys Origin for its Japanese fans. Best case, they're going to bring the game to either Sony platform.

Right now we should continue buying XSEED's localization of their Windows games (and not dismissing games like Ark of Napishtim). Xanadu Next is on the horizon, a perfect example of the kind of Falcom action adventure they don't make anymore presumably because of market pressure in Japan/China. Zwei!! (II), Dinosaur Resurrection, and maybe Sorcerian Original will soon be on the docket if things go well. I'd love most of all for XSEED to convince Falcom to publish something like the magazine survey they conducted years back that led to games like Brandish: The Dark Revenant and Zwei!! II, but I actually don't know how it worked.

Still not sure how all Ys games suddenly have the worst anime tropes, but it's gotten wordier recently in ways that don't make much sense. At best, Falcom weighed the positives of their PSP market knowing what to do and how to do at every single point in the game (explaining the abundance of instructions/repeat dialogue) vs. a terse, nuanced story like Ys Origin's (which didn't sell to expectations, much like Brandish VT vs. previous Brandish games). At worst, the new writers, not Kondo and Takeiri, read/watch too many dull LNs/TV drama and movies and can't get out of their comfort zone. I think the reality's somewhere in the middle here and is frustrating either way, so the best course of action is to communicate with Falcom better. They need to refocus on multiple smaller titles designed for specific demographics rather than blockbusters with everything thrown in but placed at different intervals.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm all for supporting xseed, but if I don't like a game and it has glaring flaws I'm not just going to blindly throw money at them for support reasons.

I'll dump on ark all day every day and it's not xseeds fault. They did some nice little changes to the game but that's not the stuff that I had issues with.

You should never be in the mindset of oh let me buy something I don't like because I like you!

Fuck that, I bought 4 copies of oath, origin, chronicles and gifted that instead.

You should never be in the mindset of oh let me buy something I don't like because I like you!
I agree. Gift it if you don't want it, or simply recommend it to someone who's likely to be interested and can/will overlook perceived flaws. I'm going to shill Xananext but I don't mean to step on anyone's toes. Ys VI on Steam selling poorly isn't your fault either, the game's hard to recommend to anyone who wants the best of the series or has already played the best.

Tizoc

Eh after Celceta for the Vita, I'll wait for the PC and PS4 release before buying the new Ys games.

Until then GIVE ME MY GODDAMN XANADU NEXT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm all for supporting xseed, but if I don't like a game and it has glaring flaws I'm not just going to blindly throw money at them for support reasons.

I'll dump on ark all day every day and it's not xseeds fault. They did some nice little changes to the game but that's not the stuff that I had issues with.

Fuck that, I bought 4 copies of oath, origin, chronicles and gifted that instead.

I think buying multiple copies to demonstrate interest is generally a bad idea anyways, because even assuming such an effort was successful, it would still be misleading to the publisher.

because any game that requires a core set of users to buy multiple copies in order for it to be economically viable, probably isn't economically viable.

Xseed and its employees are really active and accessible on social media. The best way to demonstrate interest in these games is probably to just tell them about it.

Voliko

Probably been asked more than once but does Ys Celceta work on PSTV? Google yields a bunch of conflicted and/or outdated info. Thinking of buying one to finally play it. But then I would have to open my anniversary edition ;_;

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Probably been asked more than once but does Ys Celceta work on PSTV? Google yields a bunch of conflicted and/or outdated info. Thinking of buying one to finally play it. But then I would have to open my anniversary edition ;_;

Yes. The English release didn't receive the patch the Japanese version got, but it was added to the whitelist seemingly at random.

There are a few points you will need to emulate the touchscreen, but for the most part it works fine.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think buying multiple copies to demonstrate interest is generally a bad idea anyways, because even assuming such an effort was successful, it would still be misleading to the publisher.

because any game that requires a core set of users to buy multiple copies in order for it to be economically viable, probably isn't economically viable.

Xseed and its employees are really active and accessible on social media. The best way to demonstrate interest in these games is probably to just tell them about it.

