• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT| It's Time to D-D-D-D, D-D-D-D-Duel!

Wichu

So the Ygopro Android App has been out for a little over a week with an improved version but not the latest version like its other counterpart.

Which I wanted to ask you guys, how do you feel about Soul Charge, Pendulum Summoning, and not being able to draw at first turn?

Also, Arc-V is pretty good series so far. Yuya sorta reminds me of Jaden from GX being a top duelist and a slacker at times but more of a joker and entertainer. The kid should be getting paid by sponsors and making all that dough and fame being the new world champ action duelist. Since this show pretty much raised the bar in dueling with hard light technology being potentially dangerous depending on the right circumstances, would that eliminate the usual formula writing in past shows where the "Damage is real and if you're lost then so is your Soul(s)!" / Armageddon?

Soul Charge: meh. It's probably going to get banned/limited, so I'm not really worrying about it.
Pendulum Summons: don't seem too good at the moment (you need two specific spells and a hand full of monsters), but I'm sure they'll start releasing more cards to break the mechanic.
New first turn rule: good change. Magic and Hearthstone already have this rule, and it works very well - there's reasons to go both first and second now.
And you missed the new field rule (two field spells at once): I like playing field spells (Magical Citadel is almost invincible!), so I'm happy with the change. It is less flavourful, though - again, drawing a comparison to Magic, it's like the new legendary/Planeswalker rule. (Arguably) better gameplay, though it doesn't make sense.

Speaking of Soul Charge, I just opened half a box of DRLG. Got Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight, Amulet Dragon, and Legendary Knight Timaeus! Now I just need some copies of The Eye of Timaeus...

Wiseblade

So I just played ygopro on Android...

When did Rekindling get limited?! RIP Jurracs, you were too good for this world.

EDIT: Guaiba getting errata-nerfed? THE WORLD IS TOO CRUEL

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hey, folks. I know I'm begging for a lot of spoon-feeding of information here, but I hope you don't mind hearing me out.

I've been out of the game for several years and was never a competitive player to begin with, but I have approximately two months to become familiar enough with the game again to be able to host a local tournament. Basically, here's the deal: I work at a public library, and our Youth Librarian is working to institute periodic MTG and Yu-Gi-Oh! tourney/casual play days as a new youth outreach program. I've never played Magic and she's already got an experienced player volunteering with that side of things, but I stepped up for the YGO side of things because of my past experience with it.

We have to submit orders for all materials being bought for the new program soon, and part of my task is making sure we have everything necessary to host a tournament. We've got tables and chairs, I can order playmats if I have to, and I already have a few other things listed like timers and counters. It seems like a pretty low-maintenance, low-tech operation, but am I missing anything obvious?

My main concern is me catching up enough on the game to be able to make rulings and understand what's going on in general. I stopped playing around the time that the Elemental Heroes and Cyber Dragon came out, and I watched some 5D's years ago so I know the basics of Tuning and Synchro monsters, but any new rules or card types that have been introduced since then, I'm clueless on. I know I can just read up on it, but if I actually wanted to gain some experience again (preferably at little to no cost), how do I do that? I bought the PSN game when it came out, but it was awful and designed around forcing you to sink tons of money into the DLC packs to even be able to beat the easiest AI opponents.

Finally, what's the cheapest place to buy booster boxes and starter decks? When we have tourneys we want to give out at least a pack to everyone in attendance and more based on performance, but it looks basically impossible to purchase them wholesale from Konami.

Thanks everybody! If anyone is interested, I'll keep the thread updated on how this all goes.

Don’t forget dice to go along with the counters! In addition to cards that call for it, that’s also the preferred way to decide who goes first at my locals.

As for brushing up on the game, there’s the program YGOPRO which is free and has a (beta) AI opponent system, in case you don’t want to have to fight people online just to relearn the recent mechanics. (Currently it has several decks to play against from the recent meta, and decks based on Yugi, Kaiba and Pegasus) It runs pretty fast though so it may be hard to figure out exactly what the AI just did at first if you’re not used to the new cards.

