• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Another question that Kondo answers has the implication that the 2017 financial forecast includes the overseas releases of Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu.

So if it's within their fiscal year then that would mean the game is either already being worked on or will be started on soon. Because I do not believe for a second that the turn around on it could be that fast if Xseed had to wait till the PS4 release was out before even starting on the game in general. Which if that is the case, it means the Vita version is being worked on so the localization will be ready for PS4 as well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's referred to as "Ys Tragedy" for a reason.

And despite a recent comment about it being the most recent game Falcom developed for a Nintendo system, they didn't have anything to do with it except licensing out the IP. IIRC it doesn't even have anything to do with Ys, they basically just used the title and similar character designs.

Rizzi

914D109909D6E8195C39C576C95D0B65064582FD

Fuck you bat!

Wozzer

Started Oath today after having had it sit in my Steam backlog for a few months staring at me. First Ys game, and picked it up from the heavy praise it recieves here on Gaf.

... I'm bad. Real bad. Playing on normal and even the first two bosses proved to be a pain. I've just arrived at Illburn Ruins and even the first two screens of monsters are slaughtering me, with repeated attempts in the double digits so far.

Going to head back to the town to purchase/upgrade gear to see if that helps me out, and if not grind a level out in the mines. I'll endure and hopefully adapt to the gameplay. So far liking what I see though and a huge fan of the Soulsbourne series so have hope.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Started Oath today after having had it sit in my Steam backlog for a few months staring at me. First Ys game, and picked it up from the heavy praise it recieves here on Gaf.

... I'm bad. Real bad. Playing on normal and even the first two bosses proved to be a pain. I've just arrived at Illburn Ruins and even the first two screens of monsters are slaughtering me, with repeated attempts in the double digits so far.

Going to head back to the town to purchase/upgrade gear to see if that helps me out, and if not grind a level out in the mines. I'll endure and hopefully adapt to the gameplay. So far liking what I see though and a huge fan of the Soulsbourne series so have hope.

If you can level up easily, you may be underleveled. Experience scales harshly, if you are underleveled you will gain lots of experience and level up quickly, but getting overleveled will be hard because experience gain slows so much.

Stats also make a huge difference. A single level or equipment upgrade is a very big deal. A small difference like a couple levels or new equipment can be the difference between a boss feeling impossible, and being a cakewalk.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

did you light the torch and get the red gem?

Wozzer

Managed to find my way to the Chester save point with much difficulty, and after a single attempt I felt the need to both grind out a level and revisit the village to purchase/upgrade items where able.

The difference ways huge; breezed back through Illburn Ruins to the Chest save point and beat him first attempt back. Proceeded though the lava zone easy enough (though the area itself could have been a reference for the mess of Lost Izalith of DS), and Guilen was overly trivial.

Gyalva took a few attempts to get the mechanics down and then just beat Istersiva, again after a few attempts to get the mechanics.

Three statues in and really starting to enjoy the game, and understand the praise. Difficulty seems to be ramping down though, and looking forward to see if it'll peak again.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Managed to find my way to the Chester save point with much difficulty, and after a single attempt I felt the need to both grind out a level and revisit the village to purchase/upgrade items where able.

The difference ways huge; breezed back through Illburn Ruins to the Chest save point and beat him first attempt back. Proceeded though the lava zone easy enough (though the area itself could have been a reference for the mess of Lost Izalith of DS), and Guilen was overly trivial.

Gyalva took a few attempts to get the mechanics down and then just beat Istersiva, again after a few attempts to get the mechanics.

Three statues in and really starting to enjoy the game, and understand the praise. Difficulty seems to be ramping down though, and looking forward to see if it'll peak again.
If you are playing on normal it won't ever really, gear upgrades and levels absolutely destroy normal and hard mode difficulty where on nightmare they barely give you a fighting chance :p

Hard you can over level to breeze but if you're at the average/expected level I feel all the ys games have a fairly consistent/good difficulty curve.

Got Oath based on Neogaf's heavy praise. Been really enjoying it, in the castle fighting Death Faleon, he's a pain.

How's Origins compared to this one? Do I need to play the other one's before?. Oath is my first Ys game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got Oath based on Neogaf's heavy praise. Been really enjoying it, in the castle fighting Death Faleon, he's a pain.

How's Origins compared to this one? Do I need to play the other one's before?. Oath is my first Ys game.

1 & 2 before Origin works better than the other way around, but it's not really necessary.

Basically a toss up which is better between Oath and Origin, how important are towns/an overworld to you? If you like those Oath might come out a bit ahead, if it they don't matter much you may like Origin more (I do).

I've only seen maybe one person that liked one but actually disliked the other.

Origin

+ multiple playable characters with varied styles of play
+ Better graphics
+ more challenging game on harder difficulties
+/- story is more involved with lots of characters
- tower is fairly bland to explore and very linear
- can get really repetitive going through identical sections with all 3 characters
- long stretches of dialogue kill the pacing

I'll admit that last con ties into my +/- and my biggest reason for perferring Oath to Origins. For me the best ys games are ones that use the story as a frame work to have a fun little adventure. Origins was the turning point of when the games got really dialogue heavy and the story isn't interesting enough to justify the amount of characters running around with their trope motivations. This was doubly weird for me since I'm a weirdo who usually plays games for their story but ys origins (along with 7 and memories in celceta) all lost me.

Tizoc

Ys Origin will release on PS4 in February apparently.
I can't create threads atm, but we should make a new OT for it.
Ys Origin |OT| Yes, you can start with this one too.

jb1234

Word?