Well I mean they all became fans and bought 7 and cel after so it worked out ;)

I'm just saying I rather support the good games than support the duds

Psxphile

Hey, guys! As a heads up, this week, I released the second half of that timeline here: http://www.esterior.net/2016/08/tra...ivilization-and-related-events-part-2-errata/

I actually read it this morning. Even though the Celceta stuff was retconned to heck by the recent remake, I found it surprising that Falcom actually attempted to canonize (or, at least explain) Dawn of Ys. Especially since word in the fandom was that Falcom championed the Tonkin House port of Ys IV over the Hudson Soft one.

omgfloofy

Banned
I actually read it this morning. Even though the Celceta stuff was retconned to heck by the recent remake, I found it surprising that Falcom actually attempted to canonize (or, at least explain) Dawn of Ys. Especially since word in the fandom was that Falcom championed the Tonkin House port of Ys IV over the Hudson Soft one.

They just brought it up as a potential other timeline. I think the reason Falcom canonized the Tokinhouse game is because it followed the original scenario better than Dawn of Ys did.

ggx2ac

Hello everyone.

I wanted to mention how I got into the Ys series. It was probably around the end of 2012 when I made a Steam account during the Christmas sale that I saw Ys I & II in a flash sale. I heard people mention this game a couple of times during that flash sale and it sounded familiar as though I heard it long ago.

Since I was new to Steam I remembered I could just look at the trailer, so I'm watching the Steam trailer for Ys I and as I am looking at the gameplay, something was starting to seem familiar. It was when Adol was fighting that Giant Mantis boss that I decided to check who were the staff that made the game.

As soon as I found out that most of the original staff on the game were the same people that formed Quintet I was overwhelmed. It was amazing that I could find another game to play from these developers that made Illusion of Time (Gaia) which I played as a kid.
It still sucks what's happened to Quintet.

Anyway, I've only played the Ys games on Steam, I've finished Ys I, II, III, VI and Origins. I love the music in these games and, it was great to play another ARPG.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I'm LTTP to Memories of Celceta, but it's really cool. Almost at the end now.

That monster in the secret are north of the map is some serious bullshit though. I hate how it can just constantly juggle/stunlock you to death and there's nothing you can do. -_-

I feel like Celceta refined and improved Seven's combat in every way. I really like Flash Move and Skill Finish in particular. Skills in general were better thought out with both ranks and SP costs. I also liked the expanded crafting too. It's more complex than in previous Ys games, but still simplistic enough to not get in the way.

I think it falls short of Seven, and pretty much every other Ys game in all aspects but that though. Celceta is the one Ys game where I vastly prefer the field exploration and combat to the actual bosses.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looking back, I remember almost nothing from Celceta. The whole game was so forgettable. The only two things I really remember much at all are fighting Gadis (because it's the only boss I died against) and falling through the floor in one of the dungeons which was an instant game over, but I don't remember which dungeon it was.

Oh, and Karna was OP.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I haven't played VII, but Celceta did field exploration right. It's really fun to advance through that big map, without ever being bogged down by the boring kind of open-world AAA western game crap.

Is Ys VII compatible with the PS TV too? Is there a physical Vita version? Seems like it was just on the PSP. Might have to get it digitally one day...

And yeah I like the perfect dodge mechanic too. I almost never blocked because of it haha. I might need to start doing that to beat that optional monster though... but I'm not sure if I'll bother. Sounds like I'd need to stack like 99 bitter potions and just spam them every time he juggles me, that's not fun.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Looking back, I remember almost nothing from Celceta. The whole game was so forgettable. The only two things I really remember much at all are fighting Gadis (because it's the only boss I died against) and falling through the floor in one of the dungeons which was an instant game over, but I don't remember which dungeon it was.

Oh, and Karna was OP.

Damn you beat the game on nightmare first time only dying to one boss?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Damn you beat the game on nightmare first time only dying to one boss?

Normal people don't play on Nightmare on their first playthrough :p But after Origin, fuck nightmare. But maybe that game's nightmare mode is just an unbalanced mess and others are better, it's the only one I've tried. Being able to progress just fine but bosses kill you in 3 hits and take forever to kill is some bullshit.

But normal in Celceta was piss easy even without using healing items (or flash guarding, for that matter). Definitely playing Ys8 on hard even if impressions indicate that "normal is kind of hard!" I remember reading some clowns talking about Celceta's difficulty being close to Felghana and figured normal would be a good option. Never again.

Top Bottom