• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Celceta is one of the weaker Ys games for sure, I don't care about nightmare difficulty game is balanced just fine on Hard and Celceta on that difficulty was a joke. Dodge at almost anytime for instant bullet time spam skills dodge repeat zzzz

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Normal people don't play on Nightmare on their first playthrough :p But after Origin, fuck nightmare. But maybe that game's nightmare mode is just an unbalanced mess and others are better, it's the only one I've tried. Being able to progress just fine but bosses kill you in 3 hits and take forever to kill is some bullshit.

But normal in Celceta was piss easy even without using healing items (or flash guarding, for that matter). Definitely playing Ys8 on hard even if impressions indicate that "normal is kind of hard!" I remember reading some clowns talking about Celceta's difficulty being close to Felghana and figured normal would be a good option. Never again.

That's every game on nightmare, if a boss is nearing 5 mins to kill you are undergeared/leveled typically. Personally I love the whole 2-3 hits you die thing makes things intense.

Oath on normal is a snooze fest
chester 2.0 is a good example

normal

nightmare from my first time playing
^ same length as that normal time

Personally I've only played the series on nightmare so seeing the other modes always looked really dialed back and simple

edit: Yunica sucks compared to hugo and toal though, if that was your first nightmare then sorry lol, also Origin is the hardest game in the series on nightmare :p
Celceta is one of the weaker Ys games for sure, I don't care about nightmare difficulty game is balanced just fine on Hard and Celceta on that difficulty was a joke. Dodge at almost anytime for instant bullet time spam skills dodge repeat zzzz
That's not how it works, it's pretty much the same window time as a parry, you have to almost get hit. Different boss attacks need to be dodged or parried to get the max damage off in that moment

Unless the timing window gets insanely strict in Nightmare on hard it felt like at almost infinite amount of time when an enemy even began to do an attack animation to hitting the dodge button to get the speed boost. Even if I went back to replay the Ys games on Nightmare I doubt I'd ever replay Celceta I'd probably replay Ys 5 first and that games fundamentally broken.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You got hit 4 times and still had half your HP, if that's supposed to be comparable it tells me the game expected me to grind. Nah, fuck that.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You got hit 4 times and still had half your HP, if that's supposed to be comparable it tells me the game expected me to grind. Nah, fuck that.

Im one level above the other video, a level I got in less than 10 minutes.
What.... I played it on Normal and got very few bosses on first try. Even had to grind 1 level for one particular boss 'cause I was dying way too fast, I never grind otherwise though. But snoozefest? Come on.

Like I said my first experience with all the games is nightmare and they felt perfect, by default I'm gonna see the other modes as boring. I died A LOT at least 15 hours of my steam playtime was boss deaths, I raid in mmo's so I got a similar feeling of accomplishment from the games

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Im one level above the other video, a level I got in less than 10 minutes.

I mean compared to my experience in Origin. I was literally dying in 3 hits to bosses while not having any trouble with the normal enemies. If grinding 2-3 levels for every boss is the norm, that's not fun.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I mean compared to my experience in Origin. I was literally dying in 3 hits to bosses while not having any trouble with the normal enemies. If grinding 2-3 levels for every boss is the norm, that's not fun.

Nightmare Origin is the hardest game in the series, also yunica sucked which made things harder

Game was balanced around Toal

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Eh. I am used to Souls games (even did an SL1 run in Dark Souls) so I'm not one that typically picks babby difficulty or anything, but Oath was my first Ys game and I played on Normal and it felt challenging enough to me. Most normal enemies were never a threat (with a few exceptions) but almost every boss killed me at least once, some 10+ times (usually with super close fights though, the number of "noooooooooooooooooooooo I HAD YOU" moments were rather common :p). I don't know if I was underlevelled each time or not, though. One boss in particular kept wrecking me so bad and I wasn't even getting the "so close" moments, so I sucked it up, grinded 1 level, and then came back and pwned her. o_O It's crazy how a single level makes a difference between "ridiculously hard" and "hardly threatening", sometimes.

That said, other games after that felt much easier and I kind of regret not picking them on Hard, at least. Maybe Origin is harder on Nightmare, but on Normal, Oath seems like the hardest one so far*. Like, in Celceta none of the bosses have killed me, though some of the monster extermination side-quests have rekt me several times. If I ever replay some of those games I'll pick Hard, or I might even pick Nightmare, but not in Oath, no way. xD

* I have played, in that order: Oath in Felghana, I & II Chronicles, Ark of Napishtim, Origin, and NP Celceta

Unless the timing window gets insanely strict in Nightmare on hard it felt like at almost infinite amount of time when an enemy even began to do an attack animation to hitting the dodge button to get the speed boost. Even if I went back to replay the Ys games on Nightmare I doubt I'd ever replay Celceta I'd probably replay Ys 5 first and that games fundamentally broken.

