• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT| It's Time to D-D-D-D, D-D-D-D-Duel!

ryan-ts

I was feeling nostalgic so I went to Wal Mart and bought some Yugioh cards for the first time in a decade. I got the Kaiba starter set and a Tempest Dragon Tin.
- Those XYZ cards seem interesting but I'm not exactly sure how they work.
- Just from checking online I saw cards that were in every deck as a kid like Pot of Greed and Monster Reborn are apparently banned now :/

I'm not sure if I'll ever play but I can see myself buying a few more tins. I was reading online about Premium Gold and saw that they will have the God cards. My eyes went like this *-*

Aggrotek

I was feeling nostalgic so I went to Wal Mart and bought some Yugioh cards for the first time in a decade. I got the Kaiba starter set and a Tempest Dragon Tin.
- Those XYZ cards seem interesting but I'm not exactly sure how they work.
- Just from checking online I saw cards that were in every deck as a kid like Pot of Greed and Monster Reborn are apparently banned now :/

I'm not sure if I'll ever play but I can see myself buying a few more tins. I was reading online about Premium Gold and saw that they will have the God cards. My eyes went like this *-*

In order to special summon an Xyz monster, you have to stack the required number of monsters on top of one another, then place the Xyz monster in Attack or defense position.

So, say you wanted to summon Utopia. You need 2 level 4 monsters. Stack them on top of one another (called Overlay) and you special summon Utopia from your extra deck.

Most Xyz's have special effects that you can activate by sending one of the cards you used to summon it to the graveyard (called detactching).

ryan-ts

In order to special summon an Xyz monster, you have to stack the required number of monsters on top of one another, then place the Xyz monster in Attack or defense position.

So, say you wanted to summon Utopia. You need 2 level 4 monsters. Stack them on top of one another (called Overlay) and you special summon Utopia from your extra deck.

Most Xyz's have special effects that you can activate by sending one of the cards you used to summon it to the graveyard (called detactching).

So the XYZ monster takes the place of those two? Does the XYZ monster still exist on the field if you detach a part of it?

Wiseblade

So the XYZ monster takes the place of those two? Does the XYZ monster still exist on the field if you detach a part of it?
1) Yeah, the XYZ monster is placed on top of the monsters used to summon it, which effectively become ammunition for the XYZ Monster's effects.

2) An XYZ monster will remain on the field after using one or all of the materials underneath, unless the monster's effect says otherwise. There are a few XYZ monsters that specifically state that they are destroyed when they run out of material.

Rajack

Is there a good resource for a player like myself who is looking to get back into the game after 12 years or so?

Wiseblade

12 years? I think the modern state of the game might be a bit of a shock to you. The best bet would be to take things SLOW. Pick an archetype that takes things steady and doesn't rely on the use of thd extra deck to start with, so you can focus on your opponent and what their cards are doing to begin with. "Gravekeepers" are the first thing to come to mind.

I don't know about good resources, the things mosteople use assume you have a working knowledge of the game already and have a good idea of what a modern deck looks like. The best bet is to maybe go to a local tournament and ask around.

Play YGOpro. That should do it.
Oh when is that Android version coming out already!? I'm assuming only 4.0^ will only properly work for it.

Big One

Banned
ygopro is a good way to start. Has access to all the cards plus allows you to play AI opponents. Ygopro will mostly be correct on how cards work so if you have issues with the more complicated stuff it'll sort it out for you. Just don't expect your Yugi Muto/Seto Kaiba deck to be any good, nowadays the game is centered around "archetype" decks focused on certain themes and combos, though they all very in playstyle more or less and everyone has their favorite whether it's something competitive or something for casual play.

