• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Rich!

I think I had 3 or 4 bottles before making it to Lorule. Once you can swim there are 2 that you can get. The third was purchased in the village I'm assuming that's the one you have. Not sure where I got #4.

1. From the merchant in Kakariko
2. From the man under the bridge near the Eastern Palace
3. Found near the House of Gales, and given to you by the man on the mountain
4. Given to you by the great rupee fairy near kakariko after donating enough
5. the vacant house in lorule, bomb the back wall to get in

Rich!

Here is my list of silly disappointments with the game that really shouldn't matter, and kinda don't:

1. Skull Woods is about as threatening as Disneyland, and is missing the Death Mountain music.

2. The treacherous tower should have been the final dungeon, like Ganon's Tower was goddamnit. 8 floors of hell. but noooo

3. I wanted to play tennis with yuga like agahnim. NO LOL

I can't think of anything else. That's how good the game is.

Bog

Junior Ace
It usually takes me a couple tries to get over 100. I got incredibly lucky once though and ended up with this...

zE3OIND.jpg

Nice. It took me three tries to break 100, and by then my hands were shaking, so I think I topped out at 130ish. I like how after 100, it basically goes into cooldown mode.

Now if only the
baseball
game wasn't a pile of crap.

Sagitario

Fuck, now I have to beat 285 seconds. :p
Goodbye life.
At least the music is absolutely fantastic!

One thing I found hilarious whilst replaying in Hero Mode was the house of gales.

Viewed from outside, it's a small building no bigger than one in Kakariko. It fits entirely on one screen - however once you're on the balcony inside, it's absolutely massive and towers miles high. lol wut. Are we supposed to believe this is some kind of magic building? I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.
Not sure if serious.
First, the same can be said for other dungeons. They are icons, they represent the dungeon in the overworld. All videogames do this, doing 1:1 (or close) would be restrictive.
Second, fired? Really?

I started Hero Mode today and I'm just about to get the third pendant. This game is so much better with the added challenge. I'm actually considering my every movement and being less cavalier when attacking. Feels like a spiritual successor to the original LoZ in this regard- if only it had been available from the beginning.

Rich!

Not sure if serious.
First, the same can be said for other dungeons. They are icons, they represent the dungeon in the overworld. All videogames do this, doing 1:1 (or close) would be restrictive.
Second, fired? Really?

hahaha,

Yeah, I hope they got not only fired, but their family killed by dogs. Dogs with bees in their mouths, which shoot bees when they bark.

Beed and fired to death.

Nice. It took me three tries to break 100, and by then my hands were shaking, so I think I topped out at 130ish. I like how after 100, it basically goes into cooldown mode.

Now if only the
baseball
game wasn't a pile of crap.

Big reason why I got to 200 was because of that very cool down lol. It switches from large to small every 100 seconds so once I hit the 200's I had a decent breather.

The soundtrack is AMAZING, this composer HAS TO BE the one for Zelda WiiU. His pieces are incredible. I had a magical moment in
Ice Ruins
thanks to a combination of design, atmosphere, gameplay and soundtrack. Maybe the best dungeon variation is the one I heard first, wich happens to be the "normal" one
(thieves' hideout)
but I just can't stop thinking about the magic I felt in the
Ice Ruins

The last tracks you hear are just pure eargasm.

Man, I feel like some kind of pro getting that 102 on the Baseball minigame after 4 tries. IF you ever played a baseball video game in your life, you know that swinging early means the balls goes to the right, and swinging late means it goes to the left. Do that in various way 3 times, hit the crow which is easy with the homing, then do that a few more times, you're golden.

Also, I love the music and the Octorok who gets angry if you hit him by accident. He also has some hilarious dialog every time I spoke to him. "You're want to feel my heat, then step up to the kitchen plate! ...Yeah, I'm still working on that one."

DaBoss

Oh man, I just got past 100 seconds about 10/13 times now, that used to be what I thought the hardest part. My previous record a while back was 250 seconds, but now....
http://i.imgur.com/GM5MShb.jpg
It's still going, but yea, let's see if I can get past 300 seconds and see what happens.

EDIT: The 300 second section involves super fast small Cuccos. It is like the first section, except if you screw up, as in you avoid one Cucco but end up being in another Cucco's path, you are very unlikely to recover.
EDIT2: Going past 300 seconds gives you 300 rupees!

dogbutt

Neo Member
can anyone give a small hint for finding the titan mitts or whatever they're called? I don't want to look the answer up but a push in the right direction would be much appreciated...

can anyone give a small hint for finding the titan mitts or whatever they're called? I don't want to look the answer up but a push in the right direction would be much appreciated...

Been to Ravio's recently?

The melody is similar, yeah.