Celceta is pretty challenging on Nightmare. You can trivialize it with gear and especially new game plus, but on a fresh Nightmare run you might even die to some mobs if you aren't careful.

You're not completely wrong about Flash Move. I think the bosses are designed around it, so a lot of them don't have that period of vulnerability where you're supposed to hit them like in previous games(outside of stuns which you have to earn). But it's definitely not as effortless as you're making it out to be.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Eh. I am used to Souls games (even did an SL1 run in Dark Souls) so I'm not one that typically picks babby difficulty or anything, but Oath was my first Ys game and I played on Normal and it felt challenging enough to me. Most normal enemies were never a threat (with a few exceptions) but almost every boss killed me at least once, some 10+ times (usually with super close fights though, the number of "noooooooooooooooooooooo I HAD YOU" moments were rather common :p). I don't know if I was underlevelled each time or not, though. One boss in particular kept wrecking me so bad and I wasn't even getting the "so close" moments, so I sucked it up, grinded 1 level, and then came back and pwned her. o_O It's crazy how a single level makes a difference between "ridiculously hard" and "hardly threatening", sometimes.

That said, other games after that felt much easier and I kind of regret not picking them on Hard, at least. Maybe Origin is harder on Nightmare, but on Normal, Oath seems like the hardest one so far*. Like, in Celceta none of the bosses have killed me, though some of the monster extermination side-quests have rekt me several times. If I ever replay some of those games I'll pick Hard, or I might even pick Nightmare, but not in Oath, no way. xD

* I have played, in that order: Oath in Felghana, I & II Chronicles, Ark of Napishtim, Origin, and NP Celceta

Nothing wrong with this, just calling out when people say one of the games isn't hard and complain about it being too easy. Every Ys game is hard as hell on nightmare. The games become about playing as perfect as possible not unlike that SL1 run you did. The main dif in Ys is that boss patterns change, new moves, and get sped up, as well as the fights normally taking 1-2 mins longer

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, playing on a harder difficulty probably wouldn't have made Celceta any more memorable to me. I couldn't even remember the characters without looking.

That's too bad. I personally like parts of the story and how it connects to the other games, and I like how it remixes elements of the previous versions of Ys 4

I just didn't like some of the forced tutorial sections that you have to repeat even on NG+. Like having to talk to EVERYONE in Ozma's village to progress. There's a few tedious bits of interactive storytelling that probably don't have much of a place in Ys.

I didn't understand the Kiseki comparisons in Ys 7, but I could see them in Celceta.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just didn't like some of the forced tutorial sections that you have to repeat even on NG+. Like having to talk to EVERYONE in Ozma's village to progress. There's a few tedious bits of interactive storytelling that probably don't have much of a place in Ys.
Oh yeah, that's gotta be real shitty in NG+ or replays. I have to admit, if I do replay it on Nightmare, it won't be immediately.

Also what is with From and unskippable cut scenes, dammit? Even the long-ass animations of activating a switch, every single time the game stops and I have to watch, or in Trails when a character is leaving, you have to watch the character walk away slowly while the rest of the cast looks at them before dialogue resumes and/or you regain control of your character. Things like that are minor, but they add up in being really annoying and it seems like it'd be easy to fix.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well I just beat Celceta (and yes, took out that Lord of the Jungle asshole too >_< took me like 40 bitter potions, I'm ashamed to say -- I'd block and dodge a lot but one misstep and you're juggled into infinity, I hate that). Fun little game, probably not quite as good as Oath/Origin but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I was a little iffy about the party system at first, but it worked well enough. My favourites were Duren, Karna and Frielda. I almost never used Ozma or Calilica for some reason.