Here's a list of all the archetypes in the game: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Archetypes

Competitive archetypes:
Dragon Ruler and Dragon Ruler Variants - This is kind of an engine nowadays more than anything. Basically these dragons are level 7 big beaters than can Special Summon themselves from your hand or graveyard. They used to be @ 3 and were dominate for two whole formats as a deck. Now they're limited to one, but they can be splashed into elemental decks. There's a fire, water, earth, and wind one, and all of them require you to banish 2 of their respentive element and/or dragon type monster from your hand or graveyard...to Special Summon them from your hand or graveyard. They're pretty broken, and they also have effects where you can discard one from your hand with another card of the same element to get certain effects. The Fire one can destroy a card on the field, the Water one can send a monster from your deck to your graveyard, the Earth one can Special Summon a monster from your graveyard, and the Wind one can search for any Dragon monster from your deck and add it to your hand. Tbqh, they're really fucking dumb.
Hieratics
Mermail-Atlantean
Infernity
Fire Fist
Fire King (yes this is different than Fire Fist, though you can splash cards from each into the same deck and it'd work)
Machina Gadget
Cyber Dragon (there's a new structure deck out and it's decent especially if you like the theme)
Blackwings
Inzektors
Geargia
Frog variants (Monarchs, Sea Lancer, Obelisk, etc.)
Noble Knight
Bujin
Harpie Lady (it's now a competitive deck believe it or not)
Lightsworn
Prophecy/Spellbook
Gravekeeper's
Madolche
Gladiator Beast
Thunder Family
and in Japan only as of now: Chronomaly (we have some, but not certain cards that make the deck REALLY good), Artifacts (will be coming in the upcoming set so it won't be long)

Not all but some of the more "playable" archetypes.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Bujin
Dragon Ruler
Fire King
Lightsworns

those are the only ones I enjoy with Lightsworns being my top deck

I never got to experience the time when Dragon Rulers were at 3, that must have been a headache

Big One

Banned
And yeah, there are legal versions of the God cards, but the only one that's playable is Obelisk though not in anything outside of Monarchs tbh.

You forgot to mention spellbooks, rescue rabbit, wind-up, gagaga, zw weapon, galaxy/photon and raccoons :p

edit: also blue eyes/spell books blue eyes decks

Aggrotek

Just bought a Legacy of the Valiant Deluxe edition.
Holy shit.

Here are my pulls:

e4TPaRu.jpg

Let us in

I have faith in you. CARRY US ON TO VICTORY!!!
I'd invite you guys if I could. Here's the site to join the group and apply to the Beta: http://www.ygopro.co/News/tabid/89/EntryId/79/Ygopro-for-Android-beta-begins.aspx

Large file 230^MBs. It's surprisingly smooth and accurate just like the normal program.

Everything is about the same. Best part is that while having 3G speed their Android servers runs smoothly and plays 30 to 40fps in Online Multiplayer (higher internet speeds should run 60fps no problem in theory). The only feature that has yet to be included is the Save Replays to be archived for certain devices (no idea if newer versions of 4.1^ higher resolution devices have more support).

Idk about Ygopro coming to the IPhone yet. It's up to date with the latest banlist. Anymore updates and impressions I'll post it asap.

Edit: Reserved for screenshots.

Wichu

The Eye of Timaeus
Spell Card
(This card is also always treated as "Legendary Dragon Timaeus".)
Target 1 "Dark Magician" monster you control; Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck that lists that monster on the field as a Fusion Material Monster, using it as the Fusion Material. You can only activate 1 "The Eye of Timaeus" per turn.
My favourite card is Dark Paladin. This means I don't have to clog up deck slots with crappy old Buster Blader any more. Aww yeah :D

Also as someone who hasn't bought physical cards in ages (mostly played the DS games and occasionally YGO Pro), I did not realise they put such good cards in tins nowadays. Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning and Ally of Justice Catastor in one convenient package (along with the awesome-but-impractical Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Gustav Max)? Reaallly tempted to pick it up for casual games with my one or two friends that still have their cards...
I've only ever bought one tin when I needed something to hold my cards - got a Dark Magician Girl and a few boosters.

Wiseblade

I'm really tempted to make a Dark Magician/Spellbook hybrid deck right now. Slap in the apprentice engine for good measure.

Wichu

Also, while browsing the Wiki and catching up on things I might have missed, I found this - "Outer God Nyarla".
300px-OuterGodNyarla-LVAL-KR-R-1E.png

Lovecraft in my children's card games? Sweet. And dat art - looks like it belongs on a MtG card rather than here.
too bad its effect is meh

Update: Bug Fixes. Save Replays are working. Able to exit out of MP after a duel.

Still needs work: Hosting. And setting A.I.s to use your custom built decks has yet to show.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, Arc-V airs tomorrow, and I'm suddenly interested in it after watching the trailer for it...looks like it'll be fun with the MC using magician-based monsters.

