• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Memories of Celceta |OT|: The Ys-iest Purchase You'll Make All Year (Now For EUs)

News from China:

http://www.joyoland.com/article_cat.php?id=7 (It's in Chinese of course)

Soon (midyear, 2014), China will got Memories of Celceta PC version

Yup, you are not reading it wrong, we already have YS Seven PC version in 2012, both YS games were published by local publisher Joyland/Beijing HappyEver Technology (欢乐百世), they are official port from PSP/PSVita, licensed by Falcom.

For anti piracy purpose in China, Memories of Celceta PC version will have always online DRM. Sounds sucks, but this is how gaming growing in Chinese market.

Seriously I always think XSEED should co-op work with Joyland, last year I have heard that Joyland was developing YS Seven PC English version to avoid local market, struggle to survive in western market, don't know why they gave up this plan at last.

I need every Falcom game on Steam ASAP. I hope we get this someday, but it's kinda sad that we still don't have Ys Seven on PC.

Einbroch

Banned
Just got this from Gamefly. I'm liking it quite a bit! Playing on Nightmare because why not, beat the first boss after 20-30 minutes of trying. I accidentally flash guarded once, and that was the turning point.

Good stuff. Wish that mechanic was explained to you BEFORE the boss, though.

nikos

Finished the game today. Loved pretty much everything about it. Sort of wish I got the Silver Anniversary Edition.

I actually wanted to attempt platinuming this, but it seems like there are missable trophies, such as talking to the guy in Casnan who gossips and the girl who tickles you. Are these easy to obtain in NG+, or will I have to play through the entire story again?

Levyne

Banned
Finished the game today. Loved pretty much everything about it. Sort of wish I got the Silver Anniversary Edition.

I actually wanted to attempt platinuming this, but it seems like there are missable trophies, such as talking to the guy in Casnan who gossips and the girl who tickles you. Are these easy to obtain in NG+, or will I have to play through the entire story again?

Well, you need two playthroughs anyways to get all the items, so on your second playthrough you can do nightmare and make sure to talk to the gossip and do the other missables (like completing those 3 trading sidequests properly.)

Shengar

Well, you need two playthroughs anyways to get all the items, so on your second playthrough you can do nightmare and make sure to talk to the gossip and do the other missables (like completing those 3 trading sidequests properly.)

Wait, there are three trading sidequest? :/

Levyne

Banned
Well, there's two where you haggle, and one where you act as the temporary shopkeeper. Those are the three have a trophy tied to them. I guess trading was a bad word.

At least I think that's how it is.

Shengar

Oh, I thought there are three quest where you act as temporary shopkeeper. If that's true, they must be time limited. Good thing I almost finished the game, just need to finish the Gold Colossus.

nikos

Thanks! Might go for it at some point.

Shengar

At last finished my first Ys game. The gameplay is really good and put me into action-craze mood. But I heard the gameplay isn't when compared to other games in the series, that make me want to play another instalment later. While the story is not good, it is not as bad as I though from people impression. I like the half premise of the story where it's about exploration, but things really fall apart quickly in second half of the game. I think Falcom if they want to have story in Ys, make it simple. Just a story about exploration, and adventure. Exploring ruins, beating monster for artifact, meeting foreign people, but no more save the world crap.

kiriin

At last finished my first Ys game. The gameplay is really good and put me into action-craze mood. But I heard the gameplay isn't when compared to other games in the series, that make me want to play another instalment later.

The mainly issue is the difficulty of the game. Due to some of the mechanics (i.e. boss design, party system) it considerably less challenging compare to the other titles. That being said it was still a fun game, I actually like the skill system and the party based.

Shengar

The mainly issue is the difficulty of the game. Due to some of the mechanics (i.e. boss design, party system) it considerably less challenging compare to the other titles. That being said it was still a fun game, I actually like the skill system and the party based.

Not counting reinforce system that make fighting normal grunts totally easy. I could see why people said this game is easier than the other installment. Falcom should put more thought not only on the combat, but the enemy as well, especially grunts.

Also it is just me, or the....how do I put it... that many "hit point" of the bosses attack quite off? That really screw my roll/block timing, combined with awful camera at sometime, you got recipe for disaster.

cj_iwakura

Finally started it up.

For a while I was worried this was fast becoming The Legend of Ys: Adol In The Sky, but it got back to Ys goodness once I hit the forest.

cj_iwakura

Didn't take me long to get lost... Haven't even reached the first flag checkpoint in the Great Forest, but I have like 12% of it mapped out. There's these solid stone things in the way at like three different points.

kiriin

Didn't take me long to get lost... Haven't even reached the first flag checkpoint in the Great Forest, but I have like 12% of it mapped out. There's these solid stone things in the way at like three different points.

