• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

caesar

Banned
I agree.
Ganon really doesn't have much of a role in this game at all. It could have been a amulet or a jewel that made Yuga more powerful for all it mattered. In a way this makes the game feel like of like Majora's Mask where Ganon is even less present.

Huh,
I figured Yuga basically is Ganondorf.. just an alternate reality version so he IS also Ganon kinda.. rather than controlling him.
Could be wrong.

beril

They're different places to my knowledge. The Dark World is
a corruption of the sacred realm (it's mentioned when you first enter Dark World in A Link to the Past)
where as Lorule is completely new. Not 100% sure about that but that's the impression I got.

Yes but why does it look exactly the same as Dark World if there's apparently no connection? It would have made so much more sense to have it just be Dark World again. I guess technically DW should have transformed to the sacred realm after aLttP, but it would have been pretty easy to add a plotpoint that something went wrong and it stayed dark and started crumbling.

The Boat

Yes but why does it look exactly the same as Dark World if there's apparently no connection? It would have made so much more sense to have it just be Dark World again. I guess technically DW should have transformed to the sacred realm after aLttP, but it would have been pretty easy to add a plotpoint that something went wrong and it stayed dark and started crumbling.

Infinite parallel worlds and all that. I'm not sure it would make a lot of sense to have Lorule and the characters we see in the Dark World.
Leaving the details up for the players to figure out is part of the series' tradition anyway.

jwhit28

I thought the story was pretty good for what it is.
Hilda and Yuga knew how to obtain the Triforce of Wisdom and the Triforce of Power, but they had to recreate the events of ALttP to draw out the legendary hero and use him to obtain the Triforce of Courage. Of course at the end Hilda made a very OoT Zelda style blunder with her plan and Yuga was just as corrupt as any holder of the Triforce of Power.

DaBoss

Infinite parallel worlds and all that. I'm not sure it would make a lot of sense to have Lorule and the characters we see in the Dark World.
Leaving the details up for the players to figure out is part of the series' tradition anyway.
I think in this case they should have explained in the story how it came to exist. That's my only gripe with the story.

Parallel universe is my guess.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Lorule is not the Dark World. That much is clear.

The Dark World is Hyrule's Sacred Realm (called Golden Land in the original ALTTP) corrupted by Ganon's influence over the Triforce.
Lorule is another world completely.
Corrupted by the destruction of Lorule's Triforce. I think the fact that both corruptions involve the Triforce is the reason why Lorule and the Dark World look so similar.

Mecca

I feel like an idiot. I was stuck in the Dark Palace for much longer than I want to admit because
I couldn't figure out how to hit the three switches. Every time I took out my bombs, I could only drop them, not throw them. I even used the hint glasses and still couldn't figure it out. Turns out since I upgraded my bombs I couldn't just throw them. I had to drop it, then pick it up with the titan mitts and then throw it.
Duh!

I'm about to fight the final boss. I got the majority of the heart pieces except for the ones related to the mini games. I'm just not up for the frustration. Maybe after I beat the boss, I may go back and try to collect them all. I'm actually having trouble getting to the one
on top of Death Mountain. It's right next to the passage to Lorule.
I can't figure out how to get over there. :(

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm about to fight the final boss. I got the majority of the heart pieces except for the ones related to the mini games. I'm just not up for the frustration. Maybe after I beat the boss, I may go back and try to collect them all. I'm actually having trouble getting to the one
on top of Death Mountain. It's right next to the passage to Lorule.
I can't figure out how to get over there. :(

If you want to know:
that cave that took you to the Ice Ruins, you need to go in there. There's a platform that has one of those giant ice gargoyles. You have to head to the west and use the tornado rod to get on one of the higher platforms, then continue north. If you're going the right way, there'll be a set of platforms (one you're standing on, one higher) that move simultaneously. Same thing, use the tornado rod to progress. Eventually you'll make it outside, and you can figure out the rest :)

Man I can't find the damn upgraded power gloves to lift the big stones. Its gotta be in a dungeon but I have this sneaking suspicion I am missing something.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Man I can't find the damn upgraded power gloves to lift the big stones. Its gotta be in a dungeon but I have this sneaking suspicion I am missing something.

Desert Palace. Keep looking.

I don't understand how some of you guys can leave a dungeon when there's still a chest on the map. Me, it drives me crazy.