Synchros are good but the latest popular mechanic is XYZ and pretty much any constructed deck is guaranteed to run at least one. It’s fairly simple though, you need to have two (or more) monsters of the same level on your field, then you place them on top of each other and place the appropriate XYZ monster from your extra deck on top of that. To use their special abilities, generally you have to send one of the monsters you stacked it on (called Overlay Units) to the graveyard.

Yugiohprices.com has a generally accurate price comparison for individual cards and entire sets / boosters as well. I don't know about shipping, but you should at least be able to find which place offers the best initial deal.

Our locals gives out Star Packs to pretty much everyone because they basically run .99 a pop, but their contents aren’t very good. The recent Battle Packs are generally good for staples, but they include some banned cards as well because of the rules of the new Draft play.

The newest set, Primal Origin, is great but it's also full of continuations to previous archetypes and is probably meaningless to newer players. It does introduce Artifacts though which are splashable and popular.

Hope that helped with some of your questions!

Magwik

Banned
speaking of yugiohprices.com, I recently discovered I have one of the highest going cards that averages at $80. Neat.

Wichu

So I bought World Duel Carnival earlier today. I probably should've waited for a price drop given I knew it had less content than the previous games, but meh.

Initial impressions (haven't tried story mode yet):

+ AI decisions are much faster. Considering that's the one thing that annoyed me about the DS games, that's a big plus.
+ Free Duel mode starts with all the cards + duelists unlocked. You don't need to play for hours to put together the deck you want to use or unlock harder opponents.
+ More options compared to the DS games (e.g. auto-skip animations, music/sound effect volume, ability to turn off CPU messages).
+ Pretty minor, but the Free Duel opponents are human characters again. I wasn't a fan of having to duel against monsters in the DS games.
+ Music is better than WC2011's, and you can choose pretty much any song in the game to play during duels, but the actual number of duel-specific songs is smaller.

- Lack of features compared to the DS games. This is the big one - all you have is Free Duel and Story modes, i.e. no multiplayer or character customisation.
- The interface feels clunkier than the DS games' (for example, you have to double-tap with the stylus to confirm a selection, and to sort your deck list you have to exit the deck builder and re-enter).
- The localisation feels rushed and untested. There's some pretty embarassing text slip-ups. For example, "change control" card effects are translated as... "edit controls", and the names of the packs in the card search options don't match up with what they actually search for (the options use the TCG release list while the text uses the OCG list, so you have stuff like the TCG-exclusive Samurai Warlords deck being labeled as the OCG-exclusive Duelist Pack: Shark & Rio). Yeah, it's pretty grim :/

Dragoshi1

So what's the best/most recent game released in the US?

I find playing the video games helps me learn the game faster and better than against real players.

Also I added to the Saga of Blue Eyes Structure deck I bought, and played a few rounds with friends. I obviously added more B.Es, and it's a little scary to see all 3 effortlessly brought onto my side of the field, with a small boost from Mountain, and that one equip card from the deck that prevents them from being destroyed once.

I just need more of the Maiden, the bursting stream destruction, and azure eyes.

Wichu

So what's the best/most recent game released in the US?

I find playing the video games helps me learn the game faster and better than against real players.

Also I added to the Saga of Blue Eyes Structure deck I bought, and played a few rounds with friends. I obviously added more B.Es, and it's a little scary to see all 3 effortlessly brought onto my side of the field, with a small boost from Mountain, and that one equip card from the deck that prevents them from being destroyed once.

I just need more of the Maiden, the bursting stream destruction, and azure eyes.

The best game IMO is World Championship 2010: Reverse of Arcadia (best story mode, best music, best fusion animation). The 2011 version has a couple of extra sets, but is overall not as good as 2010. They're a few years old now, so they won't have any new cards (2011 goes up to just before Xyz monsters were introduced).
World Duel Carnival comes out in a few months (it came out today in Europe), which goes up to the Blue-Eyes structure deck you have. Millennium Duels on X360/PS3 is also pretty recent, but a ton of the cards are locked behind DLC paywalls :/

Anyway, I've been playing the story mode of WDC, and wow Yuma is annoying. The awful writing doesn't help either. At least the gameplay is still good :)

Dragoshi1

Ordered the Yugi Reloaded starter deck, got tired of trying to track it in stores.

I just wanted it for Dark Magician girl, my favorite monster alongside Blue Eyes.