Probably reach 18-25% by the time you get to one of the story instance. The earlier part of the gamesforces you to take the long way. From there on it straight forward though.

cj_iwakura

Probably reach 18-25% by the time you get to one of the story instance. The earlier part of the gamesforces you to take the long way. From there on it straight forward though.

I've exhausted every open route, I think. The only ways I haven't explored have barriers. Does it have anything to do with the waterfall cave? It was just an empty clearing.

Levyne

Banned
No, the waterfall cave is for a sidequest later.

Iirc, there should be another place that you can enter and progress through, either a "lost woods" or a hilly path.

kiriin

I've exhausted every open route, I think. The only ways I haven't explored have barriers. Does it have anything to do with the waterfall cave? It was just an empty clearing.

You need to go through the Misty Peaks or the Forrest Labyrinth to reach either the great tree or the river (either order).

kiriin

Couldn't find either one. I've been all over the place.

Have you reach the area where there a big river in the middle of the map (area named stream) which u can't cross? Its south of a warp point stone (wetland). You either go upstream which leads to forest. Or you can go downstream and turn the corner to the northwest to reach the mountain.

Cheddahz

Banned
I finally got back to my playthrough of MoC (
ended up getting lost in the forest and I kinda gave up on it, since exams were coming up
) and wow, I'm really having fun with it now!

cj_iwakura

Have you reach the area where there a big river in the middle of the map (area named stream) which u can't cross? Its south of a warp point stone (wetland). You either go upstream which leads to forest. Or you can go downstream and turn the corner to the northwest to reach the mountain.

I have two yellow warp points and one blue, just north of the camp.

Zafir

I have two yellow warp points and one blue, just north of the camp.
Keep going north to the next screen, and then keep east going up a ramp and it'll lead to another blue warp point, then you need to follow the path and exit west. Following that just keep going through the west exits till you finally get to a third warp point, which leads you to a river. At the river you can either exit to the south for one of the towns, or NW for the other. I'd recommend South first personally but the choice is yours.

Edit: Too late. :p Nevermind.

cj_iwakura

Keep going north to the next screen, and then keep east going up a ramp and it'll lead to another blue warp point, then you need to follow the path and exit west. Following that just keep going through the west exits till you finally get to a third warp point, which leads you to a river. At the river you can either exit to the south for one of the towns, or NW for the other. I'd recommend South first personally but the choice is yours.

Edit: Too late. :p Nevermind.

Yeah, whoops. I totally missed that upper right exit in the swamp. That should do it!

(Sorry Riviera, you're on the backburner again.)

LowParry

Seriously. What kind of ending what that. Eeeeesh. Great game and had a lot of fun playing on Hard Mode. I'll eventually tackle Nightmare but Bravely Default is my next game!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is there any difficulty-related trophy here?

Cause if not, I probably would just go through normal instead of Hard or Nightmare. I am in a bit of a hurry.

Shengar

Is there any difficulty-related trophy here?

Cause if not, I probably would just go through normal instead of Hard or Nightmare. I am in a bit of a hurry.

Yes, there is. You must complete the game on Nightmare. Though I personally recommend you to do that in New Game+ if you are in hurry.

cj_iwakura

So far the game's been kind of disappointing. I'm at the Primeval Lands. It's good, but not great like Oath in Felghana or even Chronicles. Aside from the gorgeous draw distance, the game doesn't feel that Ys-like; it just feels like any action RPG. The bosses don't have much 'aha' strategy like Felghana's, just wait for the weak spot and wail on it.

kiriin

So far the game's been kind of disappointing. I'm at the Primeval Lands. It's good, but not great like Oath in Felghana or even Chronicles. Aside from the gorgeous draw distance, the game doesn't feel that Ys-like; it just feels like any action RPG. The bosses don't have much 'aha' strategy like Felghana's, just wait for the weak spot and wail on it.

Well, Felghana was similar in gameplay mechanics imo. The boss fights were just more difficult and it was a lot less forgiving yet it rely on the whole burst skill and timing it right. But that sort of Celceta's problem. The difficulty been toned down too much.

How come some treasure chests don't show up on the minimap and some do? I'm missing some chests for the trophy and I can't figure out where they might be. FWIW, I did get the one in Tower of Providence that requires you to fall off of a disappearing platform, so it's not that one. I've been going back through all the old dungeons, but it's pretty tiring, and I'm still not sure I'll end up finding the one that I'm missing.

Hey can anyone help me answer this?
So I just came to a dungeon thats supposedly too hard for me, and since I went in blind, cannot go to other towns,
The Water dungeon will edit later with name
. Will I have to start an earlier save? Or just grind?