Better than Oath?

I don't anticipate it being better than Oath if only because what I loved about Oath is how it stripped everything down to the bone. VIII sounds like it's massively bloated and it still has that party system I don't much care for.

Gu4n

It's always a matter of preference, obviously. Still, how Ao no Kiseki is generally regarded as the best from that series, I feel Ys VIII does the same for Ys.

Rhapsody

Banned
Still waiting on that PS4 release. The demo on Vita was so good. Quite a lot of content to where it catches you off guard on where it'll end. Hearing that people ended up placing the full game rather high makes me even more excited.

Guru-Guru

Banned
VIII is the best Ys game. No contest.
I disagree (though I am definitely in the minority). It's substantially worse than Celceta, IMO. The main reason being that it is INCREDIBLY bloated--I'd say about 15-20 hours too long. It's full of pointless filler, dialogue, and plot. I'm not sure if I think the writing is straight out terrible, but because there is so much more plot/dialogue than Celceta (which already felt a little too long at times) it stands out more. The most frustrating part for me is that when the game gives you the freedom to explore it really shines, since the combat system (as expected) is excellent. However, at a number of times throughout the story control is taken away from the player for a number of hours as you trudge through "plot." The worst offender of this is when you have to solve (very minor story spoilers) a
incredibly dumb murder mystery

Adding to this, the writers constantly treat the player like a complete idiot and assume that everything goes over your head--but don't worry, characters will regurgitate and state the obvious over and over for you! For example, at one point in the game you see a character in the distance and your party members say "who's that?", "we better follow them!" etc. You, the player, take 10 steps forward, and are met with another obnoxiously slow cutscene of the person in question walking away from you. Your party members once again state "hmm, I think we should follow them!" "is that a monster?" "No, I think that is a man" etc. What happens next? You take another 10 steps or so forward, get an obligatory cutscene of the person walking away, and are met with more stupid dialogue like "Hmm, that's definitely not a monster!" "It looks like a man" "we should keep following him" etc. This repeats 3-4 more times. WHY? I'm not a fucking idiot and can tell that we are following a man. I know this complaint sounds petty but the writers of VIII don't understand that less is more, and constantly have to bombard you and make sure not small little detail goes past you. The frequency of pointless cutscenes is ridiculous. Characters exist just to explain the stupid story.

On a technical level, Lacrimosa of Dana runs worse than Celceta. There is a consistently lower framerate, and there are a ton of loading screens that fragment every zone in the game into small areas.

I haven't even got into the feature creep issues I have with the game. Why are there so many base defense missions? You just face waves of the same enemies you encounter out in the field anyway.

IDK, sorry for the rant, but I was super disappointed with Lacrimosa of Dana. I think that people who had big issues with Celceta will feel the same way--or worse, like me--with Dana.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ That honestly sounds insufferable. :(

For performance you're talking Vita right? I'm guessing it'll run fine on a PS4 at least.

But fuck the story shit. This is Ys not Kiseki. What are they thinking

Even if Ys 8 gameplay beats Ys Oath/Origins it won't matter if the game is bogged down by residentsleeper story like Seven and Celceta. Honestly the plot and needed to replay the same areas 3x times is why Origins doesn't top Oath for me.

Guru-Guru

Banned
^ That honestly sounds insufferable. :(

For performance you're talking Vita right? I'm guessing it'll run fine on a PS4 at least.

But fuck the story shit. This is Ys not Kiseki. What are they thinking
Yes, I'm talking about the Vita version. I'm sure the technical issues (which aren't huge) will be fixed for the PS4 version.

But yeah, since this game is almost twice as long as Celceta you have to be prepared for a ton of cutscenes, unnecessary dialogue, flashbacks, and so on...As I mentioned, the actual gameplay is really damn fun, so if you can not let everything else get on your nerves too much (like it obviously did with me!) you can enjoy it. I just wish the poor pacing (where you get a couple hours of cutscenes/story with restricted movement) and all the damn padding weren't such an issue. :(

Always wanted to give this series ago. Anyone know a good starting point? I'm assuming Origins ain't bad? I got majority of the American consoles Ys games have been playable on and the money to pick up any reasonably priced game.

Always wanted to give this series ago. Anyone know a good starting point? I'm assuming Origins ain't bad? I got majority of the American consoles Ys games have been playable on and the money to pick up any reasonably priced game.

Origin is a good game, but it works better if you've played I & II first. Either starting with the originals or Oath in Felghana (which is Ys III) would be better places to start. The biggest issue with the first two games is that the bump system can be kind of bewildering at first (but once you get really into it, that's not much of an issue anymore). I think Felghana is overall the best place to start.

Try Ys 1, if the gameplay just doesn't do it for you go to Oath In Felghana I think it's a great stand alone experience that'll give you a good feel for what the majority of the series is like.

Tizoc

Decided to replay Ys Origin on Hard in preperation for writing the OT for the Sony system release.
...and now Vagulion is kicking my ass :V I guess I need to be one level higher before I take his ass down.

EDIT: Umm is the Ys 1+2 PSP manual available online? I need its hints on navigating Darm Tower.

Young Magus

Decided to replay Ys Origin on Hard in preperation for writing the OT for the Sony system release.
...and now Vagulion is kicking my ass :V I guess I need to be one level higher before I take his ass down.

EDIT: Umm is the Ys 1+2 PSP manual available online? I need its hints on navigating Darm Tower.

Did it come with the digital download?

Top Bottom