I have the Cu-Poche of her too. NO REGRETS.

Ordered the Yugi Reloaded starter deck, got tired of trying to track it in stores.

I just wanted it for Dark Magician girl, my favorite monster alongside Blue Eyes.

I got mine at Wal-mart. idk if there are those stores where you live though.

Dragoshi1

Tampa area of Florida, no Walmarts near me have ANY decks, a target near me only has the kaiba deck. Toys R Us has the Yugi deck, but it's 18 bucks.

Wiseblade

Is World Duel Carnival really single-player only? I struggle to believe Konami could cut a feature that was in the past 5 WC Games.

EDIT: I see that they have. I simply can't justify spending £35 to play Prophecies against AI.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Not only that, but the English release of Duel Carnival is seriously gimped:

http://www.ygorganization.com/tcg-world-duel-carnival-news/

The Device and Database modes in the Japanese game have been removed for English release. There are also no Duelist Profiles, no Photos, no Ending Pictures and no Music to play when you wish.

All mats and sleeves are automatically unlocked in the game from the get go.

There are only 12 Playable Characters in the game, unlike the game’s original 40:
- Yuma
- Astral
- ZEXAL
- Tori
- Reginald
- Kite
- Dr. Faker
- Vetrix
- Trey
- Quattro
- Alito
- Konami-kun (aka Hat Guy)

Been playing a lot of Millennium Duels (PS3) recently, which is my first involvement with Yu-Gi-Oh since Invasion of Chaos about 10 years ago.

I've been reading up on everything and really wanted to make a Ghostrick or Traptrix deck in-game, but some of the key cards for each deck are right on the freakin' cutoff for the stuff that made it in. It only covers up to Shadow Spectres, frustratingly enough. Trying to figure out a plan B, which will probably be a Gusto or Prophecy deck.

Wiseblade

Been playing a lot of Millennium Duels (PS3) recently, which is my first involvement with Yu-Gi-Oh since Invasion of Chaos about 10 years ago.

I've been reading up on everything and really wanted to make a Ghostrick or Traptrix deck in-game, but some of the key cards for each deck are right on the freakin' cutoff for the stuff that made it in. It only covers up to Shadow Spectres, frustratingly enough. Trying to figure out a plan B, which will probably be a Gusto or Prophecy deck.

Yes, play Prophecy! At least give the deck a solid shake. Between all the search power available and the wide range of Spellbook effects, you rarely feel like you have no options in an unfavourable situation. The fact that you can easily slot in generic Spellcaster monsters/support and how hybrid friendly the archetype is makes it feel like you'#re free to adjust the deck to better suit your playstyle.

Koyuga

Spellbook/Prophecy decks are fantastic, they have great longevity and versatility, and still perform well in events when they show up. It takes a lot of thought and planning to actually play though, so they can be quite difficult to use.

Has anyone else picked up the new realm if light structure deck? I bought 3 for the breakthrough skills, but I'm actually finding myself having a lot of fun playing lightsworn. Thinking of trying out the lightsworn rulers builds I've been seeing lately.

Regiruler

If anyone is still paying attention to this thread, WCQ is being streamed: http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/video/2014_YGOWCQ_live.html
EDIT: OUCH at that game loss for Garcia. He was playing a cool deck too.

The second memories of the duel king in the OCG had good DMG sleeves. Apparently the set itself is hard to find though as stock was bought out near immediately.

Wiseblade

Spellbook/Prophecy decks are fantastic, they have great longevity and versatility, and still perform well in events when they show up. It takes a lot of thought and planning to actually play though, so they can be quite difficult to use.

I disagree with the bolded. Spellbook plays can be elaborate, but they're not actually that complicated. The deck just goes round the houses to do anything.

Has anyone else picked up the new realm if light structure deck? I bought 3 for the breakthrough skills, but I'm actually finding myself having a lot of fun playing lightsworn. Thinking of trying out the lightsworn rulers builds I've been seeing lately.
Why won't Konami just let Lightsworn die? That said, I saw a Lightsworn/Gen-Knight hybrid deck the other day and thought it looked cool.

"It's the greatest kind of dueling!"

"Action! Duel!"