I fear Normal was indeed too easy overall, other than that jungle monster and a few monster exterminations, I rarely felt in danger, and that's despite almost never using potions outside of that one jungle monster. My fault, I should have picked Hard, but Ys' reputation kind of scared me... :p

How does Ys VII compare? I know it came out earlier despite being chronologically after (Celceta is a remake of Ys IV, I think? or of one of them... >_<), and I know Celceta improved the combat, but if I enjoyed Celceta I should like VII too right? It seems PS TV compatible according to the PSN store, at least, so I might pick it up some time. Is it ever on sale? I figure I should play it before Ys VIII but well if it sucks I won't bother, not like the story is very important. :p

Oh yeah, that feeling when you have like, 99.1% of the chests and 99.3% of the harvest points... :( I have 100% of the map but I missed a chest or harvest point? Grrrr

jb1234

I fear Normal was indeed too easy overall, other than that jungle monster and a few monster exterminations, I rarely felt in danger, and that's despite almost never using potions outside of that one jungle monster. My fault, I should have picked Hard, but Ys' reputation kind of scared me... :p

How does Ys VII compare? I know it came out earlier despite being chronologically after (Celceta is a remake of Ys IV, I think? or of one of them... >_<), and I know Celceta improved the combat, but if I enjoyed Celceta I should like VII too right? It seems PS TV compatible according to the PSN store, at least, so I might pick it up some time. Is it ever on sale? I figure I should play it before Ys VIII but well if it sucks I won't bother, not like the story is very important. :p

Oh yeah, that feeling when you have like, 99.1% of the chests and 99.3% of the harvest points... :( I have 100% of the map but I missed a chest or harvest point? Grrrr

Celceta on Normal is a joke. I only picked it because I didn't really enjoy VII on Hard, especially the end, where I had to grind like crazy to beat the final boss.

(As far as the Normals go, Oath's is by far the hardest, followed by Origin.)

If you liked Celceta, you'll like VII. They're very similar in combat. If you didn't like all the verbose exposition and boring party members, that's worse in VII so be prepared for it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Celceta on Normal is a joke.
Yeah, wish I had known that before choosing. :(

Would you recommend Ys VII on Normal, then? I don't want to have to "grind like crazy" for the last boss, but if the rest of the game is otherwise a joke that'll be boring too...

(As far as the Normals go, Oath's is by far the hardest, followed by Origin.)

If you liked Celceta, you'll like VII. They're very similar in combat. If you didn't like all the verbose exposition and boring party members, that's worse in VII so be prepared for it.
That does kind of suck. And I hear Ys VIII is even worse? So why would they regress like that? :\

jb1234

Yeah, wish I had known that before choosing. :(

Would you recommend Ys VII on Normal, then? I don't want to have to "grind like crazy" for the last boss, but if the rest of the game is otherwise a joke that'll be boring too...

I can't imagine Ys VII on Normal being much different than Celceta was. What it did on Hard was make the bosses really obnoxious HP sponges that took forever to kill. They become battles of attrition more than ones of actual strategy and I didn't care for that. The regular enemies weren't difficult at all, for the most part.

That does kind of suck. And I hear Ys VIII is even worse? So why would they regress like that? :\

I'm not thrilled about it and deeply worried about having to sit through cookie-cutter characterizations and plots again in VIII. But that's what Falcom seems to want these days in this series. I seriously can't remember a single memorable character from either VII or Celceta, even though they all talked up a storm.

Seven is my favorite Ys Game.

I like the story, setting and characters better, I like the bosses better and I think it has the best dungeon design in the entire series.

I also think it strikes a good middle ground between the crafting/refining systems in Oath, where it's overly simplistic and mandatory to some degree, and Celceta, where it's optional but incredibly overwrought.

I think Celceta refines the party system and the combat, but that's about it. Despite that Seven still just feels better to play to me. The tracking on neutral attacks just feels more accurate to me.

As for difficulty, the level cap is MUCH higher in Seven,(99 vs 60 in Celceta. and Skill ranks cap at 10 vs 3) so you can outscale everything in the game even on Nightmare. It's definitely a case of the difficulty being what you make it. More than any other vanilla version of any previous Ys game.

To put it in perspective, I had one of my characters at level 67 with over 1000 attack damage on Normal. She was able to one hit kill all 3 optional bosses and the final sub boss with her EX attack. lol (Final boss first form took 2)

People say this but I don't really agree with it. Especially the idea that it's worse than Celceta. Outside of the opening there's definitely nothing like forced town tours or talk to everyone in the village, or mandatory memory sequences.

I mean it's not as straightforward and linear as Oath, but I think it's more comparable to that in proportion to the amount of actual game you get than it is to Celceta.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Interesting. Sounds good.