Still amazed that every Lorule dungeon track uses the same melody and yet sounds utterly unique. It's great.

Yep, they did a great job there. I just love how Nintendo's first party games finally have orchestrated music- something we were all clamouring for in the GC era.

RagnarokX

So everyone can do the 100 second cuckoo thing? Boo. I felt special after reading the Iwata Asks where they said no one on the QA team could do it.

100 seconds isn't beating it. You have to dodge for 999 seconds to beat the minigame. That's almost 17 minutes. That's what Mario Club couldn't do.

http://youtu.be/ZddIEjNC7V8

ta da! that's the only version of it in the game.

Thank you!

I just did the tower (and was surprised to find it) but I was too busy battling enemies to notice the arrangement. At least it made it's way into the game somehow, that makes me happy.

Still a bit disappointed the Death Mountain theme doesn't play while you're in Skull Woods or when you're in the swamp with the lightning, that was one of the best parts about LTTP.
, but oh well.

I also kind of miss the three medallions, although you never really used Ether,Quake and the other one that often. At least I didn't.

RagnarokX

is this a remake or an original track?
the part starting at 20seconds is very similiar to the conan theme the used in some trailers

It's original, but it's also Hyrule Castle's theme reversed. Also, as you progress through it it gradually becomes more epic and adds a certain familiar theme to it.

All I will say is think about the other people who are missing…

When I did the Thief's Hideout mission and discovered that
you have to save a girl and lead her around
, and with Ys Seven being recently released and getting good feedback, I wondered to myself if it would hurt the series to have party members that follow you around, fight, and help with puzzles. Combat would have to be deeper, of course, but this would go a long way into breaking up the Zelda formula than with recent attempts

Finished the game today. My two cents on it spoiliered below.

Definitely saw the twist in Hilda's motives coming as it was foreshadowed most of the way through, regardless I was still impressed.

There was an interesting theory I saw on /v/. It was never confirmed who Yuga's counterpart in Hyrule is. He has the same diamond earings as Ghirahim though, and he was trying to revive Ganon. Is Yuga Ghirahim's counterpart?

I'm definitely going to replay LttP as well as 100% this game and play Hero Mode.

I think Yuga is Ganondorf's counterpart. With the Triforce destroyed in Lorule, Yuganon couldn't be born and Yuga went on to become an angsty painter.

KHlover

Banned
100 seconds isn't beating it. You have to dodge for 999 seconds to beat the minigame. That's almost 17 minutes. That's what Mario Club couldn't do.

Madness! I didn't even manage 30s yet...Oh well, now that I finally have my Titan Mitts it is time to find all those pesky Maimais :D

EDIT: Got a heart piece for being a voyeur. The fuck.
EDIT 2: Did 30s. Why have I failed so hard before?

Atrarock

So is there any way to calm down the
cyclop that goes all like "GIMME BACK MAH RUPEES!!!". Pretty awesome part really. I kind of feel bad for the guy. What would have happened if I wouldn't have been so greedy? Nothing?
If you weren't greedy you get this :
Hr2X3LG.png
D1too33.png

I honestly don't think he can be calmed down if you take his money.
I just finished with 100% aside from streetpassing. The ending was pretty cool, but I have one question about it.

What was the "answer" to the Majora's Mask remake requests Aonuma teased a while back? I didn't notice anything related to Majora's Mask in the ending.
Some people keep talking about beating hero mode for the answer but I don't know how true that is.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Anybody else noticed (story spoiler):
The new sages, when Link leaves the Sage Chamber, each take the same pose the sages from Ocarina of Time take when they are about to seal Ganon?

Guesong

Just finished it.

I personnally think this is handheld Zelda perfection, but I wouldn't like it as much if they took this approach with the next Wii U Zelda.

Handheld means I can play on the go, and the rent-an-item makes it excellent to do so. Just pick the nearest dungeon and voila!

Dungeon length were quite appropriate as well. Not too short and it makes sure to not overstay its welcome for the most part.

Bravo, Nintendo.

R0ckman

The new sages, when Link leaves the Sage Chamber, each take the same pose the sages from Ocarina of Time take when they are about to seal Ganon?

Yep noticed immediately.

I'm surprised the let Yuga
hijack Ganon
. I was pleased with this move greatly.

EVH

The game is full with this kind of awesome details. For example:

When Yuganon starts saying that he does not care about Lorule - probably already in control by Ganon - the camera just places in front of his face directly remembering the scene that appears when you die in the original Zelda.

This was so easily recognizable and so awesome that made the battle and the context even more awesome.