Einbroch

Banned
I have an addiction, I think, and that addiction is mastering every ability. I'm a huge sucker for "level-through-use" skills.

kiriin

Hey can anyone help me answer this?
So I just came to a dungeon thats supposedly too hard for me, and since I went in blind, cannot go to other towns,
The Water dungeon will edit later with name
. Will I have to start an earlier save? Or just grind?

What difficulty are you on? What part of the dungeon are you having hard time with? The boss? You should never have to grind in this game.

What difficulty are you on? What part of the dungeon are you having hard time with? The boss? You should never have to grind in this game.
Playing on hard mode, because I was recommended that by friends. I was fine until the final boss fight, which is kicking my ass. Today I was thinking of doing some grinding for gold to imptove my armor with bonuses. What amazed me though that the order of dungeons is nonlinear because I skipped the
two villages
and went straight to the
river poisoning mission

kiriin

Playing on hard mode, because I was recommended that by friends. I was fine until the final boss fight, which is kicking my ass. Today I was thinking of doing some grinding for gold to imptove my armor with bonuses. What amazed me though that the order of dungeons is nonlinear because I skipped the
two villages
and went straight to the
river poisoning mission

The dungeon are pretty much linear except the first two. You can chose to do the river or the great tree in either order.

Also if your talking about giant fish boss fight on land (It really has no relevancy to the story no need for spoil tag) it all about timing. Just keep evading his attack and getting quick bursts in between. Eventually he will go to a stun phase for a good 10 second, you want to jump on top of him and dps his weakpoint as fast as possible. Try to save your burst skill for that phase and use an attack buff. It possible to kill him in that one single stage when he is stunned.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I finally finished the game, and was completely underwhelmed by the story. Dawn of Ys had heart and a classical story with great throwback to Ys. This has what, a valley girl riding a giant robot? Gameplay was top notch though, but music lacked variety (don't know why more Ys IV weren't used). Again, can't believe how horrendous the story is.

The dungeon are pretty much linear except the first two. You can chose to do the river or the great tree in either order.

Also if your talking about giant fish boss fight on land (It really has no relevancy to the story no need for spoil tag) it all about timing. Just keep evading his attack and getting quick bursts in between. Eventually he will go to a stun phase for a good 10 second, you want to jump on top of him and dps his weakpoint as fast as possible. Try to save your burst skill for that phase and use an attack buff. It possible to kill him in that one single stage when he is stunned.
Ah thanks followed your advice thanks!
Quick questions about spoiler tags since I pretty much suck at them. Would I spoiler tag the circumstances leading up to the boss? Also refining and reinforcing is the best, I don't know why I didn't do it before. Now onto the great tree.

kiriin

Ah thanks followed your advice thanks!
Quick questions about spoiler tags since I pretty much suck at them. Would I spoiler tag the circumstances leading up to the boss? Also refining and reinforcing is the best, I don't know why I didn't do it before. Now onto the great tree.

Honestly I think most people here finish the game or don't care about the story at all. It fine if you spoiler tag the story events but I doubt you'll get frown upon if you don't.

Honestly I think most people here finish the game or don't care about the story at all. It fine if you spoiler tag the story events but I doubt you'll get frown upon if you don't.
Yeah the interesting story parts for me were completing the map, which as many others have said is addictive. I haven't got back to the village to claim my rewards. Can't wait for the million pieces of gold!
We arn't going to get the gold right...

Levyne

Banned
I know this is a bit off topic, but this is the most relevant semi-recent thread.

I started up Ys Seven after hearing about how it was similar to Celceta and...it's more similar than I imagined. Scratches the same itch, though I almost wished I waited a little longer to start since it's feels like I just played this, haha.

I'm not far enough in to have mush of an opinion, just got Aisha.

kiriin

I know this is a bit off topic, but this is the most relevant semi-recent thread.

I started up Ys Seven after hearing about how it was similar to Celceta and...it's more similar than I imagined. Scratches the same itch, though I almost wished I waited a little longer to start since it's feels like I just played this, haha.

I'm not far enough in to have mush of an opinion, just got Aisha.

I found the difficulty for Seven much more better suited then Celceta.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah. bosses seem to have higher HP pools so that you're forced to avoid attacks else they are going to win, not you. In Celceta there were a few times where it felt like you could just eat a lot of the damage because as long as you out-dps'd them you'd win anyways. It's a nice change.

The emphasis on switching party members for different monster types seems more pronounced as well. At first this was annoying, especially being introduced to flying monsters, but I think it adds a much needed layer to the regular fights, and they require a little more effort and thought.

Top Bottom