I'm still not sure on what difficulty setting I should pick though... xD I guess I'll try my chances with Hard if I ever get around to it.

jb1234

People say this but I don't really agree with it. Especially the idea that it's worse than Celceta. Outside of the opening there's definitely nothing like forced town tours or talk to everyone in the village, or mandatory memory sequences.

*twitches*

My memories of VII and Celceta mostly blur together but this post reminded me of how much I hated that shit in the latter.

Rhapsody

Banned
That's too bad. I personally like parts of the story and how it connects to the other games, and I like how it remixes elements of the previous versions of Ys 4

Same to pretty much all of this. My issues with Celceta wasn't really the story itself, but the pacing of it especially early on. I really disliked the Adol memory stuff because of things like that. But the way it connected with other Ys games was nice since I do want to see more somewhat-subtle world building.

I finished Ys VIII demo on nightmare, and I really enjoyed it. Natural progression of Celceta, but it fixed the issues I've had with that game. Map areas are way better now since it's not just flat anymore. Running and jumping everywhere again feels great. IMO, the start of the game was a little too long, but the pacing after that was good for me. The wait for the PS4 version is going to be rough. The demo was over 4 hours long for me which got me a good taste of it.

omgfloofy

Banned

What's great with Ys VIII is it basically gives you the freedom to basically skip that stuff when it comes up. When you have event scenes going on, the 'start' button supercedes it all and allows you to skip it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What's great with Ys VIII is it basically gives you the freedom to basically skip that stuff when it comes up. When you have event scenes going on, the 'start' button supercedes it all and allows you to skip it.
About time! Haha. Do later Kiseki games (Cold Steel, Trails 3rd) have this too? It was annoying not being able to skip any cut scene in SC, sometimes I'd reload a save and would have to rewatch a bunch of scenes... -_-

I always feel conflicted on the whole skipping cut scenes thing since even if the story is terrible I want some kind of frame of reference for why I'm doing what I'm doing or where I'm going next. Its weird I know Falcom has fantastic writers get one of them to not make the dialogue in ys so boring.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I always feel conflicted on the whole skipping cut scenes thing since even if the story is terrible I want some kind of frame of reference for why I'm doing what I'm doing or where I'm going next. Its weird I know Falcom has fantastic writers get one of them to not make the dialogue in ys so boring.
I am talking about replays, or reloading saves and whatnot. I never skip scenes the first time either, but the lack of cut scene skipping makes me quite certain I'll never bother with any of the NG+s. :p

That's the best scenario. I'm all for variety in story telling and trying to make it interactive, I just think it sucks for replays. Ys always seemed like the kind of game aimed at speed running and time attack plays, so it sucked to see the modern version of auto scrolling sections end up in the games.

but it seems they're aware of that and address it in YsVIII so that's great

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just want to say I feel ys is probably one of the top 5 if not 3 series in gaming to me. Almost nothing feels as rewarding. I know I can come off as a bit egotistical at times but I highly recommend fans that have beaten the games already to give the games a shot on nightmare. That mode really will push your boundaries and give you a sense of thrill even further past what you have already gotten with the series.

The only other games that have ever given me even a remotely similar feeling are a few bosses in soul games and downing a raid boss for the first time my group was stuck on for weeks.

It's a truly magical feeling and every time you pull through the intense close calls that happen after what feels like a fight that took twenty minutes you find out only lasted 3 but because it was so intense so fast and you became so focused that short intense moment became what felt like an eternal struggle.

There really is almost no feeling like it, yes you will die, horribly so at times. Yes you might feel like it's too hard or you have no chance, but once you see that bosses health down to 10% and you die you just know that you can do this a few less mistakes and I got this.... and 4 Minutes after you hit that retry button the bosses health hit zero. You did it, you are better than the game you are adol the fucking red and nothing can stand up to you.

NightWolve

Neo Member
For more detailed information, screenshots and testimonials on Ys and Adol's many adventures one may also visit Hardcore Gaming 101's excellent coverage of the entirety of the Ys franchise. For the trivia buffs in our audience, that site will be a gold mine.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ys/ys.htm

I agree, that Ys HG101 article is also my goto one for any and all things Ys, it's just so thorough and I've watched it evolve over the years from its early days to what it is now. I don't think anybody else has ever done as good a job as Kurt has to pack so much information and screenshots in one spot to dive right into all the titles past/present, etc. It's possible, but I've never been able to find anything as comparable in all my years as of yet.

Post fanart, your favorite music, your most hated bosses, what you want to see in a future Ys title... anything and everything is on-topic here.