When are they going to drop this repetition in Arc-V? It takes up so much time, dialogue, dueling...

Catching up with 10 years' worth of new cards is proving harder than I thought it'd be. Messed around with the PS3 game some more and made Gusto, Fortune Lady and (gimped) Traptrix decks. I'm working up to a Prophecy Spellbook deck but I feel like I need to get to grips with the changes / refresh my understanding of the game a bit more before tackling that.

I disagree with the bolded. Spellbook plays can be elaborate, but they're not actually that complicated. The deck just goes round the houses to do anything.
Compared to the other stuff I've been looking at, it seems to be one of the more intricate archtypes. Probably not that bad once you get some experience with the cards, but at the moment trying to figure out some of the good strategies is giving me a headache.

Regiruler

Catching up with 10 years' worth of new cards is proving harder than I thought it'd be. Messed around with the PS3 game some more and made Gusto, Fortune Lady and (gimped) Traptrix decks. I'm working up to a Prophecy Spellbook deck but I feel like I need to get to grips with the changes / refresh my understanding of the game a bit more before tackling that.

Compared to the other stuff I've been looking at, it seems to be one of the more intricate archtypes. Probably not that bad once you get some experience with the cards, but at the moment trying to figure out some of the good strategies is giving me a headache.

It's really straightforward. (Crescent) -> Secrets -> Librarian (if you don't already have a caster on board) -> Master copy secrets -> Tower. Repeat next turn, with fate as the ending instead.

Tizoc

Effin' Kaiba
tumblr_m3z7i2MQTq1ro8syqo1_250.gif

tumblr_m3z7i2MQTq1ro8syqo2_250.gif

tumblr_m3z7i2MQTq1ro8syqo3_250.gif

tumblr_m3z7i2MQTq1ro8syqo4_250.gif

Regiruler

By the way, Next Challengers (new main set) is out saturday in japan.

If you want to keep up with what's new, you can check out the wiki list here or the pojo OP here.

Heyo, Yu-Gi-Oh!-GAF. I had a quick question and I was wondering if y'all could help me. I've been thinking about getting back in the game starting with Arc-V. I even went out and bought the new structure deck that came out on Friday. And with Duelist Alliance coming out near my birthday, I was thinking of treating myself to a booster box. My question is: what would be the best place to buy the box? My local place is selling it for 74 bucks, so that's out of the question. Any good online stores where I can buy the thing?

Wiseblade

Heyo, Yu-Gi-Oh!-GAF. I had a quick question and I was wondering if y'all could help me. I've been thinking about getting back in the game starting with Arc-V. I even went out and bought the new structure deck that came out on Friday. And with Duelist Alliance coming out near my birthday, I was thinking of treating myself to a booster box. My question is: what would be the best place to buy the box? My local place is selling it for 74 bucks, so that's out of the question. Any good online stores where I can buy the thing?

1) Why are you buying a box?
2) WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BUYING A BOX?
3) There are quite a few online retailers you can go to (Troll & Toad and CoreTCG are ones I've used in the past) but don't expect the prices there to be much better.
4) If you're just getting into the game, you're better off building a simple, low cost deck that remains moderately competitive. Something with enough plays to stay interesting, but simple enough that you can focus on what your opponent is doing rather than trying to figure out your own cards. something like... Six Samurai!

bigkrev

If your heart is set on buying boxes, than Potomac Distribution (http://www.potomacdist.com/) is probably the best, and they recently eliminated their $150 minimum order rule.

That said, as Wiseblade mentioned, understand that buying boxes (unless you plan to use them for limited play) is basically the same thing as lighting money on fire and watching it burn.

1) Why are you buying a box?
2) WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BUYING A BOX?
3) There are quite a few online retailers you can go to (Troll & Toad and CoreTCG are ones I've used in the past) but don't expect the prices there to be much better.
4) If you're just getting into the game, you're better off building a simple, low cost deck that remains moderately competitive. Something with enough plays to stay interesting, but simple enough that you can focus on what your opponent is doing rather than trying to figure out your own cards. something like... Six Samurai!

If your heart is set on buying boxes, than Potomac Distribution (http://www.potomacdist.com/) is probably the best, and they recently eliminated their $150 minimum order rule.