Mecca

If you want to know:
that cave that took you to the Ice Ruins, you need to go in there. There's a platform that has one of those giant ice gargoyles. You have to head to the west and use the tornado rod to get on one of the higher platforms, then continue north. If you're going the right way, there'll be a set of platforms (one you're standing on, one higher) that move simultaneously. Same thing, use the tornado rod to progress. Eventually you'll make it outside, and you can figure out the rest :)

Thanks! :)

I don't understand how some of you guys can leave a dungeon when there's still a chest on the map. Me, it drives me crazy.
I've cleared 2 dungeons completely but I'm trying to explore more of the overworld before diving back in.

Madouu

Well my gf had the day off today so I gave her the game so she could try it out this afternoon. She hasn't stopped playing since.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just finished a bit ago, 27620 rupees found, times defeated 0, time played 15:53. Probably could've finished it quicker, but I didn't start the Maiamai thing until I only had 2 dungeons left, counting the last one lol. Got all the heart pieces and Maiamai though, and got all the items+upgrades, including the lantern and net.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, though it's a bit easy (I'm sure hero mode would fix that a bit). The music and graphics are great, and everything is smooth, with only some rare slowdown. I kind of feel like it could do the job of being a LTTP for a new generation, and for us old timers, it does a good job of blending the old with the new. There's a sense of nostalgic familiarity in everything, but the new items and differences in the world help to also keep it fresh, like ramyeon and Goldenroad were discussing earlier. The merge ability does make you consider the world a bit more, but most of the time when you have to use it, it's fairly obvious, but still executed well enough. Most of the dungeons were decent, with my favorite probably being the Swamp Palace (love that music :D), though I'd have to think a bit more as to whether I'd classify them as exceptional. The item rental system I'm of two minds of. On one hand, I kind of liked the freedom accessing any of the items whenever I wanted, but on the other, it was a bit too easy to get everything. I did like how some of the dungeons still had items to find. I'll have to think about that a bit more.

Definitely another solid title to this amazing year the 3DS has had. I'm satisfied for sure :)

BY2K

Membero Americo
FYI the last boss does 40 hearts of damage in Hero Mode if you have the Green Tunic. With the Red one, 2 hits and it's death.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think the Dungeons in this game are pretty boring, the Overworld is the best part...reminds me of Wind Waker in this way, although even then WW's Dungeons were visually cool.

Darryl

Banned
Just finished the game ( still have a few hearts and
one master ore
left to find).

Really amazing game but it felt kindof weird how similiar it is to aLttP in some ways. It's like they made a remake and then added a second quest, or a really lazy (but good) sequel that reuses everything à la Majoras Mask, except they skipped releasing the original. Not that I mind revisiting the LttP world, it just feels somewhat odd that they're reusing so much, especially since they're not actually reusing anything.

One thing that bugged me though is that they never explained or even acknowledged the connection between Lorule and Dark World. It's quite obviously the same place, but doesn't really connect storywise at all unless I'm missing something.

i had thought originally that they had outsourced the game which is why it looked so familiar to LTTP. yet, it doesn't look like they did any of that. they could've made an entirely different world out of this but didn't. all in all it is a pretty curious decision but it looks like it worked.

matt360

Does anyone know exactly how many weather vane save points there are in both Hyrule and Lorule? I don't want to know where they are, just how many there are, since I'd still like to find them by myself. Thanks!

Vibranium

Banned
I finally got the game and I'm loving it, the 60FPS is doing wonders for me and the characters are all great. Making my way through my first dungeon at the moment.

Garcia

Just a small complaint: Collecting the 100 Maiamai babies was extremely easy to do. I expected more of a challenge.

Still loving this game so much. It's gorgeous.

ramyeon

You can't miss the Titan's Mitts. They're required to clear that dungeon.

But yeah, I can't either. Gladly so because otherwise I could have missed several
pieces of Master Ore.

Drago

Just finished my first dungeon in Lorule. Kinda short and easy, although one puzzle (yes, wall related...) had to drive me to a walkthrough. I felt so dumb, hehe.

This game is awesome. I'm surprised just how much I'm loving it! Having just come off my first LttP play through right before this, I think I'm liking this one better so far. It's really, really good. Hell, I think I'm having more fun with this than Mario 3D World. And I adored just about everything in 3D World.

I think this game is the biggest surprise hit for me this year.

Chris R

Am I missing something? Is there no way to bottle a fairy? I've come across fountains and have empty bottles but equipping them does nothing. Unless do I need a butterfly net ala ALTTP?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Am I missing something? Is there no way to bottle a fairy? I've come across fountains and have empty bottles but equipping them does nothing. Unless do I need a butterfly net ala ALTTP?

Yep. Go to the bug kid in town, he'll give you the net.