My all time favorite track hails from "Ys III: Wanderers of Ys," Ryo Yonemitsu's "The Boy Who Had Wings" arrangement for the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 CD port:

http://www.ysutopia.net/audio/YsIII-07-The-Boy-Who-Had-Wings.mp3

I can always listen to it, it withstands the test of time and has a way of cheering me up when I'm in a sour mood. After all, I was first exposed to the Ys series with my purchase of a TurboDuo that included the legendary "Ys Book I & II" release, and that's what made me a lifelong fan. The mark of what is "Ys" to me will always be the legendary soundtracks of the PCE/Turbo releases 1-4. That's just how I started out, and nostalgia will always have its sway.

Lately, "Seal of Time" comes in second, but my remaining Ys favorites can vary:

http://www.ysutopia.net/audio/YsIII-17-Seal-of-Time.mp3

On the games themselves, I'd say Felghana remains my favorite there. I didn't get to play Ys Origin and forward, and that's due to several reasons which I won't go into here, but Felghana really is an impressive case of a remake done right in every aspect, it's a masterpiece! Even the soundtrack is very respectable, although it still doesn't live up to what Ryo did for the PCE/TG-16 versions. I prefer to mod the game using Ryo's tracks, but either way is enjoyable.

On bosses, truth is, I've failed to beat Galbalan in every attempt on the hardest unlocked difficulty mode: Inferno... He's my nemesis, but I'll get him one day! Heh. You really need a good console-like USB Gamepad, and maybe someday I'll accomplish it when I find the right one! He's a great challenge, and really tests your reflexes and memory on his patterns, etc. My cheap PS2-like knock-off Gamepad really isn't cut out for that situation, I regret the purchase, but I think I like that SNES30 from http://8bitdo.com/ - I bought one a few days ago for Shovel Knight, and it seems good (is very close to the original SNES version), though I had trouble booting it in keyboard mode which offers the most compatibility with games as opposed to standard USB joystick mode. I returned it to the retailer, though, as I can buy it much cheaper on eBay, but I got to test it out while I was searching for a new video card.

meppi

Finally started playing Celceta this weekend.
Absolutely loving it.

I haven't played many Falcom games in the past. Only dabbled with a couple of them.
Ys on Master System and the Saturn Compilations for instance.

But one thing is driving me crazy.
The melody that plays when you get an item.
It's way too familiar to me to be just from Ys games.
Where does this come from and is it used in other RPGs as well?
I could swear that I've heard it in certain Square games as well, but that doesn't really make any sense, does is?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Finally started playing Celceta this weekend.
Absolutely loving it.

I haven't played many Falcom games in the past. Only dabbled with a couple of them.
Ys on Master System and the Saturn Compilations for instance.

But one thing is driving me crazy.
The melody that plays when you get an item.
It's way too familiar to me to be just from Ys games.
Where does this come from and is it used in other RPGs as well?
I could swear that I've heard it in certain Square games as well, but that doesn't really make any sense, does is?
Metroid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdEFCzMNPa0

I don't know why the Ys item acquistion fanfare is identical to Metroid's, but it is. Heh.

omgfloofy

Banned
They're extremely similar- to the point that I joke about the two, and are in the same key and all, but they don't resolve the same way. So they're not exactly identical.

Psxphile

Don't mind me just posting the BEST Adol design

Perfect combination of Modern (at worst uninspired) JP RPG protag look+classic armor and Paudlrons

Yeah, it looks great AND functional... but I can't help but think he must be hot as fuck underneath all that. Must get pretty cold over there in alternate history Europe.

I'm playing my first Ys, The Oath in Felghana, and liking it a lot. I do have to play windowed (800 x 600) because the character sprites at 1440p look goofy as hell.

I just beat the second boss last night and it was pretty cool. The first one I could not figure out how to dodge one type of the sword throws, but eventually got lucky with RNG.

So are there any other Ys like rpgs out there aside from well... sorta Xak and Lagoon I guess?

If you've not tried the soul blazer trilogy those are highly recommendable.

There is also that new steam game xseed just released that reminds me of the ys oath style of play.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you've not tried the soul blazer trilogy those are highly recommendable.

There is also that new steam game xseed just released that reminds me of the ys oath style of play.

You mean Scarlet Curiosity? That's only on PS4 in English. I'd have probably bought it if it was on PC, but on PS4 I'm content to wait for a sale.

Top Bottom