Love love love this game, but man, it does a great job at making me feel like an idiot sometimes. Like I just beat my head against a wall for an hour, then walk away, come back to it and it all becomes apparent. I guess I haven't really even tried using the hint glasses yet...maybe those would help my cause.

takriel

Love love love this game, but man, it does a great job at making me feel like an idiot sometimes. Like I just beat my head against a wall for an hour, then walk away, come back to it and it all becomes apparent. I guess I haven't really even tried using the hint glasses yet...maybe those would help my cause.

The solution is in most cases is the wall mechanic. So just try that out if you're stuck!

R0ckman

When Yuganon starts saying that he does not care about Lorule - probably already in control by Ganon - the camera just places in front of his face directly remembering the scene that appears when you die in the original Zelda.

This was so easily recognizable and so awesome that made the battle and the context even more awesome.

Not implied that Ganon took him over, there was no dialogue change and he kept going on about his damn paintings. I find it amusing that people want tradition so bad that they'll make claims like this. I KNEW someone would try to claim this as well.

The soundtrack is AMAZING, this composer HAS TO BE the one for Zelda WiiU. His pieces are incredible. I had a magical moment in
Ice Ruins
thanks to a combination of design, atmosphere, gameplay and soundtrack. Maybe the best dungeon variation is the one I heard first, wich happens to be the "normal" one
(thieves' hideout)
but I just can't stop thinking about the magic I felt in the
Ice Ruins

The last tracks you hear are just pure eargasm.

Yeah absolutely! I hope he "fuses" with Koji Kondo to make ultimate soundtracks, oh my god just imagine it!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Donno about the control aspect, but I do like that the 3D model of Ganon has the one raised eyebrow like the Zelda II game over screen.

Socreges

Banned
Hint glasses are for wimps, son.

Really smart mechanic to balance out the difficulty for kids. Same with the fortune teller. Allows the game to be more challenging. I just wish Hero mode was available from the beginning.

Just beat the Ice Ruins. IMO, that is the most challenging dungeon so far (the only one left for me is Dark Palace). A lot of ways to lose hearts by falling off the little platforms and the boss got me down to 1.5 hearts, too. Took me forever to figure out how to get 2 of the chests there. D; Of course, after I figured it out, I was like "oh duh... dummy."

ryushe

Finished it earlier and I'm of two absolutely polarizing minds about this game.

On the one hand, a sequel this is not. At times ALbW straddles that line between being a respectful homage to one of the best games not only in the franchise, but in gaming that it honestly makes you feel warm and nostalgic when things like you
walking into the Lost Woods and watch the animals scatter as you approach the Master Sword
scene occurs, or when you
go under the bridge to get that old dudes empty bottle,
but then there are other times that it outright copies things from A Link to the Past so closely that its to the point that this is a remake in all but name. They even have some of the same bosses from ALttP, down to the look and the same ways you fight them and it's honestly a little disappointing in the regard.

On the other hand however, not only is this now my favorite handheld Zelda, respectively knocking Links Awakening and Minish Cap off their ridiculously high pedestals, Link Between Worlds might just very well be the best Legend of Zelda game I've ever played. Period.

Everything just feels so damn good. From the gameplay (which I didn't think I could go back to a top-down Zelda after Skyward's Sword exquisite combat, but I was wrong), to it being an unflinching 60fps, even in 3D, all the way to the magnificent painting gimmick that makes not only traversing Hyrule/Lorule a joy, but the dungeons and puzzles themselves an absolute blast to solve. I do honestly feel the item rental mechanic does more harm than good (Well, it's a good idea, it's just the risk is mitigated by how easy it is to get money), and that, while I loved the painting mechanic overall, there were very few times where it was used in combat in any meaningful way, but still, overall this is an absolutely fantastic title that I honestly feel a little guilty in liking so much because of how closely it rest on laurels ALttP's set before.

I have to reflect on the entire game, but I'll say one thing, Nintendo hasn't made a Zelda game this good in a very, very long time.

KarmaCow

Is there something wrong my 3DS because the game was definitely not 60 fps locked. It was really good most of the time but I found that hitches about half the time you merge into the wall. It's not a deal breaker but with people saying the game is a locked 60 along with what seems like long load times in other games, I'm worried something might be wrong with my 3DS.

Is there something wrong my 3DS because the game was definitely not 60 fps locked. It was really good most of the time but I found that hitches about half the time you merge into the wall. It's not a deal breaker but with people saying the game is a locked 60 along with what seems like long load times in other games, I'm worried something might be wrong with my 3DS.
That sounds pretty unusual to me.

Rich!

Nothing wrong with your 3DS. I got framerate drops too. Really really rare though, limited to wall merging sequences and scenes with loads of effects

Keyouta

Yeah it definitely slows down during some wall merges and going around corners in wall mode.

Top Bottom