Aeana

I'm still early on (just now arrived in Lorule), but it just struck me that this is it. This is the Zelda game I've been waiting for.

KHlover

Banned
Haha damn, I think I need your help, guys. Could anyone please give me a hint where to search for the remaining two pieces of Master Ore?

I already got one piece from the Thieves Hideout (I think) and one from the Church of Lorule

Need dat Master Sword Lv. 3!

Bullza2o

I'm still early on (just now arrived in Lorule), but it just struck me that this is it. This is the Zelda game I've been waiting for.

I'm at the same point as you. Every single minute I'm blown away by how amazing this game looks, sounds, and plays. It's that great.

I have one dungeon left to do (the one on top of death mountain)... I don't want this game to end :/
I want to believe that the Wii U Zelda will be equally as awesome, but I have become a bit pessimistic regarding this series. Anyway, I'm just happy that there's a Zelda game in 2013 that feels genuinely new and exciting, despite the fact that it draws heavily from ALTTP.

Kyzon

This game was great. The only thing that I felt was lacking was the story somewhat. I'm not sure where I got this idea that Zelda tends to have a bunch of fleshed out characters and stories, but I had that in my mind, and that kinda altered my perception of this game.

I would say that's it's one of my favorites though. I rarely immediately go for a second run on games. I just started mine after finishing my 1st run today.

Also,
does this count as another case of Ganon stealing the plot?

EVH

I can totally see what you mean and I feel kinda the same. Why specifying a timeline and then doing something like they did? They could just addressed the reuse of the scenarios and the timeline point with some hints in a few lines of text.

In case you finished the game:

I was totally expecting that the wish from Zelda and Link was to make the sacred realm the world of Lorule. This would not only give Lorule a triforce, but also share it with Hyrule. I mean, actually if this is a sequel to ALTTP it was already the sacred realm, but perhaps it just became completely independent after some centuries. At the end of ALTTP the Dark World should dissappear as it is just a product of Ganon's whishes, but as it is shown in this game, it is still there.

Who knows, maybe this game is even in another timeline and it is a reinterpretation of ALTTP, but that also does not make too much sense because all the background story the game tells you near the start of it.

Perhaps it's just me who is missing something.

mdtauk

I can totally see what you mean and I feel kinda the same. Why specifying a timeline and then doing something like they did? They could just addressed the reuse of the scenarios and the timeline point with some hints in a few lines of text.

I was totally expecting that the wish from Zelda and Link was to make the sacred realm the world of Lorule. This would not only give Lorule a triforce, but also share it with Hyrule. I mean, actually if this is a sequel to ALTTP it was already the sacred realm, but perhaps it just became completely independent after some centuries. At the end of ALTTP the Dark World should dissappear as it is just a product of Ganon's whishes, but as it is shown in this game, it is still there.

Who knows, maybe this game is even in another timeline and it is a reinterpretation of ALTTP, but that also does not make too much sense because all the background story the game tells you near the start of it.

Lorule is not the Dark World. It has more in common with Termina.
It is a parallel world created (presumably) at the same time as Hyrule was, with it's own Triforce, and Sacred Realm! Instead of just sealing the Triforce away, the ancients of Lorule destroyed it, and that led to their world breaking apart and turning all dark and twisted.

teeny

Lorule and the Dark World are two completely different, distinct areas. There are reasons for similarity, however.

The Dark World used to be the Golden Land / Sacred Realm but was corrupted when Ganon was sealed away there by the sages. The Golden Land is a parallel world much the same as Lorule, but as the resting place of the Triforce, it was more prosperous. At the end of ALTTP, the Dark World is restored to the Golden Land by Link after defeating Ganon. This can be seen at the end of ALBW when Zelda and Link return to their sacred realm and make the wish to restore Lorule's inverted Triforce. That IS the Golden Land.

Lorule is a parallel world that was similar to Hyrule in multiple ways. It was corrupted when the inverted Triforce was destroyed in an attempt to prevent the wars being fought over it.

If Hyrule had followed the same path, then Hyrule would also become corrupted and turn into something very much like the Dark World seen in ALTTP. Similarly, if Ganon had succeeded in breaking the seal in the original game, then it is likely the Dark World and Hyrule would have been indistinguishable from one another.

Honestly, if the series was going to go down the Time Travel route, then it might as well go down the infinite parallel dimensions route as well; we are just seeing one of those many worlds where things occurred slightly differently.

Also, it can be argued that Termina and the Twilight Realm are also parallel worlds, in the same way that Lorule is.

Top Bottom