That said, as Wiseblade mentioned, understand that buying boxes (unless you plan to use them for limited play) is basically the same thing as lighting money on fire and watching it burn.

I didn't think you guys would have such a negative reaction. I just really want to go all in with this new season since i've been out of the game for so long. Box seemed like a nice way to get a nice start and my birthday seemed like a nice excuse to spend some dough.

bigkrev

I didn't think you guys would have such a negative reaction. I just really want to go all in with this new season since i've been out of the game for so long. Box seemed like a nice way to get a nice start and my birthday seemed like a nice excuse to spend some dough.

If you want something simple you can buy at Target/Walmart for a relativly cheap price that you could show up at a local tournament and not be embarrased, buy 3 of the same structure deck and combine them.

If you want something simple you can buy at Target/Walmart for a relativly cheap price that you could show up at a local tournament and not be embarrased, buy 3 of the same structure deck and combine them.

But I don't like Lightsworns. D: lol I just really wanted to start fresh with only Arc-V cards. Kinda like Pokemon BW. I guess I'll just do whatever. Thanks for the help, Yu-Gi-Oh!-GAF.

Regiruler

If you want to be doing something new, wait for next challengers. Qliphoth are going to be the first good pendulum deck.
If you wish to see a demonstration, I would be happy to provide you with one on dueling network once it's added this weekend.

Wiseblade

If you want to be doing something new, wait for next challengers. Qliphoth are going to be the first good pendulum deck.
If you wish to see a demonstration, I would be happy to provide you with one on dueling network once it's added this weekend.

DO NOT ACCEPT THIS

Regiruler

You people are ruining my fun...
Regardless, two of the new decks in Duelist Alliance are boring (shaddoll tend to be very oppressive and stellaknight are the most straightforward deck in the game of yugioh with a rediculous extra deck pricing due to rank 4 costs), yang zing is actually somewhat fun to play but isn't considered very good at the moment, and Burning Abyss is currently an unknown factor but won't be playable until a few more sets.

But truth be told, boxes aren't a good idea for someone trying to get (back) into the game. If I bought the amount of boxes needed to build full artifacts, I'd probably cry myself to sleep every night.
If you want something a bit more high end but not necessarily a pointless money sink, you will most likely have to wait for the fiddy dolla Noble Knight structure deck. The alternative is going with singles.

Regiruler

I still say Six Samurai are the best (re)entry deck Konami have ever made.

Deck's ok-ish. If we're talking structures, Sea Emperor's Roar is a fairly good place to start but has been out of print for a while. Onslaught of the Fire Kings is another good one.

I feel that Blue-eyes requires either a well-dedicated extra deck or quite a few supplementary cards. Rank 8/9 turbo is fun but can be somewhat confusing.
Is Nightmare Troubadour any good?
I don't like playing things with outdated lists, personally. I wouldn't touch any of the games with a 5-foot pole, bar duel arena when it was in its beta phase because it was free. The non-konami programs/sites do a much better job of staying up to date.

But I've heard that as far as the games go that it's decent.

EDIT: Going with a rescue rat avatar to celebrate the new set. It's rather small but W/E.

Regiruler

A lot of staples are pre-Arc-V.
I don't think he meant foregoing everything. My assumption was that he wanted to play shaddolls or yang zing (no one actually plays tellarknights, I could write an AI in 5 minutes that does it for you).
Does space-time showdown have MSTs? He could pick up some of those and build normal pendulum beat using some stuff from DUEA when it comes out. Requires a few tuners and synchros though for the power plays, along with a copy of general for good measure. I have a build with NECH cards that I can simplify down for DUEA.

EDIT: There's a lot more pre- ARC-V stuff than I remember, but the deck does have a very distinct feel to it that I find enjoyable. The fact that Performapal Silver claw is not legal hurts the deck's TCG playability (it's a promo in japan and is on the shonen jump poll, so we're not seeing it for a while) so I had to make a few adjustments. Also fewer super starter cards than I remember, but whatever.
itpZjqb.png

Becomes much more fun when the new normal fusion monster is released, although the lack of Elemental HERO blazeman (Rota -> blazeman -> polymerization) hurts the consistency a bit.

Top Bottom