Watch Da Birdie

Probably the 2 Pendulum Spellcasters. Astronomancy and Chronomancy.

No, I mean he's got Monsters that look like Stage Magicians, there's that weird hippo, and apparently like he's got a magician scorpion too.

Ugh, I really want to try and play this again, but I have no idea where to start.
Any good sets to check out? The few cards I still have laying around were from the dinosaur structure deck, promo cards, and a Dark Magician.
If anything, I just want to collect. It sounds totally weird, but I just like opening packs. lol

Wichu

Ugh, I really want to try and play this again, but I have no idea where to start.
Any good sets to check out? The few cards I still have laying around were from the dinosaur structure deck, promo cards, and a Dark Magician.
If anything, I just want to collect. It sounds totally weird, but I just like opening packs. lol

A good way to make a decent deck relatively cheap is to find a structure deck you like and buy 2-3 copies of it (they should be about $10 each). Play it for a while, then once you've got a good idea of what the cards do, swap out the ones you don't like for extra copies of the ones you do like.

Opening packs is fun and all, but you rarely get anything good... But if you just want to collect, go ahead.

Anyway, I want to improve my crappy spell counter deck I made years ago. I messed around with a few things in the last DS game, and it turns out I've been reading Arcanite Magician wrong all this time.

Holy shit Arcanite Magician is good.

Wiseblade

A good way to make a decent deck relatively cheap is to find a structure deck you like and buy 2-3 copies of it (they should be about $10 each). Play it for a while, then once you've got a good idea of what the cards do, swap out the ones you don't like for extra copies of the ones you do like.

Opening packs is fun and all, but you rarely get anything good... But if you just want to collect, go ahead.

Anyway, I want to improve my crappy spell counter deck I made years ago. I messed around with a few things in the last DS game, and it turns out I've been reading Arcanite Magician wrong all this time.

Yeah, Arcanite magician is great.

Spellcounter decks are an uphill struggle; building counters is often more trouble than the effects are worth. I feel like I say this a lot, but mixing in spellbooks are the way to go. If you're adamant about using Endymion's field spell then Strength of Prophecy is a must to keep books and in play.

Watch Da Birdie

Man, all the old Yu-Gi-Oh sites I used to visit seem to be totally gone now, especially that Janime website where I got all my anime news. :(

Thanks! I'll give the Blue-Eyes or the Cyber Dragon ones a try.
I wish they had a Magician-based one. :/

Aggrotek

I meant like, not overpriced and still playable. lol
Something I can afford with a minimum budget of like, $50 or so. Especially if I need like, 3.

Wow, didn't know they got that expensive...

I've made plenty decks under $30. Battlin' Boxers are a good example of a budget deck that performs really well. You can't rock a big name archetype for that little but you can at least compete.

If someone told me there was a good deck based around Red Eyes Black Dragon, or hell even Black Magician Girl, I'd get right back into the game.

Red Eyes is my bro.

EDIT: And I do know, at least last I had checked, that Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon was beast, unless that changed.

Wichu

Spellcounter decks are an uphill struggle; building counters is often more trouble than the effects are worth. I feel like I say this a lot, but mixing in spellbooks are the way to go. If you're adamant about using Endymion's field spell then Strength of Prophecy is a must to keep books and in play.
Yep, that's what I'm doing. The ability of most of the Spellbooks to replace themselves is awesome when I'm just trying to play a bunch of spells in one turn.
If someone told me there was a good deck based around Red Eyes Black Dragon, or hell even Black Magician Girl, I'd get right back into the game.

Red Eyes is my bro.

EDIT: And I do know, at least last I had checked, that Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon was beast, unless that changed.
Well, there's this coming out soon...

Watch Da Birdie

So...Arc-V looks pretty cool from what I saw of the first episode, especially since the Duel was pretty dynamic with them moving around a battlefield.

Also dancing hippos.

bigkrev

So...Arc-V looks pretty cool from what I saw of the first episode, especially since the Duel was pretty dynamic with them moving around a battlefield.

Also dancing hippos.

My reaction to the first episode was "wow, that bad guy only has 1 card left in his hand at the end of the first turn". And "oh, the Main character had a turn 2 kill if his opponent didn't pull out the stupid mechanic of the anime, they probably need to ban some cards"

Top Bottom